PDA

View Full Version : R2SL Volunteers

Archangel
Wed Apr 25th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I was informed that some people were having trouble getting a hold of me? If that is the case, please try the following.

racing2savelives at gmail dot com
(seven two zero) eight one zero - two seven eight five

For volunteers that haven't been in contact with me, I would love to know when your going to be available to help out, when your riding, what you'd like to be helping with, etc...

Lets have a great event!!! See everyone soon!

Warren Rose
R2SL MMP Volunteer Coordinator

konichd
Wed Apr 25th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Warren,
To be totally honest, this is an absoulute fuckin' mess. No one knows what time they're working, nor what part (tech, registration, etc.) I've heard more complaints than I want to hear about this but at this point I have more important things to do.

In the future there needs to be a list of Who, When, Where printed out BEFORE the event to insure things run smoothly. This is a cluster-fuck to say the least. :(

Sully
Wed Apr 25th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Hey Warren - just e-mailed ya ! Thanks !!

Konichd - play nice ! :slap:

Archangel
Wed Apr 25th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Warren,
To be totally honest, this is an absoulute fuckin' mess. No one knows what time they're working, nor what part (tech, registration, etc.) I've heard more complaints than I want to hear about this but at this point I have more important things to do.

In the future there needs to be a list of Who, When, Where printed out BEFORE the event to insure things run smoothly. This is a cluster-fuck to say the least. :(

That's funny Dave... I do in fact have all the info I needed from you, and I thank you for it. If people are upset why haven't they contacted me? The only mess that I knew about was with rider coaching, and I think that's under control.

I have a list of poeple for Registration, Tech, and Silent Auction, etc... Then a list of a few people who are willing to help anywhere, this includes you.

My biggest list BY FAR is people who haven't responded to any of my emails when I request then to tell me when they'll be there.

If there a mess going on, please let me know, but as of right now, you're the only person who I've heard this from, AND from what I can tell it's fairly unsubstantiated.

Archangel
Wed Apr 25th, 2007, 11:23 AM
If you know any of these people, have them callemail me. I dont' know when they're going to be at the event.

Jenny Lucicero
Michael Newhouse
Zane White
Chris Anderson
Amy Cadena
Emy Cordano
Eric Farr
Amy Marasco
Jeff O'Brian
Margaret Oliver
Kelly Rees
Sasha Taranto
Tom Warren
Dan Wildhirt
Mike Jaeger
Trevor Martin

konichd
Wed Apr 25th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Well I know for a fact a few people contacted you about volunteering and haven't heard anything back, so they're not volunteering at the event. If you want names I'll be more than happy to name them.

I wasn't the only one upset at the meeting last night that the volunteer list hasn't been generated for people to know what part their working on.

I know I said "put me anywhere" and that is fine but I'd like to know what I'm doing on what days. I hope your 15 minutes of training is enough before this kicks off on Thur.

CBRChick
Wed Apr 25th, 2007, 12:01 PM
As with anything that is relatively new, there will be major bumps in the road, leading to frustration, confusion, etc. As far as I know, this is the first year that there ever has been a Volunteer Coordinator... so, FWIW, even though things haven't gone as smoothly as we would all like, I think we should thank Warren for taking on such a big job (one that I don't think anyone really wanted to do in the first place) without any type of training or advice as to how it should be done.

eklew
Wed Apr 25th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I volunteer DK to STFU!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Warren, I will work tech whenever ya need!

Sully
Wed Apr 25th, 2007, 04:46 PM
:lol: Eklew !

Feathered upstart!
Wed Apr 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I volunteer DK to STFU!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Warren, I will work tech whenever ya need!
:lol:

scott_tiller
Thu Apr 26th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Warren,

Hey dipshit. You come to a couple of meetings and act like you know what the hell is going on. If you say to put me anywhere, then why the hell do you need to know where you will be. You will be put where we are short on people and need help.

If you can't handle this, then please (at least from me) don't bother showing up. We have so many people that want to "volunteer" and never come through, so we don't know for sure where people are needed until the event.

Yes, everyone is running around doing everything/ anything that they can like chickens with their head cut off. If you actually sit down and think how many people it would take to run this with no problems, cut that in 1/4, and that is what we have in true "volunteers".

So please in the future, keep your unwanted opinions to yourself.

Dizzy D
Thu Apr 26th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Dave you need to chill out - those are the attitudes that chase people away. I for one am very thankfull that Warren is doing this. I have been to the events and seen what happens without a volunteer coordinator. THAT WAS A MESS.

What Warren has been doing is new for everyone and is a massive amount of work. To be honest if people are getting there panties in a wad because someone does not answer an e-mail fast enough, we do not want that kind of help at the event.

Enough said.

Thanks a ton Warren for helping Ralph out I appreciate it.

*KEN*
Thu Apr 26th, 2007, 08:51 PM
FWIW I went to one of your meetings with the intention of volunteering. The meeting was slightly helpful, but mostly a waste of time. It was a waste because there was no direction and very little vision - it seemed to me like they were looking for the volunteers to take charge and organize. I was stunned, especially knowing that this isn't the first year that this event has taken place. To an outsider looking to help, it certainly looked like a mess at that point. I can't speak about how things are now. Back then it was a bunch of people sitting around and wondering how they could help, yet receiving very little guidance. I say that I can't speak about how things are now - that's because nobody has contacted me since that meeting, so I don't know what's going on and I'm not interested in volunteering anymore. It's no wonder to me that people flake on volunteering.

I'm not trying to cause conflict, but I feel the event is a great idea that could be handled better. I don't think that I met Warren and my comments are not neccesarilly intended for him. Maybe my experiance was pre-Warren. Still, nobody has contacted me. My main complaint is that volunteering should be made as easy as possible for the volunteer. They should not have to chase after the organizers to ask them how they can help. Maybe there are plenty of volunteers this year, but I heard that there was a relative lack of them last year. If someone expresses the interest of helping, one of the organizers needs to follow up with that person. Maybe there is some sort of schedule now, but during my meeting, nobody even knew how many volunteers were needed at each position. People wanted to know what job they could do to help and when they would be needed. People want to hear "we need someone to do tech inspection for the 1st and 3rd session on Friday." The meeting that I was at may have been the 2nd or 3rd meeting, but like I said, this isn't the first R2SL event...

rybo
Thu Apr 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I've got a couple of things to add:

1. Warren came on to the scene very late in the game and took on a job that no one else wanted. That he's getting ANY success at all is really amazing. Warren's first task when stepping into the coordinator position was to deal with the rider coach situation. It was a complete firestorm and VERY difficult to manage. He did an amazing job of not only putting that fire out, but actually getting people to talk to each other. The words "On the Job Training" have never been more aptly used.

2. While this isn't the first R2SL event, this event grows and changes so much each year that it's hard to determine what's needed.

Is it a bit of a cluster? yup, but that is part of what makes it great. believe me when I tell you, you'll be amazed at how it all comes together when we get there.

Scott

Archangel
Thu Apr 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Ken,

I would like to appoligize personally for not contacting you. I had a giant list of volunteers and have tried to contact every one of them. Many of my emails have been to a large group of people and I'm afraid that they may get caught by SPAM filters. I may have also lost an email before setting up a separate R2SL account. I did step in pretty late in the game, and R2SL has had some glitched this year, but it looks like we're set of to have an awesome event. It did take longer than we all hoped to get things organized.

I'm not sure if you will be at the event, but if you're interested in helping out in your free time let me know. I'm sure we have guys in the auction, race control, tech inspection, track entry, etc... that would love to ride a few hours here and there. We can use a few extra hands just about everywhere. Right now we have enough people to work the event, but the amount of riding time they get may be limited.

So even if you have not been to any of the meetings and would like to help, shoot me an email (racing2savelives at gmail.com) or find me at the track while your there. We'll find something for you to help with.

Thanks,
Warren

konichd
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 08:17 AM
FWIW I went to one of your meetings with the intention of volunteering. The meeting was slightly helpful, but mostly a waste of time. It was a waste because there was no direction and very little vision - it seemed to me like they were looking for the volunteers to take charge and organize. I was stunned, especially knowing that this isn't the first year that this event has taken place. To an outsider looking to help, it certainly looked like a mess at that point. I can't speak about how things are now. Back then it was a bunch of people sitting around and wondering how they could help, yet receiving very little guidance. I say that I can't speak about how things are now - that's because nobody has contacted me since that meeting, so I don't know what's going on and I'm not interested in volunteering anymore. It's no wonder to me that people flake on volunteering.

I'm not trying to cause conflict, but I feel the event is a great idea that could be handled better. I don't think that I met Warren and my comments are not neccesarilly intended for him. Maybe my experiance was pre-Warren. Still, nobody has contacted me. My main complaint is that volunteering should be made as easy as possible for the volunteer. They should not have to chase after the organizers to ask them how they can help. Maybe there are plenty of volunteers this year, but I heard that there was a relative lack of them last year. If someone expresses the interest of helping, one of the organizers needs to follow up with that person. Maybe there is some sort of schedule now, but during my meeting, nobody even knew how many volunteers were needed at each position. People wanted to know what job they could do to help and when they would be needed. People want to hear "we need someone to do tech inspection for the 1st and 3rd session on Friday." The meeting that I was at may have been the 2nd or 3rd meeting, but like I said, this isn't the first R2SL event...

Exactly! :)

We had people show up at the last meeting yet were offered no guidence or assistance and you won't be seeing them volunteer at Miller either.

Point blank, this could have been handled better.

konichd
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Hey dipshit. You come to a couple of meetings and act like you know what the hell is going on. If you say to put me anywhere, then why the hell do you need to know where you will be. You will be put where we are short on people and need help.

If you can't handle this, then please (at least from me) don't bother showing up. We have so many people that want to "volunteer" and never come through, so we don't know for sure where people are needed until the event.

Yes, everyone is running around doing everything/ anything that they can like chickens with their head cut off. If you actually sit down and think how many people it would take to run this with no problems, cut that in 1/4, and that is what we have in true "volunteers".

So please in the future, keep your unwanted opinions to yourself.

Hey dipshit. I would like to know where/what I'm doing BEFORE the event so I can prepare to do the best job I can.

For instance Einstien

Registration - Time, whats proper dress code, how does the system work?
Bike Tech - How do we tech bikes so its consistant? Are their gloves/glasses for volunteers? Whats permitable dress code?
Track opening/exit - What do you check for? How many bikes at a time/intervals, proper dress attire for volunteers?

And the list goes on.................

Just because I said "put me anywhere" does not mean "don't give me a fuckin' clue as to what I'm doing until I show up"

If anyone has a problem I will have no problem canceling my volunteer efforts :)

FWI I've been to every meeting but one, I've volunteered my time at the Fay Myers open house, I'm also donoting $100 of my own money to make the "temporary" signage for the event.

Banshee
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM
http://www.specialkidsfund.org/images/mainpic.jpg

http://www.dreamsdocometrue.org/kids-charities.jpg

http://www.kids-international.org/images/firefly/vlado.jpg

http://www.kids-international.org/images/firefly/mostarkids.jpg

:slap:

See you in Utah, Bitches!!!

CBRChick
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 09:01 AM
:slap:

See you in Utah, Bitches!!!

Thanks for the wonderful reminder why we're doing this, Tim. :)

konichd
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I apologize for letting my frustration poor over.

Scott (tiller), I hope your right and in the end we can shake hands and I'll buy you a beer, share a good laugh and move on.

The point I wanted to make is that volunteers are an essential part to the smooth operation of this event. Participants, observer's, and to some extent the organizations we donate to will be able to see the difference in volunteers attitudes at the event. When people don't know what thier doing, when thier doing it this causes confussion and anxt that could unfortunately represent R2SL in detrimental fashion.

I want to do 120% with my volunteer efforts, however not being provided with critical information on how to handle certain aspects of the event have dropped my confidence level.

I will do ANYTHING for help for this event, but I'm not going to BEG to help. I have extended my offers of help, but only will do that once. All a person has to do is ask and I'll be there.

I'm psyc'd for the event, I just wish the volunteer effort was coordinated so ensure the event runs as smooth as possible. :)

Archangel
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 01:50 PM
The initial schedule will be sent this weekend. I'm hoping to finish it up tonight and tomorrow. If you have volunteer questions, please send them directly to me. If you send them to the address at racing2savelives.org it takes a little while for me to get them. I don't have the schedule finished because poeple keep bailing on me, changing their schedule, or say their not available anymore. I'm finding it difficult to solidify a schedule that's fluid in it's nature.

Dave, I have you down as a Pit Steward. Your dress code should be appropriate for the weather. Do not wear open toed shoes, because if we need you on the track or hot pit for whatever reason, it's required. Please also be over the age of 16 for this reason.

The pit steward position requires that you are nice to people. Answer questions, and give opinions. If someone wants to know where tech is, you point the way. If you see someone causing problems, ask them to stop. If they ask what track they should go, etc... Pit stewards are one of our main embassadors to the riders. Walk around answer questions, make sure everybody is having an awesome time.

I may also need to you work track entry, race control, or tech inspection at various times throughout the event. If someone at the auction wants a break, I may ask you to go fill in for half an hour.

As I stated before, any and all volunteers are welcome. We will find you something to do, and if you don't like it, we'll find you somoething else. At this point in time I would love to have more people on my list.

Warren

Filo
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Dave, I have you down as a Pit Steward. Your dress code should be appropriate for the weather. Do not wear open toed shoes, because if we need you on the track or hot pit for whatever reason, it's required. Please also be over the age of 16 for this reason.

Dave (and anyone else) is welcome to volunteer for silent auction duty. Most of the time it involves hanging out in the silent auction area watching over the bid sheets to make sure they don't disappear and showing the merchandise to people when they ask to see it. We have our own bathroom. We get to sit down in the shade. Last year Ben Bostrom came by and he and I had a little chat about the stuff in the auction, buying houses, what it is like to be rich and famous (me, not him), etc. Then the auction closes and things get hectic for a few hours, then you hand out goods to people with receipts. That is it. You can wear shorts. I think we will have shirts, but if not your event t-shirt is enough. You can hold Valentino Rossis helmet that he signed that I just got in the mail yesterday. Or Loris Capirossis. Or Bostroms. You can do this during your off sessions (if you have them). You can even eat and drink while you do it. You don't have to be there all day - that is my job.

If that sounds good to you, email Warren and tell him that you want to do it and what times you are available.

Archangel
Mon Apr 30th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Did everyone who wanted the volunteer schedule receive it? I sent it out last night, and a slightly revise one this morning. See everyone is a few days!!!