PDA

View Full Version : R-1 owners

Feeder
Sun Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:54 PM
Hey guys (gals),

Moving up here from nebraska really did a number on the size of my bikes fuzzy nuts. I actually have to work to get the front tire off the ground :o

What mods would benefit me the most up here? A PCIII? Aftermarket can? -1 tooth in the front? i don't want to toss a whole lotta money into it right now, but anything I can do to bring it back up to what I'm used to would be great.

Peace

Anonymous
Sun Feb 2nd, 2003, 05:28 PM
I assume you have an '02 R1 if you mention the PCIII. Yes that will help, as will the exhaust. Also look into an aftermarket air filter. The smaller sprocket in the front will improve acceleration but you will miss some top end - if you even care on that bike. :D It'll make it the wheelie machine you remember as well...

DrEvilR1
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 08:41 AM
I agree with forsythe...I experienced a mild benefit using a K&N filter on my 99 'R1. It wasn't a HUGE gain, but at 5280, I'll take what I can get! :roll:

Anonymous
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 09:24 AM
What year is your R1? Like rforsythe said, it sounds like an '02 if you're talking PCIII.

Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket (or going up a few on the rear) is the least expensive mod you can do facilitate wheelies, but you will loose top-end.

If your bike is fuel-injected and you go with an aftermarket slip-on, you will have to get a PCIII.

What gear are you trying to pull wheelies in- 1st or 2nd? You should have no problem doing standups in both gears, even with a stock R1 - it just takes practice. In first gear, at about 30 mph, stand up on the pegs & crack the throttle about 1/4 open while pulling up on the bars - if you're not used to standups, BE CAREFUL, because in 1st the bike will COME UP FAST - better to start with too little throttle and work your way up than to flip the bike on your first try. For 1st gear sit-downs, you should be able to do it with the revs around 6000, get off the throttle fast (to let the forks compress) then quickly whack the throttle (about 1/2 to 3/4 open - you'll have to play with it to figure out how much throttle you actually need).

2nd gear standups are similar to 1st gear ones, I like to start mine at about 65 mph.

Let me know if there's any other help you need.

Feeder
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Spiderman,

My bike is a '02, and honestly I was very suprised at the amount of power i lost coming up to this elevation. i thought the fuel injection was supposed to compensate for that :cry: Anywho, I'm no stranger to wheelies (stoppies are a different story) In Nebraska all i had to do was look at her funny and she was up on one wheel. Here, i can get it up in first, but it's almost a chore...I'm hitting red line to quick.

The top end is not a problem, It's got enough to spare. I've given her all she's got once...and had to change my drawers. It's just way too fast to be going on two wheels. I think a K & N and a sprocket change are the way to go. Next question is, Know anybody that can do that? I don't want to take it to Vickery and me with tools is like Tommy with Pamala...I just don't have the touch. Suggestions??

Anonymous
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Spiderman,

My bike is a '02, and honestly I was very suprised at the amount of power i lost coming up to this elevation. i thought the fuel injection was supposed to compensate for that :cry: Anywho, I'm no stranger to wheelies (stoppies are a different story) In Nebraska all i had to do was look at her funny and she was up on one wheel. Here, i can get it up in first, but it's almost a chore...I'm hitting red line to quick.

The top end is not a problem, It's got enough to spare. I've given her all she's got once...and had to change my drawers. It's just way too fast to be going on two wheels. I think a K & N and a sprocket change are the way to go. Next question is, Know anybody that can do that? I don't want to take it to Vickery and me with tools is like Tommy with Pamala...I just don't have the touch. Suggestions??

Buy the parts you want, bring it over. I can do both in about 30 min.

Feeder
Thu Feb 6th, 2003, 09:49 PM
rforsythe,

Hey man, I might just take you up on that. I'm trying to become more mechanically inclined, and I'd actually like to see how this is done :? I'll check the net for parts. Now all I need is for the snow to clear up