PDA

View Full Version : My Key won't turn to "Off"

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 02:36 PM
So I went on my lunch to get my hair cut...bike shuts off fine. I ride back to work, and my key won't turn to the left. Fortunately the bike has a Parking Light option which shuts the bike down, but it leaves my tail light on. I cannot for the life of me, get the key to turn to the Off position? Anyone?

it's a 03 ZX6R - never had any problems before.

So right now the key is sitting in the bike, and it's positioned 1/2 way between on and the parking option so the light stays off. I can get the key out if i move all the way to park but then the light stays on. I don't want to drain the battery, and i don't want my bike stolen.:cry:

pilot
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I use to work for a locksmith and I'm beating my brains out on finding a diagram of the kawasaki lock. No luck.

This sounds like some debris is trapped inside the shim housing. If you can get a hold of some oil -even veggy oil you may be able to let a drop or tow slide down the side of the key into the loc, This might loosen the lock so that the shims or pins can move freely. There is a detent at the bottom of the cylinder that allows you to turn the key all the way to the off/release postion. This too may be "frozen".

Try cycling the key as far as it will go, without bending it. If you can get hold of a table knife you can use the heavy end to tap the cylinder. This may free the key up.

Devaclis
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I have also had this issue with the Hawk.. I put some graphite powder lubricant in the cylinder and worked it back and forth with the key with positive results.

Bueller
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Where is it parked?

Sparker
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Where is it parked?

No Bueller!! :lol:

scottiegwood
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 04:44 PM
i had some trouble getting my key to turn in the gas tank key hole... WD-40 did it for me

Bueller
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I would refrain from using WD-40, it is a dirt magnet

dirkterrell
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 06:18 PM
+1 on Dana's advice to use graphite. That's what you want for locks.

Dirk

scottiegwood
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 10:01 PM
probably a good call... hurray for being a noob. well haven't had any trouble since (crosses his fingers)