PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 4/29 Canyons and Wheelies

pixel 6
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Hi guys!

Looking to get a group together for this Sunday. As it stands now, we will most likely do the Evergreen to Squaw Pass route. From there we will go from Idaho Springs to Central City Speedway....oop....Parkway onto 119, then down Golden Gate Canyon to complete the loop.

Depending on the interest and/or ability level of the riders that join us, we'll cap off the day with a controlled wheelie/learning/instruction session at one of the more secluded training grounds. The faint of heart are welcome come and watch, while anyone else interested in learning how to wheelie safely are invited to advance their understanding of their bike. This general instruction on how to do wheelies will start with the assumption that no one is currently able to launch a controlled wheelie. We'll start at ground level, and by the end of the session expect to be able to do controlled "hoppers". Fun! Fun! Fun!

So for those of you who wish to join us for the canyons MUST have helmet and gloves. For those interested in doing a wheelie session we request that you also have leather jacket and boots covering the ankles.

Meet up at a coffee shop called Angie's Place on 25th & Sheridan (west of Sheridan on 25th). Get there by 8:30am, we'll plan on leaving at 9am. While you are there, you can grab a free coffee on us, just talk to Stacey, and mention CSC, she'll get you a cup!

Also to help balance the ride between all riders, please state your comfort level as follows:

GENERAL CANYON RIDING
Beginner Advanced
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

WHEELIE SESSION
Beginner Advanced
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

See you there!!!!

Pixel 6 & Miss MotoGP

Canuck
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Are you bloody kiddding me? This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Bueller
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Who bloody well says bloody? :lol:

I might show, but that's early for my sleepin' day.

8 and 5

pixel 6
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Well, I for one get kind of bored with "Meet up at Morrison Conoco, ride for 10 minutes... Stop. Wait for something to happen. Ride for another 10 minutes... Stop. Hang out for an hour while people eat their lunch. Ride for 10 minutes... Stop." etc.

Obviously by the title of the thread, I'm not looking for those who wish to take their Sunday and doddle about. I'm looking for a group who's interested in having a smooth paced ride out in the sticks... and finishing off the day learning something about their bike and control.

The Wheelies part is clearly the part that you feel is "bad idea". Maybe so. But I find that if you're in a "controlled environment", you can learn a lot in a 1 hour session. I'm not asking for people to come out and loop their bikes. I'm suggesting that for those who are already interested in doing wheelies practice in a spot where they can get advice, develop good habits, and learn something. Rather than go downtown, try to power one up with no knowledge, and end up smacking their bike into a car in cross traffic.

But alas, the post has been posted, and I'm willing to stick it thru. I've seen people nearly wreck because they inadvertently grabbed a fist full of throttle in regular riding, and didn't know what to do. (Rear brake).

Anyways, I babble.

Pixel

KennyFish
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Id be interested in coming up from the springs, but this weekend is a no go bike is in the shop getting ready for some riding, how bout joining us on the bishops castle ride next weekend.

pixel 6
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Sorry you can't make it Kenny. What are ya getting done the the Gixxer?

I'm not familiar with the route you suggested for next weekend... But I'm always game. Give me the generals of the route?

Thanks!

- Pixel -

BlueDog
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Possibly be able to make it, when do you invision getting back into town?

And 5-6 and 2 perspectively, but I have no idea how to rate myself so those are meaningless :)

pixel 6
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Would be great to see ya =)

As near as we can guess, we'd leave the coffee shop at 9am or so. So figure if we go thru the Evergreen route to Squaw, that is about half an hour there. It should take about 1 hour to do the Squaw pass with any size group. Puts at ooh say 10:30 - 11:00am. Head back down I-70 and into Central City... 11:30. Up to Golden Gate Canyon on 119, and down into Golden say another hour... 12:30.

Hit up some fuel for the bike and rider... and decide on a practice location. Get to that spot at about 1:30. (I have a very good, and seldomly used spot in mind that takes about 45 minutes to get to from the foothills.) The place is a private road, with no intersections on it, and I always get permission to practice there before I begin. The only rules I've ever been given there is no burnouts. (They don't want a nice road to get all marked up.)

So, lol, to answer your question... about 1:30pm. Bring pleanty of water!

- Pixel -

pixel 6
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Ooh, and for you level, 5-6 is perfect. We'll determine the ability levels of the riders, and all take the slowest pace, so that no one is forced to ride beyond their ability to enjoy the ride.

I'd personally put myself at 7-8 on the canyon bit. I took some time last year to learn to get my knee down, and spent some time on the baby track learning rev matching and trail braking. Blipping the throttle under braking and whatnot. I'll be doing GP shifting in the next month or so. Having learned to lean my bike over beyond what normal riders feel is comfortable has kept me out of on coming traffic numerous times. It's good to have reserve.

On the wheelie part, i'd put myself at a 5. I can consistently clutch up standing or sit down ones, and am comfortable grabbing my brake. I am at the edge of the balance point now, where i still need to keep my revs climbing to keep the wheelie up, but the revs are climbing slowly. Till then, I keep putting in the sessions, and practice with the brake. The day when I couldn't see over my headlight when in a sitdown was great. Peeking out from the side of my bike underneath my left hand grip to see the road. =)

- Pixel -

krod
Fri Apr 27th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Looks like there is a kart race on sunday so as long as I am not the only "tard" I will show. I am around a 20 on the crashin scale.:lol:

Bueller
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Looks like there is a kart race on sunday so as long as I am not the only "tard" I will show. I am around a 20 on the crashin scale.:lol:
How will ya know if your the only tard unless you show? Which one you gonna bring?

krod
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Since you have the KTM I guess I will be riding the DRZ:turtle:

Bueller
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I'm home, come 'n get 'er

Joe
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 04:53 PM
KRod... If it helps, I'll be there with my NO-Tard.

I just finished cleaning my license plate and armorall-ing my tires.
Just kidding, I would never clean my license plate.

See you at 8:30ish.

Oh yeah...
Canyon skills = 3
Wheelie-ing = -2 (but if Sallina will come and watch, I will DEFINITELY practice)

Theory123
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I may try and make it. Sounds like fun. I moved here recently and need to meet more people to ride with. 5 canyon carving, 1 wheelie.

JustSomeDude
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I'll be there! However, I have to split off at Idaho Springs... going to the Rockies game.

Canyons: 5-6
Wheelis: 0

I'd like to attend the wheelies-intro session, but sippin' beers at Coors Field is callin'.

JustSomeDude
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 05:57 PM
BTW... I just found out what Squaw Pass road is, I just call it "the Echo Lake run" with my riding buddies. Heads up - that road is not in the best condition. It's probably best to keep a moderate pace to ensure everyone comes out clean. I went up 2 weeks ago, and the sand was terrible, not to mention mini-rock slides, frozen/slushie water run-off streams, potholes, etc. And with the storm this past week, I'm sure it's not much better off.

A BMW took a digger on it last weekend - http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/847517
/an/0/page/0#Post847517 (http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/847517/an/0/page/0#Post847517)

And with how early we're heading out, I imagine it's not going to be in the stickiest of conditions. I'm not trying to sound preachy, it's just I've been up there a few times this season already, and it's NOT in prime shape!

suave16
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Isn't Sundays more of a relax and shut up ride lets do it and luch sounds good as well...

Bueller
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Isn't Sundays more of a relax and shut up ride lets do it and luch sounds good as well...
Depends on who you ride with.
Probably not going to make the morning meeting, too early and wrong side of town for being early. Don't know were you guys were going to enter the canyons, might be able to meet up along the route.

krod
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Yep a little to early for me also. Looks like I will be at the morrision conoco around 9:30 or so. Look out cuz I got the fast bike all cleaned up and the battery charged.:squid:

pixel 6
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 12:35 AM
8 Hours to go.

About to get some zzz's.

FYI my fiance will be breaking in her new MotoGP suit tomorrow, so the pace will reflect things like that. It takes a while for a new suit to feel comfortable, rather than restricting. (Like riding with a new pair of boots or shoes.) I for one will be in the full garb, but not going at any sort of pace where one would expect to get a knee down. Expect the pace to be nice and easy, rather than "spirited". But don't expect too much sight seeing lol.

We'll be at the coffee shop at about 8am, and for those who want to get there earlier, it opens at 7am. We will leave at 9am.

Last but not least, I'll check my phone before we head to the start of Squaw, so if anyone wants to head to the starting bit direct, we can do that as well.

See you soon!

- Pixel -

Chris
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Well, I for one get kind of bored with "Meet up at Morrison Conoco, ride for 10 minutes... Stop. Wait for something to happen. Ride for another 10 minutes... Stop. Hang out for an hour while people eat their lunch. Ride for 10 minutes... Stop." etc.

I hear ya, alot of time bullshiting when it is time to ride.

When I get all ready to ride I go all day long.

GixerSix
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 06:03 AM
What if you just want to do the wheelie part? Can you post up which gas station you plan on hitting before going to the super-secret wheelie road? I know the timing might be impossible, but I can try to join up!

*KEN*
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I might have to check this out next time

pixel 6
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 07:58 AM
For the people that want to hit the wheelie spot... meet back up with the group at the coffee shop at 1pm. We'll head out from there at say 1:30. This will give the rest of the group a chance to grab some water and what not before we practice.

Heading to the coffee shop now.

See you guys soon!

- Pixel -

suave16
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Hey does anyone have any extra CSC stickers and if so can you bring them to the connoco sometime

JustSomeDude
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Looks like I missed this one. I overslept.

:crazy:

Ghost
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I might have to check this out next time

Yeah, I worked 9a-9p Friday and 9a-9 (or later) Saturday, so I tend to sleep in on Sundays and miss every good chance to ride.

The bike is 99% ready to go, I'd like to do a longish check-ride to see if I've fixed my linkage problem, but otherwise I'd love to go next time.

jollyman78
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM
You guys took off pretty quick on 70... me and 3 others got stuck behind traffic and missed the turn off the Central City.

About 5 miles up the road, there was finally a place to turn around... but I figured you guys were gone.

Wheelies next time?

CanyonCarver
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Yeah ya left us behind! We missed the turn. Oh well was a lot of fun! Nice meeting you guys finally!

N1KSS1KS1x
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 04:47 PM
^ Great group leader you had then huh??
When are you guys doing another one of these wheelie sessions?

pixel 6
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks for coming out guys... Sorry for those who missed the turn off. I grabbed the front group, and thought that my girl was going to lead the back half... come to find out she was heading to the coffee shop strait down I-70, and not the central city route.

The group for Squaw was great tho. Our smaller / faster group had no problems heading up 119, and down golden gate. The pace was up there, but all of the people in our group had track experience, so was still a very nice ride.

We left the coffee shop again at 2pm after a quick lunch and hit up the stunting spot. We even managed to get a gixxer off the ground for a bit =)

I'm loving the rear brake stand-ups, and managed to hold one for a third of a mile. Getting closer.

Ok, so again, sorry for those who missed the turn off. We did wait at the beginning of the central city parkway for about 10 minutes, but only Jim managed to show, and said he was the tail of the other group.

We'll put another one together for next week, and in the mean time, we'll get some pictures posted up for ya.

- Pixel -

GixerSix
Mon Apr 30th, 2007, 11:50 AM
The wheelie session was totally awesome, Pixel is a really good teacher he has a keen eye and can quickly identify and tell you where you're wheelies are lacking. In my case Pixel quickly identified that my front tire doesn't lift the ground. But seriously there are plenty of methodical steps you can take to get better while being perfectly SAFE.

3rd of a mile? the entire strip from yellow sign to stop sign was a 1/3 of a mile so you're slightly exaggerating. I'll give you a quarter.:)

Here's some wheelie knowledge the quarter-mile master taught me:
1. Feather the clutch in a quick semi-disengaged motion
a. Do it with two fingers or less, you want to keep a firm grip on the hand grip.
2. Be Accelerating! (probably the most important step)
*When I started I would be going a constant pace and then feather the clutch. Pixel told me to slow it down and proved speed doesn't matter as much as ACCELERATION and he proved this with an 8mph wheelie! Pixel refers to this as "being under Power"; which means you are stable and aren't sputtering and more twist will launch you.
3. As you are disengaging the clutch quickly Twist the throttle.
*Every bike will sound like it's 'under power' if you pull in the clutch, but unless you give it gas at that point once re-engaged it's back to where you started.
4. And HOLD that throttle until you are completely done, else you won't lift off. (This doesn't really need to be a step but I need it to be to remember.)
5. Throttle++ (master 1-4 first, in that order).

pixel 6
Mon Apr 30th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Lol.

Ok, Ok... I'll take the 1/4 mile bit. I never checked the distance, but was going by what DarkAngel said. Either way, I think yesterday contained some of the longest wheelies I've held. Using the rear brake gives me a lot more confidence to hold em.

But you my man... were doing great!

The steps that you went through to learn them safely will be very beneficial to your practice sessions in the future. Hopefully getting a chance to see the DSF guys put them up proper was inspirational. I have in mind to do the same sort of session later in the day again on next Saturday as well as Sunday.

Remember at this stage in the learning curve to keep them to sessions, and not public streets. =)

- Pixel -

DARK ANGEL
Mon Apr 30th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I just enjoy carving the corners up like turkey on thanksgiving with my GINSU 1000. Need leathers and pucks, my kneecaps cant hold up.

DARK ANGEL
Mon Apr 30th, 2007, 06:19 PM
sorry for leaving everyone, i have a twitch in my right wrist that doesnt let up....

Badhabit
Mon Apr 30th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Well I was the last bike cuz I stopped for fuel in Idaho Springs (2 gallon tank) and everybody else got on 70. I had no idea that the group split after then. I just figured the couple minutes I spent gassing up would be easily made up considering the pace everyone was riding at. I guess some people were glad to see clean highway!

Anyway, I had fun with the small group heading up to Central City. Nice coffee shop too!