PDA

View Full Version : gas tank leak

scottiegwood
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 04:40 PM
i'm having a lot of trouble getting my gas tank to stop leaking.

the leak is coming from where the gas gauge mounts to the tank. i replaced the bolts and the gasket.... any more suggestions:banghead:

scottiegwood
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 10:03 PM
no suggestions...

Knuckle Dragger
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Did you tourque the bolts are just bear down and hope that would work? If you replaced your gasket really the only thing it could be is bolts to lose or too tight. You might also check to see if the lip or metal is bent or something that prevents a good seal.

scottiegwood
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 10:53 PM
thanks i'll give it a try

wulf
Sat Apr 28th, 2007, 10:58 PM
there is a type of RTV that is gasoline rated, gold labeled i think. a thin coat on both sides of the gasket should help seal it.

Any parts store should have it.

scottiegwood
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 06:28 AM
i tried one that was brown in color (don't remember the name) but it said it was gas resistant didn't work to well but i'll give that stuff a try

Knuckle Dragger
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Just thought of this as well did you check where the hose connect into the tank maybe you have a bad clamp an the gas is coming up the hose, leaking out of it at the base of the tank, and giving the impression that it is the seal that is leaking. These are just thoughts without being there it is kind of hard to really know and I do not want to insult your mechanical experience; I know I have made my mistakes (just ask Mtnairlover). Which also reminds me was there a large rubber "O" ring gasket at the base of the gas tank when you took off the fuel pump? I made the mistake and did not replace Mtnairlover's and boy it told it us right away something was not right as it leaked gas all over the drive where I live (the stain is still there, did not know gas stained asphalt). Any ? just PM or add to this I am not a pro but have messed up plaenty and I do lean from my mistakes.

MattTLS
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Like Knuckle Dragger said, make sure the bolts are properly torqued. Too tight and you can deform the mounting surface/sealing area.

Actually, from what I could find, is this on an older Katana? And are you sure it's leaking from between the petcock and the tank, or could it be directly from the petcock? Might be rebuildable ...

Matthew

scottiegwood
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 04:20 PM
its leaking from where the gas gauge mounts to the tank.... and yes its an older katana. and i'm positive thats where its from.

the bolts that i have to bolt it on are a bit stripped so i am getting new ones ASAP. hopefully that will fix the problem. i'm also going to try gold rated RTV like suggested above.

scottiegwood
Sun Apr 29th, 2007, 06:45 PM
watch by the time i get it fixed it will be rainy the entire week