PDA

View Full Version : how to remove a broken bolt?

rocktboy
Mon Feb 3rd, 2003, 11:21 AM
hi guys,
I have a fairing bolt that has the top part (part that contains the allen socket) broken off from a crash. Now I don't know how to remove it and :guns: Colorado powersports wants to charge $75 to remove it. :x :321:
any tips, help? :idea:

towneh
Mon Feb 3rd, 2003, 11:53 AM
greetings rocketb,

there are devices known as 'easy-outs'. somebody's probably got a whole set of them. i used to when i worked on old volkswagens...

here's how they work... you drill a shallow hole about a third the diameter of the bolt/screw shaft that you want to remove. then from your set of easy-outs which are hardened steel with a ccw twisted taper on one end and a shallow square shank at the other, you select the one that is ever so slightly smaller diameter that the item to be removed. insert the taper into the shallow hole frimly and with the hand-chuck, slowly turn the easy-out ccw to back out the culprit. small screws often require fine work with a Dremel tool. $75 is an hour of labor. you may spend more

mileage may vary...
:D :D henry

Anonymous
Mon Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:00 PM
From what I remember from shop class (and what a shop would probably do) is you have to drill into the bolt, tap it in the opposite direction of the outer threads, insert the correct screw into the new hole, tighten it, and keep tightening until the bolt comes out.

I'm assuming this bolt mounts the fairing into the frame, otherwise you should be able to use a pair of vice-grips to grab whatever's stcking out the other side and rotate it all the way through. Is there any portion of the bolt sticking out of the frame (where the hex socket was) that you can grab & remove, or was it sheared off right at the frame?

You could try drilling it out yourself, but you run the risk of messing up the threads in the frame. Depending on what you've got to work with (on the bolt), you could also try cutting in a straight groove so you can use a regular screwdriver to remove the bolt. It's hard to say without seeing it. Got a picture of it?

Good luck & keep us posted.

Anonymous
Mon Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:01 PM
there are devices known as 'easy-outs'. somebody's probably got a whole set of them. i used to when i worked on old volkswagens...
Well, at least I had the right concept :lol:

Dysco
Mon Feb 3rd, 2003, 11:20 PM
Using an easy-out is an absolute nightmare sometimes and requres serious mental fortitude and a BFH. I broke off a bolt in the clutch basket of my 919... twice. Depending on where the bolt is, you might have other options. If you can remove the piece with bolt in it you can take it to a machine shop for $20. If the screw goes through a ring instead of into a solid piece of metal you can use the easy-out to screw it all the way through, etc...

Might be able to help you with this one...

Mike

rocktboy
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 09:32 AM
thanks for all the advice guys. my bike is still in the shop but when i get it back i'll give it a try :up:

FnFast
Fri Feb 7th, 2003, 09:18 AM
rocktboy-let me know how you make out. I am working on one of ZRXChris' bikes, and I'm in the process of removing a front fender attachment bolt that snapped of in the lower leg, so if you need an easy-out, I can probably hook you up.