PDA

View Full Version : D208's OK for the track?

CAMit...
Mon May 10th, 2004, 09:30 AM
The F4i that I just got has Dunlop D208's mounted on it. Will they do OK on the track for a beginner?

mra828
Mon May 10th, 2004, 10:06 AM
If they're in good shape they'll be fine for some track days.

geoff

Rick T.
Mon May 10th, 2004, 10:26 AM
The F4i that I just got has Dunlop D208's mounted on it. Will they do OK on the track for a beginner?

SCR this Thursday?? :D MRA School on Friday?? :D:D

CAMit...
Mon May 10th, 2004, 10:55 AM

SCR this Thursday?? :D MRA School on Friday?? :D:D

If I can get just a few more things ready (and purchased) on her, we'll be there with bells on....

If not, I'll have to bring my street bike and not be able to take part in the moch race on friday... :cry:

Are you taking the class? Or teaching?

CAMit...
Mon May 10th, 2004, 10:59 AM
If they're in good shape they'll be fine for some track days.

geoff

Cool - Thanks!

They have about 1000 miles on them, so I should be good to go for a little while.

Rick T.
Mon May 10th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Are you taking the class? Or teaching?

Teaching?? Ummm, maybe what NOT to do... :lol:

Taking the class like you. Actually, I took the class with Spiderman and RSV4aCowboy but crashed out and the bike could not continue... :x

BUT... I guess this way I get to ride PPIR again!!! :D:D (Actually, my current avatar is Turn 4 @ PPIR)

See you there!

Anonymous
Mon May 10th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Make sure you lower the air pressure!!!

My R1 suggested 36/36 cold for the D208 ZR's - that's too high for the track (they get really hot on a track compared to street riding). I ran 30 front/28 rear and they worked beautifully!

Not sure what the recommended psi is for your F4i, but adjust accordingly and you should be fine.

BTW, I crashed at PPIR last year on my R1 with D208's - it was a very cold day, and they were inflated to 34/33 - I lowsided coming out of turn 3. I'm sure if I was running 30/28, I would have been just fine.

CAMit...
Mon May 10th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Dam good point -

As soon as I started to read your post I remembered reading about Hoopty and his tire fiasco....

Thanks for the advice.

Question tho - when you say adjust accordingly, you came down 6psi in front and 8psi in the back, I should do the same?

Thanks again.

Anonymous
Mon May 10th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Hmm, not sure & not necessarily. You've got a 180 on the rear, mine was a 190. I now have a 180 on the rear and I find that for normal street riding, I prefer the rear at about 33 psi. I would probably still run 30/28, regardless of tire size. What psi does Honda recommend?

Anonymous
Mon May 10th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Screw what Honda recommends. Call Mark Newby, he's the local Dunlop rep. Ask him what to run for those tires, on your bike, with your skill level, on that track, for those weather conditions. He's at Rocky Mountain Race Tire.

Rick T.
Mon May 10th, 2004, 02:16 PM
When do I "check" for tire pressure - in the A.M. (cooler) before heading to the track... or AT the track before a session?

yakuza
Mon May 10th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Tire pressure will vary throughout the day as temperature varies. You want to check it before you go out for a session, but make sure you check it at ambient temperature, ie tires not in the sun, tires not on warmers, not right after you come in from practice.

Anonymous
Mon May 10th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Check at the track before your session, but BEFORE you put the tire warmers on.

Rick T.
Mon May 10th, 2004, 02:32 PM
I guess I'll have to find shade in order to do this... since the tires will be in the sun on the way to the track. Boy I'm glad I bought that EZ Up... :)

CAMit...
Mon May 10th, 2004, 02:36 PM
I read someone here got a nice gauge from one of the shops that takes into account the ambient temp -

Does anyone know what gauge that is and where to pick one up?

Anonymous
Mon May 10th, 2004, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure what ambient temp has to do with taking tire pressure. There isn't a correction factor for temperature, you couldn't account for that anyway without knowing the temps of the tirewall and inner temp (and I would never trust that correction even if it did). Air expands with heat, hence why you start with low pressure (it'll increase as you heat up the tire), and why you never check it when the tire's hot.

A "self correcting" gauge is either bogus, or bad news. "Just the facts, m'am!" ;)

Anonymous
Mon May 10th, 2004, 02:47 PM
On another note - Mark Newby (the Dunlop guy) has a master guage that you can calibrate your gauge off of (at the races anyway) for free. I found out my guage was reading 1 lb low.

I agree with Ralph - check with Newby on what tire pressure to run the D208's. Mmake sure he knows you're talking about ZR's (street tires) and not race tires.

Rick T.
Mon May 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Will the MIchelin Rep be out there? Or is that Mark S.? I have Pilot H2 Race on the RS...

CAMit...
Mon May 10th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Cool - can't remember what post I saw that on....

I'll just bring my guerilla gauge that I use in my jeep and should be fine -

Thanks!

Anonymous
Mon May 10th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Will the MIchelin Rep be out there? Or is that Mark S.? I have Pilot H2 Race on the RS...

Mark S. is the Michelin Man.
:idea: :lol:

Rick T.
Mon May 10th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Mark S. is the Michelin Man.
:idea: :lol:

I knew THAT!! :D:D

irdave
Tue May 18th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Or you could take the pressures the instant you pull back into the pits- giving you the hot pressure, which is actually what you're looking for. Example; Pirelli DOT's are supposed to be 35 psi hot. So how fast you ride would dictate where you set your pressures... The faster you go, the hotter the tire gets, the higher the pressure.