PDA

View Full Version : Diablos or sport/touring something?

NorCALSpeed
Mon May 10th, 2004, 05:57 PM
So when people say you need new tires, you should listen. Cuz felt a little slippage on some turns in Lefthand today. Ty Twist of the Wrist since I didn't panic and bike fixed itself.

I'm looking at the Pirelli Diablos, cheap enough online and hear great things about them. My concern is longevity. I can't be buying new tires too often at 200 bucks a set. What kind of mileage can I expect from Diablos with commuting and weekend carving? Another tire that would be better? I want to be grippy and ability to lean, but I can't buy new tires every 2 months. Thanks

Mista Black
Mon May 10th, 2004, 07:50 PM
I can take the sweepers on Horsepower Hill (in theory, of course; speeding is wrong) at 135 with MEZ4's. I'm getting about 8000 from a rear MEZ4. The hairpins on the way to Deckers (again, in theory) are about 55-65mph. That's plenty sticky for me and they seem to do good on milage. The front tire has about 7K on it now and will probably last just fine until I need to replace the rear again (2 rears for each front is how it's looking). I've heard the MEZ6 is supposed to be at least as good miles-wise and better handling (FWIW). I'll try them out before settling on the tire I'll probably use forever.

I plan on running Michelin Pilot Roads next to see what kind of milage they give. In the BMW community they are regarded as about the best milage tire (except for the Metzler 880 which doesn't have nearly the grip).

I also want to try the Dunlop 220's out. This is mainly because I've got close to 100k on Dunlops (sport and touring miles) and have always found them to be extremely predictable and that's the main thing I want after miles (miles and more miles). They are supposed to be along the lines of the 205 milage wise (maybe a bit better).

For me, and the way I ride, stickier is only better if what I'm running isn't sticky enough.

Disclaimer: Your milage may vary.

(Worf voice) Today is a good day to ride!! (/Worf voice)

Dysco
Mon May 10th, 2004, 08:35 PM
So when people say you need new tires, you should listen. Cuz felt a little slippage on some turns in Lefthand today. Ty Twist of the Wrist since I didn't panic and bike fixed itself.

I'm looking at the Pirelli Diablos, cheap enough online and hear great things about them. My concern is longevity. I can't be buying new tires too often at 200 bucks a set. What kind of mileage can I expect from Diablos with commuting and weekend carving? Another tire that would be better? I want to be grippy and ability to lean, but I can't buy new tires every 2 months. Thanks

Sounds like you need race take-offs. You can usually get a good set for $50-100 and they last a few thousand miles of normal street riding. I think Henry actually got ~8K miles out of one set doing a lot of touring. They still corner well but won't last long on a track... You should also learn how to change your own tires. saves LOTS of money and leaves you with a wholesome grilled-cheese-and-tomato-soup feeling.

Mista Black
Mon May 10th, 2004, 08:40 PM
saves LOTS of money and leaves you with a wholesome grilled-cheese-and-tomato-soup feeling.

Mmmmmm, love that feelin!! :D :bananna: :up:

adjunkie
Wed May 12th, 2004, 08:01 PM
I have a set of diablos. they stick to the road like bubblegum. i have only 500 miles on them, so im not sure how fast they wear. Nothing i can see yet.

Nick_Ninja
Thu May 13th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Diablos = good in rain + ~3,500 front and 3,000 rear on 600+ lb. sled with lots-o-gear in HOT summer conditions. Good tire. Pilot Sports are better IMO