PDA

View Full Version : The things that go on in my garage...

Dysco
Mon May 10th, 2004, 11:23 PM
I figured I'd share the events of this morning with everyone who needed a good laugh. The last time I rode my BMW, the front tire chunked on me. When I got home, I noticed that a knob had torn off and a good portion of the casing was exposed. I figured it would be a good time for the GS to change out of the snow shoes and into its summer running shoes.

Since I've taken my front wheel off a million times, you'd think it'd go easier than it did. First, I made the mistake of confusing the BMW with my dirt bike and threw a tiedown over the rafter and hooked it to the cross-brace of the handlebars. I removed the wheel and rolled it across the garage before I heard the center stand collapse and turned to see the GS crash to the garage floor sideways, the front end suspended three inches above the ground. Again I made the mistake of confusing the GS with the YZ and grabbed a crate to prop the forks on. I leaned over, grabbed a fork leg, and succeeded in swinging my bike four inches to the right before back pain set in.

So I'm back to staring at the bike hanging just above the floor. The smart thing to do would have been to put the wheel back on and start over after picking it up. I wasn't being smart today. I got serious about getting it up and heaved it up from the left side. Then I put the center stand up and forced the rear wheel down. With my left toe I guided a crate under the forks. Then I walked back to the front wheel that was leaning against the wall... WHAM. The crate slid out and the forks hit the concrete hard enough to leave dents. Then the bike went back to resting on its side.

I finally wrestle the 430lb onto a sturdier portion of the crate, but not before I cursed myself for topping of the tank before parking it for the weekend in addition to nearly losing a toe because I was doing this in flip-flops. I attached another set of tiedowns to the bars to stabilize it and went out to change the tire. Strangely enough, given my recent tire-changing history at the races in Pueblo, it went very smoothly. I filled the tire up to 60 PSI and let it sit while I went to address my brake problem.

My brake pads had fallen out of the caliper sometime during the wrestling match and they were nearly worn through. I'd been putting off changing them for months so I went into the kitchen and grabbed the new pads, brake fluid, and pump. It was about this time I noticed I had an hour until I had to be on the road for work so I stepped it up a notch. The pads went in pretty easily, too, and I should have been worried. Knowing that I had pushed back a ton of fluid getting a big enough gap between the pads to slide the wheel in, I prepared for a quick bleeding session once I put the wheel on and the tools were standing by.

I cleaned and greased the axle, bearings and spacers and snuck the disc between the pads. Now for the easy part: I slid the axle in. It stopped when the "shoulder" of the axle wouldn't slide into its home in the fork leg. I hit it with the mallet. I hit it again. I beat the mallet into submission with the axle. It didn't budge. Upon closer inspection, the gap that gets closed around the axle with the pinch bolt was pretty tight since the recent meeting between the garage floor and the cast aluminum fork lowers. I tried to pry it open. The tools only marked the aluminum and did nothing to make the hole any larger. I took the wheel off.

I put the axle through the forks with no wheel to get in the way. The legs were slightly out of line but nothing too evil. Again the axle stopped before hitting the threads on the other side. I tried moving the forks a little and twisting the lowers around to get it to go in straight. Then I brought the mallet out again. This time it was successful after only twenty or so whacks. Now for the hard part: taking it out. I switched the mallet around. The axle didn't pop out like it normally would but it did come out.

I cleaned and greased the axle, bearings and spacers and snuck the disc between the pads. Now for the hard part: I slid the axle in. Then I wiggled the tire around, propping the bike up with my knee stuck under the steering head, between the forks and the engine, whacking the axle for all I was worth.... Nothing. I went inside. I checked the internet. I drank a bottle of water to replace the sweat that had been dripping into my eyes during my mechano-ballet with the mallet, tire, bike, and that stubborn axle. I noticed that I had 15 minutes before I had to leave. After a brief pep talk with myself, I headed back into the garage.

The break did me good. After 5 more minutes of balancing, wiggling and pounding, the axle gave in. I tightened everything up and went to work on the brakes. I unscrewed the first of two brake fluid reservoir screws with ease. The next did not go as easily. In fact, it didn't go at all. Now looking at a stripped screw and significant pressure in my brakes, I started to worry. I spun the wheel. It made it 1/4 turn. At this point I was prepared to cut my losses. I have three street-legal bikes in my garage. One won't make it past 55 MPH and has no front brake, one runs a little rich which stalls it occasionally in addition to the fuel leak, and the BMW. I decide to go for it.

I grabbed a quick shower and threw on some work clothes and geared up. Starting the bike up I remember to air down the tire a bit from 60- I think it's close to 30 now but couldn't locate my tire gauge. I went through my usual routine and headed down the front lawn onto the street. I tap the front brake. It works... but not well. I'm ok with that. Just as I'm about to come up to the stop sign at the busy intersection out of my neighborhood I give it another grab for kicks... nothing. The ABS has decided to prevent me from using it which, in hindsight, was probably a good thing.

I cruised back to my garage and set my mind in motion. I decided that to relieve the pressure I'd just open up the bleed valve and let some go. I didn't do it originally because I was worried about the fluid level overall and didn't want to completely drain the system. Now reason set in and I grabbed a tube. Cracking the valve unleashed a pretty good squirt of fluid. I spun the wheel and it went around almost a half-turn. I let out some more fluid and it wasn't perfect but it definitely wasn't going to lock up. After a quick test ride I decided it was ok. Pulling up into my yard on the way to the driveway, my ABS kicked in again.

I decided to show this German computer who's boss. The switch to disable the ABS had long ago gone the way of the buffalo so I got out my 10mm wrench and got busy. At 4pm, 1 hour after I usually leave for work, I rolled out: fresh new street tire in front, half used, blocked up studded knobby on the rear, and 1 ABS sensor zip-tied to the brake line. I have again been taught the lesson that repairs should never be done before work, no matter how simple. I also remembered that the reason I got my second (street legal) bike was for situations like this. I also rethought my policy about storing bikes for friends that don't run so well.

Ultimately, I'm again motivated to do all the necessary repairs to each bike in my garage, not just the bikes that I'm racing. I'm breaking free of the winter wrenching funk that had me worrying about frostbite when changing oil. So... that's 5 bikes with 2 sets of forks to rebuild, 3 carb-jobs, 1 valve adjustment, one total top-end, a clutch, a taillight, and one more tire to go... hopefully with sturdier shoes and a whole lot more time.

If you’ve actually read this whole thing, I probably owe you a beer. If you read it and understood how crummy my morning was, and how bleak my motorcycle future looks, you probably want to buy me a beer. Let’s call it even. :D

Brizz
Mon May 10th, 2004, 11:28 PM
WOW :shock:

Thats a lot of reading.

CAMit...
Mon May 10th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Well...OK, I agree we're even.... :lol:

DANG - what a way to start not only the day but the week...

Kitty Kat
Tue May 11th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Wow - Interesting read for 3:22 in the a.m. - thanks.! :)

I hope the rest of your week gets better.

friscokidd
Tue May 11th, 2004, 08:18 AM
couldnt get past the first 2 paragraphs.....Para-phrase next time mikey :lol: :lol:

yakuza
Tue May 11th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Sorry Mike, but I think I'll never let you mechanic on my bike. :lol:

Sorry to hear you had such a hard time, but I have to admit I was laughing out loud picturing you wrestling a toppled BMW in your flip-flops. :D

Nick_Ninja
Tue May 11th, 2004, 12:20 PM
:lol: 8)

CBRChick
Tue May 11th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Sorry to hear you had such a hard time, but I have to admit I was laughing out loud picturing you wrestling a toppled BMW in your flip-flops. :D

:imwithstupid:

Sorry Mike to hear about the rotten beginning to the week! That does really suck ... and I don't think I'm going to let you near either of my bikes :lol: But, I'll cornerwork with you anyday! :up:

Anonymous
Tue May 11th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Mike,

I'll buy you a beer. :cheers:

Then you can buy me a beer... :cheers:

Then I'll buy you another beer... :cheers:

Then you can buy me another beer... :cheers:

We'll call it even when we can't remember who's turn it is to buy the next round, okay? :silly:

:lol:

Dysco
Tue May 11th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks for sharing my pain. The funny thing is that normally I'm a pretty good wrench. On any other day this would have taken me an hour and a half if I was feeling lazy. Oh well, a few more bikes I'll never have to work on :D

surfinspacegirl
Tue May 11th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Mike, this was akin to reading one of my own mechanical misadventures :lol: You have a beer on me next time I see you :)

Akira's Project
Tue May 11th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Mike,

We'll call it even when we can't remember who's turn it is to buy the next round, okay? :silly:

:imwithstupid: :lol: :lol:

Dysco
Tue May 11th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Mike,

Deal!

Anonymous
Tue May 11th, 2004, 01:36 PM
:spit: :lol: *mental picture of Dysco in flip flops, dancing around with a wounded BMW intent on being sideways*

I feel your pain Dysco, your garage sounds like mine... Let's see, time to take stock:

1 - GSXR600 racebike. clutch ok now, has bad icky sort of noise coming from the motor. no front brakes. And let me tell you - When it's 11pm and you're cruising around on your found-to-be-ok clutch, and decide to stop as you pull into the garage, and forget that the front brake doesn't exist while you hopelessly grab it about 5 times, it makes for some "clenched" moments as you head towards the rapidly approaching garage wall. After bracing for impact, a light clicked on and I remembered the REAR brake, and managed to avoid driving my gixxer into the kitchen sans-door.

2 - Honda Superhawk. Well, this thing actually runs. Good. The clutch is still a little finicky (needs new plates) and the brake pads are due for replacement, but it has been one solid machine. I can't complain.

3 - 1997 GSXR600. aka, the fleshmobile. Even when it was together it ran like shit, now it's parts are strewn across the garage as it waits for a new motor. it's plastics are ornamentally displayed, upside down, on my ...

4 - 1978 Yamaha XS750 "Special". Well, it's special alright. Doesn't run, weighs a shitload so getting it moving is a pain. Doesn't have brakes, so getting it stopped is a pain - especially on my annoyingly steep driveway. Want to watch something funny? get a load of my skinny ass trying to overpower the intertia of SEVERAL hundred pounds of Yamaha's finest rolling downhill. THIS bike is destined for greatness however. Mechanically it's in good shape, just needs some things (boy when have I heard that before??), however using some GSXR600 throttle bodies I picked up for $30 and a homebrew FI computer, this triple cylinder god of the 70's will be fuel injected when next it runs...

5 - 1976 XS750 Standard. These came as a package deal, free from Oregon. This one is in better shape than the Special, but isn't quite as "cool" looking, so it'll follow the other one in order of restoration. Might FI this thing too, we'll see. The carbs are ancient and I hate them.

6 - One pocketbike. Recently fixed, then recently looped by Frisco. Has no front brake (ok since the back one, or your feet, will stop you). Exhaust is now "Bent By Frisco" and the tail section, once intact, is split like the Grand Canyon. However I did derestrict it, and it has a little kick to it now!

7 - 1970 Ford F100. Leaks oil like Niagra Falls. I'm not kidding here, I botched up replacing the rear main and when you get on the gas, the contents of the oil pan come spewing out the back in a flood of blackness. I must have lost 3 quarts just going down my block... One day, when I get off my lazy ass, I will redo the rear main. Not terribly hard, but it is tedious and time consuming, messy, and does require that the truck be moved to the garage which is currently occupied by a bunch of other crap that doesn't run quite right.

Nick_Ninja
Tue May 11th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Don't feel bad. Last Friday night; leaving the folks ranch, I was parked facing their garage door. When I fired up the bike I looked at the reflection of the headlights and running lights in the garage door. One looked dimmer than the other. Soooooooooo, I thought to myself, "Self, you'd better check that out. Could be the start of an electrical issue."

Well I got off the bike pretty quick and forgot to put the kickstand down. Ooops :oops: The flame paint job goes into FitzGraphix this afternoon @ 4:30 :D

Dumbazz :bs: :x

FZRguy
Fri May 14th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Well I got off the bike pretty quick and forgot to put the kickstand down. Ooops :oops: The flame paint job goes into FitzGraphix this afternoon @ 4:30 :D Dumbazz :bs: :x

I hate it when that happens...just post pics next time, Mike.

friscokidd
Sat May 15th, 2004, 10:11 AM
6 - One pocketbike. Recently fixed, then recently looped by Frisco. Exhaust is now "Bent By Frisco" and the tail section, once intact, is split like the Grand Canyon.

:spit: :puppy: did i do THAT much damage? Just let me know and i will help fix what i looped :lol: Im about to get one, so we can trade plastics :D

Nick_Ninja
Sat May 15th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Well I got off the bike pretty quick and forgot to put the kickstand down. Ooops :oops: The flame paint job goes into FitzGraphix this afternoon @ 4:30 :D Dumbazz :bs: :x

I hate it when that happens...just post pics next time, Mike.

Pete is gonna do the helmet too :bananna:

thunderseye
Sat May 15th, 2004, 06:27 PM
damn looks like the pocket bike has been through hell since first taken out of the crate and i had it for the whole 2 weeks