PDA

View Full Version : SuperMotard Bike Selection???????

RayCer
Sat May 5th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Just looking for some feedback and get some ideas on bike selection. I am considering geting a KTM690 for supermotard, or maybe the new Ducati Hypermotard? I have been riding street for 14 years and dirt for over 20, but i have never ridden a tard, nor have i ever been on a track, but im think it would be a fricken blast!

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks all!

Bueller
Sat May 5th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Do you want it for street, to replace a rocket or do you want a real tard?
What you get will greatly depend on what you plan on doing with it.

krod
Sat May 5th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Both those bikes are street tards. I am sure they are both great street bikes but you would not want to put them on a sumo track. Do what bueller did buy a KTM 525exc and put Sm wheels and tires on it. Its street legal and you can race it.

Bueller
Sat May 5th, 2007, 03:13 PM
And you can convert it back to dirt in 30min. (like I just did) and take it to Moab :)

BTW krod I have a clutch slave protector that I can't use, if yours is a
Magura it'll fit yours.

krod
Sat May 5th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Yep it will fit. Thanks Next practice I will bring my SX-CDI.

RayCer
Sat May 5th, 2007, 07:07 PM
im thinking about the KTm690 as a second bike and either keeping the gxr or upgrading it with an 07 gxr 1000. I am not sure if i will really hit the track, most likely use the tard as a hooligan bike for fun. I guess i could always get some wheels for my 05 CRF and run that at the track? If i go with the Duc, it would probably end up being my only street bike just based on cost.

Any thoughts on making the CRF into a track tard? Would i just need to do wheels and tires, or is there anything else i need to take into consideration?

Thanks for your guys input!

krod
Sat May 5th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Your crf would be perfect. Look on Supermotojunki.com There are awlays deals on wheels and brake kits. Hope to se ya out there. Its a frickin blast.

BigE
Sat May 5th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I had a CRF converted and besides the wheels/tires definitely budget for a brake kit for the front then you're pretty much good to go. If you want to get the bike a bit more serious swap to stiffer springs (I have some if you're interested).
Oh, and get an extra front fender to chop down :)

RayCer
Sat May 5th, 2007, 08:02 PM
what size on the wheels?

any suggestions on the brake kit?

RayCer
Sat May 5th, 2007, 08:06 PM
BigE,

what do you think about these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/excel-supermoto-wheels-and-braking-brakes-motard-crf450_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35601QQihZ007QQi temZ170107962780QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Bueller
Sat May 5th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Those are 16.5" wheels, so more limited on tire selection (more for racing). They are universal hubs with CRF carriers, so if you want to use them for a different bike you just need to buy different carriers ($300).
An R1 MCyl. is a bit too much brake for a single rotor, you might be happier with a stock pump. Tires are crap.
$1K would be a good deal, might get $1,200.

Bueller
Sun May 6th, 2007, 08:02 AM
http://put.edidomus.it/dueruote/news/foto/ZAMP2647.jpg
Guess someone likes them on the track, dirt section would be hell though :lol:

krod
Sun May 6th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Still not a SM bike. I bet that thing weigh's in well over 350 pounds. Make a good upgrade from the DRZ :turtle:

krod
Sun May 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM
:scramble:

reddeth
Sun May 6th, 2007, 05:05 PM
So, just out of curiosity, it seems that the only difference between a dirt bike and motard is wheels and upgraded brakes...?

I'm giving consideration to turning my YZ125 into a sort of track bike because I can get Yamaha parts cheap and I'd rather not put my street bike out of commission because I wrecked it, or because I chewed through tires and have to save up to get some new ones.

Bueller
Sun May 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
125 2 stroke is not going to make an ideal Sumo. 2 stroke powerbands are not the best for regulating corner speed on asphault since there is greater traction, so predictable wheelspin doesn't exist. And believe me we do go through tires.

reddeth
Sun May 6th, 2007, 06:17 PM
125 2 stroke is not going to make an ideal Sumo. 2 stroke powerbands are not the best for regulating corner speed on asphault since there is greater traction, so predictable wheelspin doesn't exist. And believe me we do go through tires.
First off sorry to hijack the thread a bit heh.

And I'm not much concerned bout going through tires, its just that last time I needed new tires for my Gixxer I had to wait a month (a month I couldn't ride) to get the money for new tires, and after my first day at IMI (a very mellow day for me, being first time out and all) I can tell tires wont last long. If I put a second bike that isn't insured (IE: more money every month) out of business for a few weeks, no biggie, my street bike goes down, I'm out a good fuel efficient mode of transport (and fun to boot).

Anyways, supposing I did get interest in a SM bike, would you recommend a 4 stroke? And since I'm at it would I need to step up to a 250? I never rode the dirt bike anyways, maybe its time to look into something else hehe.

krod
Sun May 6th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Like Dave said you can run a smoker but the power band will tear ya up in the corners. 4 stroke is the way to go. I got into it thinking it would be cheeper than roadracing believe me its not. I think I spent more on my KTM than any of my sportbikes. Tires are around 350.00 a set and ya go through them just as fast if not faster. But its worth every broken rib and penny.:)

bluedogok
Sun May 6th, 2007, 08:22 PM
If I was considering one it would be a Husqvarna (http://www.husqvarnausa.com/), they are sold as street legal bikes. The problem up there is the closest dealer is in Grand Junction.

SMR450: (http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2007/07_SM450.html) Dry Weight - 262.8 lbs.
SMR510: (http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2007/07_SM510.html) Dry Weight - 263.9 lbs.
http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2007/images/sm510_01.jpg

SMR610: (http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2007/07_SM610.html) Dry Weight - 313 lbs.
http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2007/images/sm610_01.jpg

For non-DOT approved models there is also Husaberg (http://www.husaberg.se/Supermoto.38.0.html) with dealers in Steamboat Springs and Gunnison.

Bueller
Sun May 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Problem w/ factory SM bike is they are harder to make dirt ready if you want a dirty too. The Husky TE610 is a street legal dual purpose that runs about $800 cheaper than the KTM 525 EXC, and if you buy wheels you can get away with using the stock front brake unless you want to get it on the track much.

Bergs are just way too expensive.

Now when you need support you are shit out of luck. I had to drive to Loveland for a counter sprocket bolt for my Katoom (Fay's didn't have in stock) but if it was a Husky my trip to Moab probably wouldn't happen next week.

bluedogok
Sun May 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM
The place where I bought my Sprint here in Austin is a Husky dealer and there are a few others here in Texas, I was surprised to see that Grand Junction was the closest to Denver. I test rode a SMR510 the dealer had as a demo, it was a blast but would maybe think twice before moving one up there. If I liked it enough, I would probably keep it but otherwise look at an Aprila SXV (http://www.apriliausa.com/modelli/offroad/modello.asp?id=111).

Bueller
Sun May 6th, 2007, 09:23 PM
There again you are looking at a maintenance nightmare. Dealers are local, parts are not.

bluedogok
Mon May 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I have found that most parts no matter the make are not local. Very few stock much in the way of parts around here except for routine maintenance items and I have known some of the Big 4 riders that have had to order simple things like filters as no one around had them in stock. It is always "we can get it from the warehouse in a few days", so what is the difference? Maybe it is dithe dealers up there, most of our Big 4 dealers have been eaten up by the America's Powersports Group, the Wal-Mart of motorcycle dealers.

I grew up on Japanese bikes, I just prefer something else now. There is at least an Aprilia dealer in the Denver area and I do most of my own maintenance. I wouldn't have one as my only bike, so it would be second bike anyway, if I had to wait a few days for something so be it.

Lurch
Mon May 7th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I have found that most parts no matter the make are not local. Very few stock much in the way of parts around here except for routine maintenance items and I have known some of the Big 4 riders that have had to order simple things like filters as no one around had them in stock. It is always "we can get it from the warehouse in a few days", so what is the difference? Maybe it is dithe dealers up there, most of our Big 4 dealers have been eaten up by the America's Powersports Group, the Wal-Mart of motorcycle dealers.

I grew up on Japanese bikes, I just prefer something else now. There is at least an Aprilia dealer in the Denver area and I do most of my own maintenance. I wouldn't have one as my only bike, so it would be second bike anyway, if I had to wait a few days for something so be it.

I was looking at the SXV's and RXV's and have decided to look at something else. Reasoning being is the supply of parts. I was told by the service parts orderer that Aprilia parts can take up to 6 months with 3 being the norm. There goes the riding season if you have to wait that long. I was cruising the Aprilia boards and SXV/RXV owners have been waiting for over a year for a bigger gas tank. Which these bikes really need because they only get about 50 miles per tank.

Lurch

Dysco
Mon May 7th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Like Dave said you can run a smoker but the power band will tear ya up in the corners. 4 stroke is the way to go. I got into it thinking it would be cheeper than roadracing believe me its not. I think I spent more on my KTM than any of my sportbikes. Tires are around 350.00 a set and ya go through them just as fast if not faster. But its worth every broken rib and penny.:)

You can always get a KX100 for next to nothing and ride it stock... At IMI you could keep up with the 450s for the most part if you can figure out how to ride it. They corner faster and cost $1200.

Bueller
Mon May 7th, 2007, 04:22 PM
You can always get a KX100 for next to nothing and ride it stock... At IMI you could keep up with the 450s for the most part
Dude what pain killers are you on now? :lol:

RayCer
Tue May 8th, 2007, 04:25 PM
It's funny you mention pain killers. I just got the results back from my MRI, ACL torn all the way through, maniscus torn, and a broken piece of bone that is hanging from a piece of cartlidge in my left knee.

I knew something was wrong when my foot was pointed in the wrong direction after cornering my crf450 on the back track at IMI. But once i kinda popped my knee back in place i figured it was all good..... apparently i was wrong! lol!

So it looks like complete reconstructive surgery and i may be putting off the supermoto quest till the end of the summer. What a bummer, oh well, shit happens!