PDA

View Full Version : Arai tearoffs ?

BlueDevil
Tue May 11th, 2004, 03:15 PM
So I have an Arai Edwards and I ordered some Arai clear tearoffs. When they arrived I was interested to see they have a slight blue/greenish tint....... Didnt care to much until I attached it to the tear off posts and it blurs the screen so bad I can hardly tell what things are......... wtf? they are Arai brand and are labled clear on the package..... this cant be right...... How can you race if U cant see? Anyone have any ideas or is there something I am doing wrong? I have cleaned the screen and the tear off and installed it so that there is no air between them.......... Im stuck..... I think its a valuable investment to protect the screen but now Im considering scrapping the idea....... Thanks for any input or ideas.....

D

surfinspacegirl
Tue May 11th, 2004, 03:17 PM
So I have an Arai Edwards and I ordered some Arai clear tearoffs. When they arrived I was interested to see they have a slight blue/greenish tint....... Didnt care to much until I attached it to the tear off posts and it blurs the screen so bad I can hardly tell what things are......... wtf? they are Arai brand and are labled clear on the package..... this cant be right...... How can you race if U cant see? Anyone have any ideas or is there something I am doing wrong? I have cleaned the screen and the tear off and installed it so that there is no air between them.......... Im stuck..... I think its a valuable investment to protect the screen but now Im considering scrapping the idea....... Thanks for any input or ideas.....

D

I don't think I've seen anyone use those in the MRA - our races are so short I doubt you really need them, but I may be wrong...

Anonymous
Tue May 11th, 2004, 03:54 PM
I have some - not sure of what brand (LP maybe - I remember the sticker said they came from Tucker Rocky). I tried them out at Pueblo (in case I needed them between Sportsman & AGTU - since there's no break between those races), but I didn't end up tearing it off. Mine aren't blurry, or blue-green, but here are a few thoughts I had when reading your post:

- How many did you attach? I only had 1 on there (just in case), but I think if you put too many on, they will distort your vision.

- Were the individual tear-offs seperated by a protective sheet (wax-like paper) to prevent scratching? If not, perhaps there's a very thin peel-off layer on each tear-off (similar to the protective coating on the screens of new cell phones) that you need to remove first?

- Did they come with any instructions? Do the helmet instructions have any mention of how to use them?

I'm not certain, but I think that tear-offs are pretty much universal (since they don't cover the entire shield). If so, you're welcome to try one of mine at PPIR.

BlueDevil
Wed May 12th, 2004, 06:03 AM
I didnt think of the protective covering...that could be. They are all together in the pack and could potentially rub and scratch......

I only put one on to try it out. The reason I decided to try them is cause the last few times at SCR, the track has been pretty dirty in a few spots and when a rider is in front of me I get pounded with dirt and sand........ Arai screens (well any screen arent cheap when U ding em up all the time) I thought it would be a useful tool. Im gonna check to see if they have a coating on them.

They are ARAI brand and had no instructions with them.

BlueDevil
Wed May 12th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Bingo!!!! Should have thought of that. Im an idiot. :idea:

Anonymous
Wed May 12th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Glad I could help! 8)

BlueDevil
Wed May 12th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Guess I didnt need any help being an idiot but thanks (I guess) for helping everyone else to know... haha :lol:

Ohwell, now Im pretty excited about not having nay more tiny pits in my visor. 8)

BlueDevil
Thu May 13th, 2004, 07:52 AM
ahhhh so nice to be able to see again. haha SUre enough they had coating on both sides of each tear off. I will say that Im not sure Y they dont mention it. There isnt any edges to grab hold or hint to you that there is a cover on it. And there are no instructions saying to pull it off. Guess most people are supposed to assume this cause its blurry.........

Kinda like coffe at Mcdonalds is HOT right? haha

But at least U get a warning on the cup..... :lol: