PDA

View Full Version : Power Commander PCIII USB (636)

BoulderNinja
Mon May 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I just bought a power commander for my 2004 636 and was curious if anyone knew the best place to get high altitude maps... I found one from the PC website, but I don't think it is high altitude rated. Installation advice?
:siesta:

lightning126zp
Mon May 7th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I took mine to SR tuning here in the Springs. He mapped my SV650S using a Dyno and only charged me $200. My bike gained 10+hp and 8+ torque.

However, according to Power Commander, you can download their mapping from the website and the tech said that the map's the same even for high altitude.

Hope that helped.

pauliep
Mon May 7th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Tk motorsports is where I had mine done

BoulderNinja
Mon May 7th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the responses....i was reading an installation guide and it seemed semi-complicated..removing gas tank and airbox????

pauliep
Mon May 7th, 2007, 07:44 PM
not really. I was able to figure it out. the bolts at the top of your tank come off and you should be able to pull it back. Don't forget to take the seat off.

The_Jackel
Tue May 8th, 2007, 10:11 AM
However, according to Power Commander, you can download their mapping from the website and the tech said that the map's the same even for high altitude.

Technically the maps are the same as in they can be used up here. But all maps on that site are for an almost sea level tune. We always have to lean those maps out to even get close to good power from them. All maps up here are custom no matter what, no plug and play.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue May 8th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I've got my '03 636 mapped...let me know if you find one that you like...mine has plenty of power, but i'm probably not getting the best MPG the bike could get. I'm only getting about 135 miles per tank when my gas light turns on.

BoulderNinja
Tue May 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I've got my '03 636 mapped...let me know if you find one that you like...mine has plenty of power, but i'm probably not getting the best MPG the bike could get. I'm only getting about 135 miles per tank when my gas light turns on.

I am only getting 130 before the reserve light kicks on right now!!! Is there anyway I can get you to e-mail me that map???

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue May 8th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Boulder- I'll see what i can find...i'll take my laptop home tonight and mess with it a little...and send you what i have. PM me your email.
Travis

irdave
Mon May 14th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Clarkie has a DynoJet dyno with the new software to custom make a map for your bike on the fly- very sweet- and for your bike, not some random, generic map. Located in/around Longmont.

http://clarkiemotoworks.com/index.html

Clarkie
Tue May 15th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Clarkie has a DynoJet dyno with the new software to custom make a map for your bike on the fly- very sweet- and for your bike, not some random, generic map. Located in/around Longmont.

http://clarkiemotoworks.com/index.html

this one is better Dave moto-garage.com :)

BoulderNinja
Tue May 15th, 2007, 11:54 AM
this one is better Dave moto-garage.com :)

How much?

Sully
Tue May 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Good Gawd .. you must be made of $$$... a new bike, new gear, new power commander... bling bling yo ! ;)

BoulderNinja
Tue May 15th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Ebay!!! Got my Power Commander on ebay for 100$$ New in Box, the gear has been accumulated over time..but yes, the new bike has required some debt....:(

Can't you manually adjust PCs to your preference? Richer = More Gas = More power???? How does the rich/lean relationship work?

prickle
Tue May 15th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Didn't we talk about this already?:)

Anyway,

You certainly can adjust adjust it manually and I know a lot of people that have with acceptable results. The problems is that the tuning grid can be really confusing and there just isn't a realistic way to make the exact adjustments without a way of seeing A/F mix in the exhaust and true power increases and decreases after adjusting i.e. a dyno.

You can download a preset map for your bike but it's the general consensus that that map is useless at altitude.

As for the Air/Fuel ratio, no, adding more gas to the mix does not necessarily add more power. Especially at altitude it's actually the opposite. What you're going for is what's called pure octane, or stoich. Which in a perfect world would be 14.7:1. That being 14.7 units of air to 1 unit of fuel. So as you can see, if you have less air coming in the engine, you need less gas to keep that ratio the same.

And there are the basics of internal combustion.
Sorry that was so lengthy, and don't let me make you think you have to get it dyno tuned but just know that you won't be getting the most you can out of it if you don't.

Clarkie
Tue May 15th, 2007, 04:10 PM
so 14.7:1 a/f will make the best power up here at altitude?

prickle
Tue May 15th, 2007, 05:06 PM
14.7:1 is just a ratio, it's always the theoretical ideal, at any altitude. (Even though, since fuel never burns completely is actually closer to 12:1 blahblahblah) It should be noted that 14.7 is near impossible to achieve in the real world because of gas impurities and the fact that air never has the same amount of oxygen in it at any given time or place. You just want to get as close as you can.

Clarkie
Tue May 15th, 2007, 06:58 PM
So I should be mapping bikes as close to 14.7:1 as I can? :)

rforsythe
Tue May 15th, 2007, 07:14 PM
It doesn't hurt to be just a little rich of stoichiometric (i.e. 14.7:1)... Try to get close, but even 12:1 isn't bad.

Clarkie
Tue May 15th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I can tell you there is a HUGE difference to tuning a bike between 12:1 and 14.7:1 ;) Going from 12.2:1 to 13.2:1 on my dyno in a 750 and a 1000 is 10hp, going up to 14.5:1 (like the bike will run on U4.1) without a Yosh box or a Teka will lose another 10hp

This is the joy of having your own dyno and knowing stuff about bikes and air fuel :alien:

prickle
Tue May 15th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Dude you should be the one answering the questions!:D

Mr. "I have my own dyno" haha

Clarkie
Tue May 15th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I just wanted to see where you were going with the a/f thing :)

prickle
Tue May 15th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Ha what a sneak, well was I close?

Clarkie
Tue May 15th, 2007, 11:14 PM
if you want power, 13.0:1 -13.6:1 depending on the effeciency of the head design, the more efficient the less fuel needed to make power, like all dyno's O2 sensors tend to read a little different as well. The skill in the dyno operator is finding the best a/f ratio for the bike they are working on, building a map at 13.2:1 and leaving it there without checking it is a bad idea. I have seen some twins (Aprilia's, Ducati's) run best at 13.0:1, my SBK likes 13.6:1 because of the head.

The dyno is just another tool, if you dont know how to use the tool properly you just have an expensive paperweight :)

BoulderNinja
Wed May 16th, 2007, 05:26 PM
So...where is the best place to get my bike dyno tuned and does anyone offer a CSC discount? :)

UglyDogRacing
Wed May 16th, 2007, 05:57 PM
So...where is the best place to get my bike dyno tuned and does anyone offer a CSC discount? :)

http://tk-motorsports.com/

http://www.moto-garage.com/

Clarkie
Wed May 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM
PM sent :)

Dr. Joe Siphek
Thu May 17th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I've got the same bike...just a year older('03 model), would we both be able to use the same map, maybe splitting the costs? i'm very interested, as i have just a map from PC's Website for an aftermarket can and stock air filter. would this be possible or are all bikes/maps different?

Clarkie
Thu May 17th, 2007, 08:48 AM
are the engines identicle? pipes? airfilter?

sometimes a custom map will work very well in another bike, just like sometimes a downloaded map will work great in another bike, sometimes two identicle bikes have totally different maps. It depends on which production run the bike was built on, built on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday, but i am guessing two bikes built a year apart will like things a little different.

I only charge $200 for a custom map for a sportbike ($150 for a cruiser), other places charge $260-$280, being a mobile dyno business we have lower overheads and are prepared to pass our lower running costs on :)

i was asked if we give a CSC discount, well you are getting a $60-$80 discount right off the bat

BoulderNinja
Thu May 17th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I've got the same bike...just a year older('03 model), would we both be able to use the same map, maybe splitting the costs? i'm very interested, as i have just a map from PC's Website for an aftermarket can and stock air filter. would this be possible or are all bikes/maps different?

I guess the main difference between our bikes is the slip on.....I am considering checking out Clarkie's dyno setup Sunday, we should meet up, maybe a ride prior???...I wonder how different the mechanicals of our bikes really are...I doubt there is that big of difference...

Dr. Joe Siphek
Thu May 17th, 2007, 12:17 PM
BOulder...you have a PM.

BoulderNinja
Fri May 18th, 2007, 11:51 PM
So, I installed the power commander with the necessary corresponding map and it is all kinds of fucked up. The led bars do not move when I roll on the throttle and when I gave it some gas, it shuttered...never stalled, but really shuttered...Also, there were times when the bike wouldn't respond despite giving it gas. Anyone have any ideas??? I have reinstalled the PC with stock map but am nervous about testing it out.

Clarkie
Sat May 19th, 2007, 08:02 AM
The led bars do not move when I roll on the throttle

Are there any bars showing, and is the engine running or stopped?

BoulderNinja
Sat May 19th, 2007, 09:01 AM
The engine is running and there is one green LED bar at the very bottom. It never moves no matter the RPMS...I also noticed even at operating temperature at 7K RPMS the bike starts bucking, nearly threw me off!

Thanks for any help!

Clarkie
Sat May 19th, 2007, 09:42 AM
try setting the TPS in the powercommander software