PDA

View Full Version : Gixxer

firegixx600
Wed May 9th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Got a ? about the steering dampner on an '06 600 gixxer. The bike has 700 miles on it and hasn't been ridden in 6 months or so. The damper doesn't seem to be working at all? Checked to see if maybe the fluid leaked out of it, but didn't find anything. I'm guessing that has to be what it is, but baffled that there is no sign of it leaking. Unbolted it from the frame and it does have some resistance, but it's not enough to do anything when riding it, slow or fast(only went 40 or so) I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if it may be some fluke thing that hopefully their warranty will cover

Sparker
Wed May 9th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Damper, not dampner. Haha. Well its the OEM one which are known to be crap. They really dont do much in the way of really helping. Doubt the fluid leaked, if it did there would be some left over on the tube. If you are concerned about it get an aftermarket one.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed May 9th, 2007, 09:02 AM
you can always take apart the stock damper and put a heavier weight oil in it, just be careful when its cold cause it won't want to move.

TT5.0
Wed May 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM
you can always take apart the stock damper and put a heavier weight oil in it, just be careful when its cold cause it won't want to move.
This is what a lot of the 1000 guys do. The stock dampers are underfilled with very light oil. Put some 15W fork oil in it and make sure you get all the air out. Search gixxer.com for instructions.

Mel
Wed May 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Why is it that you think the damper isn't functioning?

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed May 9th, 2007, 10:30 AM
yeah...that too? come sit on my bike w/ no damper and then you'll prolly feel the difference.

firegixx600
Wed May 9th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I'm just guessing. Not for sure that's what the problem is, but can't understand how a brand new bike would just all the sudden not have any resistance while turning?? Talk to one of my fellow gixxer buddies back in OK and he said that it sounded like maybe something more serious than the Damper

Bueller
Wed May 9th, 2007, 05:17 PM
The damper is for higher speed oscillations, if you feel it from just turning back and forth it is doing nothing more than making it hard so steer at low speed.