PDA

View Full Version : Seat Shaving

64BonnieLass
Wed May 9th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Does anybody have a recommendation for a good seat shaving outfit in Denver? I am hoping to have it not only lowered but shaved in on the sides as well given my short inseam (yea dat's right I'm a midget). I thought I would have the stock seat lowered on the new SV650S as opposed to lowering the bike itself.

Thanks in advance.

T

Fly boy
Wed May 9th, 2007, 06:48 PM
find someone with a tools, grinder, and a staple gun. Get ahold of some carpet padding, and do it yourself.

my brother-in-law's turned out very nice.

Mel
Wed May 9th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Why do you wanna do that instead of lowering? The lowering links are inexpensive, and aren't going to change the geometry enough that you will be effected by it. Additionally, the links can be removed and put back to stock for resale.

rybo
Wed May 9th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Hey girl,

This is something we can easily do in your garage on a weekend. Just say the word and I'll be there.

I understand that you don't want to lower the bike itself, and this is one good way to avoid doing that.

Scott

King Nothing
Wed May 9th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Hey girl,

This is something we can easily do in your garage on a weekend. Just say the word and I'll be there.

I understand that you don't want to lower the bike itself, and this is one good way to avoid doing that.

Scottx2

scottiegwood
Wed May 9th, 2007, 10:52 PM
if anyone wants to help i could use it done as well... hit me up or PM me if you interersted...... south east denver area?!?!?!

pilot
Wed May 9th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I'm thinking a tech night *somebody's garage* might be in order. Great way to socialize and learn some tech skills.

rybo
Thu May 10th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Pilot,

I'm with you. I think it's time.

New thread started

I'm going to start looking at my calendar and seeing what I can set up.

s

Devaclis
Thu May 10th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Why do you wanna do that instead of lowering? The lowering links are inexpensive, and aren't going to change the geometry enough that you will be effected by it. Additionally, the links can be removed and put back to stock for resale.

Lowring the SV is not a good option Mel. Even when balancing out the suspension by raising the forks in the tripple the handeling is not the same. You also have wheel clearance issues in the real fender and peg and exhaust clearance issues.

BTW: Anyone need a set of Vortex lowring links for an SV? ;)

Sortarican
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Lowring the SV is not a good option Mel. Even when balancing out the suspension by raising the forks in the tripple the handeling is not the same. You also have wheel clearance issues in the real fender and peg and exhaust clearance issues.
BTW: Anyone need a set of Vortex lowring links for an SV? ;)

+1 on the lowering, at least based on the way Piezies SV turned out.
That thing went from very managable to schizophrenic.
Nice and smooth 1/3 of the way into a turn and then it would nose dive hard.
Then again I'm not sure how many adjustments you tried Dana, before removing the lowering links.
It looked like you set it up in a balanced manner with equal adjustments fore and aft.

Terri,
+1 on doing it for you, I've got the adhesives, rivets, and the old 1910 foot powered singer set up for auto apholstery if you want to do a custom recover.
(Dana, I can do up the two-tone cover you wanted at the same time.)
If you want it done quick and don't want to ask for help,
(we all know Terri has issues asking for help, hence her mental imbalance),
try Sew Fine on the corner of Windermere and Belleview.
They do motorcycle seats as well as auto interior.

If you want DIY and need materials:
Denver Fabric
Belleview between Santa Fe and Federal
Vinyl material.(but no foam).
Colorado Auto Trim Supply
401 South Meade Street
Denver, CO 80219
(Has everything)

There's also an apholstery place on Hampden frontage road just west of Lowel that has foam.

Also, use marine grade everything, not furniture grade.

Devaclis
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:09 AM
BTW: If you guys want to do a South Denver tech day, I have a TON of tools and a pretty good sized garage. I can offer up my spot and we can try to out do Scotts BBQ!!! Let me know ifthere is interest. :)

64BonnieLass
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:14 AM
(Dana, I can do up the two-tone cover you wanted at the same time.)[/B]
If you want it done quick and don't want to ask for help,
(we all know Terri has issues asking for help, hence her mental imbalance),

Damn god it Jeffey, I, in no way, have an imbalanced mental. Pft!

Sortarican
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Damn god it Jeffey, I, in no way, have an imbalanced mental. Pft!

Of course you don't Terri....
(walking backwards, Jeff slowly moves away...)
Nobody thinks your crazy.......
(whispers over his shoulder: "Get the net ready guys.")
:)

Mel
Thu May 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
soooo, you are all sniffing glue? :lol:
Good to know on lowering the SV Dana...I have ridden 1 or 2 lowered gixxers and they weren't bad at all.

scottiegwood
Thu May 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM
BTW: If you guys want to do a South Denver tech day, I have a TON of tools and a pretty good sized garage. I can offer up my spot and we can try to out do Scotts BBQ!!! Let me know ifthere is interest. :)

i know i don't really know anyone yet but i'm up for it.... and i'm willing to offer up my skills in the kitchen if we wanted to make it our own BBQ

rybo
Thu May 10th, 2007, 01:33 PM
WTF Dana??!!?? Trying to take my idea and improve on it, squeeze me out of the market you "johnnie come lately" idea theif. I can see doing a tech day, but trying to one up my BBQ too??? What's up with that!

Devaclis
Thu May 10th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Well, I am a pretty good chef too. The whole idea is to have a good time, meet some new friends, and have them all say that my BBQ kicks your BBQ's butt :)

haha actually, I am in a pretty good location to offer up a garage and tools. And I know a little bit about bikes, a LOT about Hawks, and a TON about how to have a good time. Come on down when we get this organized Scott!

rybo
Thu May 10th, 2007, 01:41 PM
You know I'll be there just to sample the BBQ and proclaim it inferior to the original! I'll even ride the hawk!

Sortarican
Thu May 10th, 2007, 01:51 PM
.... The whole idea is to have a good time, meet some new friends, and have them all say that my BBQ kicks your BBQ's butt...... :)
....and to highjack multiple threads in one fell swoop.:drink:

.....I know a little bit about bikes, a LOT about Hawks, and a TON about how to have a good time.....

Didn't your bike start to come apart "in flight" the last time you wrenched on it?:banghead:
(But he does know how to have a good time, I'll give him that.)

Devaclis
Thu May 10th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Well, just the brakes :)

Sortarican
Thu May 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Well, just the brakes :)
Oh, that's all.
Hell, you don't need no stink'in brakes!

BTW,
You still want new two-tone skin for the Hawk's seat?
If you shave Terri's seat...(D'oh, I just got that and it made me laugh),
and need to get new skin pick up some for yours and I'll make like a girl and sew it up.

pilot
Thu May 10th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Jeff,
Thanks for breaking the ice on this one

BTW,

If you shave Terri's seat...(D'oh, I just got that and it made me laugh),

Now, I'll melt it...

Sortarican
Thu May 10th, 2007, 04:52 PM
:pointlaugh: Now that's some funny shit there.

wulf
Fri May 11th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Suzuki makes a lowered seat for the sv's

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Fri May 11th, 2007, 08:49 PM

Dana-

When are you looking at doing this? Sounds good to me. If I can make it to both, I'll be glad to "judge" the BBQ at both places.

scottiegwood
Sun May 13th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Well, I am a pretty good chef too. The whole idea is to have a good time, meet some new friends, and have them all say that my BBQ kicks your BBQ's butt :)

haha actually, I am in a pretty good location to offer up a garage and tools. And I know a little bit about bikes, a LOT about Hawks, and a TON about how to have a good time. Come on down when we get this organized Scott!

not trying to jack any ideas... i just thought it may be more convinient to have a BBQ on this side of town (not sure where everyone is at) as far as i'm concerened we could combine efforts on the BBQ thing and just plain have a bad ass time

Mel
Sun May 13th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Hey, I am down for that...can we do it on a Sunday so I can play too? :D