PDA

View Full Version : June 10th-Tech day at Rybo's!

rybo
Thu May 10th, 2007, 05:54 AM
There have been a lot of tech questions lately, so let's start looking at doing a tech day. My garage is huge and I have a decent set of tools so I can offer it up as space. It's pretty far for some of you, but it might just be worth the trip!

Cathy, up north here, was looking to do this a while back too. I'm pretty handy with the general maintenance stuff. I might be able to get IRDave to show up and talk about suspension. We can cover changing coolant for track days, chaning oil, brake fluid etc. Setting chain tension and all kinds of other good stuff.

Then we can adjourn to the patio for burgers and stuff...

Lets start looking at dates....but if you're interested please fill out the poll above

Thanks

Scott

pauliep
Thu May 10th, 2007, 06:48 AM
the poll looks to be at 100%, hehe

Hopefully this gets to happen with in the next couple days because I'm heading out shortly :/

CurtisRR
Thu May 10th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Great idea Scott!

If I was in CO I'd come hang out.

Props to you for offering your space & assistance.

64BonnieLass
Thu May 10th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I think this would be a great idea. I still don't know where Milliken is but I'll find it. (Does it appear on Colorado state maps - lol j/k)
:)

I would also be more than happy to bring a salad or hordevours or whateva for the "patio time".

konichd
Thu May 10th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Dare I say this would be "RAD!"

BoulderNinja
Thu May 10th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Where the f. is Milliken?

I would be really interested....pending the date.

Sortarican
Thu May 10th, 2007, 08:30 AM
I'm in.
It would be great to do this before the big track day in July too.

Let me know if there's anything I can contribute, either to the tech session or the bbq.

Devaclis
Thu May 10th, 2007, 08:36 AM
I am all over this. Let me know if I can bring anything. Well, within reason, I WILL be on the Hawk after all :)

konichd
Thu May 10th, 2007, 08:49 AM
If your in Denver and don't want to ride up to Milliken I'd have 2 open spots on a 2 rail trailer for anybody :dunno:

Devaclis
Thu May 10th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I hope you have a big trailer.

'cause I wanna put my bike in it.

64BonnieLass
Thu May 10th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Well if you boys want to use my bike to demo how to shave a seat for midgets then I may take you up on that DK. Cause I"m not riding it until I can touch the ground. I'm funny that way...:slappers:

Devaclis
Thu May 10th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Ter, we can even do this on Sunday if you want. While I am putting on your frame sliders :)

rybo
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Ter, we can even do this on Sunday if you want. While I am putting on your frame sliders :)

Yeah...get this done so you can go and ride! I want to see this new bike you speak of!

cdbouncer
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:02 AM
hehe...I can bring VOID - he can tear anything apart :shocked: still a little leary of the "extra" pieces we have laying around tho :)

I'm there - depending on the day :)

mtnairlover
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I heard somewhere that you're also a good cook, so you got me...um, but maybe I shoulda said you had me at TechDay...te he.

Yeppers, count me in and since I'm really close, ask me to help out ahead of time and to stay late for clean up too. I may still be completely clueless compared to most of you guys when it comes to bikes, but I'm ready to learn and help out where ever needed...k.

Dates? It really doesn't matter much, but not May 27. Other than that, well, wait, maybe not May 19 either, k. Other than that...anytime.:)

~Barn~
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Can I drive my car over there and attempt to change the oil and air filter?

Hey!... at least I'll have lots of room to bring food!

rybo
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:44 AM
hehe...I can bring VOID - he can tear anything apart :shocked: still a little leary of the "extra" pieces we have laying around tho :)

I'm there - depending on the day :)

Yeah...bring the "extra parts" and the bike you think they go to too....we'll see if we can figure out where they fit.

I heard somewhere that you're also a good cook,

Not sure where you heard that, but it's a dirty rotten lie.

Can I drive my car over there and attempt to change the oil and air filter?

Hey!... at least I'll have lots of room to bring food!

All good by me Barn. I'll be sure to have plenty of room for used motor oil.

~Barn~
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Places like Checker and Autozone still take oil for recycling, right? I have a drain pan that I used for my bike, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it would hold an entire car's worth.
:think:
I'll have to go check what it's capacity is.

Anyway... I just don't have ramps or a jack or anything. Thats kinda my main problem since I'm not exactly svelte enough to fit under my car. :lol:

pilot
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Sounds great Scott. I'd like to come for the schoolin' May be in Canada then...

64BonnieLass
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Places like Checker and Autozone still take oil for recycling, right? I have a drain pan that I used for my bike, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it would hold an entire car's worth.
:think:
I'll have to go check what it's capacity is.

Anyway... I just don't have ramps or a jack or anything. Thats kinda my main problem since I'm not exactly svelte enough to fit under my car. :lol:

Barn...I have ramps for the car if you need them.

eklew
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Can you show me how to fix my trailer tongue???? hahaha. Scott has a nice lawn as well at his house! I will definitely be there to assist if needed man.

~Barn~
Thu May 10th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Barn...I have ramps for the car if you need them.

You have all kinds of things that I need, Terri. ;)

rybo
Thu May 10th, 2007, 10:05 AM
You have all kinds of things that I need, Terri. ;)
While this may be true, I have a feeling she's only offering up the ramps :)

rybo
Thu May 10th, 2007, 10:05 AM
OK.....looking at my schedule, how does June 10th sound for everyone?

mtnairlover
Thu May 10th, 2007, 10:09 AM
June 10!? Yep, that fits my schedule...ha, yeah, my summer schedule <she says with a twinkle in her eye and thinking nya-nya, nya-nya, nya) :p

64BonnieLass
Thu May 10th, 2007, 10:11 AM
June 10th works for me.

Devaclis
Thu May 10th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Sounds good :)

Dr. Joe Siphek
Thu May 10th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I'm in...don't really have any maint needs...unless i get front SS lines by then, but highly doubtful. I'm mainly interested in getting my stock suspension dialed in and i don't dare touch it w/o someones know how.

Just let me know the date, i already know how to get there!

pauliep
Thu May 10th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Post up an after action since I miss the fun.

cdbouncer
Thu May 10th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I can play!!! :rock:

Slo
Thu May 10th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I'm game for sure!!!! Will have a couple of others with me as well if you don't mind.

cdbouncer
Thu May 10th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Hey RYBO - what'll yer neighbors think when you got 40 bikes parked in your driveway?

Mel
Thu May 10th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I don't really need anything for the bike...but I might come just to chill.
Barn, if you wanna do oil and filters you can give Richard a call and just come down to my place one evening.

~Barn~
Thu May 10th, 2007, 12:49 PM
If you're gonna just come by to chill Mel, you can help me then!
:D

Oh, and quit volunteering Richard for everything. Last time I called and left dude a voicemail, I never heard back. :lol:

Fly boy
Thu May 10th, 2007, 12:52 PM
you going to be mad if I show up on the Darkside? Jenn and I should be an attendence.

rybo
Thu May 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Hey RYBO - what'll yer neighbors think when you got 40 bikes parked in your driveway?

Interesting thought, haven't tested those waters yet.....

VOID
Thu May 10th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Oh, this is going to be a party!

I swear there aren't many parts left when I work on bikes!

Mel
Thu May 10th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Oh, and quit volunteering Richard for everything. Last time I called and left dude a voicemail, I never heard back. :lol:

lol, I think that was because I told him what you needed and that it had already passed. :lol: Mostly I said to call Richard because he can order your parts for you if you wanted ;)

~Barn~
Thu May 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Gotcha. Well tell him to order me a K&N cold air induction for the 2.8 V6
(part #57-0515 (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-0515))

Only if he can get it for less than $120 including tax though. That's the least expensive I've found it online so far. Have him call me up for my payment info, if he can swing it.

rybo
Thu May 10th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Gotcha. Well tell him to order me a K&N cold air induction for the 2.8 V6
(part #57-0515 (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-0515))

Only if he can get it for less than $120 including tax though. That's the least expensive I've found it online so far. Have him call me up for my payment info, if he can swing it.

Mel, Please also have him order the restrictor plate kit for the same engine. Barn just got his license back and we don't need him having the capability to go faster....

Barn....for the next couple of years, think :turtle:

~Barn~
Thu May 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM
:lol:

Scott is the little angel on one shoulder, and Chadwick is the little devil on the other.

rybo
Mon May 14th, 2007, 06:02 AM
OK....so we know we want a tech day, now what do we want to learn about?

Post suggestions here and I'll change the poll later on.

So far:

1. Coolant change for track days
2. Oil change
3. Brake pads
4. Brake lines
5. Chain adjustment
6. Basic suspension set up

Keep adding to the list. If we actually do these things I don't think we'll be able to cover more than 10 topics. It would be great if people brought bikes that needed these jobs done so that we had "real world" application.

Fly boy
Mon May 14th, 2007, 06:20 AM

So far:

2. Oil change
3. Brake pads
4. Brake lines
5. Chain adjustment

Keep adding to the list. If we actually do these things I don't think we'll be able to cover more than 10 topics. It would be great if people brought bikes that needed these jobs done so that we had "real world" application.

Don't know how n00b some people are, but what about changing an Air filter and or spark plugs? :dunno:

DevilsTonic
Mon May 14th, 2007, 06:46 AM
This is a great idea, then maybe I would be able to work on my own bike rather than taking it to copow. I will be there, if I'm in town that weekend.

Raptor
Mon May 14th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I gotta say I think it's a great idea and very generous for members to volunteer to share all this info. Thanks a ton!

Oh, how about adding 'chain removal and replacement' to 'chain adjustment'?

G

<edit> 10th sounds fine but yeah...where the hell is Milliken?

konichd
Mon May 14th, 2007, 08:41 AM

So far:

2. Oil change
3. Brake pads
4. Brake lines
5. Chain adjustment

7. How to install aftermarket clip-ons
8. Wiring fundamentals (power comnaders, integraded lights, etc.)
9. Tire removal and bearing maintenance
10. How to properly safety wire a bike

:)

rybo
Mon May 14th, 2007, 08:53 AM
OK....poll edited.

Filo
Mon May 14th, 2007, 08:55 AM
I might be there. The big problem is that is the weekend of my and Sid's birthday. If I can get springs/cart emulators/etc for the SV front end, maybe I will run through the front forks to get things ready for PMI.

mtnairlover
Mon May 14th, 2007, 09:02 AM
As to the poll? My answer would have to be...all of the above.

Actually, I've changed the oil and filter...no biggie there. I haven't gotten as far as after market stuff either, but would rather just know as much maintenance as possible.

Can you get the feeling that I'm gonna be hanging all over the bikes on that day just to see, listen and soak it all in?

Wanna use the Zed as a guinea pig?

rybo
Mon May 14th, 2007, 09:07 AM
All of the above is surely a valid answer, but I have to say there is no way we are getting though all of that in a day, so please vote for the topic that MOST interests you.

I'd love to use several bike as pigs from Guinea, preferably bikes that need the mentioned service. So, if your main interest is installing aftermarket brake lines, bring your bike and parts to the tech day. I'm not going to do the work for you, but I'll be happy to coach you through it as others watch and ask questions. (make sense?)

mtnairlover
Mon May 14th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Yes, makes sense. I'll take a look at my service book and see what my brake pads look like. That's been on my mind as of late. I've also been thinking about my coolant a lot lately, especially with the warmer weather and my harsher riding style.

I'll vote later.

irdave
Mon May 14th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Can you show me how to fix my trailer tongue???? hahaha.

Dude! The tongue is fine- it's the frame I bent! Actually, if you brought just the bent pieces, I bet we could make them pretty straight.

Oh, and yeah, that's a lot of topics to cover.

And another oh yeah, just so you know, about changing brake lines- they're a pain to bleed. Really.

Oh, and for sure, Scott. I can be there.

rybo
Mon May 14th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Dude! The tongue is fine- it's the frame I bent! Actually, if you brought just the bent pieces, I bet we could make them pretty straight.

Oh, and yeah, that's a lot of topics to cover.

And another oh yeah, just so you know, about changing brake lines- they're a pain to bleed. Really.

Oh, and for sure, Scott. I can be there.

Yeah, we aren't going to cover them all, that's why there is a poll.

I'm figuring that I'm not the only one who's going to be teaching. We have you and some other experienced folks showing up that can certainly cover some topics better than I can. I'll set up the ez up outside for one group, and have at least one other group working in the garage.

I'm really glad you're going to be able to make it!

s

p.s. Elden, I'm sure that I can make your trailer bits straight....hell we build railcars where I work, I'm pretty sure if it's steel we can fix it. Just need the bent piece and I can make it straight.

Clarkie
Tue May 15th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Hey Scott, how would your neighbors feel about a dyno running in your driveway :alien:

rybo
Tue May 15th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Clarkie.....I say BRING IT!

I can live with the neighbors hating me for a week, a dyno in the drive would KICK ASS!

If you are serious I would love to have you there, I can do the basic maintenance stuff, but your skills are well above mine and would push this day to a whole new level. I'll feed you, you can hand out cards and drum up business all you want. LMK if you're interested!

Scott

Clarkie
Tue May 15th, 2007, 08:48 AM
definitely interested, but teh 10th doesnt work for me.......................it would also get shut down about 10 minutes after is started :banghead:

different place, different time perhaps :)

eklew
Tue May 15th, 2007, 09:06 AM
p.s. Elden, I'm sure that I can make your trailer bits straight....hell we build railcars where I work, I'm pretty sure if it's steel we can fix it. Just need the bent piece and I can make it straight.

Sweet, I'll bring my trailer over and my tent so that there can be more shade! Hmm, maybe even the juiced little xr fiddy to play around with!

Sortarican
Tue May 15th, 2007, 09:30 AM
If Scott's garage is wired for 220 I have a portable arc welder if you want to weld up a new section on that trailer.
(Just need someone to haul it up so I can bring my bike.)

rybo
Tue May 15th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I have a 220 outlet in the garage....but there is no need for welding. This is going to be a bend back to original condition kind of deal and I'll just bring it to work where we have the big tools....

eklew
Tue May 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Cool! Thanks Scott. You da man.

uberwench
Tue May 15th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Google Maps tells me it's this far to your house:

36.9 mi (about 55 mins)

55 minutes for 37 miles? Oh, right, I'll have to stop for cattle. :)

Knuckle Dragger
Tue May 15th, 2007, 02:02 PM
If room for one more I would like to come out as well.

rybo
Tue May 15th, 2007, 02:03 PM
There's always room for more!

pauliep
Tue May 15th, 2007, 02:05 PM
There's always room for more!

Be sure when giving Scott your order for how you like your burgers cooked to stipulate rare, med, or well-done. By default Scott assumes everyone else likes their's bloody rare :)

rforsythe
Tue May 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM
hell we build railcars where I work

That reminds me... About that thing we discussed... :eyebrows:

rybo
Tue May 15th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Be sure when giving Scott your order for how you like your burgers cooked to stipulate rare, med, or well-done. By default Scott assumes everyone else likes their's bloody rare :)

I prefer that you use the terms "just right", "over cooked" or "hockey puck"

rybo
Tue May 15th, 2007, 02:13 PM
That reminds me... About that thing we discussed... :eyebrows:

Drop me a PM Ralph...we'll work it out! :)

pauliep
Tue May 15th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I prefer that you use the terms "just right", "over cooked" or "hockey puck"

I duno how you came up with packing the meat, cooking it for 10secs and throwing it in a bun "just right". No complaints from me, lol

cdbouncer
Tue May 15th, 2007, 02:28 PM
:shocked: this is just the wrong time to re-enter the conversation! :eek:

I duno how you came up with packing the meat, cooking it for 10secs and throwing it in a bun "just right". No complaints from me, lol

Slo
Tue May 15th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Hahahhaha......

rybo
Tue May 15th, 2007, 02:34 PM

And for some reason you just couldn't resist.....

pauliep
Tue May 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
:scatter:

cdbouncer
Tue May 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
:hump: you know it!!!! 'sides - if it's my job to heckle i better get started now!!! :eyebrows:

And for some reason you just couldn't resist.....

~Barn~
Tue May 15th, 2007, 03:11 PM
How do'ya want it? Burnt to a crisp, or bloody as hell?

Bloody as hell.
And to drink, a vanilla Coke.

[/Pulp Fiction]

McVaaahhh
Tue May 15th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't mind attending if there's still room.I'd love to figure out how to set-up the suspension on a 600 for a "big-guy".

~Barn~
Tue May 15th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't mind attending if there's still room.I'd love to figure out how to set-up the suspension on a 600 for a "big-guy".

2-words:
Make sure you bring a bottle of heavier fork oil, and/or different springs.

cdbouncer
Tue May 15th, 2007, 04:25 PM
:puppy: how is that two words?

2-words:

sheesh..i'm a pain in the ass - going off to hide in the corner for awhile

irdave
Tue May 15th, 2007, 08:28 PM
2-words:

Maybe 4 words...

Heavier fork oil, stiffer springs, and pistons with wee-little holes in them for even more damping. But for sure it can be done.

Maybe that was 5?

~Barn~
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I'm just guesstimating here.
:lol:

Anyway, it's kinda funny how I sorta know the parts that are needed for a particular upgrade or change, but if it came down to actually installing them, I wouldn't have a clue.

If I'm able to make it down for Tech Day, I figure I can be helpful in the "chain cleaning and slack adjustment" seminar, as well as a little presentation I like to call "checking your tire pressure".
Oh!.. and I can help you wash the bejeezus out of your bike. Ironic, since I won't detail my own car, but hey.... bikes are smaller. :D

rybo
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:09 AM
and I can help you wash the bejeezus out of your bike. Ironic, since I won't detail my own car, but hey.... bikes are smaller. :D

For Barn's "Washing the Bejeezus" out of your bike session there will be a pressure washer available.

For the tire pressure session there will be a gauge and compressor available

cdbouncer
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I get dibs on the pressure washer!!!! :yay:

For Barn's "Washing the Bejeezus" out of your bike session there will be a pressure washer available.

For the tire pressure session there will be a gauge and compressor available

mtnairlover
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I get dibs on the pressure washer!!!! :yay:

Uh oh...look out VOID!!!

~Barn~
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:16 AM
If anybody has a can of it, somebody bring kerosene. I'm seriously.

Even if I flame out on Tech Day (no pun intended), I know Scott knows where I'm going with that.

rybo
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Uh oh...look out VOID!!!

Yup...think waterproof clothing.

If anybody has a can of it, somebody bring kerosene. I'm seriously.

Even if I flame out on Tech Day (no pun intended), I know Scott knows where I'm going with that.

Yeah....at this point you aren't allowed to flame out. I'll go get a couple gallons of K gas for everyone to share. No need to bring your own.

mtnairlover
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Yup...think waterproof clothing.

Waterproof?! Nah, I was thinking...mmm, wet t-shirt...uh, for da guys:hump: Us girls needs our entertainment too ya know.

rybo
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Waterproof?! Nah, I was thinking...mmm, wet t-shirt...uh, for da guys:hump: Us girls needs our entertainment too ya know.

watching bouncer blast void with the pressure washer is going to be entertainment for all.....

In the interest of safety I'll give Void some safety glasses. I think OSHA will approve.

mtnairlover
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Better make sure you've got an extra pair of those safety glasses, sweetie. Never know when someone might get pressure washer happy...I'm just sayin'.

rybo
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM
As you think about turning the pressure washer wand in my direction ask yourself the following question...."which person here will be holding wrenches near my bike..."

cdbouncer
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:46 AM
That might not necessarily be a bad thing ;)

As you think about turning the pressure washer wand in my direction ask yourself the following question...."which person here will be holding wrenches near my bike..."

rybo
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM
That might not necessarily be a bad thing ;)

True, but it COULD be a bad thing. Are you sure you want to take that chance?

mtnairlover
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Hmmm...someone's gettin' frisky...me likey frisky.:hump: So, in which direction shall we be pointin' that washer wand...hmmm, decisions, decisions.

cdbouncer
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:52 AM
:turtle: you know....when i can hold my own on a ride....maybe ;)

VOID
Wed May 16th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I'm thinking Helmet, Jacket, and swim trunks.

No need for Saftey glasses Scott ;)

~Barn~
Wed May 16th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Is there an outdoor pool out near M-town? Will it be open by the 10th?
:D

will-t
Wed May 16th, 2007, 11:39 AM
you going to be mad if I show up on the Darkside? Jenn and I should be an attendence.

+1. We can have a little cruiser section over in the corner.

Filo
Wed May 16th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I have a vacuum brake bleeder if anyone wants me to bring it and Scott doesn't already have one. It is the manual pump type, not the fancy-schmancy one, but it works a lot better than the brake master cylinder method. LMK.

Fly boy
Wed May 16th, 2007, 03:08 PM
+1. We can have a little cruiser section over in the corner.

LOL, sounds good to me, and maybe a little cruiser tech day as well :) HAHA

rybo
Wed May 16th, 2007, 04:38 PM
IRDave has confirmed that he will be here for this day, so that should make all you suspension set up folks happy! Remember, this guy does this kind of thing for a living, so while I'm sure he's willing to do a general presentation for all of us on the "basics" if you want specific work done on your bike please bring a few bucks to compensate him with. You won't regret the results!

We can certainly set up "cruiser corner" for you guys, crusiers need care too!

Fly boy
Wed May 16th, 2007, 05:20 PM
IRDave has confirmed that he will be here for this day, so that should make all you suspension set up folks happy! Remember, this guy does this kind of thing for a living, so while I'm sure he's willing to do a general presentation for all of us on the "basics" if you want specific work done on your bike please bring a few bucks to compensate him with. You won't regret the results!

Cool. I think I need to adjust my rear shock so it rides better with a passenger.

1ofTheBoys
Sat May 19th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Dave adjusted my R6 at Miller and even though I didn't change out the spring it made a big difference. Can't wait to have him help with the ZX6.

Mel
Sat May 19th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Shopping list for the tech day:
Water Balloons
New Bikini
White T-Shirt

Anything else I should bring? :lol: I will probably show up...don't need to do anything to my bike, but I would be more than happy to help out some other people as needed.

Devaclis
Sat May 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM
My Hawk is getting happy in the pants. Can't wait to get here to your place Scott and get the suspension tweaked!!!

elbromisto
Sat May 19th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I might be around on June 10th if I don't crash any more between now and then. Maybe you can teach me to adjust my judgment, haha.

wulf
Sat May 19th, 2007, 09:36 PM
If i'm not workin i'd like to learn more about suspension.

I need to get my ss lines so i can swap bars, but i can do that on my own.

Scer
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 10:49 AM
It seems like I will have that weekend free. If it stays that way I will join you guys for sure. I can give my two cents about tires and wheels. Plus, I got a little list of things I need done to my bike. I will bring what tools I can. Lookin forward to it!

tech on, techas

daemon
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 11:09 AM
i would like to have an oppurtunity to learn how to get my flipping spark plugs changed.
also would like to learn basic suspension set-up.

i happen to have the shop manual on p.d.f file.
hopefully that would make it easier.
please consider me a candidate for this tech day

Sortarican
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
I have to be in court the morning of the 10th in Hot Sulfer Springs.
If all goes well (and I'm not busy fending off Bubba in the showers) I'll still try and make it by.

Another subject that might be interesting to cover, though the process is
usually very model specific, is valve adjustment/shimming.

rybo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
Jeff,

You have court on a Sunday? That seems strange.

Sortarican
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Jeff,

You have court on a Sunday? That seems strange.

Isn't it weird?
I'm hoping the trooper messed up on the date, thinking the 10th was Monday.
Keeping my fingers crossed, I could really use a dismissal on the reckless charge.
If not, everyone remember to wave when you pass me picking up trash along Hwy 40 this summer.:banghead:

What do you think about covering valve adjustments?
I need to do mine and could use it as an example.
(Though it might be better to cover engine internals at a later, mid-level, tech day.)

Slo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Isn't it weird?
I'm hoping the trooper messed up on the date, thinking the 10th was Monday.
Keeping my fingers crossed, I could really use a dismissal on the reckless charge.
If not, everyone remember to wave when you pass me picking up trash along Hwy 40 this summer.:banghead:

Maybe that was his way of letting you off?

Hahaha, I will have to take a group ride on highway 40 if your out there.....Kodak moment.

Devaclis
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM
Werd, at just around 130k mileso on the Hawk, I think I need to adjust my valves too. Maybe we could do that at the Southie tech day at my hizzie?

~Barn~
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
On a lot of citations (so I've heard :D ), there is typically a "fine print" comment which states something to the affect that if your appearance date is scheduled for a weekend or holiday which the court is observing, that you are to consider your appearance held on the next operational business day.

Not saying that to bum you out, but would rather not see you waste a trip.

rybo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Valve adjustment is certainly a more advanced topic, and I'm willing to go there if you want to Jeff.

Dana, the hawk valves are unbelieveably easy as you don't have to deal with shims, it's got threaded tappets, so you really just have to twist some screws to get it right.

s
\

Sortarican
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Maybe that was his way of letting you off?
Hahaha, I will have to take a group ride on highway 40 if your out there.....Kodak moment.
I doubt it, he was pretty pissed at me.
And that Kodak moment?
Just look for the bitter guy in the orange vest mooning all you free bastards riding past him.:cry:

On a lot of citations there is typically a "fine print" ...that you are to consider your appearance held on the next operational business day.
Not saying that to bum you out, but would rather not see you waste a trip.
Yet you bummed me out anyway didn't ya?
Actually that's good to know Barns. I'll check the summons when I get home. +1 one on wasting a trip.

Valve adjustment is certainly a more advanced topic, and I'm willing to go there if you want to Jeff.
Dana, the hawk valves are unbelieveably easy as you don't have to deal with shims, it's got threaded tappets, so you really just have to twist some screws to get it right.\

You're probably right Scott.
Enough great topics already on the agenda to more than fill the afternoon.
If there is time, maybe cover Dana's Hawk, and save shimming for Tech Day 2.

Hawke
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
FWIW I was waiting for a weekend to install new clutch/brake levers, some SS lines, heated grips, need to change the coolant, and some other things. If you want to use my bike for the presentations feel free. If not I have 6 days off starting this wednesday and I will do it then.