PDA

View Full Version : Attempt to ride the YZ250F...take 2

Marauder
Fri May 11th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Ok...so I bought this Yamaha YZ250F last August and took it to Watkins 5 days later. 6th lap, dug in too deep, crashed and broke my collar bone. Thinking MX is not for me. So, I have been talking to people about trail riding. My muffler doesn't count as a spark arrestor. Anyone know how to go about getting one? Is it a part or do I need a new pipe? Most importantly, do you think I should get rid of the YZ and look at a WR or something I can take on the road if my MX days (or day) are over?

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri May 11th, 2007, 02:47 PM
if you want to be cheap you can just saftey wire a wire mesh screen over your muffler, that's what i'd do, maybe trail riding isn't for you either? I think w/ a 4 stroke you'll enjoy the trails though.

Alchemist
Fri May 11th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Damn, that sucks dude! Unfortunately crashes happen and I guess it just depends on what floats your boat...I'd say if you plan to spend 80-90% of your time trail riding, get the WR or similar different brand.

As for the sparky, pipes can be expensive...upward of 300 or so depending on what your really wanting, just make sure it states that it is USFS approved. Many of the pipes out there have removable screens so if you do want to hit up the track on the YZF, you can pop out the insert.

Hope that helps a little...

Ok...so I bought this Yamaha YZ250F last August and took it to Watkins 5 days later. 6th lap, dug in too deep, crashed and broke my collar bone. Thinking MX is not for me. So, I have been talking to people about trail riding. My muffler doesn't count as a spark arrestor. Anyone know how to go about getting one? Is it a part or do I need a new pipe? Most importantly, do you think I should get rid of the YZ and look at a WR or something I can take on the road if my MX days (or day) are over?

AshliRider44
Fri May 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
if you want to be cheap you can just saftey wire a wire mesh screen over your muffler, that's what i'd do, maybe trail riding isn't for you either? I think w/ a 4 stroke you'll enjoy the trails though.

I disagree about him saying trail riding isn't for you... I'm not a fan of the track and kick ass on the trails, you can too!! :) Come out with us and see what you think.

I do agree with him saying to test out a 4 stroke. I love mine and hated the 2 stroke I took out there one weekend. :slappers:

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri May 11th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I think you should read my post again ashli...i didn't say trail riding wasn't for him, i said it might not be for him. And from the looks of it, he has a 4-stroke :up: Once you get more accustomed to riding the 250, you'll probaby want a 450f though.

Marauder
Fri May 11th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Is there not a "kit" that can be inserted in the existing pipe? I really don't feel like getting a new pipe for it and I can't seem to find any cheap WR's.

Buddau
Fri May 11th, 2007, 10:13 PM
There are quieter inserts for the stock pipe, you just gotta look for them on Thumer Talk.
I did find this good info that you may need...http://av-motorcycles.gotdns.com:9296/06YZ250F/index.html

FZRguy
Sat May 12th, 2007, 03:21 AM
http://www.fmfracing.com/

Buddau
Sat May 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Here is a site with all of the info on your bike you will ever need.
http://www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm
Just go down to the not free upgrades and click on the spark arrestor link.
Keep riding dirt, don't give up!
The YZ can be trail ridden. Have you riden up at VDR (Berthoud) yet?

Marauder
Sun May 13th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Here is a site with all of the info on your bike you will ever need.
http://www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm
Just go down to the not free upgrades and click on the spark arrestor link.
Keep riding dirt, don't give up!
The YZ can be trail ridden. Have you riden up at VDR (Berthoud) yet?

Great info...thanks. You and Travis might be on to something. I'll have to take a look at it but if a trip to Home Depot and a little inginuity will save $100, I'm all for it.

And no, I have only ridden dirt once; the track at Watkins. I will be looking forward to my first trail ride.

Mel
Sun May 13th, 2007, 02:24 PM
lol, Jer and tracks just don't work so well together...I bet you'll love trail riding Jer, probably a lil more up your alley.

Marauder
Mon May 14th, 2007, 11:26 AM
lol, Jer and tracks just don't work so well together...I bet you'll love trail riding Jer, probably a lil more up your alley.

Yeah...no shit:

1st time + 929RR + SCR = dead 929RR :cry:
1st time + 250F + Watkins = broken clavicle :cry:

At this point, just looking at a track might give me pink eye!

I am curious about this homemade spark arrestor. Rumor has it on TT that a homemade job will pass a "stick test".

friscokidd
Mon May 14th, 2007, 01:17 PM
if your bike is a 4 stroke, it SHOULD already have a spark arrester on it?? I could be wrong, but that was my thinking? Also, you may love the trails. You should DEFINITELY go out there with us some time....muy muy muy fun ;)

R1chie
Mon May 14th, 2007, 01:32 PM
YZ250F does not have a sparky. For $124 you can purchase a promoto billet unit. I have the old version and the new on my 04 and 06. They are easy to install and you can purchase the 94 db silencer for them (04 has one 06 does not) but I am not getting the silencer for the 06 because it is not that loud to my ears and with any silencer you lose some horsepower. I like the blue anodized version, they are the slickest units on the market IMHO.

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/promoto/sa_yam.htm

I ride the YZ on the trails all the time. Best if you drop a tooth on the front sprocket for the slow stuff. The trick setup is a flywheel weight to smooth out the power and make it much more stall resistant

AshliRider44
Mon May 14th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I think you should read my post again ashli...i didn't say trail riding wasn't for him, i said it might not be for him. And from the looks of it, he has a 4-stroke :up: Once you get more accustomed to riding the 250, you'll probaby want a 450f though.

Riiiiiiiiiiight. I thought the 250F was more of a track/racing bike though, and the 250X is the trail bike???? Either way I want to ride it because I'm looking to pick up the CRF250X for next year. :hump:

Anyway, Marauder were headed to Rampart the second or third weekend in June for the weekend. Feel free to come with, I"m sure we could take the truck so we can load one bike in the back or we can just figure something else out as far as transportation goes. We'll be camping and I'm sure it will be a good time. :D

AshliRider44
Mon May 14th, 2007, 01:43 PM
YZ250F does not have a sparky. For $124 you can purchase a promoto billet unit. I have the old version and the new on my 04 and 06. They are easy to install and you can purchase the 94 db silencer for them (04 has one 06 does not) but I am not getting the silencer for the 06 because it is not that loud to my ears and with any silencer you lose some horsepower. I like the blue anodized version, they are the slickest units on the market IMHO.

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/promoto/sa_yam.htm

I ride the YZ on the trails all the time. Best if you drop a tooth on the front sprocket for the slow stuff. The trick setup is a flywheel weight to smooth out the power and make it much more stall resistant

You need to check my bike out ;)

Sortarican
Mon May 14th, 2007, 01:54 PM
...At this point, just looking at a track might give me pink eye!

:pointlaugh: That's some funny shit.
I'm starting to feel the same way about parking lots.

+1 for keep it and trail ride.
Once you get used to it a guy your size should be able to flick that sucker around like a BMX bike.

Marauder
Mon May 14th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Anyway, Marauder were headed to Rampart the second or third weekend in June for the weekend. Feel free to come with, I"m sure we could take the truck so we can load one bike in the back or we can just figure something else out as far as transportation goes. We'll be camping and I'm sure it will be a good time. :D

Well, now...that will give me an excuse to grab the camper from pops for the weekend. Thank you for the offer. I guess I better get my registration form filled out ASAP. When do the rangers test to see if you have a spark arrestor?

Travis, I might need some pointers from you once I get to the point of working on it.

AshliRider44
Mon May 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Well, now...that will give me an excuse to grab the camper from pops for the weekend. Thank you for the offer. I guess I better get my registration form filled out ASAP. When do the rangers test to see if you have a spark arrestor?

Travis, I might need some pointers from you once I get to the point of working on it.

We rode almost every weekend last summer *(whenever it wasn't a race weekend that is) and I was not checked once! That doesn't mean they wont though :D I dont remember anyone in our groups getting checked for them either. :dunno:

Bueller
Mon May 14th, 2007, 09:47 PM
An MX bike will work fine for trail riding but is not the best suited bike for the job. Kick start, no lighting, no kick stand, plating is easy but actually being legal on the street is not. WR's are easier to ride on the trails and the suspension is more trail friendly. The home made spark arrestor will probably be fine, but if the ranger doesn't buy it, the fine will be almost what the Pro Billet cap costs. And you will be checked at Poker runs for sure.

Mel
Tue May 15th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Jer: co-worker of mine just hit up Performance and bought a new muffler for his YZ450 with the switchable packing and it was $250ish OTD...And if I talked to him, I am sure he would help ya out with getting all the stuff on your bike to make it trail legal. ;)

Alchemist
Tue May 15th, 2007, 03:32 PM
You could probably ride right past me with smoke barrelin' out the tailpipe (bikes tailpipe), a shotgun slung over your shoulder, and your middle finger frozen in eff you and I would stop Hoopty for not buckling his boot...:shocked:
J/K...The fines are pretty darn steep for not having a sparkey in a national forest though and many Ranger's wouldn't care if you had your screen door nailed to the back of your bike...I'd spend the bucks and play it safe...If ya wanna play, you gotta pay....just my $.02 worth

We rode almost every weekend last summer *(whenever it wasn't a race weekend that is) and I was not checked once! That doesn't mean they wont though :D I dont remember anyone in our groups getting checked for them either. :dunno:

R1chie
Tue May 15th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I agree with Bueller, an MX bike is not the best for trails BUT, many who race do not buy a wr, but a Yz for competition and make changes. The reason is an mx bike is lighter and more performance oriented.

The promoto billet you can remove the screen and silencer part with 3 bolts.

If you were buying a new bike and stated you were only trail riding it, I would say get a WR but if you already have the YZ the money you lose (assuming you lose money to sell it to get a different bike) could easily make the YZ in trail shape. I have never had an electric start and although nice, not nessisary. Regearing, flywheel weight, will make it run well. If you have to have electric start and headlight or want to street legalize it, the wr (or that style bike) is the way to go.

Marauder
Tue May 15th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Per Vickery, it'll cost about $800-900 to street legalize the YZ. That includes the street legal kit, DOT tires and a...damn...can't remember what the thing is called. It replaces part of the engine to generate power for the lights. Slipped my mind...

Anyway...the way I see it, if I can't find a WR for less than $3000 (and be able to get around $2000 for my YZ), I guess I should just spend the money to convert it.

Bueller
Tue May 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Stator, and you don't really need DOT tires. My KTM came with them and they are ok, but not really worth the extra, and the WR won't have 'em either.

Marauder
Wed May 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Stator
Hmm...I wanna say lighting coil...but that is probably the same thing, right?

Mel
Wed May 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM
It doesn't have to be street legal to be trail legal, does it?

AshliRider44
Wed May 16th, 2007, 01:00 PM
It doesn't have to be street legal to be trail legal, does it?

Nope. :)

Marauder
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Converting the YZ for the trail is one thing...the guys at Vickery didn't recommend riding street with it. With gas prices what they are, I might be better off with the WR for the streets/trails than trying to make the YZ into an Enduro. Any other recommendations for a trail bike that I can get up to 65 mph on the highway?

R1chie
Thu May 17th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Converting the YZ for the trail is one thing...the guys at Vickery didn't recommend riding street with it. With gas prices what they are, I might be better off with the WR for the streets/trails than trying to make the YZ into an Enduro. Any other recommendations for a trail bike that I can get up to 65 mph on the highway?

I don't know of any trail bike that gets that sort of gas mileage that has any sort of performance. Perhaps a dual purpose bike but that is a compromise. I would ask Bueller what kind of gas milage he got on his DRZ400. Riding a 250wr would be be hard on the bike at highway speeds. I wouldn't want to ride the WR450 at highway speeds but people do commute with them or at least I have heard. Good luck with finding a new bike. Why not commute with your street bike and keep your trail/mx bike for the dirt.

Bueller
Thu May 17th, 2007, 07:08 PM
My DRZ got 45, my 525 gets 50 but the gearing is much better.

Marauder
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Still have to do work on the WR to make it street legal so I have bagged that idea. For now, gonna keep the YZ for the trails but want to see if I like it before I start changing things (like front sprockets, electric start, etc.). Here is the latest on the spark arrestor: the end cap on the pipe has "USFS Approved Spark Arrestor" stamped on it. However, I don't know what the sparky looks like or where it goes. If it's at the end of the pipe, under the cap, the previous owner may have removed it. If it's further down, not sure how to check for it without taking it apart. Would a MX rider have removed the sparky for the track?

Suki
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM
hey jeremy, does jenae (sp) ride dirt also?

Alchemist
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Gently run a blunt stick down the tailpipe. It should stop in the first few inches. Last Forrest Ranger I ran into did the exact same thing. He pulled out a fancy, chrome plated, testing rod and proceeded to check for my bikes prostrate. He said even if the stamp is on the side of the can, it doesn't mean there is a screen or diverter in there and showed me how mine didn't have any in there because the rod traveled more than a couple inches. At that point I had to stay with my bike while a buddy rode all the way back to load his bike into the truck then come and get me! Ended a pretty nice day for sure!

Still have to do work on the WR to make it street legal so I have bagged that idea. For now, gonna keep the YZ for the trails but want to see if I like it before I start changing things (like front sprockets, electric start, etc.). Here is the latest on the spark arrestor: the end cap on the pipe has "USFS Approved Spark Arrestor" stamped on it. However, I don't know what the sparky looks like or where it goes. If it's at the end of the pipe, under the cap, the previous owner may have removed it. If it's further down, not sure how to check for it without taking it apart. Would a MX rider have removed the sparky for the track?

Chris
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 02:52 AM
They sell arrester tips that bolt on to your bike's muffler.

http://www.dubachracing.com/

Marauder
Wed Jun 13th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the link, Chris. $30 later, spark arrestor insert for my pipe is on the way.

Mad props to mxprimal for the help with the packing. Looking forward to taking it apart this wekeend, putting it back together and learning something new.

Sparky gets here next week, slap on the stickers and I'm on my way...

Anyone put an electric starter on a late model YZ250F?

Marauder
Sun Jul 15th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Ok, Ashli...you called me out in another thread. I have reserves this weekend, making it difficult for me to get to the BBQ. When are you and the Hoop heading down again? Got my stickers and spark arrestor...I need to pop this "trail cherry"!

Hoopty
Tue Jul 17th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Pretty much every weekend I'm not racing... :D