PDA

View Full Version : Want to learn to service own bike

denversvs
Wed May 12th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Hi all,

I have pretty decent mechanical aptitude, but haven't ever done much of my own servicing to my bike. I'd really like to start learning. I have obtained the service manual for my bike, but the extent of "maintenance" I've done is changing the oil and changing the plugs.

Any suggestions for good books on motorcycle maintenance (not zen) :-) A "motorcycle maintenance for dummies" type of publication? I know a lot of it is just getting in there and starting to get familiar w/the bike, and taking it one project at a time.

Thanks!

DenverSVS

surfinspacegirl
Wed May 12th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Hi all,

I have pretty decent mechanical aptitude, but haven't ever done much of my own servicing to my bike. I'd really like to start learning. I have obtained the service manual for my bike, but the extent of "maintenance" I've done is changing the oil and changing the plugs.

Any suggestions for good books on motorcycle maintenance (not zen) :-) A "motorcycle maintenance for dummies" type of publication? I know a lot of it is just getting in there and starting to get familiar w/the bike, and taking it one project at a time.

Thanks!

DenverSVS

The Shop Manual for the SV and "The Motorcycle Owner's Manual" by Hugo Wilson.

I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago when I bought my first SVS. If you need help with anything, just ask :D

denversvs
Wed May 12th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Thanx surfinspacegirl... Right now, the bike needs a lot of TLC, so I'm taking it to TFOG...

Thanks for the book suggestion. I'm assuming the "shop manual" for the SV that you reference is the same as the "service manual?" I actually downloaded the service manual at http://www.sv650.org/sv_manuals.htm.

I'll look for that Hugo Wilson book too. Thanks for the recommendation. I may be PMing you in the future as I tackle some projects... particularly since you have/had? an SVS. :-) THANKS

DenverSVS

surfinspacegirl
Wed May 12th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Thanx surfinspacegirl... Right now, the bike needs a lot of TLC, so I'm taking it to TFOG...

Thanks for the book suggestion. I'm assuming the "shop manual" for the SV that you reference is the same as the "service manual?" I actually downloaded the service manual at http://www.sv650.org/sv_manuals.htm.

I'll look for that Hugo Wilson book too. Thanks for the recommendation. I may be PMing you in the future as I tackle some projects... particularly since you have/had? an SVS. :-) THANKS

DenverSVS

Yup, shop manual = service manual. You're welcome :D