PDA

View Full Version : MT RUSHMORE TRIP

Duc'nnit
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 03:03 PM
It appears that there is a lot of interest in running to Mt Rushmore this year for a weekend. :D
After doing some looking, let's start with dates....how does the weekend of July 26th fit for everyone? Yes, Hanna, we will still party for your B-day! :drink:
I myself have never been there either, so is this a one nighter (camping possible), or two? If we are doing the crash and burn in the hotel where is the recommended stop and anything specific? So let's start with the dates, and move on!! :bananna:

Chris

Harry Biker
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Way to be organized there Chris ole buddy. It can be a pain to coordinate sometimes, but I appreciate you taking this one on!

Those dates work great for me, so count me in!

surfinspacegirl
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 03:49 PM
That's my nameday :bananna: (Weird Polish custom - don't ask). Works for me. I'm in!

Dysco
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 04:03 PM
custer state park. Good twisties, awesome scenery.

gary n
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 04:31 PM
That works for me too. Leaving Friday afternoon or Saturday morning? Lusk, Wyoming (260 miles) is a decent size town with a good variety of services. After that it's wide open. Camping sounds good to me.

Duc'nnit
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Word has it that it is 390 miles to the Mt from Aurora, I dont see why we cant leave early Sat, Haul Ass , spend lunch and the afternoon/evening there and decide what we are going to do about sleeping then come home on Sunday around late morning.

THOUGHTS PLEASE???

Chris :D

surfinspacegirl
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 06:53 PM
I'd vote for leave Friday afternoon, haul ass, spend 2 nights there and ride back leisurely Sunday. Gives us time to relax, maybe go for a bit of a ride Sat.

Just my $0.02 :D

Duc'nnit
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 06:56 PM
that can work very nicely as well, as long as we are all Haulin Ass... :D I am in for two nights....but not on the ground. ;)

Chris

gary n
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 06:58 PM
I prefer a Friday afternoon departure also. I would rather have more time in the Black Hills and burn up the straight stuff Friday afternoon/evening. It's only 3+ hours to Lusk if we are going that way.

+ .02 more :D

Kip
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 09:12 PM
I'll do it.....Hanna, my birthday is 7/29...when is yours ?

Harry Biker
Wed Feb 5th, 2003, 06:49 AM
You know, I've found I have to haul my ass around everywhere I go :lol:

Friday also works form me after noon or 1pm-ish. Remember, it still is a 400 mile trip and that's 6 hours or so.

Going to Sturgis numerous times-I'd like to recommend we head towards Cabellas in Sidney Nebraska and then motor on up hwy 385 Northbound through Custer, find a place to camp and then in the early AM we go sight seeing.

As far as going fast....many years ago I was on my XX and Diedrich was on his ZX11 and we were @ almost full throttle going opposite directions on 385,(long story)- we passed each other @ over 300 mph :twisted:

However...Lusk is an ok kind of town and should we decide to motor North on 1-25 for a spell- in Chugwater WY. there is a little maltshop that is owned by the world's 1st professional female dragracer and she just so happens to make the best milkshake you'll ever taste!!

surfinspacegirl
Wed Feb 5th, 2003, 08:32 AM

Mine's 7/7. Kinda tough to get people to party; usually everyone's partied out from 4th July :roll: I'll buy you a birthday :drink: if you buy me one ;)

there is a little maltshop that is owned by the world's 1st professional female dragracer and she just so happens to make the best milkshake you'll ever taste!!

Count me IN!

Kip
Wed Feb 5th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Mine's 7/7. Kinda tough to get people to party; usually everyone's partied out from 4th July :roll: I'll buy you a birthday :drink: if you buy me one ;) looking forward to it

there is a little maltshop that is owned by the world's 1st professional female dragracer and she just so happens to make the best milkshake you'll ever taste!!

Count me IN!

Duc'nnit
Wed Feb 5th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Well if everyone is buying drinks, I'll take two just for my good looks!! :D

<yeah,right>

Chris

Duc'nnit
Wed Feb 5th, 2003, 10:13 PM
The dates are gelled for this run, Friday through that Sunday, Harry has an awesome idea for the route, the question is coming down to camping or motelling??? Did I spell that right?
I can be game for camping one night, but prefer a bar and a bed..... :D

Chris

Dysco
Wed Feb 5th, 2003, 10:26 PM
good plan, camp one night, sauce and stumble the next...

Duc'nnit
Wed Feb 5th, 2003, 10:32 PM
uhhh, I guess that is what I meant??? :o :roll: :D

Chris

Kip
Thu Feb 6th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Well if everyone is buying drinks, I'll take two just for my good looks!! :D

<yeah,right>

Chris

Are you saying, We need two drinks in us before you sart to look good :shock:

Duc'nnit
Sun Feb 9th, 2003, 10:31 AM
[Are you saying, We need two drinks in us before you sart to look good icon_eek.gif]

I it would probably take a couple of drinks & shots for that to start happening Kip! :D

After some thought I dont see the purpose of people dragging camping for one night, and some of the people I have talked too dont even have camping gear, yes I know you can rent. But it is a deciding factor for people who want to go, but not camp. For this trip I am along the lines of traveling light and would rather spend the time sightseeing, well rested and moving fast.
For the campers, a camping should be planned on another trip. Kip and I have been tossing around a run of extreme that camping would be awesome. An Albuquerque to Grand Canyon to Vegas to home run.....like I said we are just spitballing that one for now.
:idea:
Leaving Friday afternoon is a go. I am with Harry about stopping that night and getting up AM continuing on. Get to our destination, cruise and site see. I understand Mt Rushmore has an awesome night time display as well. So rooms in the vicinity should be considered. Then on the way back on Sunday leave AM come back through Wyoming and visit this malt shop and swap stories with an I-25 return.

Chris 8)

B
Tue Feb 11th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Hey Chris,

I think the Friday afternoon plan would work best. You can count me in.

Cap
Tue Feb 11th, 2003, 02:20 PM
This looks like it would be a blast, but you had to pick a weekend there is an MRA race. Have fun!

Duc'nnit
Tue Feb 11th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Good to have you onboard B!! :D

Chris

Harry Biker
Tue Feb 11th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Just to clarify now, when I mentioned stopping for the night and then seeing the dead presidents, I was suggesting stopping very close to Rushmore-such as Custer, so that still puts us doing the majority of the ride on Friday.

So it's still 2 nights lodging whether you camp or motel it.

I'm still likely going to camp so let me know what you're thinking as far as how far you will ride on Friday so I know where to reserve a camp site.
Is anyone else interested in camping also? Beware the buffalo! :P

Also, assuming you bypass Lusk and take hwy 385 North, there's a pretty nice Days Inn/Super 8 or similar in Alliance NB. They have a jacuzzi in the rooms, but it's only about 1/2 way.

gary n
Tue Feb 11th, 2003, 06:02 PM
I will camp it also - for at least one night.

I am in the process of accumulating my gear and will have it all by then. If anyone is looking for an inexpensive (relatively) and compact sleeping bag Galyans has one - the "La Fuma 1 kilo" - it weighs 2.5 pounds with the stuff sack and is no bigger than a 3# coffee can. It's good to 37 degrees and costs $79.

Feeder
Tue Feb 11th, 2003, 06:56 PM
I'll throw this out for chits and giggles :lol:

I grew up very near sidney, NE. Actually a little northwest. If a Friday afternoon depart is the plan...we probably could crash at my place. We live in the hills, so those of us wanting to camp could have a great view ( and even a shower in the morn). Plus, it would be free :D , but hey...we're not all cheap asses.

Just my two pennies

foxfire
Tue Feb 11th, 2003, 11:58 PM
Dear God that sounds like fun, I love the black hills, ya'll gotta go see crazy horse, it's almost better than Rushmore. :)
There are these hills thru custard park that are rolling and sweeping with vast fields. When I was a kid I always wanted to travel those roads on a bike... My Easy Rider fantasy. I'm envious, I really wanna go. :multi:
But I don't think I will be here, it kinda depends. :puppy: If I'm around I'm goning.
FF

Duc'nnit
Wed Feb 12th, 2003, 06:22 AM
Feeder, you just became a good friend!!! :D Please tell us more, where is your home along the route? Family and friends wouldnt mind a bunch of Hoot'n Nanny's like us showing up? :o

Chris

foxfire
Thu Feb 13th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Actually- I'm from the mountains in this state but have friends from all over, Sturgis SD, Gillette WY, Lusk WY, Deadwood SD. Can you believe that people come FROM these towns? So we would roadtrip it up there during the rallys. The west side of the state is really cool country.
Good idea for a trip.
Have fun
foxfire :P

Harry Biker
Thu Feb 13th, 2003, 07:47 AM
8) Feeder, that works for me, assuming people don't want to get into the Black Hills by Friday. If that's the case.....does that change our departure time, since I'll assume it would only take approx. 3 hours to get to your family's place?

Gary, nice find!!! I'll be checking that bag out too. Does it fit you around the shoulders?,(I think we're about the same size)

gary n
Thu Feb 13th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Harry, I haven't taken it out of the stuff sack and crawled in it yet but before I bought it they spread it out on their demo table and I got on top of it to make sure it was tall enough. It seemed to be plenty wide too. I will try it out by the weekend and let you know. I was really surprised to find a bag this light and compact for such a low price. I thought I would have to spend a couple hundred dollars for a down bag but the salesman said this compacts smaller than down.

Feeder
Thu Feb 13th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Chirs...My hometown is Gering, Ne. Just northwest of sidney on Hwy 71. It takes about 3 1/2 hours from Denver to get there. I know of a couple different backroads to take (where MPH doesn't really matter), and don't worry about the lodging (three guest bedrooms, three couches, and umpteen acres for camping sites). The rents would be delighted to have some company...even if it is rowdy motorcycle hooligans :guns:

From G-town the dead prez's are about 4 hours away (give or take) this figure is allowing for the "scenic route" in the black hills. We could get there a little quicker...or go the long way around through Rapid City.

I'm along for the ride reguardless. If peeps want to stay in Gering I'll need a head count (just so I know how much beer to get) :D
If not, I'll follow the herd.

Peace

Duc'nnit
Thu Feb 13th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Feeder, this is mighty generous of you... :) I would definately like to look at this option. It sounds to be a hell of a good time being in that setting in a home environment. I think we could do the four hour ride the next morning with some great sight seeing and find lodging for the night. I intend to have rooms reserved before leaving obviously. 8)
If the campers would like to partake in your acreage, and boarding in the home is available I am sure there is something we can do for the kindness. As of right now I am in favor of working with this plan and going from there. Again, thanks. :D

Chris

Duc'nnit
Mon Feb 24th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Hey Feeder,

As of right now, I am all for moving towards your idea of our first stop for the night. What plans do we need to make for this arrival at your residence? :) I am one of those that would rather plan than bang on peoples doors... :D
From there, lets look forward to the next night's stop.....close to the scenery would be great. ideas? Keeping in mind that we are staying in Feeder's hood the first night! :D

Chris :idea:

Harry Biker
Tue Feb 25th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Count me in @ Feeders-

Chris, that would be 7/25/03 @ Feeder's right?

Gary,
you got a nice deal on La Fuma. He who hesitates is lost! I went to Gaylans last Sunday and your bag had gone up to $80 bones! :(

gary n
Tue Feb 25th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Harry, I paid $79 for the bag. I think thats still a really good price. Maybe you were thinking of the temperature rating of 37 degrees?

Duc'nnit
Tue Feb 25th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Harry,

Yeppers, 7/25/03 at Feeder's.............provided it is a green light with him. :D

Chris

Duc'nnit
Mon Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:57 PM
Hey Harry,

I was wondering if we start this trip running through Feeder's neck of the woods, could we still do the return route from the North and check out the "Malt Shop" you mentioned? What would that put our return time to Denver around?

Chris

Harry Biker
Tue Mar 4th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Good choice!!
Actually I think the Western route leading out of
Lusk and picking up I-25 South would be almost as quick. The malt shop is in Chugwater, just North of Cheyenne. So the time back would depend on our time that we leave.

I've never raced out or to Sturgis before. However, while on a Sporster with it's massive 2.25 gallon tank that could run out of gas @ 75 miles if you were 2-up & on the gas once took me 9 hours, but I was moving pretty good. Fast enough to lose the elasticity on my face as my cheeks were flapping in the wind :lol:

TWISTED
Wed Mar 5th, 2003, 11:54 PM
I have averaged 6 hrs or less each way the last few years to/from Deadwood. Didn't stop to take pictures of tumbleweeds though. Always have to race storms through Wyoming in afternoon.

Harry Biker
Thu Mar 6th, 2003, 06:47 AM
That's a darn fine overall average speed!! 75mph (w/ stops) or so??

You know, if you could hit and maintain 83-84mph from say San Francisco to New York City you could own a world record!! :idea: ;)

TWISTED
Thu Mar 6th, 2003, 10:34 PM
It's not like there is anything to see for about 300 miles! Pay at the pump and haul ass!

Bandit12
Thu Mar 13th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Hello, newbie here...

I did just this trip last summer, left June 1st went through SD and on over to Road America in Wi for races. The roads around Sturgis were great, and at that early date there were no cages and the weather was still cool. Spearfish Canyon was excellent too. Be glad to share photo's and such, just ask. As far as camping and such... campgrounds (KOA) averaged around 12 - 15 per night. Firewood always cost me more then the campsites. Motel, hotel, averaged 50 - 65 per night. I camped until I needed a night on a bed and then got a room. Met a lot more people and drank a lot of their beer while camping. Pain to lug the gear around, but made for a memorable experience. :D

Duc'nnit
Thu Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:39 PM
This thread has been awhile drifting, I assume we are still onboard with continuing on??? :D

Chris

Harry Biker
Fri Apr 4th, 2003, 06:44 AM
I'm still rolling!! 8)

surfinspacegirl
Fri Apr 4th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Absolutely - bring on the dead Prezs! :D

Duc'nnit
Sun Apr 27th, 2003, 07:01 PM
FEEDER!! Still with us?! How are we looking for these dates on this ride? Yeah, I know, I am bringing this to the top.....
What does our roll call look like?

Chris

Feeder
Thu May 8th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry...I was MIA for a while there, but finally got things all worked out.

As to the Founding Fathers...I'm still on. I think it would be a great time. I'll have to check if the End of July looks good on the dayplanner. Something tells me I have a wedding or something to be in....Guess i should find that out.

As for staying at my place...All I need is a head count. We have plenty of room. Like I said before...just need to know how much beer to get :D

Peace

Duc'nnit
Fri May 9th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Good to see you are back with us Feeder!! Lets keep this trip running and keep the head count up as we go. 8)

Chris

sdudgeonr6
Sun May 11th, 2003, 12:35 AM
hi all. i'm the new guy here. i am going on the las vegas trip but it seems to be falling apart so i dont know how may of you i will meet in las vegas. but i would love to go on this trip. so if someone would be willing to take me under their wing and show me the ropes. i would owe them a beer. also if anyone looking to split a room at a motel count me in! thank you for the help sean
P.S. anyone going on the las vegas trip let me know so we can meet before or there!

Duc'nnit
Sun May 11th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Welcome aboard, the Vegas run is always difficult for most people...myself included. We would be more than happy to have you along. 8)

Chris

sdudgeonr6
Sun May 11th, 2003, 02:01 PM
ty chris what are the dates for this mt rushmore trip??

Hozerking
Thu May 15th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Hi guys! can the RC come? I'm lookin for some soft lugage in the next month or so... so I should be ready for a longer run than the canyons!

Plus I have a set of Pirellis to burn throught that I don't like! ...

-al

Duc'nnit
Thu May 15th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Of course anyone can come! :) Currently the weekend of the 26th of July is what we are targeting for. Leaving Friday afternoon and coming home on Sunday!! :D

Chris

gixxerjarhead
Wed May 21st, 2003, 11:57 AM
this sounds like a sweet ride im pretty damm sure i can get the time off so count me in :D

Harry Biker
Thu Jun 26th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Chris,
Any chance you want to delay this trip by 1 week?? Albeit, will be a "tad" :lol: more crowded.

Duc'nnit
Sat Jun 28th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Wow, we dug this thread up out of the graveyard! :shock: I didnt realize how may reviews it has received. Ok.......matter of fact I need to review what all was said!! :lol:
Lets see, last weekend in July.....ok Harry, why do we want to push this back a week?

Chris

Duc'nnit
Sat Jun 28th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Lets see, I havent heard from Feeder since February......R U still out there Feeder??? Your kind of important here.... :D

Chris

Duc'nnit
Sat Jun 28th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Lets see, the last time we chatted we are spending Friday the 25th on Feeder's ranch in Gehring. What about spending the second night in Rapid City? Lots of hotels, campgrounds for the campers, and bars for the boozer! :D
Then we are motoring like hell back on Sunday.

Chris

TWISTED
Sun Jun 29th, 2003, 01:35 AM
Bike week starts the following weekend.

Harry Biker
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 06:59 PM
mecca!

Duc'nnit
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Mecca?! :roll: Sturgis's version of "Book Burnings" with crotch rockets?? Enlighten us Harry..... :lol: I will have to see, for my own timely reasons. But I do want to get on with the ride. 8)

Chris

Duc'nnit
Tue Jul 1st, 2003, 09:30 PM
Ok gang, as of right now the dates for this ride need to stay as they are. Unfortunately I cant shift my schedule since I have already had it planned. These dates are: Leaving Denver 25 June in the afternoon, and returning on Sunday the 27th.
I havent heard from Feeder yet so I am going to start looking for other options on the first night out. For Saturday night, I am looking at the Holiday Inn in Rapid City. Anybody with suggestions or comments lets start chattin! :D

Chris

Kip
Mon Jul 7th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Chris, what's the head count ?

gixxerjarhead
Mon Jul 7th, 2003, 11:25 AM
i can still do it so count me in! :D

Duc'nnit
Tue Jul 8th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Good question......for all people interested in running this trip stand up and yell! :D I am going to start looking into hotel rooms soon, so we can at least get an idea of where we want to go with the number of people. Anyone wanting to camp, PM me. :)

Chris

Harry Biker
Wed Jul 9th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Chris,
I can stand up & whisper. I'm going & will camp, only I've yet to decide which weekend I'm going...your weekend or 8/1. I'll let you know soon. I can tell you though I'm leaning towards the later weekend as partying with 200K + bikers is good for my soul.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jul 9th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Harry Biker wrote:

I can tell you though I'm leaning towards the later weekend as partying with 200K + bikers is good for my soul.

More from a dyslexic point of view, but like Harry, I will camp if I go. But I do not have the overwhelming urge to hang with 200K bikers --- SORRY Harry --- the tattoo to tooth ratio is way outta whack at that event. My choice will be with Chris and his crew. My soul will be just fine without having to do the HOG thang. :D :P

gary n
Wed Jul 9th, 2003, 09:42 AM
When this trip first came up I said I was interested but I didn't think I would get the time off for Laguna. Since then the Laguna trip has come together so I am going to have to pass because I need a little time to recuperate.

Harry, I may be up for the weekend of 8/2-3 or 8/9-10. If I go I will be camping also. It just depends on how sore I am from my 4000 mile Laguna/Montana trip. I will have to wait to make a decision until closer to the departure times.

gixxerjarhead
Wed Jul 9th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Well i cant do it now as i will e moving that weekend :cry:

FZRguy
Wed Jul 9th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Hey, count me in. Definitely prefer motels to camping. Where and what time will we be departing Denver?

Erratic
Wed Jul 9th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Well i cant do it now as i will e moving that weekend :cry:
Where's the new place?

DenverDude
Thu Jul 10th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Hello everyone,
I figured I'd offer some recomendation with hotels/advice since I have been on the route you guys are planning to take to rapid city about 50+ times (my grand parents used to live east of chadron). Where feeder lives (gering) is right next to Scottsbluff. There are numerous hotels there, cant remember any good ones off the top of my head. If you take the interstates (I25-I85-kimball turnoff to scottsbluff) its a good 3-3 1/2 hrs. The road from Kimball to scottsbluff is a nice 4 lane which normally has almost no traffic. If you wanted to stay in alliance its a little detour but worth it, with the road taking you through the sandhills. Also near Alliance is Carhenge, which seems to be world renound (I actualy ran into a group from romania in the mcds across from the kmart there who came all the way from romania just to see carhenge). Alliance has that new days inn and I believe a newer holiday inn as well ( I still remember when they built those to). If you wanted to go all the way to Chadron i know theres some newer hotels there as well and a lot of people that go to sturgis will stay there as well. Chadron is probably about 5 hrs away if i remember correctly. Hope this helps, if anyone needs any other info along that stretch of route let me know, I can come close to driving it blind folded :)

Duc'nnit
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Ok, dudes and dudettes! I have been doing some rethink for the dates on this trip. June 25th is becoming increasingly difficult for more and more people, plus the weather has been extremely hot so far for the month. I am looking at pushing the dates back to around September time frame, let all of the hoopla blow through Sturgis and get a little more seasonal for "Plains" hwy riding. I definatley want to pull this off so give me some feedback.

Chris

Harry Biker
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 07:34 AM
alrighty then.....now I can "do" Sturgis & not have the guilt.

Kip
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Well, since you asked.....that is my Birthday weekend and I was looking forward to it :cry:

But, September will be nice and cool :)

Duc'nnit
Tue Jul 15th, 2003, 07:32 PM
B-day weekend???? :? Oh my Gawwwwd. I cant dissappoint our little "Angel", if you want to rock to the Prez...then lets roll! :) Seriously, get the Harley you were going to rent and lets rollllll!! :D
I still have the time, anyone else game pm me .

Chris

FZRguy
Thu Jul 17th, 2003, 01:13 PM
September sounds good given the current heat wave...

Duc'nnit
Fri Jul 18th, 2003, 06:27 AM
After talking to some peeps at Caldonia's on Wednesday, September is now what we are shooting for. I havent looked at the Calendar yet, but we are pushing it back. :)

Chris

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jul 18th, 2003, 07:15 AM
This will be a real HIGH MILEAGE MONTH :D Ride The Divide happens at the front end ---- watch the employment thing pick up and I can't do either :evil: I'll just have to negotiate riding privileges :twisted:

Dysco
Fri Jul 25th, 2003, 09:19 AM
HAHA suckers! I beat you all here. I'm chillin in Rapid City right now and yes, chocolate pie is on the menu. :P

I'll scout out some roads for ya. Being unemployed has its benefits... but a severance package would have been nice.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jul 25th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Hey 'Fool'!! :D :

Scope out the state parks and check out the little cabins. I here they are way cool and cheap to hang in for the night 8) . But tell me this .......... WHY RAPID CITY? I guess it can't be THAT backwards ----- you're yakin via I.P. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Harry Biker
Fri Jul 25th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Rapid City rocks!!
They have something occur only 1 week a year :twisted: at a little establishment that coincides during the Black Hills MC classic!! Not to be missed. :D

Fool, I can't imagine you'll be up in the Hills that long, but if you are, give a holler. I should be close by on 8/2.
Sucks about yer job.....however, it seems to me a couple of years back, I went to Vegas with a bunch of unemployed yahoos that were having what appeared to me, the time of their life being unemployed!

Dysco
Fri Jul 25th, 2003, 11:32 PM
WHY RAPID CITY? I guess it can't be THAT backwards ----- you're yakin via I.P.

Gramma has broadband! :up: I came up here to do a few chores, chill out in the AC, job search over the 'net, and enjoy Granny's good cookin'. It is HOT up here- I made the ride in 6 hours and when I pulled in at 0830 it was already 90F. I guess it's hot everywhere, though. As far as the little cabins go, they're everywhere. Camping's a cinch as long as you're not coming here during bike week. Custer state park is good riding but I haven't been too far out of Rapid yet. Apparently the Wyoming Staters have no sense of humor about the speed limits on the state highways. I made it through just fine since they were all sleeping but I've heard of people getting fined for +5MPH (of course I this was after I got here at mach1). I guess that fire season isn't going very well so you may have to be flexible on riding locations up here- something to think about.

Harry- I'll be back in CO by next thursday for a camping trip- I'm gonna have fun while I can, I'm just not going to pay for it. :D

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jul 25th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Dyscofool wrote:

It is HOT up here- I made the ride in 6 hours and when I pulled in at 0830 it was already 90F.

So Dysco ---- you left on this road-trip after the bars closed @ 2:30 AM :?

The IBA type riding you've been doing has yer clock all screwed up! :D :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad you have those x-tra lamps huh? :up:

Dysco
Sat Jul 26th, 2003, 08:24 AM
If I could get those lamps to work, I'd be set. All they do now is look cool. I had my 'lectrical genius friend come over the other day and he said the harness provided by Hella was wired outside of their own specs. My high beam is pretty nice, though, and I can see critters at 200 yards. Riding at night has its advantages: no traffic, drivers who know that they're doing, and fewer LEOs...

Dysco
Mon Jul 28th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Alright- I snagged a handful of Black Hills maps with all the attractions -and dirt roads- listed. It's pretty damn informative so I'll be passing them out at Caldonias on Wednesday to interested parties. I'll also be checking out camping spots but there are so many of them it's probably easier to just pull over at the nearest one and see what's available- esp after Bike Week.

Duc'nnit
Mon Jul 28th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Right on Dysco!! I will be seeing you at Cal's! 8)

Chris