PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Grips?

konichd
Mon May 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM
So the Kawi is recieving new Woodcraft clip-ons, thus requiring me to trash the factory grips. I really like the stock grips on the Kawi's but wanted to know what grips fellow CSCer's have taken a liking to and where I can pick some up. Thanks in advance! :)

Also, any installation techniques besides grip glue and "muscling" the new grips on? :dunno:

Dr. Joe Siphek
Mon May 14th, 2007, 01:15 PM
DK...i've used "SUPERBIKE" Grips from performance on the last 3 bikes i've had. I think they were -$10 or less. They are much softer than the stock grips.

As for installation, i just used soapy water and let dry for a day or so.

Spiderman
Mon May 14th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I've never replaced the stock grips on a streetbike. I've used, and like, Renthal grips on my race bike. Stop in at Performance cycle - they've usually got a selection to choose from. 8)

rybo
Mon May 14th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Installation:

Instead of soapy water try rubbing alcohol. It dries quicker and seems to adhere better.

Spiderman
Mon May 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM
oh yeah, I got this tip once and have used it without problems for years:
Hairspray - the grip slides on nice an easy, and the hairspray gets stickier as it dries.

konichd
Mon May 14th, 2007, 02:08 PM
So no grip glue? Just hairspray and Walla!? :dunno:

rybo
Mon May 14th, 2007, 02:13 PM
yup....hairspray is a good option too!

No glue required for any of the above mentioned methods.

Feathered upstart!
Mon May 14th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I've used Windex for years.

rybo
Mon May 14th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I've used Windex for years.
Me too....

to clean my helmet visor.

JustSomeDude
Mon May 14th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I just replaced the grips on my YZF with Harris grips. Just so you know - you can remove the stock grips without trashing them.

To remove, start by blasting the grip with a hair dryer on high for a minute or two. Get it good and warm. Then, using a medium size flathead screwdriver, work it under the end of the grip. At the same time, use an air compressor (with a simple sprayer valve at the end), and shoot air up under the grip. Working the screwdriver/air all the way around, the grip will "bubble" up, and you'll eventually be able to slide the grip right off.

Installation is opposite of removal, with the addition of some contact lens solution (as per the Harris grip's instructions). Apply some contact lens solution to the inside of the grip, and the clipon (I've heard the hairspray trick works just fine). Start working the grip on. About half-way on the grip will get very very snug. Use the flathead screwdriver/air hose at the grip end, and continue working it on. Allow 45 minutes to dry prior to use. No glue needed.

Here's a picture of my Harris grips installed over AeroStitch heat elements (click to enlarge)...

http://pixpipeline.com/st/689aa02ff4d8.jpg (http://pixpipeline.com/d/689aa02ff4d8.jpg)

If you need some help, just let me know. I live in downtown Denver, and have the tools necessary to do the job. All I ask is a 6-pack of Amstel Lights, and a snazzy discount on your 10R if I buy it next spring.

;)