PDA

View Full Version : Remembering The First Lean in a Corner

Theory123
Mon May 14th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Any good first corner stories?

I remember mine. I had finally moved up from the ninja 250 (great starter bike) and got the 91 Kawi ZX-7. How classic! I had the bike for about a month. I was out with a friend and about 10 other guys who had way more experience than me. I hung out in the back where I like to be. We were getting on to a really nice twisty road. I rememberd reading an article in a magazine prbably 10 times on tips for cornering. The main points I remember were be steady on the throttle, don't brake agressivley if at all and most important...trust the bike will grip. Im glad that last one stuck. First instinct is to hit the brake or stand the bike up. I just leaned and held on for what felt like forever! It was so so scary. Now I'm hooked ;)

Toxicgirl
Wed May 16th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Any good first corner stories?

The main points I remember were be steady on the throttle, don't brake agressivley if at all and most important...trust the bike will grip. Im glad that last one stuck. First instinct is to hit the brake or stand the bike up. I just leaned and held on for what felt like forever! It was so so scary. Now I'm hooked ;)

Glad you listened to the tips!!!! Me not so fortunate....third time riding.....first time in the mountains.....going way to fast arouand a corner.......and then..............................crasho into the ditch!:cry:

~Barn~
Wed May 16th, 2007, 12:41 PM
<---- blew a switch-back heading up to Lookout Mountain in month #1.
Thankfully I just parked it upright, over on the opposite shoulder, but if there would have been a cage coming around. :no:

Bugkiller1
Wed May 16th, 2007, 12:52 PM
My first street ride was on a Triumph Thunderbird (discontinued standard) I was 16, my dad had it as a loaner while his bike was in the shop. I pulled out on a right turn from a stop sign a gave it way too much gas and stood the bike up into the oncomming lane... with a school bus looking right at me. I avoided it but i'll never forget it!

Spiderman
Wed May 16th, 2007, 01:11 PM
<---- blew a switch-back heading up to Lookout Mountain in month #1.
Thankfully I just parked it upright, over on the opposite shoulder, but if there would have been a cage coming around. :no:
Similar thing happened to me on my very first club ride, going up Mt. Evans, except there was a cage coming down in the opposite lane. Lucky for me, they were going uber-slow, and I was able to cross their lane and get out of the way in time. :shock:

King Nothing
Wed May 16th, 2007, 01:15 PM
My first "ride" was with my brother and his friend Jeff. My first lean was at the gas station before the "ride" and I "leaned" my bike right over onto my leg. :roll: Josh ran over and picked up the bike and started shaking his head. "You only get ONE of those per bike that you own," he said. Pointing out the complete lack of damage.

Nick_Ninja
Wed May 16th, 2007, 01:42 PM
GOP Alzheimer's has set in ---- I can't recall :D

Sortarican
Wed May 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
When I learned to ride it wasn't a big deal.

Dumping your bike didn't really hurt that much.
The Earth's crust was much softer back then.:banghead:

Toxicgirl
Thu May 17th, 2007, 07:58 AM
When I learned to ride it wasn't a big deal.

Dumping your bike didn't really hurt that much.
The Earth's crust was much softer back then.:banghead:

I learned on dirt too....I think it was good because your not as scared to fall in the dirt....too bad I got stuck in the mud!:oops:

denverbusa
Thu May 17th, 2007, 08:35 AM
While not the first turn it was the fastest turn.

Had multiple bikes for many years '86VFR, '89CBR, '00VFR then came the '03 Busa. Didn't have too many friends that rode sport bikes but I knew I loved it and would spend all my free time riding by myself having fun. I never really pushed the bike or myself, I just cruised around having a great time. One day I stopped at deckers and started talking to this group of guys. I noticed one guy with rolled up rubber on his tires and thought to myself this guy is nuts. They were rolling down for pizza in Woodland Park and asked if it was OK if I tagged along. One of the guys said "sure IF you can keep up." Well game on motherf'r... I had never gone that fast aroud corners in my life. Like someone said above I just kept thinking about everything I had read / been told. When in doubt give her a little more throttle and hang on. That day hooked me in the gills and I have never stopped the search for the perfect corner and the rush I had that day. It's been the greatest thrill in my life and I will always be thankful that I met up with this group.

Did I mention it was a Buell that had the rolled up rubber from a track day. Any guesses as to who it was?