PDA

View Full Version : I spy...with my little eye...

Jobe
Tue May 15th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Caught this fella going up woodmen from...poor guy couldnt afford decent equipment after his Ducati Purchase...but I would either with that sticker price.

PhL0aTeR
Tue May 15th, 2007, 07:15 AM
:puke: thats what i think about the 1098....

ill stick to :jerkoff: to the 999.... its secksier

Brat
Tue May 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM
id still roll a tlr over a ducati, and id have enough $ for good gear.
Brat

PhL0aTeR
Tue May 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM
id still roll a tlr over a ducati, and id have enough $ for good gear.
Brat

as brand loyal as i am, i cant say the same.... the 999 is one of my top 3 most wanted.

Mel
Tue May 15th, 2007, 07:22 PM
:imwithstupid: I love my Suzukis, but that black carbon fiber 999 was just dead secksy

Buddau
Tue May 15th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I love that bike! If I have the cash I would be on one. I did not like the 999 as much. But that's me.

Brat
Tue May 15th, 2007, 09:35 PM
brand loyall... uhh you have a few suzuki's..... lol. dont get me wrong ducatis are sweet but i am obsessed with the TLR in yellow. :D
Brat

Feathered upstart!
Tue May 15th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Uhh that thing is only 15K. :roll:

^^ Jen

lightning126zp
Wed May 16th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Uhh that thing is only 15K. :roll:
Must be nice to be rich.

Brat
Wed May 16th, 2007, 06:14 AM
no shit, "only 15k" LOL if ihad 15k i could get a tlr and the impreza i want.... thats like alot of pennies! lol
Brat

Jobe
Wed May 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM
How is only 15k for a bike cheap? I mean I own a couple of expensive cars and have owned a couple even more expensive over the years, and 15,000 for a two wheeled machine that could easily be fucked up by wind/dirt/dumb bitches on the phone in a cage to me just isnt worth it...even still he is wearing a HJC helmet...obviously 15k wasnt "cheap" to him either.

All-Labout-me
Wed May 16th, 2007, 08:35 AM
My friend owns a 999 and it spends more time in the shop then under him.
To each their own. I spent my money on comfort (BMW R1150RT). It isn't sexy but it will still be running at 100k miles.
-Doug

rybo
Wed May 16th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I think the 1098 is a good looking bike, but I fear nothing will ever rival the looks of the 916/996/998 era bikes. (even though the 999 and 1098 series bikes are better technically)

I own a 2001 748 and it's been fine in the reliability department. Taking care of the routine maintenance is really the key with any bike, but it's critical with the Ducatis.

S

All-Labout-me
Wed May 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM
My friends problem stems from performance parts. He had Ducati folks put the on but it breaks parts constantly. Too many toys in the toybox. :)

rybo
Wed May 16th, 2007, 08:52 AM
My friends problem stems from performance parts. He had Ducati folks put the on but it breaks parts constantly. Too many toys in the toybox. :)

That can certainly be an issue. Some of the early SPS model Ducatis actually came with a crate for you to ship the engine to Ducati in for engine rebuilds. Some of them had CRAZY high compression, like 16:1. They had extra beefy starter motors just to get them going.....

If your friend needs a good shop have him check out Boulder Motorsports. Brian is an excellent mechanic and specializes in Ducati's. His shop is running a Formula Extreme team in the AMA this year and already has some impressive finishes.

S

dallas
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:32 AM
...even still he is wearing a HJC helmet...

Uh, wasn't there an article about some of the higher end helmets tranfering more force from impact to the riders head? I believe HJC ranked pretty high compaired to more expensive helmets and transfered less force. The article proved the more money you spend on a helmet doesn't mean the safer it is.

At least he is wearing a helmet!!!

PhL0aTeR
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:38 AM
:imwithstupid: I love my Suzukis, but that black carbon fiber 999 was just dead secksy

:drool::leghump::jerkoff:

Jobe
Wed May 16th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Uh, wasn't there an article about some of the higher end helmets tranfering more force from impact to the riders head? I believe HJC ranked pretty high compaired to more expensive helmets and transfered less force. The article proved the more money you spend on a helmet doesn't mean the safer it is.

At least he is wearing a helmet!!!

Link to back this up please :) I dont disagree with you on the price thing, I paid 180$ for my KBC (Clearance) but I wouldnt buy a HJC for that price or more, I personally feel HJC Helmets are cheap.

dallas
Wed May 16th, 2007, 10:13 AM
http://uploads.phoenixsportbikeclub....gthelidoff.pdf (http://uploads.phoenixsportbikeclub....gthelidoff.pdf)

This is a scanned copy of the whole article.

$pOiLeD_rOoKiE
Wed May 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM
it no workey...:scream1:

rybo
Wed May 16th, 2007, 10:36 AM
try this

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

dallas
Wed May 16th, 2007, 10:37 AM
:imwithstupid:

Yeah, that is the article.

PhL0aTeR
Wed May 16th, 2007, 10:43 AM
at least its a helmet... could be wearing a baseball cap turned to the back, tank top and flip flops topping the ensemble off with bermuda shorts.... and yes, i saw this YESTERDAY... when it was cold enough for cagers to be sporting jackets in their CAGE.... lol

Jacket, lid, gloves, boots and jeans are the basic gear that is taught (or was when i took it) at the MSF course... we all cant afford to wear a one peice track suit every time we ride... lol

$pOiLeD_rOoKiE
Wed May 16th, 2007, 10:46 AM
at least its a helmet... could be wearing a baseball cap turned to the back, tank top and flip flops topping the ensemble off with bermuda shorts....when it was cold enough for cagers to be sporting jackets in their CAGE.... lol

Jacket, lid, gloves, boots and jeans are the basic gear that is taught (or was when i took it) at the MSF course... we all cant afford to wear a one peice track suit every time we ride... lol

:imwithstupid:

$pOiLeD_rOoKiE
Wed May 16th, 2007, 10:50 AM
maybe they should come up with something that's on the box so that when you are shopping for a helmet all the stats are there for that particular helmet and we would be able to shop more effectively in our price ranges

~Barn~
Wed May 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Just to play devils advocate for a moment, because I've crashed in them....
Jeans last about this-long :snaps fingers: in most any moderate speed crash. Unless you just happen to fall over while you're cruising down your block, don't expect a lot of protection.

Oh, and if you're eat it on the highway, and have to slide to a stop in jeans, expect any denim contact point to be exposed skin, pretty much instantly.

Never have taken the MSF, but they should at least recommend textile pants/pant covers.

Jobe
Wed May 16th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Just to play devils advocate for a moment, because I've crashed in them....
Jeans last about this-long :snaps fingers: in most any moderate speed crash. Unless you just happen to fall over while you're cruising down your block, don't expect a lot of protection.

Oh, and if you're eat it on the highway, and have to slide to a stop in jeans, expect any denim contact point to be exposed skin, pretty much instantly.

Never have taken the MSF, but they should at least recommend textile pants/pant covers.

I dont know man, I crashed on powers at about 60mph in jeans, they held up pretty well, they were levis...not sure if the denim is thicker, but I didnt have any problems with them skidding on asphalt.

dallas
Wed May 16th, 2007, 11:07 AM
TUCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!! TUCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!

~Barn~
Wed May 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I dont know man, I crashed on powers at about 60mph in jeans, they held up pretty well, they were levis...not sure if the denim is thicker, but I didnt have any problems with them skidding on asphalt.

I'll have to dig out the jeans from the crash-cabinet, that I fell in, and see what brand they are. The butt disintegrated about 10 yards into my 100 yard slide. :lol:

That's bad ass that they held up though. Thicker may have done it!

Anybody ever crash tested those armored denims?

PhL0aTeR
Wed May 16th, 2007, 11:28 AM
to loosely quote the MSF instructor.... he said "...at least some good jeans like levis..." So yes, "just jeans" probably wont cut it.... i know i have some fashion type demin jeans, and i know they wont cut it, but ive got some wranglers that would stand up alot better.

Jobe
Wed May 16th, 2007, 11:30 AM
And that article is awesome but all you really did was prove my point, the HJC helmet had the worse impact average of 201gs compared to those other helmets.

So going back to my first post, the guy couldnt afford decent gear.

PhL0aTeR
Wed May 16th, 2007, 02:25 PM
And that article is awesome but all you really did was prove my point, the HJC helmet had the worse impact average of 201gs compared to those other helmets.

So going back to my first post, the guy couldnt afford decent gear.

lol... how do you know he couldnt afford it? maybe the HJC fit his head better? one hand he can have the best helmet money can buy..... is it comfortable? no..... the other hand, an HJC.... fits him like a glove.... i think the choice is clear.

do you know this person with the 1098 personally? did you take a peek at his bank account when he purchased the gear to know that he couldnt afford something better? perhaps you were with him and was in his thoughts when he said to himself.... "fuck that KBC is expensive.... too bad i cant afford it, ill just get this HJC, even though im aware of its inferiority, and i just spent so much on this bike, its all i can afford."

:slap:

dallas
Wed May 16th, 2007, 02:29 PM
That is some funny shit. I think I just peed a little bit.

Jobe
Wed May 16th, 2007, 02:57 PM
lol... how do you know he couldnt afford it? maybe the HJC fit his head better? one hand he can have the best helmet money can buy..... is it comfortable? no..... the other hand, an HJC.... fits him like a glove.... i think the choice is clear.

do you know this person with the 1098 personally? did you take a peek at his bank account when he purchased the gear to know that he couldnt afford something better? perhaps you were with him and was in his thoughts when he said to himself.... "fuck that KBC is expensive.... too bad i cant afford it, ill just get this HJC, even though im aware of its inferiority, and i just spent so much on this bike, its all i can afford."

:slap:

Do you? We can speculate all day, Ill stick with my opinion on the matter, just like my opinion with you and your traffic issues.

dallas
Wed May 16th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Lets not all get bitter over this. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, as long as it the same as mine!!!!!!!

Feathered upstart!
Wed May 16th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I find it cute the way cock sucking RC51 owners always bag on Duc. Just mad I guess cuz thier bike is the fat girl of the motorcycle world.

Jobe
Wed May 16th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Huh? Since when did I hate on it? I like the ducati's, a lot actually I just felt the rider could of purchased some better equipment for such a fine vehicle...

Did you even read what the thread was about?

PhL0aTeR
Wed May 16th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Huh? Since when did I hate on it? I like the ducati's, a lot actually I just felt the rider could of purchased some better equipment for such a fine vehicle...

Did you even read what the thread was about?

this is posted in the pics and videos section.... not the far fetched opinions section.... post a pic, then leave.... :spit:

Brat
Wed May 16th, 2007, 05:38 PM
:wait:calm down children. :vader: hey...wait a minute, i have a shitty helmet..... wtf...? its covers head my have, is all need i.... :D

Feathered upstart!
Wed May 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM
How is only 15k for a bike cheap? I mean I own a couple of expensive cars and have owned a couple even more expensive over the years, and 15,000 for a two wheeled machine that could easily be fucked up by wind/dirt/dumb bitches on the phone in a cage to me just isnt worth it...even still he is wearing a HJC helmet...obviously 15k wasnt "cheap" to him either.

A new R1 is close to 12. The Duc for only 3K more? For me, fuck yeah the 15K is cheap. It's what my 749s cost and I still feel like I got a great fucking deal!

I'm not rich, I just buy what is IMO the best for me. I'm not knocking other people for what they buy (well cept for Honda riders) but 15K for a bad ass 1100cc v-twin Ducati? Fuck yeah!!! Gooo Eye-tyes!

^^^Jenny ;)

Brizz
Wed May 16th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I just like how they are starting to look like the Yammie...

Canuck
Wed May 16th, 2007, 06:46 PM
It would be the other way around. The 1098 is a modern version of the 916-998 bikes that came out 14 years ago. If anyone is guilty of taking a class on Italian style and making their designs look like Ducati, its Yamaha (and most other manufactures for that matter).

Brizz
Wed May 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah right...look at the R6 Vs any new Duc..Try again Jason.

Brizz
Wed May 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Remember just because you own one done mean that they pay you to be bias.

PhL0aTeR
Wed May 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM

thats what i DONT like.... lol.... i like the 999's front

lightning126zp
Thu May 17th, 2007, 12:15 AM

From what the data says, HJC was better than scorpion...LOL

PhL0aTeR
Thu May 17th, 2007, 12:59 AM
From what the data says, HJC was better than scorpion...LOL

s'ok.... i bet the people with scorpion helmets couldnt afford something better either.....

Oh, wait!!!!

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12899

:spit:

perhaps the duc rider is holding out for an upgrade as well.

Jobe
Thu May 17th, 2007, 08:04 AM
s'ok.... i bet the people with scorpion helmets couldnt afford something better either.....

Oh, wait!!!!

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12899

:spit:

perhaps the duc rider is holding out for an upgrade as well.

Helmet came with bike, you use what you got. My KBC was on backorder...but thanks for playing!

rybo
Thu May 17th, 2007, 08:23 AM
If you read the article really carefully you'll learn that the real goal here is to WEAR a helmet. Every helmet sold in the US is better than not wearing a helmet at all.

Also, again carefully reading the article, wearing any available helmet that FITS RIGHT is way more important than buying the "best" helmet.

I'm not going to pass judgement on anyone who chooses to wear a helmet, regardless of brand or precieved "quality". Simply wearing the helmet is a good choice that gives this dude a much better chance of surviving a crash than his counterpart who chooses not to wear one.

A couple other important things to consider in the helmet game:

age- materials degrade over time, especially plastics and foams. Replacing your helmet every 5-7 years is a good plan regardless of how much (or little) you've used it.

impact- One impact with the ground and you should assume your helmet is done. The internals of the helmet cannot be inspected visually and may have been compromised, even if you were dumb and knocked it off of your tank at the gas station.

Vance
Thu May 17th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I find it cute the way cock sucking RC51 owners always bag on Duc. Just mad I guess cuz thier bike is the fat girl of the motorcycle world.

I can't believe I'm about to do this but...
I have to agree with Notto. The RC-51 is becoming the big bore Ninja 250. It hasn't changed in what? 7 years now? Oh sure - SP1 vs SP2... but seriously - its rather piggish. A bit on the ugly (despite the fact my beloved Aprilia has strikingly similar features - its still prettier than the RC) side. And boring beyond belief in the fact they're charging $12k for a basically unimproved outdated bike.

Sorry --- as much as I think Ducati's are becoming the R.U.B.'s sportbike of choice for all the typical R.U.B. wrong reasons --- they still devistate RC's from all angles. Even with a R.U.B. riding one.

(Not that being bikeless I wouldn't gladly take on a RC right now - hell - I'll take a Ninja 250 right now!!!! CB350? Something... anything...)

konichd
Thu May 17th, 2007, 10:25 AM

You have got to be kidding, its a direct knock off of the Triumph 675 if you ask me. But I have to agree with Jason that Ducati is the one being copied. :)

PhL0aTeR
Thu May 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Helmet came with bike, you use what you got. My KBC was on backorder...but thanks for playing!

maybe his KBC is on backorder and he was just using what he got.... You are quick to pass judgement just be seeing him.... prejudging someone cuz ur helmet is better than his.... or perhaps you have Duc envy and just needed to find something farfetched to poke fun at?

~Barn~
Thu May 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM
check and mate.

:lol:

Jobe
Thu May 17th, 2007, 11:11 AM
you guys are fucking retarded.

~Barn~
Thu May 17th, 2007, 11:16 AM
This board can't afford another tantrum.

Get it!? "Afford"!... Get it!!.... YOU'RE POOR KENNY!!!

Brizz
Thu May 17th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Im guessing you guys are blind..Look at old Duc's and look at a new one..THEN look at an old Yamaha and then look at a new one..NOW look at both new models..Hmm where is the copy cat..And for refrence im not paid by either..To to actually care who won this one is retarded..I stated a fact..

Jobe
Thu May 17th, 2007, 11:17 AM
No tantrums here, I just think its fucking funny and I frankly could give 2 cents less. You guys kill me.

PhL0aTeR
Thu May 17th, 2007, 02:10 PM
No tantrums here, I just think its fucking funny and I frankly could give 2 cents less. You guys kill me.

I wish my sence of humor was so bland that this type of stuff could make me laugh

check and mate.

:lol:

O wait... :spit: you're right, that WAS funny!

This board can't afford another tantrum.

Get it!? "Afford"!... Get it!!.... YOU'RE POOR KENNY!!!

haha.. .that too! i love Cartman

Slo
Thu May 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Only thing I will say is that I would never own that icon vest/jacket whatever it is, nor will I ever own those "summer" gloves either. But I will give it to him for wearing the bare essentials, better than some I have seen around town lately.

I saw a guy with a zuk, wearing a lid, jacket, gloves....with shorts, now that is stupid.

PhL0aTeR
Thu May 17th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Only thing I will say is that I would never own that icon vest/jacket whatever it is, nor will I ever own those "summer" gloves either. But I will give it to him for wearing the bare essentials, better than some I have seen around town lately.

I saw a guy with a zuk, wearing a lid, jacket, gloves....with shorts, now that is stupid.

thats nothing, couple days ago when the weather was borderline cool, cloudy, etc, i saw someone wearing a hat backwards, bermuda shorts, wife beater and flip flips.... not sandals.... thin beach flip flips... :wtf:

:dunno:

If i was in a cage i would have cellie cammed it, like the jobester did... but i was on the bike, riding behind him.... lol

salsashark
Mon May 21st, 2007, 09:43 AM
Got to take a 1098 for a quick spin on Saturday...

Imitation or not, it was fun!

Here's a pic of the owner beaming over his new toy!
http://images.photos.walmart.com/349%3C99756%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3238%3E896%3E496%3EWSNRCG %3D32325%3B73%3A45%3B%3Bnu0mrj

Keyser Soze
Mon May 21st, 2007, 09:04 PM
I'll have to dig out the jeans from the crash-cabinet, that I fell in, and see what brand they are. The butt disintegrated about 10 yards into my 100 yard slide. :lol:

That's bad ass that they held up though. Thicker may have done it!

Anybody ever crash tested those armored denims?

Flew over the bars with draggin jeans...they caught and tore the crotch completely out. When the EMT's arrived the 1st thing they asked was if I was "intact"

Bassil Duwaik
Mon May 21st, 2007, 09:23 PM
15K is cheap for a new duc esp the 1098 when compared to other ducs in similar classes.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon May 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Is the 1098 S worth the extra 5k over the 1098 for the upgrades you get?

Bassil Duwaik
Mon May 21st, 2007, 09:43 PM
Is the 1098 S worth the extra 5k over the 1098 for the upgrades you get?

In terms of the resale value I'd say yeah but outside of that I'm not so sure. I think you could pocket an extra 1000 if you get the base model and upgrade it yourself.