PDA

View Full Version : Street-riding/commuting Survival Skills

Spiderman
Wed May 16th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Thought it might be helpful to have a dedicated thread to street-riding/commuting survival skills. With the recent Newb ride, and the thread about shorter, more frequent rides being more beneficial than longer, yet less frequent rides, odds are this thread can soon be full of useful information to new and experienced riders alike.

I'm going to start by copying what I wrote in another thread, and add on some things I thought of while riding in today. Feel free to add your own tips. 8)

Dont' ride in somebody's blind spot - either be behind them, or in front of them (and only briefly beside them as you pass them). As I'm passing them, I try to see if I can read the drivers body language to make sure they're not going to come into my lane.
Look for a way out of potential situations - eg: what will I do if the guy in front of me (or in front of him) does "this"? What's my best/safest option?
Adjust your position within your lane to be in the safest possible place in relation to cars around you, this is specific to riding alone and somewhat related to the above point
Be aware of the traffic around you - check your mirrors frequently. Check your blindspots (moreso when in traffic). This also ties back to and helps with having a way out of potential situations.
Be aware of tire temperature when first starting out for the day, and/or after a long break - although street tires heat up relatively quickly, they can still be slickery when cool. Take extra care (read: go extra slow) in corners when this is the situation (and even moreso when the pavement is cold too).
Take road conditions into consideration and adjust your riding accordingly. If the road is wet, it's pretty obvious that you should slow down. If it just started raining, remember, this is when the road is at its slipperiest (before the oils that just got brought to the surface have been washed away). Similarly, a dry, yet cold road can be something to watch out for, as it usually goes hand-in-hand with cold tires.
Sunrise/Sunset - when your shadow is long and in front of you (the sun is rising/setting behind you), oncoming motorists will likely be blinded, or at least have difficulty seeing you - take extra care.
Don't take your eyes off the road for more than 2 seconds, whether you're looking at the landscape, staring at the hottie in the car you're passing, or trying to focus on the blur in your vibrating mirror to check for red & blue flashing lights. 8) Of course, this assumes that you're not tailgaiting to begin with.
Give truckers some credit - although the rigs are big, and can cause massive amounts of damage compared to a car, truckers have much more training that most cage drivers. This doesn't mean you can go ahead and pass them blindfolded, but trust that, the odds are in your favor that they're going to stay in their lane as you do.The bottom line (and you've heard it before):

Ride like you're invisible, not like you're invincible.

Devaclis
Wed May 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I really l do not sit in the same spot for very long. I will either change lanes, or speed up to pass so that I am not in the same spot in the same lane for an extended period. Helps with the "Being more visible" issue

Practice swerving, a LOT! I have found swerving to avoid a colision is MUCH better than breaking in most situations. Get used to it. Get GOOD at it.

Do not be the first through an intersection when the light turns green. I like a count to 3 before I start off. People run red lights in the DTC a LOT. I like to have a car to shield me if I can.

User hand signals as well as your turn signals. Let everyone around you know exacly what your intentions are.

I have a lot more. Just a bit too tired to think right now.

Sortarican
Wed May 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Don't tailgate:
You wont see the potholes till it's too late.
Rocks, debris, and semi retread get thrown up and can hurt you and the bike.
If they stop suddenly and there's a car tailgating you....squish.

InlineSIX24
Wed May 16th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Sort of on the same subject of tailgating. If you come to a stop behind a car at a stoplight and don't give yourself a forward escape plan as well as keeping the bike in gear, then someone coming up behind you might not see you and make a sandwich out of you.

Aracheon
Wed May 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
When I come to a stop in traffic, I ALWAYS flash my brakelight multiple times until I'm sure the car behind me plans on stopping behind me.

lightning126zp
Wed May 16th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Signal, look, then turn. Gives you a much safer lane change result.

NZ Darren
Thu May 17th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Nice thread!
I always keep an eye on my mirrors when stopped to ensure the car behind me is going to stop in time, and as stated above by Inline, position yourself to side of the car in front so you can hit the gas if you need to.

Monkey
Thu May 17th, 2007, 09:35 PM
We have a great defensive driving program at work, that if applied pretty much prevents you from being in an accident. Not sure if I'm allowed to post as its confidential material, but they have designed a safety program for newer 'teen' drivers called 'novice drivers road book. If you'd like a copy let me know, i'll see what I can do about getting some, several of my drivers have taken what we teach them and teach their kids. It's actually a damn effective program. I have actually applied alot of them to riding, and it's basically common sense.

the main points of it are

-Keep your eyes looking ahead of you. You should be looking 10-12 seconds ahead of you.

- Know what you are driving in. What is in your path. Stay back from anything that blocks your vision, maintain following distance appropriate to speed and conditions.

- DO NOT become fixated on what is in front of you, what is to the side and behind you can kill you just as fast. Scan intersections as you approach

- Have an escape route. Try to maintain space on all four sides, but you can always control how close you are to the vehicle in front of you.

- Let them know you are there. Use your horn, turn signals, and lights. Getting the attention of someone makes them more predictable.

That's just a summary, i think that is stuff that I can share. For years, teaching UPS drivers those same habits we have an awesome safety picture. We have drivers who have 25+ years of NO ACCIDENTS either their fault, or another drivers, and if you knew what we call an accident, you would think that amazing.

Dub
Fri May 18th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Look at drivers ahead of you in their side view mirrors. You will see people checking to change lanes and know when they are going to move over before they even do. Plus, eye contact with them is very noticable and makes them more aware of you, in or near their blind spots.

rybo
Fri May 18th, 2007, 07:54 AM
1. Ride your own ride

While the person in front of you may be a valuable resource and teacher, it's important to remain in your own comfort zone and assess the situation for yourself. Maintain a pace your comfortable with.

2. Practice, practice, practice

Use areas that DON'T have traffic to practice swerving and emergency braking so that when you need them on the street the skills are sharp.

3. Get your head up!

Adopt an effective "scanning" technique whereby you are taking in as much of the available information as possible. Include the mirrors in your scan. Look further ahead....getting the information early allows you the most possible time to make a good decision.

McVaaahhh
Fri May 18th, 2007, 07:58 AM
When coming to an intersection, pay very close attention to others approaching that intersection perpindicular to you, and for people making left turns in front of you. I move my fingers up to the brake and get ready to stop if somebody decides to pull out.

Look at what people are doing in their cars as you approach them. If I see a cell-phone or otherwise distracted driver I get away from them as soon as possible.

Get away from semi's and other vehicles hauling "stuff". Some of that "stuff" can fall off quite easily or a re-tread can come off a semi and take you right off the bike. 2-years ago I had a tie-down ratchet come off a flatbed right in front of me on 285. 15 lbs of steel smashed into my front wheel almost taking me down.

Keep Moving - don't stay in one spot too long. Personally I like to go just slightly faster than the rest of traffic. Keeps you out of blind-spots.

Don't go too fast. Hauling ass through traffic is a good way to get killed.

uberwench
Fri May 18th, 2007, 02:05 PM
In addition to ensuring you're not in anyone's blind spot, and moving/changing lanes frequently, wearing brightly colored gear helps get you noticed. (as do loud pipes :)) Pink chaps aren't for everyone, but I've seen many a driver do a double take in their mirror when I come into view. At least I know I'm being seen!

//slight threadjack, but curious, Monkey: you said Not sure if I'm allowed to post as its confidential material. You're with UPS? Should we add "avoid DHL and FedEx trucks" to the list of defensive riding tips?

Sortarican
Fri May 18th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Look at drivers ahead of you in their side view mirrors. You will see people checking to change lanes and know when they are going to move over before they even do. Plus, eye contact with them is very noticable and makes them more aware of you, in or near their blind spots.

Great point.
Like the truckers have plastered on the trailers:
"If you can't see me in the mirror, I can't see you."
If you make eye contact (and they don't cut you off anyway) it's a great time to pass them while your fresh in their minds.

And I may just have to get a pair of those pink chaps too.

Oldgreen
Thu May 24th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Make a pest of yourself, i.e. stay in their mirrors or where they have to see and then assume they don't. Show yourself to oncoming or cross traffic, wait until you know they see you. Cover one or both of your brakes all the time in traffic. Buy and read Smooth Riding by Reg Pridmore, he has a lot of good sport bike stuff in it, including traffic strategy.

rider955i
Fri May 25th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Maybe this has already been said, but do not follow trailers/trucks that are hauling stuff that could possibly fall out. Trucks lose stuff all the time that could easily mess a biker up.

Aracheon
Fri May 25th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Maybe this has already been said, but do not follow trailers/trucks that are hauling stuff that could possibly fall out. Trucks lose stuff all the time that could easily mess a biker up.

That happened not too long ago near my parents' house. Some older guy on a cruiser was following too closely to a semi carrying farm equipment when the truck hit a bump and jarred something loose, which in turn fell off the truck and impaled the rider... killing him instantly. I think my mom still has the article somewhere - I'll try and find it.

opie
Sat May 26th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I commute from Boulder to Aurora and try to ride at least 1-2x/week. Sometimes work situations, etc make that difficult It's about 80 miles r/t. There are certain sections of the road where visibility is limited, and I increase my following distance accordingly. Also I do the same when a SUV or other view blocking vehicle comes into the lane ahead of me. Always watching out for that sudden stop.

Frankly, riding around town seems much more dangerous than the highway.

..my $.02

pilot
Sat May 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Here's my .02: And I'm just as guilty, well, kinda sorta.

(the night before a ride) This
http://beer.thetazzone.com/images/drinkBeer9.jpg

+ This till 1:30 a.m.
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/geology/undergrad-fieldtrips/ballachulish/images/Party/drinking-games.jpg

Is like loosening your chain and draining the brakes before your GTO run at the track. (do yourself and your friends a favor, choose option A-drink or B-ride, but not both. Having said that, I think Air Italia still lets its pilots have a glass of wine?)

Nick_Ninja
Sat May 26th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/h/huntersth102861.html)

Mac020
Sun May 27th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Try to keep your head in to the ride. Don't be thinking about that piece ya got last night.

Also keep your eyes moving. Scan for debris as well as animals/kids off to the side of the road.

Try not to target focus but look where you want the bike to go. If there is something in the road look to either side of it. If you can't avoid it, hit it as straight on as possible, stand up and try to lift over it.

Oh.... And don't ever pass a cattle truck on the leaward side on a windy day!:piss:

ccdirtrider05
Mon May 28th, 2007, 11:18 PM
if your on a low traffic road practice your swerving by avoiding manholes, valvecovers, potholes, potheads(if traveling in boulder), and other "obstacles" that are in roads..

when following cages.. stay either in the left or right side of the lane so as to stay in sight of their rear view mirrors..

dont get extra paranoid when your around semi's.. they all have to take regular drug tests, they all have extra training and have alot stricter rules to adhere to.. the everyday car could have someone pissed, tired, drunk, high, stupid, illeagal behind the wheel. pay special attention to SUV's and other "soccer mom" cars.. in my personal opinion these are the most dangerous of ALL vehicles.. they have been known to give a care less about anything and having that "luxery 5 star safety, anti lock, self navigating, computer controlled, automatic tranny, safest car on the market" just gives them all that lovely feeling that the car will do it all for them. ive been run off the road, cut off, clipped and been pulled in front of, mostly by these really fancy expensive cars.

At some point or another you will have some young idiot in a cage thats covered in stickers pull along side you and rev his/her engine, or just pull beside you and then tear off.. i think about 5% of these people actually understand that a bike COULD and would win if the rider wanted too.. dont race them.. they go all over the place and do so just fine when they have a car to look for. the more "performance" type stickers on the car, the more you should avoid being next to them or near them.

as always cell phones are a huge distraction and make people stupid to the whole world, avoid these people at all costs as they will merge, stop, turn, and accelerate for no reason, with no warning, with no signals, and without looking.

ryanZR7S
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
At night I will use the head lights of cars a head of me to help spot pot holes, obsticals, and esp deer! We all know motorcycle head lights dont provide the greatest vis.

Also on the lights topic I have installed a halgon lamp under neath my main head light. Not so much as for night time vis, but during the day time I have been told it is very intense. But much less intense than driving with the high beems on and having people flashing lights back at me.

my 2 cents

lightning126zp
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
I want to share my lessons learned for today:
I was in a hurry (first mistake) to go to the store and I opted to go on a left turn lane 1 light before the street that I needed to be in. I thought that I was going to get into the left lane and see green right away...worng! I was stuck in the left turn lane and then decided to go back and go to the next light. I kept looking for traffic to clear so I can safely get into the lane and move on. After the traffic cleared, I rolled the throttle to get going fast. As I entered the intersection, I saw in my peripheral vision that the light turned red during my wait for traffic to clear. I shook my head all the way through the intersection telling myself that I could have gotten hit.

The point of this story is that you should always look around and make sure you have a clear path (green light in this case) before proceeding. As we all know, intersections are very dangerous for riders. This could have been my last ride, but I was fortunate enough that nothing happened. I'm sharing this with you guys in hopes that I can prevent someone from doing the same mistake(s) I did today.

Sully
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I was riding behind my friend on C470 near Kipling during this horrible rain/wind storm (that was only in this 2-3 miles span) and this truck in front of us had a lawn chair blow out of it almost taking my friend out !!! :rant:... why don't people tie their crap down ?? Needless to say, she was freaked the hell out !

Anyway... good info on here :up: Thanks !

Devaclis
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:55 AM
^^ You have friends?

BTW: I think a really good part of riding safely in an urban environment also has t odo with making sure your gear is working the way it should. Visor is clear and actually flips up and defogs they way it should. It really sucks having to ride with your visor half up in the snow/rain and not being able t osee 15 feet ahead of you.

lightning126zp
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM
^^ You have friends?

BTW: I think a really good part of riding safely in an urban environment also has t odo with making sure your gear is working the way it should. Visor is clear and actually flips up and defogs they way it should. It really sucks having to ride with your visor half up in the snow/rain and not being able t osee 15 feet ahead of you.
I can attest to that.