PDA

View Full Version : Another downed rider....

Slo
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:06 PM
*****EDIT*****
This is not a thread to get everyone to hate these 2 people, hopefully it'll educate others and possibly avoid something very bad in the future.
*****end of edit*****

Alright, seriously dissapointed here in a couple of newer members of this board, you both know who you are so we will keep it "nameless". I suggest you don't reply to this thread and possibly take it as a costly learning point at the expense of a girl that I know.

I have a female friend in Boulder that is new to bikes, already been down a couple of times and needs help with riding from competent experienced riders. So she has been looking for others to help her ride. She obviously found the wrong people.

Sunday, she decides to go riding from Boulder with these 2 people and they end up stopping somewhere, have a little bit (not sure how little) to drink and take off to go riding. She said she was doing 80+ and still couldn't keep up. Accident occurred which was deemed as her fault but these two guys were far enough ahead of her that they didn't know she went down and ended up coming back a little later while she was waiting for the ambulance.

All this stuff with wheelies, or stoppies out in traffic, doing 80+ down broadway has got to stop. If you want to ride spirited, choose the right time and place.....along with the right people. Don't take a newbie and endanger them trying to show off you "skills". Theres a reason why I don't ride with these people in the street any longer, but now after this, obviously I won't be associating with them either.

Injuries were not life threatening, road rash on her leg(s).

And I have people asking me why I don't ride in the street anymore?

AshliRider44
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM
Alright, seriously dissapointed here in a couple of newer members of this board, you both know who you are so we will keep it "nameless". I suggest you don't reply to this thread and possibly take it as a costly learning point at the expense of a girl that I know.

I have a female friend in Boulder that is new to bikes, already been down a couple of times and needs help with riding from competent experienced riders. So she has been looking for others to help her ride. She obviously found the wrong people.

Sunday, she decides to go riding from Boulder with these 2 people and they end up stopping somewhere, have a little bit (not sure how little) to drink and take off to go riding. She said she was doing 80+ and still couldn't keep up. Accident occurred which was deemed as her fault but these two guys were far enough ahead of her that they didn't know she went down and ended up coming back a little later while she was waiting for the ambulance.

All this stuff with wheelies, or stoppies out in traffic, doing 80+ down broadway has got to stop. If you want to ride spirited, choose the right time and place.....along with the right people. Don't take a newbie and endanger them trying to show off you "skills". Theres a reason why I don't ride with these people in the street any longer, but now after this, obviously I won't be associating with them either.

Injuries were not life threatening, road rash on her leg(s).

And I have people asking me why I don't ride in the street anymore?

:banghead: Umm or not at all?!? :down:

konichd
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Call'em out J!

There's a time and place for everything, I ride "spirited" through the canyons, big fuckin' deal. :) But when you owe it to other's in your group to not ride above thier skill level, then its a different story.

Has anyone else noticed there's been more crashes in the past 2 months than in the previous 2 years here? :dunno:

Slo
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:18 PM
You said it, we all take chances just being on the bike but when riding in a group, the leaders take on responsibilities for "setting the pace" since some newbies and even veterans will try to keep up.

But yeah, I will still keep it nameless. I am just severely disapointed in one of them, the other, I expected it, but after talking with one of them last week, I expected more from them.

konichd
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:20 PM
Call'em out J! :)

Slo
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:24 PM
Heres a little chat between me and one of the guys, I will delete his name off of it just too keep a little peace around here, check out the end where he says "I" could have made a difference?!?!?!

Nick_Ninja
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:26 PM
I feel sorry for your friend. I hope that she can find a willing experienced tutor to assist her through her cycling learning curve.

I will say this though ----- she had enough control over two issues contributing to the situation:

a) not twist the throttle to make the needle go to the 80 mark

and

b) refrain from putting any ETOH in her system (I assume she did from your account).

These two items on her rider checklist could have been instigated by her and her alone. More experienced riders should lead by example.

Slo
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:26 PM
slo1299 (2:30:12 PM):hey man, for july, your welcome to take pat and her group with whatever group you get for a ride, but I wont be joining you guys
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:09:38 PM): why not?
slo1299 (3:10:29 PM):cuz of the dumb things you all did yesterday drinking and going riding with a newbie, you all are not invited on any rides that im on in the street.
slo1299 (3:10:37 PM):that was plain stupid
slo1299 (3:10:42 PM):haulin ass, she coudnt even keep up
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:10:38 PM): i'm mad about it
slo1299 (3:12:17 PM):well have fun riding with your boulder group, i will not be joining any or you guys rides, and you all wont be joining none of my rides
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:12:38 PM): do you know what happened?
slo1299 (3:13:18 PM):i know enough to know that you all were doing your usual hauling as
slo1299 (3:13:19 PM):ass
slo1299 (3:13:27 PM):you guys couldnt even see her when she went down
slo1299 (3:13:29 PM):and drinkking?>
slo1299 (3:13:34 PM):she is a newbie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:13:19 PM): yes she is.
slo1299 (3:13:46 PM):dumb mistakes and choices, on her part too
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:14:05 PM): yes last weekend was a bad weekend.
slo1299 (3:14:57 PM):well have fun man, i had just talked to you last week about riding stupid. I will make sure none of my other friends end up in mishaps around you guys
slo1299 (3:15:12 PM):one of these days hopefully you guys will learn
slo1299 (3:15:19 PM):riding with others is different from riding alone
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:15:13 PM): Xname deletedX doesn't have much to lose
slo1299 (3:15:59 PM):well he can go lose it with his own friends now
slo1299 (3:16:04 PM):he doesnt belong on a bike
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:15:45 PM): i saw your post about the 3 r6's
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:15:55 PM): stop hating, mistakes happen
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:17:17 PM): not everyone starts off as good as you
slo1299 (3:18:53 PM):stop hating, mistakes happen?
slo1299 (3:18:56 PM):take care man
slo1299 (3:19:05 PM):its not about being good
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:18:44 PM): o i have to now
slo1299 (3:19:09 PM):i dont consider myself good
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (3:19:11 PM): and you've never gone on a ride with us anyway. always at IMI
slo1299 (3:19:48 PM):theres a reason why
slo1299 (3:20:00 PM):ive already heard about you all riding
slo1299 (3:20:05 PM):anyways, later man....

Brat
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:29 PM
So she has been looking for others to help her ride. i ride fast but with a new rider, its slowville so they get a feel for the bike, roads etc. thats a damn shame, ive told people i ride with in the turns i haul ass but do not ride beyond your capabilities, i will slow down and wait for you to catch up. hell just this sunday i was doing 35mph wating, going to deckers waiting for a new rider to catch up. i want them not to feel like they have to try to keep up, more importantly be comfortable riding.

She said she was doing 80+ and still couldn't keep up
a new rider should never feel like they "have" to keep up, imo. Sorry to hear you have a friend down, and a new rider. i hope it hasnt deterred her from continuing to ride when she gets better, from her injuries. plus i have a katana it goes slow as a matter of missing powa. :D

AshliRider44
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:30 PM
Call'em out J!

There's a time and place for everything, I ride "spirited" through the canyons, big fuckin' deal. :) But when you owe it to other's in your group to not ride above thier skill level, then its a different story.

Has anyone else noticed there's been more crashes in the past 2 months than in the previous 2 years here? :dunno:

David you really drink and ride and think its not a big fuckin' deal?

Devaclis
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:32 PM
^^ Don't think that is what he implied at all Ash

Slo

No, I know David is very concerned about others safety, I have seen it myself on past rides.

cdbouncer
um - i think he meant fast?

Anyways - as a rookie - there have been a few amazing pieces of advice people keep pounding into my head.

1) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ride your own ride. If the people you're with don't ride with you, find new people.

2) Never drink and ride. This should be common sense - it's your life and the pavement.

Bummer about your friend man, hopefully she'll get back up sooner than later!

Sully
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:33 PM
J - I am sorry to hear about your friend.. but I hope she does take some responsibility in this as well. Trying to keep up when you know that you're in WAY over your head is definitely the wrong thing to do..... we see what happens. I wish her speedy recovery and hope she learns from this... as well as the other riders who left her behind.

konichd
Some of it could be she's a "new rider" and perhaps felt if she "didn't keep up" she would get lost and stuck wherever she was. :dunno: She hardly has any experience and needs a tutor that will do the things Brat said.

AshliRider44
^^ Don't think that is what he implied at all Ash

Good! I thought you were using the term "spirited" as tipsy or drinking. :yay:

konichd
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:34 PM

No Ash, there is no place for drinking and riding, I was refering to a "spirited pace", meaning speeding. :)

So Ash and Dani please give me my balls back! :lol:

Slo
I will say this though ----- she had enough control over two issues contributing to the situation:

a) not twist the throttle to make the needle go to the 80 mark

and

b) refrain from putting any ETOH in her system (I assume she did from your account).

These two items on her rider checklist could have been instigated by her and her alone. More experienced riders should lead by example.

She is an adult so you are correct, but we all know how "sometimes" no matter what you tell a newbie, they can make bad choices. However in this case, theres no way the mini group leader should just left her behind like that, and the drinking bit, I don't even know what to say for any of the 3 people.

AshliRider44
No, I know David is very concerned about others safety, I have seen it myself on past rides.

Which is exactly the David I know. Just didnt know what you guys meant by spirited. Doing 80 and wheelies or stopping and getting drinks. :)

Devaclis
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:35 PM
I am sure he did not mean "Spirited" as in drunk. Calm down guys. Read slower. Fuck!

AshliRider44
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:36 PM
No Ash, there is no place for drinking and riding, I was refering to a "spirited pace", meaning speeding. :)

:lol: Okay :Returns Balls: :hump:

eklew
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:37 PM
Way to stand up to those guys. Do you still consider them your friends even though you don't want to ride with them?

AshliRider44
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:37 PM
I am sure he did not mean "Spirited" as in drunk. Calm down guys. Read slower. Fuck!

Nobodys excited. Jeez!!

Not that I really think speeding through the canyons and doing wheelies is that smart either :lol:

konichd
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:39 PM

konichd
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:41 PM
:lol: Okay :Returns Balls: :hump:

Got'em, thanks baby! ;)

Spirited = Riding at an elevated pace

Fuckin' ripped = drinking

Slo
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Neither were what I considered friends, just riding aquaintances, however, with one of them up until a couple weeks ago frequenting the local track, I was hoping he would break out of that mold (stupid city riding habits) and influence his buddy's better. But yeah, when you see the same people at a local ride spot each weekend, it does build into a friendship. But after hearing of how they rode through Boulder one time, I made a choice to not ride with them in the street.

But no, we will not be friends. I can't afford to have them around my true friends. At IMI, and away from IMI everyone has heard me rant on about IMO dumb riders, even them. I guess the hints were not enough.

AshliRider44
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Got'em, thanks baby! ;)

Fuckin' ripped = drinking

:spit:

(I'm joining the bandwagon)

Call em' out J!!!
:turtle:

Devaclis
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM
Call

Them

Out

J :)

Sortarican
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM
That sucks, hope she's OK and doesn't end up quiting the sport over it.

Sat. I got in trouble (ticket), partially in trying to keep up with my buds.

But that was totally my fault.
Before, during, and after the ride neither of them said or did anything
to encourage me to ride at any pace other than what I felt like riding.

Sorry she didn't get the same courtesy from her riding partners.

konichd
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:45 PM
Atta' girl!

Good for you J, there's no need to surround yourself with people like that. Your a standup guy and have always organized great rides for newer members. You have to promise to get to the Conoco one of these days and I'll get to IMI, hell maybe even with Shortcake! :lol:

Sully
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:46 PM
Well.. I hope they aren't active members on here because they may do the same thing to other n00bs on here... :no:

Slo
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:46 PM
Hopefully, even if only one person changes any bad riding habits in the street, this thread will have done it's job.

Slo
Mon May 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM
One of the guys will have read this thread, probably already done so. Hopefully he will think about what just happened, and think about how much worse it "could" have been, very easily. Multiple people "could" have died. "MAYBE" he will let his buddy know about what they were part of and how dumb it was.

But.... I heard he went back, got mad at either the car driver or the police, and he got arrested and truck impounded. I'm pretty sure they knew about the alcohol and possibly about the guy smoking some weed (weed i believe was after the accident but still dumb).

I don't want to lose any more 2 wheeled riders....let alone my friends.

TFOGGuys
Mon May 21st, 2007, 05:32 PM

Actually, there is a place for drinking and riding....it's called a "morgue" :drink::(

...or a backyard motocross track on XR50s......

Slo
Mon May 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah until these guys show that they are a positive influence on the 2-wheel'd community, I won't be associating with them.

They may not care whether I associate with them or not but I won't lose any sleep either. Just sucks since they could have been people I wanted to ride with at the track in the near future, oh well.

dirkterrell
Mon May 21st, 2007, 06:52 PM
It is certainly true that everyone should ride their own ride but I also very firmly believe that ride leaders need to be cognizant of the skill levels of those behind them and adjust their rides accordingly. Newer riders often don't know what their limits are and it is natural for many people to try to keep up. That is a recipe for someone getting seriously hurt or killed. None of us wants that.

Dirk

JustSomeDude
Mon May 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM
i go to Breckenridge for a day and things go bananas around here.

coincidentally, bananas are delicious. :yumyum:

~Barn~
Mon May 21st, 2007, 07:59 PM
Chicks cannot hold their smoke, dat's what it is.
[/Breakfast Club]

Sorry.

Mel
Mon May 21st, 2007, 08:33 PM
J: You wanna share (even privately) who might be involved? I ferquently offer to ride with newer members, and they have been known to bring friends. I have a list (in my head, I don't write the shit down) of who to avoid due to stupid habits, and don't want to be surprised....though I have a good idea on it already. An irresponsible rider is an irresponsible rider...I concur that the track is a more appropiate place, but I don't want to be caught out there with an assclown who is then going to endanger me as well.;)

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon May 21st, 2007, 09:20 PM
Got'em, thanks baby! ;)

Fuckin' ripped

David-

I thought this is what you meant by "Fuckin' ripped"

http://www.houseoffusion.com/users/images/fat_guy.jpg

UpOn1
Mon May 21st, 2007, 10:28 PM

SixnChange
Mon May 21st, 2007, 11:19 PM
_

wulf
Mon May 21st, 2007, 11:35 PM
Two sides to every story, and somewhere in between we'll never know the truth.

UpOn1
Mon May 21st, 2007, 11:56 PM

denverbusa
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 01:16 AM
Two sides to every story...

On a recent ride which got too "spirited" by one of the riders and after he was limping back home, we pulled off and I got on my soap box reminding each and every person in the group that they were each in charge of their own throttle and their own brake "no one else."

As the group was large enough to have riders of each level all were notified where the next stop was and that we would all gladly wait for everyone to catch up and that they should ride within their limits. This was a group that met up at the Conoco and not a scheduled "newb" ride.

The rest of the day went off without a hitch and all had a great day, except the one who had to buy a few new parts. Everyone got to ride the way they wanted. I took my turn riding sweeper but also got to lead for a while.

I learned to have my little speech when ever I ride with unknowns. If I know that a newer rider may be looking up to me I stay with them, but I also let them know that if the genie gets out the bottle...

Ultimately, communication it the key.

No critique as I throw no stones from my glass house. Just my .02

Zen
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 07:46 AM
When I first became a member...many moons ago, I went on a ride through Deer Creek w/ about 20 other CSC members. There was one very new rider in the group who hit the brakes in the apex of the first left hander into the canyon and then again in the next right hander leading to a buck-off "hey what day of the week is it?" crash.

Now this kid was riding near the back and Kip DelaVega and I were following him, sort of keeping an eye out but also trying to avoid him. I remember talking with him ahead of our group ride explaining the rules of single-file, hand signaling, and just some basics about riding through the canyon w/ riders at different skill levels. Although I never talked with him after the crash (partially because he was barely coherent) I never saw him again either. I guess my point here is that if someone is intent on pushing the limit they will. We can all guess as to why that is, but I agree with your earlier sentiment J that newbs look up to more skilled riders.

However, I am on the fence with this one. For those of us that have been on bikes for years and have some knowledge to share with others to help them make their riding more safe and enjoyable, we should absolutely make every effort to do so. Yet, it is the riders (newbs) choice whether to follow that advice or not. Of course, setting the example may be the best way to influence a new riders behaviors yet, I am torn as to wheter or not that is Tobin and UpOn1's responsibility.

J, your friend can make up her own mind I am sure. And if things went down the way you say they did, perhpas her better judgment should have kicked in. She should have hopped on her horse and gallup'd home.

My $ .02 are much less insightful than denverbusa's, but having been a newb once myself, I made the decisions as to who I wanted to ride with and surround myself with, and still do today. I'm not overly sold on how this unfortunate incident rides solely on the shoulders of two guys who may not have agreed to carry the weight of 'leading by example.'

dirkterrell
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 08:06 AM
On Broadway I was keeping her in my mirror the whole time, after we passed a corner and she was out of sight

Were you guys doing 80+ on Broadway????

Dirk

konichd
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 08:16 AM
When I first became a member...many moons ago, I went on a ride through Deer Creek w/ about 20 other CSC members. There was one very new rider in the group who hit the brakes in the apex of the first left hander into the canyon and then again in the next right hander leading to a buck-off "hey what day of the week is it?" crash.

Now this kid was riding near the back and Kip DelaVega and I were following him, sort of keeping an eye out but also trying to avoid him. I remember talking with him ahead of our group ride explaining the rules of single-file, hand signaling, and just some basics about riding through the canyon w/ riders at different skill levels. Although I never talked with him after the crash (partially because he was barely coherent) I never saw him again either. I guess my point here is that if someone is intent on pushing the limit they will. We can all guess as to why that is, but I agree with your earlier sentiment J that newbs look up to more skilled riders.

However, I am on the fence with this one. For those of us that have been on bikes for years and have some knowledge to share with others to help them make their riding more safe and enjoyable, we should absolutely make every effort to do so. Yet, it is the riders (newbs) choice whether to follow that advice or not. Of course, setting the example may be the best way to influence a new riders behaviors yet, I am torn as to wheter or not that is Tobin and UpOn1's responsibility.

J, your friend can make up her own mind I am sure. And if things went down the way you say they did, perhpas her better judgment should have kicked in. She should have hopped on her horse and gallup'd home.

My $ .02 are much less insightful than denverbusa's, but having been a newb once myself, I made the decisions as to who I wanted to ride with and surround myself with, and still do today. I'm not overly sold on how this unfortunate incident rides solely on the shoulders of two guys who may not have agreed to carry the weight of 'leading by example.'

You'll still ride with me though right? :)

Brizz
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 08:19 AM

I wont, you look at my ass too much.:siesta:

UpOn1
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 08:19 AM

Slo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 08:28 AM
I hate drama threads and haven't been involved in any since joining this board. But we can go all day back n forth on this one. You two just don't understand how this could have been much worse and go ahead, keep trying to justify it all on the board, trying to relieve yourself of all responsibility.

Toby, you and Mike have both demonstrated stupid riding while together or with your own buddies on past rides, and this is from other people that have ridden with you. You can sugar coat this as much as you want to try and make yourselves look better.

To the both of you.... it's not a question of balls??? That statement just shows how stupid you 2 are, believe me on that one. I was trying to let everyone know how stupid riding, and decisions dictate different outcomes without just throwing names out there, maybe you 2 would have learned something. But yeah, since your names are out in the open, yes, you both are idiots and have proven it a couple of different rides and in your pics. Tobin, I would have thought that you would have "seen the light" going to IMI and being around others (Mike) that would influence you in a different way. I figured that would carry over to Mike, but it hasn't and doesn't look like it will even after this "episode" since it wasn't you or him going down.

She learned a valuable lesson, yeah OK. But for some reason, I don't think you 2 have, your actions and words prove it. Your on this "oh well, bad choices, she's is newbie, she shouldn't have ridden beyond her means. <----Yeah, that is true along with you two should have taken it easy along with the stupid drinking part. Some people when they are new, it's harder for them to make better choices. We (as more experienced riders) all know that and while there are group rides, it's up to the more experienced riders to dictate a safe environment as far as riding, drinking and such and showing other newbies how to have fun with minimal danger.

Have fun you two. Just keep doing what you do, and hopefully you or your close friends don't end up much worse. I want to see you try and justify that one.

So Tobin, what did you get arrested and truck impounded for when you went back? Was it for just arguing with the cop or the guy in the car???

I must be Nostrodamus or something....since I knew something bad would come about from one of your guys' rides. This is why me and others avoid you guys in the street. I don't need to be around when you show your full throttle, stoppie, wheelie skills.

All-Labout-me
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
My personal opinion is that as the ride leader it is my responsibility to maintain the speed limit, warn riders behind me of hazards and be aware of the ability of the riders in my group. The joy of riding in a group is the shared experiences and camaraderie. If I want to go zippy go fast I can do it on the track or by myself. If you want a shared experience going fast in a group, try the MRA. The MRA is a great bunch of people and safe.
I have been riding for 23 years on numerous bikes. I have come to realize that I love going fast on my GSXR 1000, but that its place is really on the track. I know of too many riders who survived the crash but didn’t survive the oncoming traffic. My own personal realization is that I will continue to ride the streets on my rolling sofa cushion and have a dedicated track bike for lighting my hair on fire.
I would be happy to ride with anyone who is looking for an enjoyable ride and not a competition.

Slo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 08:38 AM
Doug, that is why I will always invite you to anything on 2 wheels that I am involved in whether it will be on or off the track.

UpOn1
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM

Slo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
One suggestion to the both of you, start being a positive influence on the 2-wheel'd community. People already recognize your bikes as something negative.

Once you do so, then you will have all my respect and I will help you guys in any way possible. Whether you 2 care or not and do something about it, that's your choice.

AshliRider44
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 09:00 AM
5-4-3-2-1 to lockdown

dirkterrell
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 09:06 AM
J, you're a drama queen, if your pussy hurts, get some vagiseal

keep my name out of your fuckin mouth

p.s. trade the busa in for a trike

Oh come on now, Mike. Is it really necessary to stoop to this level? People can disagree and see things differently but this kind of talk leads to nothing good.

Dirk

UpOn1
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 09:18 AM

Slo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 09:20 AM
I ride for myself

Yes, your right, that's very clear here.

UpOn1
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 09:30 AM

All-Labout-me
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 09:31 AM
Mike and Tob,
I don't know either of you. I don't believe we have met and admitted I'm fairly new to the board.
If I might express what I believe the intent of this conversation was about. I believe that what Jay was trying to express is that there is a measure of responsibility when you have a new rider with you. I realize that you suggested that this rider not accompany you, but she insisted. Once you agreed to take her along you accepted to ride at her limits. If you take care of a new rider as best as you can and the sport and interest will grow. I realize that you can't make decisions for a new rider but you can lesson the chance of an accident.
If it were me in your position I would have centered the new rider between you both and maintained a tight group in a single lane. Ride at the pace of the new rider and not above.
All of this may still have not been enough to prevent a misshap. It is dangerous every time we hit the streets.
Just my 2 cents on what seems to be a "heated" conversation.

konichd
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 09:33 AM
Since i've been on this board, I haven't started shit with anyone. I felt like I've been getting along with most of the ppl on here.[quote]

So when you sold your EX500 you didn't fuck anyone over on this board? :dunno: BS

UpOn1
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM

UpOn1
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Mike and Tob,
I don't know either of you. I don't believe we have met and admitted I'm fairly new to the board.
If I might express what I believe the intent of this conversation was about. I believe that what Jay was trying to express is that there is a measure of responsibility when you have a new rider with you. I realize that you suggested that this rider not accompany you, but she insisted. Once you agreed to take her along you accepted to ride at her limits. If you take care of a new rider as best as you can and the sport and interest will grow. I realize that you can't make decisions for a new rider but you can lesson the chance of an accident.
If it were me in your position I would have centered the new rider between you both and maintained a tight group in a single lane. Ride at the pace of the new rider and not above.
All of this may still have not been enough to prevent a misshap. It is dangerous every time we hit the streets.
Just my 2 cents on what seems to be a "heated" conversation.

I do agree. the thing is earlier that day, she went with the fast group in the canyons, keeping up very well.

She's been riding for longer than me. It's not that she was a newb, it's that she was drinking

Slo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 09:58 AM
No Mike, I still don't have any personal issues with you or Tobin, if I did, you both would know. I think that I have demostrated this by repeatedly inviting you and him out to IMI and looking over your bike to the best of my abilities find all sort of loose screws on very major parts. Also by hinting at my opinions of bad riders, squids, whatever you may call it out in the street around anyone and everyone that has been around me.

I don't want you guys to leave the forum, I just want you guys to learn from this, and keep growing with the community. I only try to "influence" my friends and others on here to keep them as safe as possible. This wasn't to influence people to hate you guys, but to put a little pressure on you 2 to ride smarter.

I am the one that invited you to this board among many others. Why?

-to let this community grow
-also to show others how the bike community is growing/changing in a good way.
-to let everyone surround themselves with good riders that don't do stupid things out in the street, getting "influenced".

All-Labout-me
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 10:00 AM
I think everyone can agree that this was a regrettable event.

-Drinking and driving
All I can say is drinking and driving, 2 wheels or 4 puts yourself and everyone around you at risk.

-Fallen rider
An all too frequent occurrence.

Regardless of the circumstances we ALL can do better to take care of those around us.

Sully
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 10:13 AM
So she was hit by a car ??

Slo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 10:18 AM
From what she told me, car was moving to the right....with their blinkers on, so she went to pass, and the car ended up not turning and bumping her, her bike went off and hit another car while she went sliding.

Bike is I think totalled and she has road rash on her leg or legs. Accident was deemed her fault by police. Too many poor choices (yes definitely by her too) in this, all affecting the outcome.

UpOn1
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 10:20 AM

Sully
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 10:21 AM
Well... Hate to say this.. but it doesn't really seem like the other two rider's fault to me... :dunno:

AshliRider44
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Well... Hate to say this.. but it doesn't really seem like the other two rider's fault to me... :dunno:

:imwithstupid:

Slo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Yeah I had my "discussion" with her. What I am trying to make everyone else understand is that these accidents will continue to happen, and we "will" lose others no matter what. We actually got lucky here to have dodged something far worse.

But, there are ways to minimize these situations:
-the drinking, need I say more?
-leading/sweeping, trying to keep everyone in a safe environment (in groups)
-the useless speeding (yes as much as we hate to admit it, it "pressures" others, especially newbies to try and keep up/catch up to an extent)

This is the point of the thread.

Mike and Tobin, just hoping that some day, you might see another side of it and understand why I haven't riden with you guys in the street. And what it is to ride in a group, some of the responsibilities we all carry in a group ride. Theres absolutely no reason you must be doing 80+ to get smokes and leaving a rider behind in traffic trying to get there after drinking.

But yes, as everyone has stated, the final fault was the rider, but still was avoidable if everyone just toned it down a bit, making different choices.

Apologies if you guys thought I was just trying to blame you and getting resentment towards you guys. That's not what I was trying to accomplish, again, a valuable learning point here without losing someone completely.

Zen
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 10:47 AM

I'll still ride with you Big Daddy, just a bit less "spirited." :slappers:

AshliRider44
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
Is the female rider who went down active on this board? :dunno:

Slo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Not to my knowledge. I got a buddy of hers and talking others into it, since her bike is done, I doubt she is getting back on one.

crunch
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Not knowing any of the people involved, I have to say I don't believe it was the "two other riders'" fault. That said though, it has nothing to do with who is the newb or who has been riding longer. Every rider has thier own level of abilities and when riding with people of lesser abilities, you kinda take a little responsibility, even if we are all adults. There is ABSOLUTELY no place for drinking and riding, we have enough to keep up with while sober. Leave the drinking to the Harley guys. If I'm on a ride and guys (or girls) start having drinks, I leave. That simple, because I am responsible for me.

dirkterrell
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 11:00 AM
Too many poor choices (yes definitely by her too) in this, all affecting the outcome.

and i can see how you would be pissed and defensive when one of your friends goes down.

I do take my harsh words back, but at the same time i had to retaliate

Despite Ashli's earlier prediction of a locked topic, it looks like something positive can come out of this thread. It's clear that many poor choices were made by all involved. I'm glad to see that people are making an attempt to see the points of view of the others. Blame is not what's important. What's important is that we can review and learn from mistakes and improve our chances of surviving this risky activity we all love.

Mike, you said that you ride for yourself and I know what you are saying. But we all have to remember that none of us sails through life alone. We are all inextricably intertwined with the lives of others and we have to recognize that. Riding wheelies, doing stoppies, hauling ass are all fun but we owe it to others to do these things at the appropriate time and place and as safely as we can. We are all brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends of others and we owe it to them to reduce the risks of riding as much as possible by constantly learning, practicing, and making smart decisions about how we ride.

I think we can all agree that drinking and driving a vehicle of any kind is just a bad idea. I made a decision a long time ago that my limit was zero drinks when I would be driving or riding. It's just too complex an activity to have even the slightest impairment of my limited CPU power. Yeah, I miss out on some fun on occasion but that bit of fun pales in comparison to the pain I would cause others if I got killed (or killed someone) doing something that could easily have been avoided.

I have come to know Jay by spending time with him at the track. I know that he is a thoughtful, considerate person and a methodical, careful rider (and his quick lap times at IMI show that). I don't believe that he intended to slander anyone (keeping your identities a secret shows that) but he wanted to make a point about overly risky riding. It's not about having balls or not. It's about riding smart and he (and myself among many others on this board) really just wants people to ride smart. None of us want to see our CSC sisters and brothers be the topic of a "rider killed" thread. Have fun but be smart about it. There isn't one single ride that's worth trading all your future rides for.

Dirk

Sully
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
:applause: very well said Dirk :)

Devaclis
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
^^ Yeah! Honda riders kick ass!

UpOn1
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 12:27 PM

firefghtr
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
damn, this is all around a shitty situation, i have ridden with your friend before. she does need help from competent safe people, maybe she can come back out on the track with us again after she heels

dirkterrell
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
When Tobi and i ride, were not as conservetive, which we both agree on and know both of our's limits and capabilities.

I don't want to sound like a nanny but let me just point out that the "limits" on the street often have more do to with external factors than with one's personal skills limits. Like I said before, have fun but be smart about it. Make sure you leave enough room to deal with that patch of sand or oil that suddenly appears, or the cager that indicates a turn but suddenly decides to change their mind (happened to me yesterday), or a wreck around that blind turn that suddenly presents itself, etc. Don't take this as preaching but as well-intentioned advice from someone who has seen first-hand the destruction that overly aggressive riding can lead to. I don't want to lose any of my IMI riding buddies. :)

Dirk

919pride
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
How are they responsible for her getting hit by a car? If there was a sweeper would she have gotten hit? I see your whole be a responsible rider message here but your blaming the wrong person. It's like you blaming me for her going down and I'm in NJ!:slappers: A little over dramatic.

UglyDogRacing
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
About 2 months ago I met this girl who lives in Boulder and rides an R6. She was having alot of difficulty with her riding and needed help. I had offered my help with her street riding and also to take her to the track to work on her skills. She agreed to it but then turned it down a few days later, explaining to me that her friend, Jay, told her to not listen to me or anyone else and that she should go to IMI with him. I believe she crashed at IMI that following week. I don't believe that it was a mistake for her to ride with the two riders in question here. However it is her responsibility to ride within her limits, whether alone or in a group. She, nor Jay, should not be blaming anyone for this accident. Just my 2 cents.

Slo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 06:05 PM
Actually I did tell her to come out to IMI many times, even before you met her. But seeing that you have plenty of track experience, I never told her not to listen to you, or not goto the track with you in Peublo or IMI. My last converstation with her was that she was going to Pueblo with you, I also had a buddy there in person that's a member on this board too. You were misinformed.

Even for myself, I am always brain picking for more knowledge from more experienced riders, even from less exxperienced riders. There is no way I would tell anyone not to gain more knowledge from someone who rides far better than me and has been around.

I am not that type of person, and probably almost irritating people always asking for advice.

UglyDogRacing
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 06:10 PM
As her friend, you should recommend that she does not get on a bike again until she straightens out some of her personal issues. Riding takes a huge amount of focus and concentration, which everyone here should realize. I don't believe she can currently focus on her riding and be safe.

firegixx600
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Newbies should try and choose groups of people that they know will wait on them and not exceed their riding abilities... I for one am more than happy to cruise with the newbies! Gives me the chance to enjoy the scenery a little more and I know I won't go down doing 40 in the corners! I am sorry to hear about the crash! Glad noone is seriously injured

N1KSS1KS1x
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
I agree Dirk, but as tempting as it is, i really don't ride crazy, with a larger group. The few rides we've been on, i've kept my line and distance. When Tobi and i ride, were not as conservetive, which we both agree on and know both of our's limits and capabilities.

ARE you forreal with this shit brah you and tobin and that other asshat on the honda right.
Dawg you guys had me embarressed with you guys I had 4 differant people ask me if you guys where with me and How I knew you. I made a stop in my ride to meet up with you fuck heads. You wont be gettin any invites from me forsure.
Crowdin me and that guy that wanst even with us in while passin all the jags was bullshit and then all the crazy and unsafe passin shit you guys did is all good if you wanna ride that way by yourself I dont care its your life but damn you makin all rest of us look like shit when you ridin with that many bikes. I got so many of those jags owners lookinat me efed off and flipping me off cause of you fools. AND WTF good lookin out BRAH and waitin for me right after I told I wasnt gonna lead you cause that didnt matter in the first section and you were ridin a little crazy for me and that I would come around you at the bottom to show you where the place was. We wernt even 4 turns in and I went to flip my visor down and it came undone and I had to stop and take off my gloves, my lid,fix the shit and roll. All of the slow group stopped and waited for me so I gave umm a thumbs up and there lead rider lead them off. Did you even wonder what happend to me? Seeing how over half of the way down was raining. Not one of you asked me what happend once we got down there either again good lookin out, You guys seem like you would be real good friends.
Anyways sorry for the rant. I had a bad feeling something bad was gonna happen with her being with you guys. Thats sucks for her. I learned what I needed to learn from ya. I wouldnt worry about getting any help from me and any of my people.

mtnairlover
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 07:47 AM
Everyone deserves a second chance. But, only once.

Last year I had had my Zed for only 2 months. I had put about 3800 miles on it during the summer and was really enjoying riding with small groups and large groups. One ride I took included some really fast riders and some cruisers. I was about in the middle. Actually quite literally, in the middle, cuz the fast guys were a ways ahead of me and I was at least 3 minutes ahead of the fastest cruiser. Then I had my little incident. I target fixated on a ditch and ended up in said ditch.

I was angry with myself, cuz my Zed was brand new, cuz I knew better than to target fixate and I wasn't even going fast. I could have corrected. Lots of things bugged me about that spill, including the fact that no one from the fast group even tried to come back. The first cruiser who saw me down stopped and helped to get the Zed out of the ditch. He then gave it a test ride. Worst part about the dents and dings on the Zed was a cracked pulse cover. I limped home with a guy who had his own spill in another group that day and was on his way back as well. He kept an eye on me.

I had a very hard time forgiving the ride leader...very hard. Just ask him. Funny thing, though, is that now I ride with him and we plan rides together. Yeah, funny. He spent the past several months since my spill being nice, making sure I was ok, telling me he wanted to ride with me at different places (IMI, etc.). He was patient with me, but I finally rode with him again, cuz it really wasn't his fault. I was just not very happy that he didn't send anyone back. Turned out that one of the guys in his fast group also had had a spill further up the road. Now, when I ride alone and he knows about it, he tells me to let him know when I get home.

I certainly hope this thread is a teaching experience and that the guys who had ridden stupid will come back and ride more responsibly in the future. Like I said, everyone deserves a second chance, but only once.

Nick_Ninja
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 08:45 AM
ARE you forreal with this shit brah you and tobin and that other asshat on the honda right.
Dawg you guys had me embarressed with you guys I had 4 differant people ask me if you guys where with me and How I knew you. I made a stop in my ride to meet up with you fuck heads. You wont be gettin any invites from me forsure.
Crowdin me and that guy that wanst even with us in while passin all the jags was bullshit and then all the crazy and unsafe passin shit you guys did is all good if you wanna ride that way by yourself I dont care its your life but damn you makin all rest of us look like shit when you ridin with that many bikes. I got so many of those jags owners lookinat me efed off and flipping me off cause of you fools. AND WTF good lookin out BRAH and waitin for me right after I told I wasnt gonna lead you cause that didnt matter in the first section and you were ridin a little crazy for me and that I would come around you at the bottom to show you where the place was. We wernt even 4 turns in and I went to flip my visor down and it came undone and I had to stop and take off my gloves, my lid,fix the shit and roll. All of the slow group stopped and waited for me so I gave umm a thumbs up and there lead rider lead them off. Did you even wonder what happend to me? Seeing how over half of the way down was raining. Not one of you asked me what happend once we got down there either again good lookin out, You guys seem like you would be real good friends.
Anyways sorry for the rant. I had a bad feeling something bad was gonna happen with her being with you guys. Thats sucks for her. I learned what I needed to learn from ya. I wouldnt worry about getting any help from me and any of my people.

I've been reading this thread and after digesting this documentation I have to draw the line in the sand and say I will NOT ride with these :squid:'s.

What a crew of inconsiderate ass-hats :down:

albinohickey
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 10:47 AM
Wow that is a shame. I was also with N1KSS1KS1x on this ride and led a group with the female in question. (no names) She was very nice and I'm sad to hear her 6 is done. (is it?)

Flapper
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 04:23 PM
when you are from wyoming like konichd is, spirited is like watch cows.... welllll you know....

Money55
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 05:16 PM
Well i just got done reading this thread and what can i say. Im new to this site so i dont really know anyone on here, but i have been riding for a year or so, so i am still kinda a newb. As alot of the people have said it sucks and i hope she has a speedy recovery, glade it wasnt worse. As a rider ive got to say that u and only u know what u can handle no one has control over u so make better choices. I personaly have decided to never drink while im out riden i think its a no brainer but hey thats just me. So i say make your choices carefully and have fun and hopefully we wont have to hear about any more accidents like this one.

DeeStylez
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 06:46 PM
I personaly have decided to never drink while im out riden i think its a no brainer but hey thats just me. So i say make your choices carefully and have fun and hopefully we wont have to hear about any more accidents like this one.[/quote]

:up:

JustSomeDude
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
I drink when I'm ridin' dirty... is that ok?

:drink:

Theory123
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 09:19 PM
I want to take space on this thread to thank JustSomeDUde for slowing down on the ride last weekend to make sure I was still upright. I was going at my own pace on a road that I havent been on (up by squaw pass). Road was pretty bumpy and I'm still a little nervous with the new bike. Thanks for the comradery!

Now lets all cross our fingers that the weather clears up by this weekend!

lightning126zp
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
I want to take space on this thread to thank JustSomeDUde for slowing down on the ride last weekend to make sure I was still upright. I was going at my own pace on a road that I havent been on (up by squaw pass). Road was pretty bumpy and I'm still a little nervous with the new bike. Thanks for the comradery!

Now lets all cross our fingers that the weather clears up by this weekend!
Now, that's some leadership traits right there! :up:

UpOn1
Thu May 24th, 2007, 01:29 AM

JustSomeDude
Thu May 24th, 2007, 08:02 AM

No prob! I remember my first few times down that road - scared the poop out of me. I had leaders who waited up to make sure I was OK... so I do the same when I see some one disappear from my rear-view mirrors - especially if I know it's their first time on a road.

I'm glad you were also able to ride your own ride - and didn't worry about trying to keep up. That's what we all should strive to do when we hop on 2 wheels. I probably shouldn't have gotten worried so soon!

:)

Slo
Thu May 24th, 2007, 08:30 AM
I have already spoken with Mike and Tobin through AIM and PM's.... seems as though everyone including myself has learned something from this. So it's time to move on and just keep getting better as a community.

The CSC is like an extended family, things don't always go so smoothly but here it is much more tight knit than any car forum I have been on.

We both have said things a bit out of anger, and I admit since I recently lost another friend due to bad decisions, it may not have been the best of times to post the thread.

Not that I'm of any help but if either of you called me for anything, I would still do my best to help out.

konichd
Thu May 24th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Everyone makes mistakes, its what you learn from those mistakes thats important.

Now get on that bike! :)

Nick_Ninja
Thu May 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM
There have been quite a few people that have influenced me in a very positive way on this forum, which i greatly appreciate. All the rest that I quoted, who are ignored, fuck you, I roll with the best.

"not a thread to get everyone to hate these 2 people"

...":banghead: Umm or not at all?!? :down:"

"Call'em out J! :)"

"Neither were what I considered friends" "But no, we will not be friends."

"I won't be associating with them"

"People already recognize your bikes as something negative."

"ARE you forreal with this shit brah you and tobin and that other asshat on the honda right. "

"you fuck heads. You wont be gettin any invites from me forsure."

"I wouldnt worry about getting any help from me and any of my people."

"I will NOT ride with these :squid:'s. What a crew of inconsiderate ass-hats :down:"

Just consider, all the negative energy you put out will come back around.

I'm done apologizing,

I love how we bond together in this club to discriminate against riders with different predilection to riding, it really does make the bike community grow stronger, with people that are faker than a blue eyed cracker nailed to a crucifix, I just had to get that shit off my chest like breast reduction

and N1KSS1KS1x, nick, I'm not even quoting your shit, it's like you've got down syndrome at your fingertips.... I'm not your BRAH... bro. Trust this, you can't offend me

May I suggest deportation?

Flapper
Thu May 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM
is this E-BONICS? EUBONICS? Eukanuba? Teletubbies?? I am guessing dude is the Purple one..... :crazy:

Sortarican
Thu May 24th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Interesting thread to say the least.
Actually a nice mix of personal opinions, ranting, and less emotionally charged but benifitial points on riding styles.

Thumbs up to those that have helped reel in the emotions when they started running a little in the redline.

I've ridden with Jay once, and all his self defacing comments to the contrary, he his quick.
Quick, but very safe.

On the one ride I went on with him we delt with rain, snow, a lot of sand, and traffic.
I thought everyone did a nice job of riding together for a very mixed group of bikes and riding levels.
(Another good ride lead by Pilot, per usual.)
Had one rider go down due to sand, and the lead group was just mounting up to go back and check when he rolled in.

One issue that's come up in this thread that I've wondered about was the topic of drinking.

On the ride I mentioned I had a Bloody Mary with my lunch (mild hangover from the night before had kicked in).
I didn't consider that a danger to myself or the public, was already riding pretty slowly and planned to continue at a mild pace.
I'd never have more than maybe one beer on a group ride, and not even one if planning to ride for speed.
Maybe it's a leftover mindset from poker runs and the hardley days.

So what's the attitude CSC?:drink:
Zero tolerance?
Moderation?
Case by case, judgement call?

BTW,
Anyone I ride with please feel free to tell me if my drinking even half a 3.2 beer makes you nervous.

Riding with friends, and knowing they feel comfortable riding with me, is more enjoyable than
the coldest beer on the hotest day, or the fastest run on the nicest stretch of twisties.

Nick_Ninja
Thu May 24th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I belong to a club who's motto is SMOKE DRINK RIDE :D And you wouldn't believe who's in it. No ----- I won't tell you or any of your buddies either.:eyebrows:

JustSomeDude
Thu May 24th, 2007, 11:39 AM
hi everyone. thanks to all for your well wishes and concern. i'm sorry for everything and all the mistakes that i made. i learned quite a bit from this thread and i wish i could start over with everyone but i can't. i'm pretty resilient so i'm sure you'll see me around. take care everyone.

Thida, the good thing is you're OK! I'm relatively new to riding myself, and it is sometimes difficult for me to stick to my own ride, and not push myself to hang with the pack. It's a balance between pushing ourselves and riding within our limits - while striving to learn more from the seasoned veterans out there. There are times when I know the people I'm riding with plan to grip it and rip it, and I tell them straight up, "I might not keep up - so don't wait for me!"

Keep your chin up and get back in that saddle!!

dirkterrell
Thu May 24th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Like I said earlier, I believe this situation can end positively. I have seen a much welcomed change from the initial defensive lashing out to true attempts to recognize mistakes and deal with them. I believe the parties involved can work this out and all grow from it. A cooling off period will be good and I'd encourage bystanders to resist the temptation to add further inflammatory comments to the thread. I am impressed and encouraged by the attempts of the people involved to stay focused on the goal of becoming better and safer riders despite all of the negativity tossed back and forth in this thread. Situations like this can end with everyone pissed off and walking away. Or they can end with mistakes being recognized and addressed, with riders remaining committed to helping each other. I truly believe that was the intent of this thread to begin with and Jay has said that the recent death of a friend simultaneously motivated and clouded the thread. I can, on a very personal level, identify with that. I have talked to Mike behind the scenes, and I am impressed with the response I have gotten from him. The rest of us should just let things cool off and this will get worked out in a way that leads to growth for all of us. Ultimately, that's what's important.

Dirk

mclarke
Thu May 24th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Nobodys excited. Jeez!!

Not that I really think speeding through the canyons and doing wheelies is that smart either :lol:

you know DK can't do a wheelie....

konichd
Thu May 24th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I'm getting better, I've been practicing on this R6 this clown left me in my garage. :)

mclarke
Thu May 24th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Strange how the 600 picks its head up easier then the liter... hmmmmm

btw you need to hang out with this clown some more!

konichd
Thu May 24th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Ya, "Ebony" does not have a pizza sproket on it like someone's bike! :)

Let me know when your taking a break from Circus Circus and we can fix that bike!

flash gordon
Wed Jun 13th, 2007, 03:19 AM
She said she was doing 80+ and still couldn't keep up.Have her contact me, bro. The fastest I go on non-highways is 64 MPH. On I70 or 36 and then I might be doing 70-80. And I don't even think about stuntin'. I know I have no skills.

clustermagnet
Wed Jun 13th, 2007, 03:56 PM
My brain cant parse this stupid paragraph.

From your paragraph (after glancing at it for 5 seconds) i believe you're a tard.

lightning126zp
Wed Jun 13th, 2007, 04:15 PM
BTW,
Anyone I ride with please feel free to tell me if my drinking even half a 3.2 beer makes you nervous.

Riding with friends, and knowing they feel comfortable riding with me, is more enjoyable than
the coldest beer on the hotest day, or the fastest run on the nicest stretch of twisties.
I'm impressed! We need more people like you :up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jun 13th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Forreal BRAH, it's foshizzle I won't be riding with some-drizzle who 'cain't even speak proper English-nizzle.

My .02? The lead riders are not parents, or hall-monitors. I believe their responsibility is only to make it very clear to the noobs that they should NOT try and keep up if they feel they're over their head, and that the group WILL wait. That said, the noob still needs to ride their OWN bike. I can tell my son HOW to ride a bicycle, and help him with it, but I can't ride it for him, nor can I prevent him from ever biffing it. Lets hope everyone learns from this. The 2 guys, the unfortunate girl, and the rest of us. Hey, maybe even some of us will learn grammar!

FZRguy
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 02:59 PM
:imwithstupid:
fosur brah...and I'm glad to hear she wasn't seriously injured.

smcobb99
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I've riden a lot with new riders. I think the single most important thing is to remind---to the point where they are annoyed by the repitition---that a new rider should never, under any circumstances, try to keep up with an experienced rider. This is one of the main causes of crashes for new riders, "I didn't want them to think I was inexperienced." Tell new riders that you'll wait for them, and always drive in your comfort zone. And also, it doesn't make sense to have a new rider when you know you're riding fast----then people shoudn't bother to bring them. (all-right, have I reached 15 posts yet??!! :) ) Steve

pilot
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I thought everyone did a nice job of riding together for a very mixed group of bikes and riding levels.
(Another good ride lead by Pilot, per usual.)
Thanks Jeff, I always enjoy a good jaunt.

Forreal BRAH, it's foshizzle I won't be riding with some-drizzle who 'cain't even speak proper English-nizzle.

My .02? The lead riders are not parents, or hall-monitors. I believe their responsibility is only to make it very clear to the noobs that they should NOT try and keep up if they feel they're over their head, and that the group WILL wait. That said, the noob still needs to ride their OWN bike. I can tell my son HOW to ride a bicycle, and help him with it, but I can't ride it for him, nor can I prevent him from ever biffing it. Lets hope everyone learns from this. The 2 guys, the unfortunate girl, and the rest of us. Hey, maybe even some of us will learn grammar!For the most part here, I'm going to have to agree with Frank. Personally, I like to make a quick stop (when there are unfamiliar riders) and ask how the "pace" is. Then let the group know how the group feels. With well planned out stops (not too many, please) everyone can manage their best (safest?) pace.

We keep talking about "ride your own ride", agreed but with this thought in mind... Always, always work on technique. At the beginning of each ride I like to have a personal plan in mind. Ex: Today I'm going to work on looking through the turns.

Ride safe, have fun and for God's sake, please wear as much safety gear as you can afford.

Well, nuff said.