PDA

View Full Version : shaving seat?

nathanie1
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
hi everyone,

i recently picked up a 03 zx6rr that was raced for a season but returned to stock. as a result it has some race mods such as a stiff race suspension that makes the bike a little high. im about 5'7 and can tippy toe on both sides. this doesnt really bother me until i have to back the bike up. i heard you could lower the bike an inch or 2 by shaving the seat? has anyone done this and can give me advice about the correct way to do it and tools i would need? haha if anyone could even help me out that would be great. thanks in advance.

Sully
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 11:58 AM
I had my seat shaved years ago at some place in golden.. off I-70 and Ward road, unfortunately I don't recall the name of the place... you could check any leather upholstery shop I'm sure. Also some of the local dealers have places they can refer you to.

Good luck if you do it yourself ! :)... Or just soften up your suspension :idea: Unless of course you like it "stiff" ;)

nathanie1
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 12:18 PM
haha i softened up as much as it would go and its still pretty stiff.

AshliRider44
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
If you do have your seat shaved lemme know how it goes. I'm buying a new WR250 and its pretty tall for me :oops:

rybo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
Hey all,

This isn't that hard to do on your own. Most stock seats are put together with staples, so you can pull the staples out, take the cover off and use new foam (get it at just about any fabric store) to create a seat thickness that you want. Then pull the cover back over tight and use a staple gun or pop rivets to put it back together. Total time would be an hour or two max....

Or you can pay me to do it! :) (kidding, show up at my house and I'll help you take care of it, free of charge....provided you bring the supplies)

Sully
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
You could also bring Rybo a little EZ Mac n Cheese... with a splash of Vodka :lol:...

rybo
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
You could also bring Rybo a little EZ Mac n Cheese... with a splash Vodka :lol:...

You know it's my favorite.....but I try to save that for special occaisions. Once every 33 years or so.

s

lightning126zp
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
hi everyone,

i recently picked up a 03 zx6rr that was raced for a season but returned to stock. as a result it has some race mods such as a stiff race suspension that makes the bike a little high. im about 5'7 and can tippy toe on both sides. this doesnt really bother me until i have to back the bike up. i heard you could lower the bike an inch or 2 by shaving the seat? has anyone done this and can give me advice about the correct way to do it and tools i would need? haha if anyone could even help me out that would be great. thanks in advance.
Ever try doing a stand spin? That helps in the backing up situation...fairly easy to do on a rocket. Just a suggestion.

nathanie1
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 09:25 PM
Ever try doing a stand spin? That helps in the backing up situation...fairly easy to do on a rocket. Just a suggestion.

what is a stand spin?

lightning126zp
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 09:36 PM
I'll take a video and post it.

nathanie1
Tue May 22nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
much appreciated :)

Bassil Duwaik
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 12:11 AM
wouldn't it be better just to get a lower suspension. I mean they put that padding there for a reason but unless your going to the track I'd keep as much padding under my ass as possible.

Devaclis
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 07:22 AM
^^^ They also put the suspension there for a reason. You would think it would be safer to shave the seat than to mess with the suspension geometry. But what do I know? I just have common sense.

rybo
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 08:02 AM
^^^ They also put the suspension there for a reason. You would think it would be safer to shave the seat than to mess with the suspension geometry. But what do I know? I just have common sense.

:imwithstupid:

And I make it a policy to never agree with Dana. Suspension geometry is a delicate balance and can turn a bike from "stellar" to "piece of crap" in less than 10 seconds. If given the option I'd shave the seat WAY before I lowered the suspension.

Now, it sounds like you would greatly benefit from having the suspension tuned to your riding style and body weight in addition to changing the seat height, but that's another discussion.

s

dirkterrell
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 08:12 AM
But what do I know? I just have common sense.

Yeah! Honda riders kick ass! http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

Dirk

lightning126zp
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 04:16 PM
what is a stand spin?
Here's a link to the video http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v242/TaraM0728/SV/?action=view&current=StandSpin.flv

A few details:
Make sure you have your foot by the stand to make sure it doesn't fold. The weight of the bike should keep the stand in place.
With your right hand, grip the bike around the rear peg area.
Left hand on the handle bar.
This is what it looks like when the bike is on the peg. Once lifted, you can keep it on the stand as long as you want to.

With practice, that will help you out a lot. This will almost eliminate your need to back up.