PDA

View Full Version : 2 up in the rear, how much longer of a chain?

Sparker
Mon May 17th, 2004, 12:13 AM
I am going up 2 rear in the back. i have a 17/38 and im going to a 17/40. just wondering if anyone knows how many more links that is going to take me. logically i would think 2 links but i could be wrong. cause the TLR is a 17/39 and its a 108 link where a TLS is a 104 and that could be also a longer swingarm. any input would be appericated. even if your sprocket size is totally different and you just went up 2 in the rear let me know how much longer you had to go if you know. thank ya

oh yea. 200th post! :lol:

Dysco
Mon May 17th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Depends on how much room you have for adjustment. If you're buying a new chain, go up a link or two, otherwise you can probably use your old one.

Sparker
Mon May 17th, 2004, 12:37 AM
ive got quite a bit of room for adjustement. thank ya.

Sparker
Mon May 17th, 2004, 09:28 AM
anyone else have any ideas?

Dysco
Mon May 17th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Adjustment on your chain tesioner. :roll:

Sparker
Mon May 17th, 2004, 10:25 AM

Adjustment on your chain tesioner. :roll:

??? huh

Dysco
Mon May 17th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Sorry: Tensioner. The two dealybobs on each side of the back of your swingarm doohickey that control how much chain play you have on your motor scooter. Ideally you'd be as close as you can get to all the way in without having your chain too tight.

Do you NEED to replace your chain or do you think that changing the gearing is going to affect the length of chain you need and that's why you're thinking about replacing it?

UglyDogRacing
Mon May 17th, 2004, 02:15 PM
You can go up 2 teeth in the rear and use the stock chain length. Any more than that and you will need a longer chain.

CSUAdam
Mon May 17th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Jim's right. Now change in the length of the chain is needed.

Sparker
Mon May 17th, 2004, 02:28 PM
yea i know how to adjust my chain, i just wasnt sure what you were talking about. so i could buy a 104 link chain and be just fine?

UglyDogRacing
Mon May 17th, 2004, 02:33 PM
yea i know how to adjust my chain, i just wasnt sure what you were talking about. so i could buy a 104 link chain and be just fine?

Buy a chain a little longer and cut it down. Leave enough just in case it does come up too short. I would suggest going with 106 links first and see how that fits. You can size it up on the sprockets without riveting it.

FZRguy
Sat May 22nd, 2004, 02:38 PM
I believe the general rule is one link for every three teeth...so a stock chain will work.