PDA

View Full Version : Newb Launching ?'s

Domino
Thu May 24th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I've been working on launching on my 650r. I've searched online about the subject but I still have a couple of questions.

I've been holding the rpm's at about 5000 and then letting the clutch out. Everything I've read says to "dump the clutch" or let it out fast. It seems like when I let it out fast, the engine bogs down and doesn't shoot all that fast. Dumping the clutch at 6000 rpm's, I'll do a wheelie and have to let off the throttle to put the front down so I don't crap myself when I open the throttle wide open in first gear.

When I don't let the clutch out fast, I let the clutch out past the friction zone but don't let it out all the way and "ride the clutch" while cranking open the throttle. I'll simultaneously open the throttle wide open and completely let the clutch out at this point. Riding the clutch doesn't "shoot" me off the line though.

What rpm's do you guys launch at? Should I be holding the rpm's higher than 5000? What's your clutch technique for launching? How do you not do a wheelie when "dumping" the clutch at high rpm's? Thanks in advance.

Bueller
Thu May 24th, 2007, 09:24 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~mra999/Berthacrash.gif

Domino
Thu May 24th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Seriously...All of my wheelies are unintentional. When my front tire goes up, I can't wait to get it back down although my nuts don't enjoy the down part.

Slo
Fri May 25th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Damn, couldn't find the scatman 2 video of the race start.... :)

Might want to look up a member "ChunkyBeastRacing", he is a well seasoned drag racer.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought he was a member on here....

rider955i
Fri May 25th, 2007, 09:14 AM
You want a little wheelie it helps get the weight on the back tire. Keep practicing each bike will have a different rpm that is good, but the key is to keep it in the powerband the entire time.

Sully
Fri May 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM
ok, so who has the "mini bike butt crash" of Bertha ? .. that's my all time favorite ! :D

Canuck
Fri May 25th, 2007, 12:21 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~mra999/Berthacrash.gif

:pointlaugh: Thats a freaking classic David. Thats what we now call, 'Joshing it'.

Bueller
Fri May 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM
ok, so who has the "mini bike butt crash" of Bertha ? .. that's my all time favorite ! :D

Bertha Busts his Butt (http://home.comcast.net/~mra999/newton-busts-his-ass_remix.wmv)

Slo
Fri May 25th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the goood laugh while I'm working, I needed it!!!

jimwallace
Sat May 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM
allright for your question...first if i were you you should hit up the friday night drags at pmi and do time only's you can get a lot of runs in and a lot of practice at takeoffs but you want to get into your powerband first off and then as you take off slip your clutch so that you stay in your powerband as you come out of your clutch and if you ride it correctly you will find that your bikes front tire will come off the ground about 4 inches and that your launches are much quicker......dont dump the clutch .....that just ends up making messes......hope that helped

Domino
Sat May 26th, 2007, 11:02 AM
allright for your question...first if i were you you should hit up the friday night drags at pmi and do time only's you can get a lot of runs in and a lot of practice at takeoffs but you want to get into your powerband first off and then as you take off slip your clutch so that you stay in your powerband as you come out of your clutch and if you ride it correctly you will find that your bikes front tire will come off the ground about 4 inches and that your launches are much quicker......dont dump the clutch .....that just ends up making messes......hope that helped

Thanks...This is the best advice I've gotten yet.