PDA

View Full Version : How does one tell how bad off the front forks are?

Aracheon
Thu May 24th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that the kid who owned the F4i before me had a habit of doing stunts with it... the clutch was adjusted FAR too tight with no slack in the lever, and the new Qualifier on the rear has practically no tread in the center with angel hair still sticking out of the sissy stripe on the edges. I've noticed that when coming to a stop, the front forks compress ALOT easier than the ones on my R1 do.

Is this an indication that they're going bad, or perhaps need adjusting?

Bassil Duwaik
Fri May 25th, 2007, 01:03 AM
start with adjusting. Here are some of the specs http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_suspension_settings/index3.html

konichd
Fri May 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't worry about the clutch. I have no slack in mine, its all personal preference, not so much a stunt thing. I rather operate the clutch with my fingertips than having to pull it all the way to the handle.

Take your bike to TFOG, TK, or IRDAVE and get the suspension tweaked. Probably just need a little more preload and dampening adjusted.

Good luck! :)

Aracheon
Fri May 25th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I was under the impression that if there wasn't some slack in the clutch, it remained marginally engaged and would wear out faster. Not to mention I have relatively small hands, so having to reach that far to engage the clutch is a little annoying. It's been adjusted comfortably since then, but the forks compressing THAT easily kinda worries me. Maybe I'm just used to the R1... who knows.

I forgot about IRDAVE... *looks for contact info*

Slo
Fri May 25th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Sorry I am not the best person to get advice from as far as suspension goes but IMO if you don't see any fork oil leaking out then just have it adjusted and see how that does for you.

konichd
Fri May 25th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Dave hooked up my 636 at R2SL and it was on rails! :)

SixnChange
Thu May 31st, 2007, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't worry about the clutch. I have no slack in mine, its all personal preference, not so much a stunt thing. I rather operate the clutch with my fingertips than having to pull it all the way to the handle.

Take your bike to TFOG, TK, or IRDAVE and get the suspension tweaked. Probably just need a little more preload and dampening adjusted.

Good luck! :)

Usually stunters take the clutch way out, so they can hold the handlebar while slipping the clutch to do wheelies. ahem Not that I know anything about wheelies.

But the preload and dampening almost definitely need to be adjusted.