PDA

View Full Version : Dented Header

elbromisto
Fri May 25th, 2007, 07:57 AM
When I had my little "incident" last weekend my buddy's boxer head collided with the exhaust pipe about three inches from the end, just below where the can bolts on. There is a dent about three inches long and an inch deep.
Will this affect performance? Is is bad for the engine? Does anyone know of a good way to get the dent out or do I need to convince my fiancee that I need a full titanium system?
Thanks.

Devaclis
Fri May 25th, 2007, 08:01 AM
It will prevent exhaust cavitation and reduce you drag coefficient by just a tad but should not realy cause too many issues. Put a Honda sticker over it and it will actually IMPROVE performance!

Actually, unless there is a crack or a leak in that dent, I don't think it should be a major issue. Although an inch deep is about half the header thickness right? If you can find a muffler shop with a mandrel tool the may be able to press that out from the inside.

rybo
Fri May 25th, 2007, 08:05 AM
It really all depends on how badly you want the titanium system.

On a four stroke motocycle this dent will be pretty much a non issue aside from cosmetics. A muffler shop would probably be able to fix it, but if it were my bike I'd probably just ride it.

s

elbromisto
Fri May 25th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I just found a Devil mid-pipe system that appears to mount just below where the dent is, so I'd have to cut it off anyway. That may be the best option.

swademaster
Fri May 25th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Does anyone know of a good way to get the dent out or do I need to convince my fiancee that I need a full titanium system?
Thanks.

She is still your fiancee, not your wife yet. No need to convince her of anything. Just make sure you get all your mods done before she is your wife. Otherwise, maybe no more :boobies:, just :jerkoff: