PDA

View Full Version : How good are the new Buells?

Rafa
Tue May 18th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Hi.
I'm a european rider who just got to Colorado. I'm in search of a new bike and like the V-twins torque feeling. I like the way the new Buells look. Does anyone know how they perform?. Are they reliable?. I was thinking on the XB9R, does any of you owe one?. Are they really worthy those 3000$ difference with a good japanese 600cc four in line performance wise (hey real performance not just top speed.)??

OK. No more questions. Thanks for your inputs.

Nick_Ninja
Tue May 18th, 2004, 03:08 PM
The bottom line it's a Harley. Best 1950's technology out there if you ask me. But still a fun bike.

Anonymous
Tue May 18th, 2004, 03:09 PM
AFAIK Harley purchased Buell didn't they? so not the same tech base.

Now, it's not as advanced as some of the import brands, but they are fun bikes and if you like them, they will serve you well.

mra828
Tue May 18th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Now I'm not exactly a Buell fan, but the XB9R and XB12R? are arguably the most technologically innovative bikes in a long time, IMO.

Agreed, the motor isn't much to speak of (I believe it's a Buell design/Harley manufactured piece, but don't quote me on that), but it's got no gas tank (gas in the frame - for centralized mass), no oil tank (in the swingarm, no cooler needed), unique geometry, and those brakes... can't remember what they call them? - with the single thin disc out by the edge of the wheel.

The basic 600 sportbike has only incrementally changed in the past decade - no one but Buell has had the sack to really try something largely new. (of course they really didn't have anything to lose either).

Last bike I can think of that really took a chance was the Yamaha GTS1000 sport tourere back in the early 90s (didn't work out sales wise... too bad).

Everything I've heard/read about the new Buell's is that they are fantastic streetbikes. I've also heard their quality is much improved from those piles they were building in the mid-late 90s.

geoff

Bueller
Tue May 18th, 2004, 04:51 PM
There are 2 of us here riding the XB models (that I am aware of), "Insipid" and myself. Insipid has the 9R and I have the 12R.

My relationship with mine got off to a bumpy start with a couple mech. problems (snaped drive belt 1500mi. and a bad fuel pump). Both fixed on the 24 mo. Warranty.

As far as I am concerned, they are a little underpowered for that size of displacement so my choice would be the big motor ;)

That said, this bike is an absolute gas to ride!

You can ask some of the people I have ridden with, and I think they would say not too many bikes are gona run away from my Buell.

That front brake is called ..........kickazz, seriously I don't recall right off hand but it is a wicked good brake.

As for handleing this is a great bike to ride in the twisties. It is the best corner carver I have ever riden.
It is not the best city bike in the world due to air cooling and a rather heavy clutch. That is why I have a SV1000 for commuting.
The price tag is something you have to deal with, it is a little more but at least it is American.

Ralph~>Harley bought the majority shares of Buell, but it remains a seperate entity. Harley builds the engines specifically for Buell and they use Harleys marketing machine and that is about the extent of the relationship, some dealers don't even like having Buells. :321:

Sparker
Tue May 18th, 2004, 04:57 PM
"Friends dont let friends ride Buell"

Bueller
Tue May 18th, 2004, 05:02 PM
"Friends dont let friends ride Buell"

:321: :P

elf
Tue May 18th, 2004, 10:21 PM
That front brake is called ..........kickazz, seriously I don't recall right off hand but it is a wicked good brake.

......perimeter brakes. Also available aftermarket for most other sportbikes (but EXPENSIVE!!!) :shock: Gotta replace the front wheel with a proprietary design included in the package.