PDA

View Full Version : Open parking lots for practice?

noskills
Sat May 26th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I read Kendos post "ride like a pro" and like it. I have a buddy that needs to get his license and is having issues with his big, fat heavy cruiser around the cones. I always need more practice with slow riding and turning at steering lock.

Are there any large unused parking lots on the east side of town? I heard that there is a lot in Aurora that is large enough to practice touching a knee if that is to your liking. If you know where these lots are please post them up.

Thanks
Toby

King Nothing
Sat May 26th, 2007, 02:34 PM
there are a bunch of big parking lots in the Inverness area that are empty on the weekends.

Jose
Sat May 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM
school should be out pretty soon. they usually have big lots.

olds_cool
Sat May 26th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Tons in the DTC area.

pilot
Sat May 26th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Early Sunday mornings at most any high school is usually good. If you don't go to fast the cops don't really mind. They know you are practicing skills. Now a church on a Sunday, that's a wee bit different.

Mel
Sat May 26th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I have hit a couple in the Highlands Ranch area, like off Lucent.

noskills
Sat May 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions All.
I get the Idea, use parking lots on off hours. Unfortunately that ends up being weekends which eats into prime time activity hours. I was hoping someone would reveal a killer 10 acre lot, without any cage traffic, available 7 days a week, void of cops, with a tarmac made of nerf and a roach coach that hands out free hot dogs. It Doesn't exist?
Okay... just someplace that is useable during the week would be optimal. Until then I guess back to school I go.

Beotch - where off of Lucent? Avaya building? I'm right around that area.

Mel
Sat May 26th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I get the Idea, use parking lots on off hours. Unfortunately that ends up being weekends which eats into prime time activity hours. I was hoping someone would reveal a killer 10 acre lot, without any cage traffic, available 7 days a week, void of cops, with a tarmac made of nerf and a roach coach that hands out free hot dogs. It Doesn't exist?
Okay... just someplace that is useable during the week would be optimal. Until then I guess back to school I go.

Beotch - where off of Lucent? Avaya building? I'm right around that area.

Oh yeah? Me too. Avaya does run 24-7 I believe and they have security guards who chase you off. On the southwest side of that corner, there are two buildings which share a parking lot that I have used to teach some skillz. Since I am right around the corner as well, I would be happy to come yell and make demands of you :D

scottiegwood
Tue May 29th, 2007, 01:26 AM
i know there is a parking lot that is quite large i never see cars in it over off of havana just south of dartmouth on the west side.... i was going to use it to practice some skills

lightning126zp
Tue May 29th, 2007, 07:07 AM

We have a couple down here in the Springs. It's the place where they conduct the MSF course. It has the lines used for the course already. One is at PPCC North and the other is at Ft. Carson (B Street Gate).

Slo
Tue May 29th, 2007, 08:35 AM
There is a super target that was shut down on colfax. The parking lot is huge and thats where I would take people last year to practice. Local authorities and state patrol would stop by on their lunch breaks to watch. Even BS'ing with us once in a while. But we did go out there geared up and not doing any wheelies or stoppies or high revs. Just practicing tight turns. We would take drinks and such with us but made sure it was cleaned up by the time we left.

It's on the west side of colfax past the nissan dealership, just keep going towards the mountains and it's on the right side behind an autoparts store.

Slo
Tue May 29th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Heres a few pics of what to expect:
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9769/picture070fb0.jpg
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5464/picture093yr4.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7631/picture084dk3.jpg

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed May 30th, 2007, 03:20 PM
The Dog Track in Commerce City is huge and unused most of the time...they even have a driving school there on the weekends. But i'm not 100% sure of the hours they are open, but they seem to be open during the days and on weekends.

Devaclis
Wed May 30th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I am in Highlands Ranch too. A good parking lot that the wife and I use is on the corner of University and Dad Clark road. Right by 470. It is a Park and Ride lot and only half of it is ever used.

Kendo
Wed May 30th, 2007, 03:43 PM
There are a few warehouses empty on the weekends northeast of I-70 and Tower Road....large parking lots.... I sometimes head out there and practice a little before I go ride.....

AshliRider44
Wed May 30th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I read Kendos post "ride like a pro" and like it. I have a buddy that needs to get his license and is having issues with his big, fat heavy cruiser around the cones. I always need more practice with slow riding and turning at steering lock.

Are there any large unused parking lots on the east side of town? I heard that there is a lot in Aurora that is large enough to practice touching a knee if that is to your liking. If you know where these lots are please post them up.

Thanks
Toby

We took one of my friends to the ACC (Arapahoe Comm College) lot to practice, thats in Littleton though. Also the Avaya lots are usually empty off C470 and Lucent, on the East side of the lots.

RayCer
Thu May 31st, 2007, 05:14 PM
there is a nice parking lot off of Quebec and 470, back past the walmart on the right hand side. I have been back there several times helping a buddy of mine learn to ride as well as practicing wheelies.

rider955i
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
You could try the new parking lot on the corner of federal and 50th that regis college just built. there are gates, but you could get by on a bike. Nobody ever parks there because it is closer to just park on the street. The campus security is a joke to. There will be a few cars, but the majority of it is always empty. I do not know if you will have bacon troubles though.

cogsxr
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Look for cameras even if the parking lot is empty. I work for an IT company, and lets say they keep the video and don't put up with BS.

noskills
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Look for cameras even if the parking lot is empty. I work for an IT company, and lets say they keep the video and don't put up with BS.

I work at a data center and the security gards often call us up to show us some odd happening that they find through the cameras. Zoom now days is amazing. :hump: