PDA

View Full Version : Tech Day 6/10 (please read)

rybo
Mon May 28th, 2007, 12:13 PM
This thread is to do two things:

1. Get a head count. Please respond to the poll above. This way I'll know how much stuff to have on hand. I'll get a bunch of burgers and stuff and can easily accomodate the veggies in the group.

2. It's a call for instructors:
There is a ton of good knowledge in this club and I don't want to dominate the whole thing, so please PM me with a topic you would like to teach about if you want to be a teacher on this day. You can perform a demonstration on your own bike, coach someone through a task etc. I'll post up a list of topics and teachers once we get closer to the event.

For starters:

Basic Suspension Set-Up (IRDave)
Washing the bejeezus out of your bike (Barn)
Basic track set-up (jplracing)
Chain Maintenance (pilot)

Place: 157 W. Hawthorne Street
Milliken CO 80543

Time: June 10th, Sunday 1:00 PM

Special Notes: This is a residential neighborhood with lots of kids. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be respectful and careful as you arrive. If you have the need to rip around corners, do wheelies, or other such antics please get that need met before you head my way.

King Nothing
Mon May 28th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Washing the bejeezus out of your bike (Barn)the Jedi Master of clean bikes. 8)

Hawke
Tue May 29th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Not that I am a Jedi Master but I am good at changing the brake pads, oil and filter, coolant, and adding a power commander.

sprtbkbabe
Tue May 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM
What time you deciding to do this Scotty? I'm driving back with the Mini from Gunnison that morning; hope to make it up there in time :)

oh yeah, guess I'm the radiator flush-Masta now! :lol:

Also, let us know what to bring. Not fair for you to front the cost to feed all of us! JMO

Clovis
Wed May 30th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Where will this be?

rybo
Wed May 30th, 2007, 05:44 AM
edited first post with date/time/place info and instructors

jplracing
Wed May 30th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Special Notes: This is a residential neighborhood with lots of kids. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be respectful and careful as you arrive. If you have the need to rip around corners and do wheelies please get that need met before you head my way.

Cool so this means burn outs are acceptable!

rybo
Wed May 30th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Cool so this means burn outs are acceptable!

Damn you Joe.....first post editied.

Mel
Wed May 30th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I am planning to be there, will bring whatever you need for food, and help out with the bikes as I can. I am happy to lend a hand wherever, but tend to be like a jack of many, master of none type of deal.
With that said, I have noticed a number of peoples bikes have a TON of slack on the throttle, or improperly set brake lever positions and such which I would be happy to help people with or something.

konichd
Wed May 30th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Mel,
I seem to have some *slack* in my pants, can you take a look and *tighten* that up? :dunno:

Oh ya, I'll be there! :)

daemon
Wed May 30th, 2007, 11:39 AM
i plan on being there and i feel the same as most.
1. i want to gain as much info as i can from everyone
2. i don't want you to supply everything for me
3. i want to see mel's signature wave....LOL
4. i want to be cooperative in all aspects....I.E. if i can help. so be it.
5. i don't want anyone doing the work for me...i want to do it with people who point and grunt.

i have had family and friends who i have put off for this event.
i hope they understand.

cdbouncer
Wed May 30th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I can heckle?

Sortarican
Wed May 30th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Can I bring anything? (drink,food)

Also,
Have a manual tire change rig.
(Doesn't do Battleaxe tires, just ask Jeremy.)

If anyone has spoked wheels, I'm pretty good at benchtop tuning/trueing.
(Can bring the runout gauge, magnetic mount, etc.)

daemon
Wed May 30th, 2007, 12:05 PM
kaleb had a hell of a time with my continental's. said they were the worst tire to change....too tight.,but i like it that way!!1

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed May 30th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Scoot..i plan on making it up, don't really need much done, just looking to learn something(s). I will be on the bike so i won't be able to bring much. Looking forward to meeting alot of the ppl i haven't met before.
Travis

Shortcake
Wed May 30th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I'm sure I'll tag along with konichd.. maybe I can be learned a thing or two. Let me know if you want us to bring anything scott!

Fly boy
Wed May 30th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I'm coming to eat your food and make everyone drool over the Darkside, that is all.

Suki
Wed May 30th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Hey scott, we have to head that way to take the little monster to summer camp, i'll talk to alan and maybe we'll stop by on the way back. we'll be caging it but it'd be nice to meet you and maybe i'll learn something other than "ALAN FIX IT!!!!" :lol:

Sortarican
Wed May 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I can bring elk and deer if anyone wants to try some.
(Or we can just have Mel run one over on the way up.)

BTW,
Who the hell is the one veg-head?

Bet it's Linda (Dana's Piezey).
Someone explain this to me please.
How the hell can you be a right-wing republican vegitarian?
I mean really, how does that work?
You spend your days lobbying to outlaw phallic shaped vegi's?
Claim that purple fruit is gay and wrong in the eyes of God?
Ban stem and seed cell therapy?

Sorry Scott, threadjack completed........
We now return you to your serious thread topic.

Suki
Wed May 30th, 2007, 01:45 PM
linda will kick your ass.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed May 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
it was probably a stoner :lol: get it..HERBavore

Mel
Wed May 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I can bring elk and deer if anyone wants to try some.
(Or we can just have Mel run one over on the way up.)

HA! Someone will have to follow in a truck...I find that I have a hard time transporting them once I have hit them.

daemon
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM
with all this great talk of you scott....i'm looking forward to learning something this weekend

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Scott you have a PM.

McVaaahhh
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I plan on being there, anything I can bring?

Sully
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Can I volunteer my bike for demonstration with Barn ? :D

P.S. What can I bring Scott ?

daemon
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 12:59 PM
+1 on whatever i can (safely)bring!!!

~Barn~
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Great... I'm going to be washing motorcycles all day. :banghead:

All I know is if ya'll plan on a bathing your rig over at Scott's place, you'll want to bring a couple of things. If you don't have them, get them. A bike owner should have this stuff.

Towels to dry:
2 older towels that you don't plan on putting out for company work best. We'll dry from top-to-bottom, but swingarms, undertails, and fenders don't always get cleaned perfectly, so expect towel number two to get minimally dirty.

Chain lube:
Your chain is not only gonna get wet, but we're more than likely going to clean it with kerosene after your bike gets washed.

A sturdy rag and a plastic bag to store it in (unless you're gonna toss it):
Did I mention we're going to be cleaning your chain with kerosene? The rag is going to take a beating. If you keep it for future cleanings, the bag will keep it from destroying everything else in your backpack.

A couple bucks to throw Scott's way:
I'm sure his water bill does not pay itself.

This is all stuff that should fit in a tankbag or backpack, so there's no reason you can't bring it. I'll bring my wash bucket, some auto specific soap, and my wash mitt. If you have a special wash mitt you would like to use, bring it along, and we'll use it. Plus, having an extra one is never a bad idea.

Oh, and I'm not gonna do your wheels. If you wanna bring some cleaner to do them, feel free. Just takes too long to do details like that, and I don't want to constantly dirty the wash water from wheel grime.

rybo
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Barn,

You rock. I'll have a pressure washer, wash soap, a mitt, a bucket and a wheel brush available for you along with some of that magical K-gas.

s

McVaaahhh
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Barn,

I will be more than happy to allow you to demonstrate the proper washing technique on my scoot. :D

I also plan on trailering my bike up there so I can bring beer, my stands, extra wash items, beer, other tools, towels, coolers, and beer. :chug: Let me know Scott.

Oh and thanks in advance for putting this together. You are da man. :up:

rybo
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Barn,

I will be more than happy to allow you to demonstrate the proper washing technique on my scoot. :D

I also plan on trailering my bike up there so I can bring beer, my stands, extra wash items, beer, other tools, towels, coolers, and beer. :chug: Let me know Scott.

Oh and thanks in advance for putting this together. You are da man. :up:

Cool, why don't you bring some coolers and beer and beer then?

Burgers and buns are taken care of (thanks DK, Shortcake, Eklew and 500rGurl!)

Chips
condiments
vegie-burgers
any other grill items you might want to bring (dogs, brats, steaks)
soda
beer
paper plates
disposable cups
coolers (I have one medium sized one)
ice
special tools for your bike (spanners etc. that come in bike specific tool kits)
shop rags (I have a limited supply)
any maintenance items you need- I don't plan on supplying oil/filters/brake fluid etc
stands for your bike
chairs (maybe?) I have a few lawn type chairs but that's about it.
a full system titanium exhaust for a ducati superbike so that I can demonstrate it's proper installation and use

I'll supply:

Tools (if you respect them)
pressure washer
air compressor
garage
kitty litter (for when we spill oily stuff)
a bit of know how
propane and grill
curious neighbors

Devaclis
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Wow you are an hour and 18 minutes away if I take the higway. Since I am bringing the wife, we are taking the back roads. I am gonna leave my place on Saturday morning. See you guys on Sunday!

Suki
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 03:37 PM
no doubt! thankfully we'll be coming from estes park, sooo oh yeah, that's about the same drive time!

we'll try and stop by for some socializing, we may have to go check out one of our wedding sites so we may not be able to stay long.

Devaclis
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 03:40 PM
You are getting married? Sweet!! We should have a partay!!

Suki
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 03:55 PM
AN ENGAGEMENT PARTY!!!!!!!

yes joe, we'll be having another one, what's that make it..... ahh like the 3rd or 4th one, haha!

i wasn't kidding when i said we're going to be celebrating from the time of proposal to the day we exchange vows and death sentences. best beleeeeeeeeve dat suckas!

jplracing
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 03:57 PM
AN ENGAGEMENT PARTY!!!!!!!

yes joe, we'll be having another one, what's that make it..... ahh like the 3rd or 4th one, haha!

i wasn't kidding when i said we're going to be celebrating from the time of proposal to the day we exchange vows and death sentences. best beleeeeeeeeve dat suckas!

Not quite I think you are on the 65th or something.:banghead:

Suki
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM
well maybe out of the 10,000 we'll be having from now until next May, you will actually show up to one. with your beautiful smiling face and adorning smile, you will welcome me into your little pow wow of man friends, or else the skinny beanpole will be forever cast away into the basement with other ball-less men.

jplracing
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 04:50 PM
umm I was at the first one :shocked:

Mel
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Scott: I will be bringing along several newer riders and/or technical n00bs who are not other wise on the board. We will be sure to bring sides or condiments along with, and I am still happy to help out where I can, though I am planning to ride and thus not bringing my stands, etc. IF someone is in the Highlands Ranch area and can pick up and bring my stands home that day (as I will be needing them monday) feel free to stop by. I have two spooled reads and a front triple (PitBulls).

DK: I will be happy to help you with any slack problems you may have :D

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I can bring left-over plates, napkins and plastic forks from my bbq. There's about 2 dozen plates, though...so don't let that deter anyone else from bringing a lil extra. I'll also bring sumpin else to chow on...haven't figured it out yet, though. Now that I've got me a spiffy new tail bag and a tank bag, I've got room to pack my stuff on the Zed...<lets out tiny "woot">

64BonnieLass
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Mel,
I am driving up so I can take your stands in my SUV along with whatever mustard you planned on packing.

I also have 3 coolers if you need them Scott and can bring ice ice baby.

Ping me sissy! (mel that is)

I am going to tow some lawn chairs for the masses. I have at least 4 I can loan. I am also willing to make a phenomenal (sp), zesty pasta salad if that sound good to you all. (and it will come out better than the brownies I made I promise)

Devaclis
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Terri! Can you take my stand and some tools too? Maybe even sweetie pie? She does not want to ride on the highway and I don't want to make a 3 hour tour.

rybo
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Dana,

I have a stand for the hawk you can use.

S

pilot
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 11:31 PM
This goes without saying, but please remember to bring "your" tool kit and owners manual that came with your bike. Wealth of handy stuff and info in there. Especially the axle wrench.

Bat
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I'm a definite "maybe"...I know I'll be out and about on the bike. If I make it, I'll bring some more plates (I have lots) plus some chips/munchies.

accomodate the veggies

Omg, there will be vegetables there? That might be a deal breaker. :p

Basic Suspension Set-Up (IRDave)
Washing the bejeezus out of your bike (Barn)
Basic track set-up (jplracing)
Chain Maintenance (pilot) .

Let's see, item #1 won't affect me nor item #3 really. Item #4 - ummm, squirted some lube on there last weekend - that count? lol! ;) As for item #2 - my bike is absolutely filthy dirty...then again, I kinda like her that way. :eyebrows:

Special Notes: This is a residential neighborhood with lots of kids. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be respectful and careful as you arrive. If you have the need to rip around corners, do wheelies, or other such antics please get that need met before you head my way.

I don't know, this might be a deal breaker too - you know how I like to stunt my killer ride. :lol:

daemon
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 11:16 AM
i have the stock tool kit for my bike(carry it everywhere),but the spanner wrench was not included.
will i need to purchase one for this or will we use the old screwdriver and applied pressure trick?

can i bring my camera(s)?? i want pics of this event if at all possible.
never know if barn might show up in a bikini:)

i have some excess "towels",although i might warn you that i usually use old mismatched socks and disrepaired shirts and such for the cleaning of my chain.
trust me they have been washed and i will wash them again.
as far as food items.
it seems everyone wants to bring chips and dip.
what type of other items would you like?

i don't have stands for my bike.
i use jack stands and i don't plan on caging it there,so i won't want to haul them.
any further advice???

i will bring some of my favorite cleaning/wax items for all to use.

daemon
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 11:18 AM
p.s.
barn,i'll bring some old brushes for you.
my bike is dirty in places only you could reach

Sortarican
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM
... As for item #2 - my bike is absolutely filthy dirty...then again, I kinda like her that way. :eyebrows:
I hear ya Deb,
I like my women like I like bikes......fast, dirty, and high maintenance !:hump:

Dana,
I'm riding up through Grand County (gonna stop and take a picture of the closed courthouse I'm supposed to have a hearing at) and then down into Loveland.
If Peizy doesn't ride and you feel like taking the scenic route let me know.

Scott,
I'll Bring a couple specialized tools (runout gauge, micrometers, etc.) and also some elk and deer meat (I have burger, steaks, and summer sausage).

Hey,
I also have a giant bottle (Imperial I think, like 6 liters) of red wine.
I've been waiting for a large enough gathering to use it to make a big batch of Sangria.
Might save that for the CSC BBQ though.:drink:

See ya'll Sunday.

therabbit
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I might be able to come, it depends on if Fay Myers gets my fork bushings in time (Forks in pieces). If nothing else if anyone has an F4 or F4i (or any other bike that's similar idk) I can show you how to replace the seals and bushings.

dm_gsxr
Fri Jun 8th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I'll be heading over. Drop me a PM if you want me to bring anything. Rita might also be coming. If so, she'll be another Herbivore for the list (she's always 50/50 on stuff so I can't guarentee she'll be there).

See you then.

Carl

~Barn~
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Because of Scer's "I'm moving out of state" BBQ that's happening today, I am sadly going to have to withdraw from doing the bike washing seminar today. I hope nobody is ultra bummed or pissed-off or whatever. If you were really-really-really-really looking forward to seeing my washing technique, or just plain watching me wash your bike, then A.) That's kinda weird, but B.) I'd still be more than happy to do it another time. Just come down/up to Brighton.

Have fun err'body! :up:

Devaclis
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Way to back out of an obligation - Punk

Since when is Oscar more important that washing the chain lube off my rear tire? - Dick

You will show up at the BBQ or I will train Cat in the way of grappeling your ass to the matt. - Turd

Just kidding BTW: Hope you have fun up there and wish Scer the best for me will ya?

JustSomeDude
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Might be a little late - watching the MotoGP race from 11:30 - 12:30

daemon
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 11:55 AM
i doubt i will be able to fill your spot brandon,but i already have alot of cleaning stuff packed with the intention of helping out.

sorry to hear that you won't be there.
hope you have a goood time.

pilot
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Scott, et al,
I had a great time. It was nice to see everyone out and about. Special thanks to Scott, Dave and all the others that provided the great knowledge and time on the bikes.:)

daemon
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 07:41 PM
ihad a heck of a good time.
i learned a bit and look forward to learning more.
thank you for setting this up scott.
i think i can speak for all when i say
"he's hot"
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/1051/p6100030ez4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

just kidding.
it was all great fun and had fun getting to know more of the peeps that frequent this forum,also to kid around with the ones i already know.

so now onto some of the other pics i have from today.

neighbor's are like "WTF,not again"
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7100/p6100017ue8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
nope,it's not hot out.
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/3787/p6100022tx3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
why are none of the guy's looking at the girls???
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8284/p6100024jj9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

daemon
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 07:42 PM
holy smack.
i didn't mean to make the pics so big!!
sorry.

daemon
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 07:47 PM
*in my best beavis voice*
washing the dog,washing the dog
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4640/p6100026qu7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
scenery and more bikes
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/445/p6100027bb8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
somebody said "monkey/football"
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/394/p6100028qe2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
stop biting your nails dude.
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/6370/p6100025zr5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Nice pics man...thanks for sharing. Cool angle of Mel and hmmmm, is that Reann? If you look closely, they are in the right side mirror of the bike to the right of them in the bottom pic timestamped at 8:41 p.m.

mtnairlover
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks, Scott for hosting...and thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge.

A parting shot of today's host...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/terriandscott-1.jpg

PS Oh yes, I do have many more pics to share...ha! Please stand by.

ZX Rider
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Great day today. Thanks to Scott, Dave and others for sharing their
knowledge about bike maintenance.
It was nice to meet a lot of people and see some I met before.
All in all great time.

rybo
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Hi all,

I have to say some thank you's here.

Thanks to:

1. Everyone who came. It was a beautiful day here in Milliken. There was lots of food and beverage for everyone. I counted 37 bikes and 10 cars. LOTS of people. Thanks for coming and making it a fun day

2. IRDave ( www.fixmybike.com ) Dave brought a HUGE amount of knowledge and willingness to teach. He is very good at his work and if you need suspension work done on your bike get in touch with him.

3. spiderman, jplracing, pilot (I'm sure others) for running specific sessions on bike tech. Great to have you guys here. Thank you.

4. eklew, 500rgurl, koniched, shortcake (so many others) who brought food and a willingness to pitch in and help out.

All in all it was more of a social event than a tech day, but I'm glad everyone came and had a great time.

Next event on the Rybo CSC event calendar is the trackday on July 29th. Keep your eyes peeled for some exciting announcements about that soon!

Scott

mtnairlover
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 10:13 PM
The sheer magnitude of the day...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/bikes.jpg

Dave...our suspension and set-up guy for the day. He's awesome mechanic...really knows his stuff.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/dave.jpg

Finishing up the suspension adjust on the Kawi...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/daveandkawi.jpg

Jeremy's working really hard on filing down that...er, um, what was that you were working on again?
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/jeremyfiling.jpg

mtnairlover
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Working on the brake lines...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/scottandbrakes.jpg

Gearing up for a messy chain cleaning...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/pilotgear.jpg

This was one maintenance job that I learned a whole lot about. It's one thing for people to tell you that you've got to clean and lube your chain every so often and oh, use a rag, and oh, it can get messy, and oh...blahdy, blahdy, blah....but seeing someone else clean and lube a chain and explain the importance is a whole different story...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/pilotcleanschain.jpg

mtnairlover
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 10:39 PM
And of course, what's a CSC event without a wee bit o'socializing...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/sullyflyboyand.jpg

You know this had to have happened...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/melandtamera.jpg

Is it the "Dog Days" already?...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/jackthedog.jpg

Yep, much learnin' and socializin' today.

Thanks again everyone. Be seein' ya around.

pilot
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 11:30 PM
all those pictures... great. Thanks everyone for taking them.

eklew
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I had a great time, thanks RYBO. Damn, I still smell like hamburgers!!!!

pilot
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM
I had a great time, thanks RYBO. Damn, I still smell like hamburgers!!!!A special HIDEE-HO! To the Burger King (now we know his true identity). Thanks E!

McVaaahhh
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 11:48 PM
It was great to see everyone again. Lot's of thanks to everyone involved:

Scott for hooking us up huge, you are da man! :up:

Dave for the great suspension info. I'm still trying to absorb.

Pilot for cleaning my chain. Didn't know it was silver. :D

and everyone else for cooking, bringing grub/drinks/knowledge. Good times for sure.

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Agreed. The suspension class was very helpful. I've read a lot and set up the suspension on the 'busa based on what I read. It works great for some of what I do but is pretty stiff for a majority. Dave gave the baseline on how a bike should respond (a slow bounce of about an inch). When I went over to check the Hayabusa's suspension, it moved about an 8th of an inch. I'm going to have to make some adjustments on Dave's way and see how it changes :)

Pics

http://schelin.org/20070610/0610071340-00x600.jpg

http://schelin.org/20070610/0610071340-01x600.jpg

http://schelin.org/20070610/0610071340-02x600.jpg

http://schelin.org/20070610/0610071340-03x600.jpg

Carl

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 06:25 AM
http://schelin.org/20070610/0610071352-00x600.jpg

Carl

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 06:38 AM
My original intention was to bring the SV and get the suspension set up but Friday while I was heading up for an overnight camping trip with Rita, the 'busa experienced some issues with bumps. A little squirming and when I pulled into the camping spot, I heard fender scraping as if I'd caught something.

On the way home Saturday, I did some testing with brakes, engine braking and just using the rear brake and the feeling in the front end changed with each of the different stopping techniques.

Sunday morning, I pulled the calipers and replaced the pads (at about 30% left) with new ones I had and went for a ride around the block. At each of the right turns it was basically ok except for one when I heard the scraping again.

Puzzled I decided to run it up to tech day instead of the SV because we're supposed to be heading up to Custer SD tomorrow (Tues). I was looking for some troubleshooting advice so I knew what the problem was.

Pilot and I ran the bike around in circles to see if the problem could be identified. While we heard the clunk and scraping, we couldn't find it.

After the suspension session, Matt (MattTLR) offerred to take a look. I brought the 'busa over to the shade and we snagged a couple of Pit Bull stands. When we got the bike up on the front stand and wiggled the front tire it was pretty clear that the right bearing was shot. It moved a good quarter of an inch. Ah, problem identified.

Matt was kind enough to offer to show me how to replace the bearings, unfortunately we didn't have any with us so we arranged with Scott to leave the 'busa in his garage and we'd chase down a pair of bearings and seals and come back this afternoon to make the swap.

After Pilot finished up with the chain session and backed the bike out of the garage, I pulled the 'busa up and we put it up on the stands (and there was much grunting; the 'busa's a heavy bike :) ). Matt and I pulled the calipers off. Matt undid the pinch bolts. Dave had a front axle nut so we could remove the axle (which Matt did). The bike wasn't high enough to get the tire out so we used a hex wrench and lifted the fender up and got the tire out.

Problem though. The bearing was so bad that a little less than half the ball bearings were gone and there was pieces of the last ball bearing all throughout the right side. The inside race was off center by quite a bit because of the missing ball bearings. Matt popped off the seal and the bearing came right out. We shook out the rest of the bearings and the spacer.

(continued...)

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 06:52 AM
http://schelin.org/20070610/0610071801-00x600.jpg

I'm pointing out what's left of the rusty grease that came out of the bearing on the rotor. It's not real clear in the pic but there's a smear of rusty grease there.

http://schelin.org/20070610/0610071914-00x600.jpg

The remainder of the ball bearings.

The "bearing" consists of the outer race which the ball bearings are sitting on in the pic. There's also an inner race and the ball bearings sit in between the two races. There are two "bearings", one pressed into either side. Before you press in the second one, a spacer is put in between the two. The center race presses against that so that when you tighten the axle, it's torqued against the center spacer (so you don't press it out).

The real problem here is getting the outside race out. When it's one unit, you just use a punch or drift to push the bearing back out. In this case, the center has come out. We discussed the situation figuring maybe a dremel to cut the race (and cutting into the hub) might be the most extreme fix. Matt happened to have an expanding tool that might be able to grip the lip of the race so it can be pulled out and offerred to try it and then go to the dremel if necessary but we'd have to get the tire up to his place a bit farther north. Matt also has a nice bearing press tool and has done it before.

Pilot had offerred to give me a ride home and was busy with his laptop looking up bearing part numbers and sizes while we worked on the front wheel. Since we were going to have to bring the wheel up to Matt's, I called Rita to come up in her car and thanked Pilot for sticking around. While we waited, we cleaned up and bagged up what was left of the spacer, race, ball bearings, and seal. Matt hopped on his Hawk and headed home after leaving instructions on how to get to his place.

About 10 minutes later Rita showed up. I put the wheel in the back, grabbed the bag, big thanks to Scott and Pilot and we headed north. We found Matt's place with no trouble, took a look at the expander tool and dropped off the tire. Since Matt knew of a bearing place in Greely, we decided it would be easier to get it from there so Matt's grabbing a couple of bearings today for me. Seals too if they can be found. If not, he'll call and I'll see what I can find.

(continued...)

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 07:03 AM
http://schelin.org/20070610/0610071914-01x600.jpg

The seal, a few ball bearings, and what's left of the last ball bearing.

http://schelin.org/20070610/0610071914-02x600.jpg

The spacer, a little grimed and scored but still in good shape and the inner race.

Matt said that he'd try to get the race out (the hardest part of the whole thing) and call me when it was done. We were just a few miles down 25 heading home when Matt called. The grip worked great and the race was out.

So on top of Dave's great suspension session, I got some excellent help from Matt when I came up only to identify the problem.

Thanks to Dave for the session, Scott for hosting and letting me store the 'busa (hopefully only overnight) and Pilot for offerring the ride and sticking around to locate the part number and size of the new bearings.

And a gigantic thanks to Matt for his help in working on the bearings including stopping by to get replacements. I can't thank you enough.

Carl

cdbouncer
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 08:38 AM
What a great time! Thanks Scott for teachin us all how to collect 50+ people in the same place and maintaining the order and quiet..... well, for the most part anyway :)

konichd
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM
A big thanks to Scott (RYBO) for putting this on at his place and providing everyone with a great place to do thier handywork.

Dave - Thanks for all the info on suspensions, I know a lot of people learned some valuable information during your instruction.

Pilot - I never thought I could see a Honda chain get so clean! I defiantely picked up some pointers on caring for my chain and sprokets.

Elden and Jen - excellent job with the grill, the burgers were fantastic!

Also anyone that supplied anything for the event, it was nice to see almost everyone "pitched in" someway.

Whens the next Tech Day? :dunno:

rybo
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I think Dana was going to put one on in an attempt to "one up" me. Before he posts I'll remind him that his precious hawk is in my garage....and I know how to take it apart and ship it back to him piece by peice via UPS

JustSomeDude
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I just want to thank everyone for putting on a very informative and friendly event!!! Thanks Rybo for hosting, and all the techs who ran sessions - I learned a ton.

By the way - is there anyway I can donate to help cover for food, beverages, etc.? I hate showing up and eating and drinking when it was obvious a lot of loot was spent on feeding everyone. Even if it's 10-15 bones... I'd like to help out if I can. Just let me know where to send the cash!

Thanks again everyone!!!!

:applause:

rybo
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM
JSD-

Please don't worry about it. While there was a lot spent it seemed to me that it was well distributed over a bunch of people. I'm hoping the success of this event will inspire others to host similar events in the future. When that happens bring something to contribute. It was a great day, thanks for coming!

Scott

daemon
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 10:21 AM
again i have to say.
big on you scott.
i hope your neighbors haven't complained.
after a nice hot day in the sun i came home to find out that freda was going to be babysitting her grandkids.

joy!!!
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3610/p6100037zy1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

i figured since i seemed to avoid the camera well yesterday.
i should post one up.

Suki
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM
wish we could have made it. i had my directions all messed up, we had to go past winter park, not estes park, to take the kid to summer camp. we didn't get home til after 6pm, ate then crashed out.

Sortarican
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks Scott for hosting a great event. (And for the aluminum.)
If there's ever anything I can do to repay ya just give a holler.:up:

Thanks to:
Dave, Scott and Pilot for the tech dissertations.
Elden for manning the grill.
Bob for all the Go Fast.....didn't sleep last night.:crazy:
And thanks to Dana, Sully, Siobhan, and Rick(?I'm terrible with names.:oops:) for the company on the ride up.

Good to see some familiar faces as well as meeting some new folk too.

I vote that Jeremy has to caters the next tech day, after all, he got his bike completely rebuilt during this one.:)

Probably ride up with Dana to get the Hawk, so see ya then Scott.

Devaclis
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I think Dana was going to put one on in an attempt to "one up" me. Before he posts I'll remind him that his precious hawk is in my garage....and I know how to take it apart and ship it back to him piece by peice via UPS

Well, I can't 1 up ya for sure man. Great get together!! Thanks for setting this event up and for hosting my Hawk until I can get my new tires!!

I will be having a similar event after the July 29th Track Day. I will be looking for volunteers to help with the tech portion. I will be cooking and causing trouble. As it gets closer I will post up a thread.

Thanks again Scott and all you peeps who gave great tech instruction :)

Mel
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I agree with everything already said, and wanna also throw Terris name out there, because without her offering to transport things in her car, ya'll wouldn't have had stands to fix your bikes on. :p

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Ok, Rita drove me up to Scott's and Matt brought the tire down and his tools. Since it was a tech day yesterday and I said I wanted to do everything I could in order to be more experienced on the bike. I had to stop and pick up an axle wrench that Dave had yesterday (fits into the hex opening) at the local dealer ($35).

I used brake cleaner to clean out where the bearings were and ran a rag through the opening to get any extra bits like failed ball bearing. Then Scott cleaned off the spacer and Matt broke out his press (he showed me the seal puller first). With me keeping the tire upright and the press centered on the bearing, Matt tightened it down until it was seated. Then we put the spacer in and swapped it around to do the other side. Then we pressed in the dust seals. I tried pressing them in by hand but it was a little hard so we used the press. They went in without any problem. I lubed up the axle, cleaning off a few bits of grit. Matt used some different lube on the seals (mine was dark purple and his was a light green). We used the torque wrench and torqued it down, then put the calipers back on and torqued them down. The fender was screwed back on and then we took out the front pit bull stand and bounced the front end a little in case there was a little binding then tightened up the pinch bolts.

I took it for a quick ride around the neighborhood and of course it felt much better. In addition to the cost of the bearings and seals, I tried to give Matt some extra for gas and his time but both he and Scott refused and gave me back the difference. "It was a tech day and we're here to learn, no money was supposed to change hands."

Is that awesome or what?

I asked Matt if it'd be ok if I brought three bearings and seals up to his place in a week or two in order to replace the seals in the rear tire and he was totally willing so I'll be doing the rear ones soon.

I have pics of the work but they're in my cell and it's packed away for the ride tomorrow. I'll add them in to the thread once I get back.

Later and again, a super big thanks to both Scott and Matt.

Carl

Marauder
Thu Jun 14th, 2007, 10:51 PM
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=136394215&albumId=888314

Hope the link works. Thanks to Joe, Jim, Bob and Scott for all the help with the 954. Learned a lot and I appreciate you all spending the time on my little girl.

Mel
Thu Jun 14th, 2007, 11:16 PM
damnit Jer...you weren't supposed to tell anyone you gave me rugburn!

Marauder
Thu Jun 14th, 2007, 11:21 PM
damnit Jer...you weren't supposed to tell anyone you gave me rugburn!
Not my fault...probably the two guys after me...

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Jun 15th, 2007, 08:59 AM
BURN! :lol: