PDA

View Full Version : I need help!

ccdirtrider05
Mon May 28th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I have a 1991 yamaha FZR600. up until here recently its been running fine but about two weeks ago it started having problems cold starting.. it started having to be nursed at about half to full throttle to even get a rough idle of about 1 - 1.5k and would not budge no matter what until it was plenty up to operating temp.
about a week of this and it became extremely hard to get started. and as i sat in the work parking lot for about 30 minutes of cranking on the starter tryin to keep it runnin i said the hell and put it in the garage for much needed work.. i suspected the carbs as the biggest problem but went ahead and did some other things ive been needing to do. new plugs, changed the valve cover gasket thing that was leaking oil on me.. put a fresh charge on the battery, took the carbs out and cleaned what i could, fresh oil, anitfreeze, brake, just basic BS.. put it all together and couldnt start it.
i tried and tried to get it going but couldnt so i shot some starter fluid in and it fired right up. i changed out the gas and put some fresh premium with some BG fuel additive hoping it was some shit gas. let it run for about twenty minutes to run through and it started to run smoother.. hot start was perfect.. so i let it cool for about 4 hours.. and couldnt start it for the life of me and when i did it was just like before, had to nurse it like no other.. i know i need to get the carbs re-synchronized (sp) but was wondering if anyone else has any thoughts about a possible problem, and also i need a GOOD place or person to get the carb work done.. i trust apex and rcky mtn for parts and clothes, but not service..
any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Chris

rybo
Mon May 28th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Hey,

The FZR is very sensitive to valve adjustment and it gets VERY hard to start when the valves need to be adjusted. Sounds like it's time for yours.

Best of luck

Scott

I have a 1991 yamaha FZR600. up until here recently its been running fine but about two weeks ago it started having problems cold starting.. it started having to be nursed at about half to full throttle to even get a rough idle of about 1 - 1.5k and would not budge no matter what until it was plenty up to operating temp.
about a week of this and it became extremely hard to get started. and as i sat in the work parking lot for about 30 minutes of cranking on the starter tryin to keep it runnin i said the hell and put it in the garage for much needed work.. i suspected the carbs as the biggest problem but went ahead and did some other things ive been needing to do. new plugs, changed the valve cover gasket thing that was leaking oil on me.. put a fresh charge on the battery, took the carbs out and cleaned what i could, fresh oil, anitfreeze, brake, just basic BS.. put it all together and couldnt start it.
i tried and tried to get it going but couldnt so i shot some starter fluid in and it fired right up. i changed out the gas and put some fresh premium with some BG fuel additive hoping it was some shit gas. let it run for about twenty minutes to run through and it started to run smoother.. hot start was perfect.. so i let it cool for about 4 hours.. and couldnt start it for the life of me and when i did it was just like before, had to nurse it like no other.. i know i need to get the carbs re-synchronized (sp) but was wondering if anyone else has any thoughts about a possible problem, and also i need a GOOD place or person to get the carb work done.. i trust apex and rcky mtn for parts and clothes, but not service..
any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Chris

ccdirtrider05
Mon May 28th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I ran the feeler gauges through when i had the cover off and all were within spec and within .002 of one another, do you know anyone who could adjust them and do the carbs too?
preferably around the springs area

ccdirtrider05
Wed May 30th, 2007, 04:48 PM
can anyone point me in the direction of a shop that could check out my valves and defineatly adjust the carbs?