PDA

View Full Version : spring riding..

ccdirtrider05
Mon May 28th, 2007, 10:51 PM
gotta love spring riding in colorado.. started a ride in t-shirt weather (was wearing a vented mesh jacket, helmet, jeans, and light gloves)
went up towards the hills and still golden. got about halfway and it got really freakin cold (this is whear i start wishin i had a sport touring bike with saddle bags for extra gear)
first it got cold, then the rain to dampen the clothes and stick them nicely to my skin.. Hail soon followed and since my clothes were already clung to my skin i had nothing to kill the sting from the hail. then it got a little colder. (this would be mother nature kicking me when im already down) so i decide to get the heck outta there and head back.. about ten miles of riding in rain puts me south of the storm.. dry roads, sunny sky, wind, nothing more.. so whats going on now? well.. im soaking wet to the bone, and the lovely wind is catching the country side and blowing it all around. so the dirt and dust is having a tar and feather effect on me.. needless to say, by time i got home i felt about like a 150 grit sheet of sandpaper.. (mother nature salting the wound)
but all in all.. it happens all the time tho.. only when i do bring the right gear is when its hot as hell and then i just roast.. good ol murphy strikes again! happy spring riding!!!

lightning126zp
Tue May 29th, 2007, 06:52 AM
gotta love spring riding in colorado.. started a ride in t-shirt weather (was wearing a vented mesh jacket, helmet, jeans, and light gloves)
went up towards the hills and still golden. got about halfway and it got really freakin cold (this is whear i start wishin i had a sport touring bike with saddle bags for extra gear)
All you need is a tank bag for extra gear. Just remember, layers is the best thing. I usually pack a set of thermals (top/bottom), winter/rain gloves, and some water. That pretty much does it for me in just about every weather condition.
Just like you said...Happy Spring Riding :up:

dm_gsxr
Tue May 29th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Or a tailbag or even a bungied backpack. But when heading up into the hills or anything other than a short trip to the gym I've got my Aerostich on anyway. I have my JR jacket liner in a tailbag or even the Givi if it's mounted. We went up to Wyoming on Saturday and it was a tad chilly in places. I put the JR liner over the 'stich and I was fricking hot :)

Carl

Yamacati Bob
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM
When I moved down here in March the weather was shockingly good for someone from Montana...then came April and May...and now June.
I rode the FZ-1 back to Montana Memorial weekend and had a memorable trip. Left the Office downtown at 2:30pm and had bumper to bumper traffic steady to Ft. Collins, then, rain near Rawlins, and from Riverton on up to Billings it was about 40 degrees (no heated clothing or grips)...I arrived at my house at 2:30am saturday :shocked:. I was screaming in my helmet to stay warm, awake, and alert...must have worked!! I installed heated grips Sunday and the ride back on Monday was quicker, wetter, and warmer...got in at 12:30 am....much earlier.
So yesterday I went to see a friend play the villan in the melodrama at Cripple Creek...nice ride up, and HAIL for the ride back:pointlaugh: ya gotta love it!

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 06:25 PM
When I moved down here in March the weather was shockingly good for someone from Montana...then came April and May...and now June.
I rode the FZ-1 back to Montana Memorial weekend and had a memorable trip. Left the Office downtown at 2:30pm and had bumper to bumper traffic steady to Ft. Collins, then, rain near Rawlins, and from Riverton on up to Billings it was about 40 degrees (no heated clothing or grips)...I arrived at my house at 2:30am saturday :shocked:. I was screaming in my helmet to stay warm, awake, and alert...must have worked!! I installed heated grips Sunday and the ride back on Monday was quicker, wetter, and warmer...got in at 12:30 am....much earlier.
So yesterday I went to see a friend play the villan in the melodrama at Cripple Creek...nice ride up, and HAIL for the ride back:pointlaugh: ya gotta love it!

Damn...impressive ride.

BTW...Welcome aboard!