PDA

View Full Version : Bike needs service

t_jolt
Wed May 30th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Well i hit my 600 mile mark, and need the bike serviced. Who do you think would be the best for this? Its a gs500f, and it has valves. Im kinda a wrench, but havent worked on bikes before. So would this be something something i can do? or should i just spend the $200 and eat it?

also who should i have do you the work?

Thanks
Tyrel

konichd
Wed May 30th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Call Jim at TFOG Wheelsports, he has always given me outstanding service at a great price. :)

rybo
Wed May 30th, 2007, 01:05 PM
600 mile service almost NEVER involves adjusting valves. Should be a "check all bolts for proper torque, change fluids and go" kind of service

Mel
Wed May 30th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Its a gs500f, and it has valves. Im kinda a wrench, but havent worked on bikes before.

ummm, don't all internal combustion motors have valves? :lol:
Look at your manual and see what all is entailed with the 600 mile service...I wouldn't think it would be that hard, nor do I think it should involve checking valves or cam clearances.

Sortarican
Wed May 30th, 2007, 01:12 PM
ummm, don't all internal combustion motors have valves? :lol:
Look at your manual and see what all is entailed with the 600 mile service...I wouldn't think it would be that hard.

Hydraulic valves don't usually need adjusting, just a full valve job after they're shot.

+1 Check the owners manual for required items, DIY, shouldn't be much.

Though don't most dealers do the post breakin check free?
(Wouldn't know, don't believe in new bikes....I mean I believe they exist....just not for me....nevermind.)

Suki
Wed May 30th, 2007, 01:59 PM
what's this 600 mile service? blah, for the weak it is! just change the oil. :lol:

lightning126zp
Wed May 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Change your own oil and rejet the bike. That's what I did when I had a GS500