PDA

View Full Version : State Patrol on Hwy 7 from Lyons to Hwy 72

martin
Wed May 30th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I was riding solo last Saturday from Lyons up and over to Estes Park when I got pulled over. I was pulled over for passing...in a passing zone. We argued about whether there was a passing zone and he said "no" while I said "yes" and, long story short, I got a warning. The point here is that he said they would be up there all the time now, due to complaints of reckless riding. And the kicker is that they won't be giving tickets, but just impounding bikes and carting people off to jail. So, be warned. The speed limit in the canyon is a whopping 40mph. Cheers, Chris

dm_gsxr
Wed May 30th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Well, that'll certainly increase the number of police chases. I wonder if they're just looking for more excitement up there?

Carl

dgoldan
Wed May 30th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Yeah, we got the same lecture, probably from the same trooper. Take a look at the last few messages in this thread.
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=178264#post178264

mtnairlover
Wed May 30th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I like this quote..." It was actually kinda funny watching him try and figure out why a 43 yr old was riding with a 24 and 19 yr old."

Ha! Yeah, I ride that way all the time...or is it..."That's how I roll." What's even funnier for me is when I take off my helmet and they go all stone-faced. Like..."Holy shite! It's a girl!" :lol:

Thanks for the 411 guys.

JustSomeDude
Wed May 30th, 2007, 10:21 PM
The speed limit in the canyon is a whopping 40mph. Cheers, Chris

That's OK - because the speed limit in my pants is 78mph. So I'm in the clear.

:hump:

pilot
Wed May 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I recall this discussion taking place late last year-- That there would most certainly be more patrols on the roads. The locals are getting fed up with noisy pipes, fast passes in no passing zones, high speed through turns, and the occasional having to wait while an ambulance picks up the body.

Taxes are down so fines need to go up to pay for this and that.

Welcome to the world of tomorrow.

Not until a couple of really stupid busts get run through the courts by some sharp lawyers and the city/county/state pays out a huge fee/penalty and some cops/city managers loose their jobs will this become less of an issue.

Say goodnight to Horsepower Hill. Bye Bye Turkey Creek. Laters Peak to Peak.

Sad but true.

Again, I said it before, I'll say it again. A Co-Op is the way to go. Therein part of the fee would go to pay for legal services. Costs go up, fees go up, costs go down, fees go down. That is a Co-Op. Until then, we can all continue to say, "gee that's too bad, it happened to me once, my brother is a cop and he says..., you'll never get your impound money back, lawyers costs to much, etc."

Co-Ops or cops, you choose.

JustSomeDude
Thu May 31st, 2007, 11:26 AM
Co-Ops or cops, you choose.

We should call them Po-Ops, that way we can call them "poops". Yes, I'm 5 years old.

:yay:

Suki
Thu May 31st, 2007, 01:01 PM
:lol: i like him, he can stay.

prickle
Thu May 31st, 2007, 01:51 PM
That's OK - because the speed limit in my pants is 78mph. So I'm in the clear.

:hump:

Snap!

FortCollins
Sat Jun 9th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I rode 119 out of boulder to nederland, up 72 and then up 7 to estes yesterday. And back. Saw only ONE cop headed in opposite direction on 72. I looked back and his taillights were on. Dont know if he wa
s turning around. I just took off a little faster. If hes gonna write me hes gonna earn it.

The roads while in not great shape were clear of sand and much good times could be had.

FortitudoX
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I ride lefthand-peak to peak-down 7 weekly. Havn't seen any cops whenever I go. But I'm usualy going at like 1 on a tuesday. Thats a bummer to hear they're cracking down. It's not like we put anyone else at risk, its our own lives =p.

Gramps
Tue Jun 12th, 2007, 09:36 AM
hwy 7 is a favorite road of mine

but you have to pick your times and ride accordingly

in other words use some common sense people:)

64BonnieLass
Tue Jun 12th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I was riding solo last Saturday from Lyons up and over to Estes Park when I got pulled over. I was pulled over for passing...in a passing zone. We argued about whether there was a passing zone and he said "no" while I said "yes" and, long story short, I got a warning. The point here is that he said they would be up there all the time now, due to complaints of reckless riding. And the kicker is that they won't be giving tickets, but just impounding bikes and carting people off to jail. So, be warned. The speed limit in the canyon is a whopping 40mph. Cheers, Chris

Okay, question? How do the cops have the right to impound a bike? If I"m going 5mph over the speed limit, my bike can be impounded? WTF

Mr_RC
Tue Jun 12th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Peak to Peak has become one of my favorite rides, especially from Netherlands to Lyons or from Blackhawk to Netherlands. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be looking out for them.:shocked:

Auron
Tue Jun 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Okay, question? How do the cops have the right to impound a bike? If I"m going 5mph over the speed limit, my bike can be impounded? WTF
+1 WTF!