PDA

View Full Version : Chain replacement..??

Bigtime73
Wed May 19th, 2004, 02:05 PM
I've had a D.I.D chain now for 2 years and have not been hard on it. I race now and saw somone this weekend throw their chain. Results were not very pretty to say the least. How do I tell if the chain is ready for replacement?

ALSO....
my bike is at over 16,000 miles. I haven't had the valves adjusted since my 7500 mile service at the shop. I had put in, new front fork springs, case covers, etc, etc..before I considered getting the valve adj.. Any suggestions???

towneh
Wed May 19th, 2004, 02:41 PM
hello bt73,
chains stretch over time and cyclic loading particularly when the chain is not periodically lubed and/or adjusted..... your owner's manual should specify the max length for so-many pins.
--hope that helps--
henry

Bigtime73
Wed May 19th, 2004, 02:44 PM
hello bt73,
chains stretch over time and cyclic loading particularly when the chain is not periodically lubed and/or adjusted..... your owner's manual should specify the max length for so-many pins.
--hope that helps--
henry

HOLY Technicalness......Spock...take us to warp speed...J/K

I'll try to measure my chain as it is riveted. Maybe I'll just go get a new one..make it easier..cheaper no!! But safe for racing..yes..Thx Towneh

towneh
Wed May 19th, 2004, 02:50 PM
hello bt73,
--hope that helps--
henry

HOLY Technicalness......Spock...take us to warp speed...J/K

I'll try to measure my chain as it is riveted. Maybe I'll just go get a new one..make it easier..cheaper no!! But safe for racing..yes..Thx Towneh

safe is good.
--live long and prosper--
henry (pointy ears included) :lol: :D :lol: :D

BlueDevil
Thu May 20th, 2004, 08:20 AM
If U have taken good care of your chain it should be pretty decent. However 16K is getting up there on the same chain....... Id say go ahead and change it. Im all about the safe thing as well. Ive seen chains snap and cut the engine block open. Then U R screwed. Im all about the safe route as well. Especially when a race is the risk.

Good luck

Bigtime73
Thu May 20th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Thx BD, the chain has actually about 7500 on it. But I am prolly gonna change it anyway...See ya at SCR...