PDA

View Full Version : zx9r runs rough below 4k rpm / 2nd gear is not so good

japrules
Thu May 20th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Below 4k rpm and below 40 mph my 97 z9 runs like its on 3 cylinders. I just got the bike. It has 15k on it. Above 40 mph it cleans up (ram air?).

I do not know if the bike has a jet kit. How can I tell? It has a full Micron exhaust. Can I tweek the carbs at all for this or is it just a characteristic of the bike?

Also, it has the dreaded kawasaki 2nd gear syndrome. It has a reverse shift pattern and to engage 2nd gear without sort of grinding it above oh say 6000 rpm I have to really slam it into 2nd (which is why I like the reverse pattern, lots easier on my foot!) if I do that it goes in without noise.. If I shift at low rpm its fine.. no problem.. I just changed the oil and did semi-synth 20w 50... would a lighter oil help with this?

Joe

jeff
Thu May 20th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Sounds like it needs a jet kit if it has a full system on it and no jet kit it would most likly run ruff. and the shifting is probley a bent shift fork about 500.00 to have it repaired at a dealer.

japrules
Thu May 20th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Any idea how to tell if I already have a jet kit?

japrules
Fri May 21st, 2004, 04:02 PM
Stopped in at the Kawi dealer in Longmont.. they test drove it and said I should shut up and drive it... its fine..

j

BenDover
Fri May 21st, 2004, 04:38 PM
Stopped in at the Kawi dealer in Longmont.. they test drove it and said I should shut up and drive it... its fine..

j

:lol: That's awesome! Not many times does a dealer pass up a chance to make some money. :up: to Marshall and the other guys at Rocky Mountain Kawi!

japrules
Fri May 21st, 2004, 09:42 PM
Specifically Grant drove it.. was real nice. He said you just have to be real firm with the shifting.. and like I said, he said the motor sounded normal... I need tires but they are way outa line.. like $70.00 outa line.

My ex gf bought a bike there and they were real nice to us. I will go back and get some service (need valves checked one of these days)..

Joe