PDA

View Full Version : How to Rebuild a Salvaged Bike

konichd
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:16 PM
Since a lot of people on this board have inquired about the proper technique to rebuild a salvaged bike, I will hopefully illistrate this effectively so that everyone has the proper tools necessary to build a bike. :)

To dispell a couple of myths about rebuilding a bike: You can get full coverage insurance that will cost the same as a "clean title" bike, insurance replacemnt value is not affected, resale value isn't hurt too much compared to cars, and there will be more as I take you step-by-step through this process.

So "What do I got to do?" you say? Well lets start with step one then

STEP 1: Find your bike!
This may seem simple, but you have a couple options when finding a bike. Klodes Auto Auction is one place, they charge a 150 dollar member fee, but have a lot of selection to choose from. Lincoln Auto Salvage has a smaller selection but you can find good deals there, this is where I bought my 636. Or private party's or dealerships will sometimes have bikes ready to rebuild.

For me, I found my bike at Lincoln Auto Salvage. The bike had mainly cosemtic damage, the subframe was tweaked, but the bike was relatively "solid" so I made an offer of $2700 and took it home. Things to look for before buying a salvage bike: bent frame, wheels, forks (these are high $$ items) leaks, condition of seals, strong running motor, pretty commons stuff but you defiantely don't want to overlook any of these areas or it will cost you during the rebuild process.

konichd
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
Step 2: Begin the "tear down" process
Once you get your salvage bike home begin the tear down process. Start taking off parts and make a couple piles. Parts that are good, parts that can be reconditioned, parts that are trash, and parts that will go onto E-bay.

As you tear the bike down take pictures throughout the entire process! Also make an "inventory" list of items that will have to be replaced. Most of this is pretty simple stuff, just make sure to mark wires and bolts, take pics and get the bike down to "bear bones" to have a good foundation to build upon.

konichd
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:26 PM
Step 3: The buildup
Now that you have the bike stripped down you can start the rebuild. I took my bike to TFOG (Thanks Jim for all the help on this project) and they installed braided brake lines and re-aligned the front end for me. After hitting up E-bay, WERA boards, friends, and the CSC I had the parts in line for the rebuild. This is important: BEFORE YOU INSTALL EVERYTHING YOU SHOULD GET THE BIKE RUNNING! So RYBO (thanks for all your help buddy!) offered his assistance and we installed the subframe, power commander, air filter, new oil and filter, levers, ram-air assembly, fairing stay, and instrument cluster. Added gas and took this motherfucker for a spin!

konichd
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:28 PM
Step 4: After the "Thumbs up!"
So now you got the bike running, the sun is shinning, and your ready to shake this bitch down! Where better than the track! I bought a race upper, installed the rest of the platic and headed out to Miller Motorsports Park to do a "test run" session to make sure there weren't any problems before I converted it to a street legal bike.

konichd
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Step 5: The Conversion
So the bike did flawless and make it through a 4-day track day. Now its time to "make it pretty" as Shortcake would say so get it up on stands, change the oil and get ready to convert it over to a streetbike.

Now just start adding (from the tail forward) you new plastic, double checking wiring as you go and taking your time. This part should easily take you 6-10 hours to get a "quality" product. Once you have all your plastic on, check your lights, chain tension, and other adjustments to make sure nothing is loose or overtightened.

Now your bike is getting somewhere! :)

konichd
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
Step 6: HOLY SHIT! I'm done DK!
Not even close! Now comes the fun part, the paperwork! First thing is first, lets get the frame stamped. The frame needs to be stamped by the steering head "REBUILT FROM SALVAGE" in order to get inspected. If you do not have this you cannot get the bike inspected. Lincoln Auto does this for 15 bucks, as do a number of other places around Denver. Complete the bike, get it stamped and your even closer to hitting the streets!

konichd
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:41 PM
Step 7: Getting your paperwork and inspection
So now you need to call the CSP and get an inspection scheduled. I got mine scheduled in Golden Colorado, but there is a place up norht that will do these also. Make sure you keep all your reciepts in a binder, along with pics! The CSP is mainly checking for stolen parts, so if you don't have your reciepts perepare to have a difficult time. I have attached a PDF containing the required documentation you need to fill out PRIOR to going to the CSP. Its all self-explanatory but needs to be filled out in order to get your inspection form. You can pic up these forms at the DMV and remember to bring your title also. This is a time when I call and get insurance also and provide a copy to the CSP for review.

konichd
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:44 PM
Step 8: DK I'm gonna ride this bitch!
Not so fast! After you get your inspection taken care of by the CSP (If your successful they will give you a report and charge 20 bucks for this) you have two choices:

1. You go directly to the DMV with your inspection report and title, which then enables you to pick up your plates and tabs.

2. If you get it from Lincoln you can show them the inspection report and get a 60 day temp tag. This helps if you plan on just flipping the bike and selling it.

Now your done! But remember to keep good records, pics and any other documentation to help your case. You know have a "custom" bike that you assembled and has definately cost you less than book value.

Congradulations!

konichd
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:05 PM
Step 9: What did this cost me?
What do you want it to cost? I bought my bike for $2,700 and $1,000 would have gotten it "streetable." I chose to add a number of non-required upgrades: Power Commander, K&N air filter, new tires, new chain, exhaust, stomp grip, preload adjustors, Woodcraft Clip-ons, and the list goes on. You can spend whatever you want, its all about how much the bike cost, and how available parts are. The faster you want it done, the more its going to cost.

If you have any questions don't be afraid to post up or PM me, good luck if you plan on rebuilding a bike! :)

rybo
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Nice write up DK!

If anyone decides to take on a salvage rebuild I offer my tradmarked "Thumbs Up" initial test ride service free of charge to club members.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:02 PM
Very nice David. It looks great by the pictures...sure it's even better in person.

Sorry if I missed it, but I have a question...I'm guessing those are OEM plastics (blue) or did you get this thing painted somewhere?

Again, nice job!

stonefilly
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:22 PM
Wow! Impressive write-up!

*KEN*
Sat Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
:lol:
Could I get a thumbs up ride on my should-be-salvage bike?

Nice write up DK!

If anyone decides to take on a salvage rebuild I offer my tradmarked "Thumbs Up" initial test ride service free of charge to club members.

konichd
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Very nice David. It looks great by the pictures...sure it's even better in person.

Sorry if I missed it, but I have a question...I'm guessing those are OEM plastics (blue) or did you get this thing painted somewhere?

Again, nice job!

The blue plastics are a stock color for that year. It was also the most available color on E-bay! :lol:

Nonstop
Mon Jan 28th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Is the stamping the frame with rebuilt from salvage a new law? The bikes that I previously did the rebuild on did not require this. There is also a way to get rid of the rebuild from salvage mark on a branded title also. If you file for a bonded title and do a BOS title it wil make it a clear title again. Just a little FYI for everyone out there.

pauliep
Tue Jan 29th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Nice write up. Got that race tech shock in the mail yesterday, still up for tool time?

konichd
Tue Jan 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Is the stamping the frame with rebuilt from salvage a new law? The bikes that I previously did the rebuild on did not require this. There is also a way to get rid of the rebuild from salvage mark on a branded title also. If you file for a bonded title and do a BOS title it wil make it a clear title again. Just a little FYI for everyone out there.

From what I know by law you have to have this stamp on the frame to get it inspected and liscensed in the state of CO. I know its been that way since 2005, not sure on when it was enacted into law.

Keep in mind this pertains to bikes from Lincoln Auto Salvage, Klodes, etc. that have been totaled by an insurance company. If your buddy goes down and wrecks his bike, you buy it and rebuild it, then the above doesn't pertain to you.

dragos13
Tue Jan 29th, 2008, 02:00 PM
awesome writeup

Nonstop
Tue Jan 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
From what I know by law you have to have this stamp on the frame to get it inspected and liscensed in the state of CO. I know its been that way since 2005, not sure on when it was enacted into law.

Keep in mind this pertains to bikes from Lincoln Auto Salvage, Klodes, etc. that have been totaled by an insurance company. If your buddy goes down and wrecks his bike, you buy it and rebuild it, then the above doesn't pertain to you.

No the ones I did were insurance totals with the branded title and everything. The last one I did I titled in 04 though so maybe they changed the law in 05.