PDA

View Full Version : IMI Sunday

dm_gsxr
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Man that was fun!

It was nice that they kept the carts off while we were on and vice-versa.

On the first curve after the back stretch, the rear on the SV slid out but reading posts here and in other places kept me from panicing. I kept the throttle consistent and it recovered on its own. I also did a tiny slide in the concrete dusted part on the curve before the 'S' (that white bit).

When I mentioned it, it was suggested that I lower the tire pressure. I dropped front and rear to 30lbs (they were 34/32 prior). On that first curve after the straightaway after I did that, the front got all wobbly and I ran wide and into the dirt. But again, I remembered the posts, straightened it up before I got to the dirt, rode it out and got back on the track without issue.

I got my foot caught under the peg on that first tight left turn and also touched the right peg down (felt metal scrape). On the plus side, I got both my knees down for the first time. Folks are right though, keep pushing and getting the knee down will come naturally :D

We bailed because I was getting tired and my ankles were complaining :)

I hope everyone's ok from the accidents. Hopefully there weren't any more after we left.

I look forward to hitting the track again soon. Good to see folks again and meet new folks. I got the back protector from Bueller and it fit pretty well, thanks!

Carl

Bueller
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Hopefully you won't crash test it, but it is there now just in case.

beavisr1
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:57 PM
We went out and it was a good day to ride for sure. I couldn't believe how many people were out there including all the girl racers/riders. Awesome day with the exception of 2 seperate crashes that happened at the same time. I escaped 1 but was part of the 2nd. This a-hole on a gixxer1000 thought he would try to pass me unsafe in a corner and he ended up in the ditch. Maybe he learned not to try to pass the ol'Beavis LOL. Any how I was out on my wifes 03 CBR600RR and it felt so natural for that track. Much more rideable than my 1051cc big bore 04 R1. I am hooked for sure. My wife gave me the green light to turn her bike into a track bike. BUT I have to buy her another 600. Hmmm decisions decsions. I would like to have her bike for track days because I KNOW EXACTLY HOW ITS BEEN RIDDEN and taken care of. And on the flipside I would like another project bike a new 600 something. So here is the best pick of me on her bike todday. It was some of the 1st laps that I had taken and not in a hard lean as of yet. But I soon got the hang of her bike and got my knee down plenty of times.

dm_gsxr
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
I'd like to have some rules compiled and passed out before the day begins, maybe on the tents that were up. I wasn't sure if everyone knew to raise their hands so I was tentative when I was behind someone on that last corner.

Also, there were three accidents. Blue bike on the final curve in front of the pits. Black and red Suzuki on the back straightaway and the pileup (two bikes down) on the first curve after the pits.

One thing Dirk mentioned was that the Suzuki didn't keep going which contributed to him going down. In reviewing the situation, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have kept going and might have caused the same accident.

If someone could clarify what the right thing to do in that situation and also, further information on the unsafe pass. I'm just trying to go around without hitting anyone or going down.

For instance, folks can't quite go fast enough in the corners but can really whomp it on the back straight. So I hit it harder to get by and cut that last curve way too fast. I got the speed bled off but the front end was really trying to tuck. Hopefully I didn't cause any problems.

Carl

beavisr1
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:11 PM
That wasn't you that went in the dirt by me.

SixnChange
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:27 PM
ya it was fun! loooove that new pavement

and to the guys who went down-- welcome to the club

Bueller
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
Signal your intention to exit the track well in advance of the exit, stay to the outside of the track slow down so people know you are not still riding. DO NOT decide at the last minute that you want to exit and cut the track to do so. Take your fucking mirrors OFF or tape them up! All day long I saw people looking at me approaching in their mirrors and then made a poor choice as to try to get out of the way. You will enjoy it much more if you aren't glued to your mirrors all day. If some one goes down don't every swinging dick (sorry ladies) stop on the track, You guys are lucky you didn't get shit holed! Pueblo just enacted a new rule (Moriah's rule) that prohibits this, for a good reason. Since IMI doesn't have a good response plan, 1 rider to help the fallen rider and one to signal oncoming riders is not a bad idea, as long as you are not in an impact zone. But that was just plain stupid today.
I would suggest if you go offroading that you come to a stop so you can ascertain whether re entering the race line can be done safely.

dm_gsxr
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Yea, like that. I realized after I got back on that I should have stopped because I saw the guy out of the corner of my eye on the yellow bike. Hope I didn't surprise you too badly.

Since IMI doesn't have these sorts of things, we need to police ourselves to prevent accidents or being "shit holed". I thought stopping on the inside and off the track to help was a good thing but I was number 3 so I should have kept going.

Carl

dirkterrell
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:30 PM
One thing Dirk mentioned was that the Suzuki didn't keep going which contributed to him going down. In reviewing the situation, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have kept going and might have caused the same accident.

First let me aplogize to the rider of the yellow Gixxer about losing my cool. I shared in bad decisions that led to my going down. I saw Sebastian trying to make the pass and it looked like he just ran out of track when the yellow Gixxer took a wide line. As Seb tumbled, I turned my attention to the Gixxer, expecting him to execute the turn and we'd just ride on by. But he stopped and to avoid hitting him, in that split second I decided to stand up and brake hard. I think I got on the front brake just a hair too soon and tucked the front. I knew when I hit that I didn't get my shoulder turned enough to take the impact on the shoulder blade and that I had done some damage. As I suspected, broken collarbone.

So, the lesson is that if someone goes down in front of you in a turn, ride on through on the inside. Their momentum will carry them to the outside.

And +1000 on Dave's comments about taping/removing the mirrors. Don't focus on what's behind you.

Dirk

Crisco
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Some rules or things we should go over from now on:

2 or if needed 3 groups, 1 for fast, experienced, 2 for new and or slower guys

Removal or Taped Mirrors

When everyone is at the start station ready to go out be in a semi order where the faster guys are first and slow in last just so ever one can practice and warm up tires without pissing someone off

before going out have the group walk the track and point out to each other gravel or the race lines so passing will be easier and everyone will know the lines they are taking

and last get to know everyone and their skills so you know before hand when your on the track

Bueller
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
With the limited time alloted for the bikes you are not going to get seperate sessions

Crisco
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
With the limited time alloted for the bikes you are not going to get seperate sessions

yeh thats true but today they have been really unfair to the bikes

I used to be longer than that but I guess with all the people renting carts out there they get you guys off

beavisr1
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
I think the rules are just fine with the seperation of rides/riders. Remamber people its a go-cart track. and us bikers have the PRIVLAGE to ride it. Just enjoy and not complain.

Bueller
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
Karts are the cash cow, things are very unlikely to change. It has always been that way for the couple years I've been going there.
It is a race track, people need to be ok with being passed, it's gonna happen (I get passed all the time). :)

We were running 1/2 speed out there today because of the traffic and that is fine, I don't need to go balls to the wall every session, I have just as much fun screwing around.
If you want less traffic come later, by 2pm the place had emptied out and we were running more at a good practice speed.

LQ3
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:02 PM
I also agree it was alot of fun today. I didnt run as good as I wanted to but I didn't crash so that's always a good thing. That sucked that those people went down but no one got hurt that I know of and thats the important thing. You can replace a bike not a person.

will-t
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:10 PM
Since we're discussing rules and safety. Anyone have a problem with my positions on the infield today?

For the horseshoe I tried to stay well away from the track so as not to be a distraction. On the exit of the turn onto pit row, I felt that my closeness to the track and the distraction that created was mitigated by the fact that there was ample run off room on the straight to correct a bad line through that turn.

Anyway, if I'm a distraction or if you'd prefer my position on the track was less intrusive, let me know.

LQ3
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
No didn't bother me.

Bueller
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Didn't ever bother me, I only take notice of people in the "kill zone", of course I've never really had a fixation problem.

dm_gsxr
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Since we're discussing rules and safety. Anyone have a problem with my positions on the infield today?

For the horseshoe I tried to stay well away from the track so as not to be a distraction. On the exit of the turn onto pit row, I felt that my closeness to the track and the distraction that created was mitigated by the fact that there was ample run off room on the straight to correct a bad line through that turn.

Anyway, if I'm a distraction or if you'd prefer my position on the track was less intrusive, let me know.

Actually I thought you were pretty unobtrusive. I didn't think you were close enough any time to be a distraction. I've usually been pretty good at not fixating though.

(Still looking for pics :D )

Thanks for coming out. I look forward to pics :D

Carl

Slo
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:41 PM
Will, I don't think you were a distraction but we should probably tell any newbies out there at the same time to not focus on you and not pose while riding by.

Dirk, lemme tell you that you carry yourself very well, not too many others would have done the same after what happened right in the heat of the moment. Heal up quick and let us know if theres anything we can help with.

As far as seperate sessions go, if it just happened to be a day with no go-cart rentals or personal carts, it would be fine but with cart sessions then us, we just aren't alloted enough time to run different skill/speed groups. So we will just have to do with what we have. I forgot my painters tape today for others but will start leaving it there at IMI with my canopy to let others use it.

See you all out there next time......got some video being uploaded. I will post in the pic/vid section.

PleasureTool
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
I just moved here and know nothing about IMI, but i've been to 10 or so track days at my old home track. How much does a track day like this cost? what are the bike tech requirements (i don't have anti-freeze, but no safety wiring or anything)? Is there an ambulance standing by incase of bad accidents? anything else i should know?
Doesn't look like taping lights/blinkers is required from the pics... but maybe should be suggested to keep the track clean, and to prevent people from concentrating on the brake light in front of them.

Slo
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
IMI is just a 1 mile track recently repaved. Cost 35 bucks to run it all day, but no rules besides needing a jacket and helmet. No prepping of the bike is required by them. No emergency vehicles waiting there either. It's just a very short tight course that is close to home for some of us, very convenient and still good practice.

dirkterrell
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:53 PM

No problem at all from my perspective. Anyone focused on somebody off the track has a (dangerous) concentration problem. As Dave says, you need to stay focused on what's in front of you.

Dirk

dirkterrell
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Dirk, lemme tell you that you carry yourself very well, not too many others would have done the same after what happened right in the heat of the moment. Heal up quick and let us know if theres anything we can help with.

Thanks man. Everything's cool. I learned a thing or two. I'll heal up and get back out there.

Dirk

krod
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:58 PM
Please don't stop in the middle of the track again:shocked:. Dave how about Tuesday and thursday nights? The weekends are getting to busy. The last few laps was the only time we got any practice in.

Shea
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
This a-hole on a gixxer1000 thought he would try to pass me unsafe in a corner and he ended up in the ditch. Maybe he learned not to try to pass the ol'Beavis LOL.

Maybe you could learn to let other people pass instead of riding like an ass...

I like how you call me an asshole for going down... Remind me to never ride anywhere near you...

Slo
Sun Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:36 PM
I didn't want to get involved since I have gotten to know the both of you, but Marty, I gotta say, that was uncalled for; the name calling, and this quote "Maybe he learned not to try to pass the ol'Beavis LOL".

Pretty disappointed here, when I saw Shea sprawled on the ground then try and get up disoriented, that wasn't funny in the slightest, as a matter of fact, it scared the sh*t outta me. The last thing we want is for anyone to go down, let alone get hurt.

green_zx7r
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Sorry to hear about all of the crashes... Heal up Dirk.

Remember guys, it's just a track day at a tiny go kart track. Take it easy out there. It's not a race to see who comes in first.

Yusuke

Timmay
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Dirk, sorry about what I did that made you crash, It was my first time on a track, and when sebastian went down right in front of me, it kinda freaked me out. I also want to make sure that he was ok, Hope that you heal up fast. I learned my lesson.

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Dirk, sorry about what I did that made you crash, It was my first time on a track, and when sebastian went down right in front of me, it kinda freaked me out. I also want to make sure that he was ok, Hope that you heal up fast. I learned my lesson.

No problem man. Like I said, I made mistakes too. We all were new to the track at one point. As others pointed out, keep moving. The last thing you want to do is stop on the racing line. When in doubt, gas it.

As for passing mentioned in other posts, remember that we're not racing out there. You want to stay focused on what's in front of you but you also ought to have enough situational awareness to know when someone is on your tail. If so, don't gun it on the straights (especially you guys on liter bikes :)) and let people go on by. None of us are trying to land MotoGP rides next season, so let go the pride of keeping someone from passing you. Let's respect each other and help each other become better riders.

Dirk

Dirk

Slo
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM
That's awesome Tim, being a newbie and manning up to a mistake/learning point in front of everyone here. Let me know if you ever need anything. My hat's off to you and Dirk.

Shea
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM
So what's the word on the shoulder Dirk? Collar bone?

Clarkie
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:20 AM
You want to stay focused on what's in front of you but you also ought to have enough situational awareness to know when someone is on your tail.

This causes problems, it is the rider who is making the pass that is responsible for making a safe clean pass, no rider should have to be aware of anyone or anything behnd them, they should be focused on the track in front of them

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:30 AM
This causes problems, it is the rider who is making the pass that is responsible for making a safe clean pass, no rider should have to be aware of anyone or anything behnd them, they should be focused on the track in front of them

I agree, however if you're going slow on the corners, because of the shortness of the back stretch, try to be aware of your own corner limitations, especially if you're a new track rider. Being slow and then wicking it up on the straight, keeps others behind you from making a safe pass. Especially if you're newer and still learning how to get properly set up for corners.

Carl

Clarkie
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM
If you think you are a better rider than the person in front of you then you should make a clean pass and move on, if you think the rider in front of you is in your way or you cant get past them, then you should pull off, wait 30 seconds and go back on track.

If you want riders to be aware of people behind them you are just asking for trouble, this is why Bueller said to tape your mirros up. There is a lot going on when you are on the track (especially on a short track like IMI) and 100% of the riders attention should be on what is in front of them.

90% of crashes happen because of a lack of attention from the rider, they miss their braking point, their turn in point etc and this can be traced back to the rider not being 100% focused on what they are doing.

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM

On a track with experienced people, I agree. But as I learned yesterday, you can't expect people to do the right thing out there. It's especially bad when there are as many bikes with inexperienced riders as there was yesterday. I'm definitely NOT talking about changing lines in a turn, just saying that people ought to let up a little on the straights and let faster riders by rather than forcing people to pass them in turns and then get freaked out by what they perceive as a dangerous pass which by racing standards is perfectly tame.

Dirk

rybo
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:51 AM
If you think you are a better rider than the person in front of you then you should make a clean pass and move on, if you think the rider in front of you is in your way or you cant get past them, then you should pull off, wait 30 seconds and go back on track.

If you want riders to be aware of people behind them you are just asking for trouble, this is why Bueller said to tape your mirros up. There is a lot going on when you are on the track (especially on a short track like IMI) and 100% of the riders attention should be on what is in front of them.

90% of crashes happen because of a lack of attention from the rider, they miss their braking point, their turn in point etc and this can be traced back to the rider not being 100% focused on what they are doing.

:imwithstupid:

One of the reasons I like trackdays is because they are very individual experiences. Once the helmet goes on the ONLY thing that matters is the next corner.

I'm a competetive guy, and it's always important for me to separate track days from race days. If I get fired up because some guy at a track day passes me, then I'm not there for the right reason that day and I need to take a break. If I'm worried that Clarkie is behind me and about to pass me like I shifted it into reverse, my attention isn't in the right place.

We've had a LOT of crashes this year, rarely is there an IMI thread where there isn't one. We've had a lot of crashes on the street this year too, and hopefully we'll get this thing turned around before someone gets really hurt.

s

Shea
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 09:37 AM
While all the posts have merit in them (IMO) there has to be an element of humility and courtesy to track riding. Yes, anyone could back off 30 sec, a minute or whatever from the rider but he/she will be back in the same situation again when they catch up again.

You can hear someone up on you and all you have to do is let them pass. It doesn't require looking behind you, mirrors or anything other then a modicum of "situational awareness" as stated previously.

We're all out there to have fun and learn. It's not a race or a competition to see who is the coolest kid on two wheels. You, your bike and your ego; leave one at home when you come out to the track.

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 10:06 AM
So what's the word on the shoulder Dirk? Collar bone?

Yep clean break in the middle of the clavicle:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/broken_clavicle.jpg

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM
You can hear someone up on you and all you have to do is let them pass. It doesn't require looking behind you, mirrors or anything other then a modicum of "situational awareness" as stated previously.

We're all out there to have fun and learn. It's not a race or a competition to see who is the coolest kid on two wheels. You, your bike and your ego; leave one at home when you come out to the track.

Exactly.

Dirk

SixnChange
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Yep clean break in the middle of the clavicle:

That's quite an x-ray, so are you a cast or anything? What do they usually do for those?

You can type, apparently..

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 11:27 AM
That's quite an x-ray, so are you a cast or anything? What do they usually do for those?

No, just a sling/brace for a few weeks. Just have to keep my shoulders pulled back like I'm standing at attention.

Dirk

Bat
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM
You can hear someone up on you and all you have to do is let them pass. It doesn't require looking behind you, mirrors or anything other then a modicum of "situational awareness" as stated previously...

Something that needs to be stated here...for inexperienced riders, just keeping the bike upright can be taking up all of their "situational awareness". There are cases where letting someone pass is the furthest thing from a person's mind. And it should be the furthest thing from their mind. Consider being in a corner thinking "holy shit, I just blew that line completely now how do I get out of this in one piece" NOT "oh gee, I hear someone behind me, wonder if they want by".

On a track with experienced people, I agree. But as I learned yesterday, you can't expect people to do the right thing out there. It's especially bad when there are as many bikes with inexperienced riders as there was yesterday. I'm definitely NOT talking about changing lines in a turn, just saying that people ought to let up a little on the straights and let faster riders by rather than forcing people to pass them in turns and then get freaked out by what they perceive as a dangerous pass which by racing standards is perfectly tame.

Key points here - inexperienced riders and you definitely can't expect people to do the "right thing". Define "right thing". The "right thing" for them may mean not sending themselves tumbling due to their inexperience. There is a good possibility they may not even know you are there.

And, FWIW, no one is "forced" to pass. You make a conscious decision to pass. And yet again, it is your responsibility to pass safely. If the person in front of you is slow and/or inexperienced they may not even know what the hell they are supposed to do to let you pass even if they know you are there.

Please keep in mind, I am not talking about asshats that are speeding up in the straights specifically so that people do not pass them. I'm just saying, there is a chance that some rider actions are being assigned to people that did not intend anything of the sort. It could be that they honest to goodness are pretty clueless. So help them out, don't get pissed or frustrated. Or fricking pull off until you can settle down. NOT MotoGP, remember?

Again, nothing personal to you two people...just trying to make a point.

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Please keep in mind, I am not talking about asshats that are speeding up in the straights specifically so that people do not pass them.

And I'm just thinking that they're trying to do the best they can in every situation on the track, especially if they're new (like me). I just wanted to raise the awareness of the newer, more inexperienced riders. No, don't watch behind or listen for pipes or anything like that. Just don't go WFO on that back stretch so others can get by safely. We're not all motogp riders and know what the best spot to pass is. To me, the best safest spot to pass is on that long straightaway at the back with the shorter straight in front of the pits being number two.

While you're not supposed to be paying attention, I do see riders in front of me looking back. I assume they're looking to see if someone needs to pass.

Carl

sky_blue
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Define "right thing".

Do not stop on the track, in the race line, while there are 30+ other bikes making laps right behind you.
Only tards should be wheeling the back straight.
Signal your track exit.Seems like some things should be obvious, track school grad or noob.

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Key points here - inexperienced riders and you definitely can't expect people to do the "right thing". Define "right thing". The "right thing" for them may mean not sending themselves tumbling due to their inexperience. There is a good possibility they may not even know you are there.

Please keep in mind, I am not talking about asshats that are speeding up in the straights specifically so that people do not pass them. I'm just saying, there is a chance that some rider actions are being assigned to people that did not intend anything of the sort. It could be that they honest to goodness are pretty clueless. So help them out, don't get pissed or frustrated. Or fricking pull off until you can settle down. NOT MotoGP, remember?

The first paragraph is the point I learned. People with racing experience can safely make assumptions about what similarly experienced riders will do in a given situation (like not stopping on the racing line). That was one mistake I made: assuming what someone would do when I didn't know their experience level.

I agree with you about being positive and supportive to less experienced riders and I have helped a few people out there. I think some of them might even be willing to publicly say so. http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gifI have always offered to help newer riders out,even going out on weekdays when it's quieter.

So, I'm not angry and bitching. That's not really my nature to begin with. Lessons were learned and we've progressed a little bit.

It's difficult to know what to do about hooking up less experienced and more experienced riders. My approach when starting out was to ask the more experienced guys for help and they almost always obliged. But I can understand the reticence of inexperienced riders to do so out at IMI. I wonder if there is a more "structured" way to do it like having a table set up with a "Track Riding Information" sign that is manned by a few experienced riders who are willing to spend some time and a ride session or two working with the newcomers. I would be more than happy to do so. I have suggested one-on-one pairings like that several times in this forum but it didn't seem to attract much interest.

Your points are well taken and I agree with you about doing something constructive and not playing the blame game.

Dirk

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Signal your track exit.Seems like some things should be obvious, track school grad or noob.

Seems like but I know I didn't know that until Bueller told me that first time I came out. I would have figured it out just by watching others as they exited I'm sure, but it wasn't initially obvious to me.

I'm also trying to follow the example set by who I think are the more experienced riders like Bueller and Dirk (not to leave anyone out; there are others). I also ask for feedback so I can also set a good example. Feel free to pull me aside if I'm being an asshat or unsafe. I'd hate to have someones crash or injury on my mind because I did something stupid.

Carl

Shea
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Something that needs to be stated here...for inexperienced riders, just keeping the bike upright can be taking up all of their "situational awareness". There are cases where letting someone pass is the furthest thing from a person's mind. And it should be the furthest thing from their mind. Consider being in a corner thinking "holy shit, I just blew that line completely now how do I get out of this in one piece" NOT "oh gee, I hear someone behind me, wonder if they want by".

I can see your point Bat but let me add something. Even if you are inexperienced you need to be aware that you are on the track with 25+ other people of various skill levels. Some are faster then you, some are slower, but you need to be aware of all of them regardless.

My opinion though, is that if it takes you all your mental energy to keep the bike upright, maybe you should get some more seat time before you take it to the track... By the by, I didn't think anyone was anywhere close to being that bad on Sunday :)

...and certainly I am not perfect. After following this guy for two laps and having to get on my binders at every corner to keep from rear ending him, I got pissed that the person was actively preventing me from passing and I took a line I shouldn't have to get around him. And I paid the price for it. Live and learn...

konichd
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I wish IMI would outlaw sportbikes there, its just big enough for tards. I've heard about more accidents in the past 2 months than I care to hear about. IMI IS NOT A RACE TRACK AND IS TOO SMALL EVEN FOR 600's!

Its only a matter of time before IMI doesn't let bikes on there anymore. Nice fresh pavement getting ruined by people with little or no education will surley close down this practice track as an option. :(

Bat
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM
My opinion though, is that if it takes you all your mental energy to keep the bike upright, maybe you should get some more seat time before you take it to the track... By the by, I didn't think anyone was anywhere close to being that bad on Sunday :).

I disagree, I think the track is a darn near perfect place for newbies to get the seat time. Especially a cart track like IMI. Low speeds, lots of curves to practice on, good surface conditions, (I assume since the resurfacing), less distractions (cars, animals, etc.), etc.

I didn't mean to imply anyone was having quite that much trouble on Sunday but one never knows. Sometimes the "keep the bike upright" trouble occurs in just a few seconds. :shocked:

...and certainly I am not perfect.

Me neither. None of us are. Even those of us that like to think so. ;)

So, I'm not angry and bitching. That's not really my nature to begin with.

Oops, I didn't mean to imply that either. I meant if folks in general were losing control of their emotions then they need to exit the track and cool down. I know I had to the last time I was out there.

And I can vouch for your good nature from the coffeehaus at least. :)

Seems like some things should be obvious, track school grad or noob.

They aren't...sounds like Sunday being the recent example. :(

Bat
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I wish IMI would outlaw sportbikes there, its just big enough for tards. I've heard about more accidents in the past 2 months than I care to hear about. IMI IS NOT A RACE TRACK AND IS TOO SMALL EVEN FOR 600's!

Its only a matter of time before IMI doesn't let bikes on there anymore. Nice fresh pavement getting ruined by people with little or no education will surley close down this practice track as an option. :(

:idea: I think only 250s should be allowed on it! :doublefinger: :bananna:

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Oops, I didn't mean to imply that either. I meant if folks in general were losing control of their emotions then they need to exit the track and cool down. I know I had to the last time I was out there.

100% in agreement.

And I can vouch for your good nature from the coffeehaus at least. :)

Now that's what I'm really bummed about: not being able to ride up to the Haus on Thursdays to hang out with you guys for a few weeks. :cry:

Dirk

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Ok, I can remove myself from the mixture easily enough. I'll just ride the canyons instead.

Carl

rybo
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 01:28 PM

DK, I'm going to disagree with you a little bit here.

The problem at IMI isn't the hardware. I've learned a lot by riding my sportbike there. The problem is the temporarally attached "control unit" that sits in the seat. You can ride any size bike you want at IMI, have fun and be safe, as long as the rider rides with those two goals (have fun, be safe) I'll be the first guy to offer assistance to a newer rider out there as it serves both their and my interests. It make the environment safer for me and allows that person to have more fun.

As said by many others, IMI is not a suitable racetrack for motorcycles, but it does provide a valuable place for riders to improve their skills away from the distractions of traffic. I'd hate to see it get closed to bikes.

scott

konichd
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 01:32 PM
:idea: I think only 250s should be allowed on it! :doublefinger: :bananna:

I see our "Ninja 250 Cup" coming to fruition. :)

I just dread reading the boards on monday morning and hearing about all the crashes at IMI over the weekend.

Scott you are right, but unfortunately with the situation as it stands I'll never go out there. :( Ass-raming is for prisons, not for the track. I don't care for the high risk of IMI, its not worth it to me anymore.

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Ok, I can remove myself from the mixture easily enough. I'll just ride the canyons instead.

I sincerely hope that does not happen. We should all work to address the problems, not shrink from them.

Dirk

konichd
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 01:46 PM
This has nothing to do with rider level or experience. It has to do with respect, and the level of saftey thats becoming an issue with 30+ bikes on the track.

I honestly feel sorry for Bueller and Krod who are trying to dial in their tards (they actually race there!) yet have to put up with this shit. Its fuckin' pathetic and if it continues someone is going to seriously get hurt. :(

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I sincerely hope that does not happen. We should all work to address the problems, not shrink from them.

Dirk

I don't want to shrink from the problems but if there are folks (like Bueller) who need the time because they're actually racing on them then we're impacting on someone who _needs_ the track. I'm just out there learning how to ride better, playing, and socializing. I'd rather not distract those guys. Maybe I'll try some after work runs if that doesn't cause problems. I really want to learn and am enjoying myself but shouldn't be doing that to the detraction of the real racers.

There were an aweful lot of folks out there Sunday. That can't be good for folks training. Would you go out to the professional football fields and practice playing touch football while they're getting tuned up to play?

Carl

konichd
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I hope no one feels like I'm "calling them out" thats not what I'm intending.

I would like to take Shortcake out there to learn the basics of turning, braking, etc. in a safe enviroment but with all the problems out there lately I'll gladly make the trip to Pueblo where I know the proper track education has taken place.

For those of you that went down, I hope you have a speedy recover. :)

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I don't want to shrink from the problems but if there are folks (like Bueller) who need the time because they're actually racing on them then we're impacting on someone who _needs_ the track. I'm just out there learning how to ride better, playing, and socializing.

You pay the track fee like everyone else and have just as much right to be there. If this is an issue, let's work on a solution. I'd be happy to alternate the bike sessions so that sportbikes run one and tards/racers run the next. People always seem so quick to jump to all or nothing solutions. Let's see if we can work something out that benefits everyone before starting a profanity laced civil war. :(

Dirk

konichd
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Who's going to dictate these sessions Dirk? What if a non csc'er shows up and says "fuck it, I paid for track time so I'm going to ride whenever I want."

This issue has been brought up before and like it or not, nothing is going to come of it. If your willing to take on the task I commend you.

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I hope no one feels like I'm "calling them out" thats not what I'm intending.

I would like to take Shortcake out there to learn the basics of turning, braking, etc. in a safe enviroment but with all the problems out there lately I'll gladly make the trip to Pueblo where I know the proper track education has taken place.

For those of you that went down, I hope you have a speedy recover. :)

And I brought Rita out to learn her new bike but after watching a couple of laps, she was afraid to even venture out.

Carl

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Who's going to dictate these sessions Dirk? What if a non csc'er shows up and says "fuck it, I paid for track time so I'm going to ride whenever I want."

Maybe someone will and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. But I'd bet that such types will be in the minority. Everyone I've run into out there seems pretty level-headed. I'd bet that we could make it happen if we tried.

Dirk

konichd
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 02:20 PM
And I brought Rita out to learn her new bike but after watching a couple of laps, she was afraid to even venture out.

Carl

Exactly my point! IMI has turned from a practice track to a race track, which is unfortunate. Unless management from IMI step up to improve saftey measures and track operation all this talk is just a waste.

Bueller, Krod, Flip, and any other motard riders on the board, I hope future weekends are better for you and you guys can get the practice you want in order to do well in your races. :)

Filo
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Sorry to hear people crashed. I went on Saturday morning and it was me and two or three other bikes. I had time to dial in the new suspension, practice myself a bit, show someone some faster lines and still no one crashed. The point is this - maybe the problem isn't the people on the track or what they know. Maybe the problem is trying to get 30 people on the track. The small tracks at MMP (2+ miles) have a 70 bike load. Any more than that and it is too many bikes at one time. Maybe you folks should break up into smaller groups and go in the evening. Since it is summer time there is enough light to get in a few hours after work if you live within an hour or so of the track.

Also, as said before, if someone is riding poorly go up to them and offer to assist them during the break. Many times they don't even know they are causing problems.

konichd
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Maybe someone will and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. But I'd bet that such types will be in the minority. Everyone I've run into out there seems pretty level-headed. I'd bet that we could make it happen if we tried.

Dirk

Sorry but "level-headed" does not equal 3 crashes. Dirk, I've ridden with you before and your an excellent rider and group leader. Unfortunately your going to have people at IMI with little or no experience that will always hinder the progress your trying to make.

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Perhaps we can speak to the IMI folks as representatives of CSC and come up with a better plan. All these crashes aren't good. Set up a mini-track class that you have to attend before riding. If we work with the IMI guys, we can set a reasonable limit to the number of bikes on the track so it's not too many. I'd hate to have the track closed to sportbikes and I really don't want to impact on the guys who need the time. I also think sportbike riders need a place to ride so we don't end up in someone's grill. The place is easy for the northerners to get to at least and pretty inexpensive as I understand.

Carl

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Sorry but "level-headed" does not equal 3 crashes. Dirk, I've ridden with you before and your an excellent rider and group leader. Unfortunately your going to have people at IMI with little or no experience that will always hinder the progress your trying to make.

Maybe not. It's clear that a lot of people are inexperienced and willing to learn how to ride more safely. We can do something with them and that helps all of us. The asshats will be there but my position is that they are in a small minority, and maybe, just maybe, we can influence them in a positive way when the vast majority of riders view the sessions as less of a free-for-all and more focused on the needs and enjoyment of all riders. I'm willing to give it a try and I'm happy to take all of the shit that the asshats can dish out. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But maybe it will, and then Shortcake and Rita and Deb can get out there and enjoy learning the mechanics of riding safely. I'd really like to see alternating sessions with one-on-one pairings of newbs and experienced riders and one with experienced riders feeling comfortable riding at a faster pace knowing that someone won't, e.g., stop on the racing line.

Dirk

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Perhaps we can speak to the IMI folks as representatives of CSC and come up with a better plan.

I think we'd be better off trying to solve the problem among the riders first. Let's not give IMI anything else to do like keeping up with who has had a course or not. Remember, we are low priority to them economically speaking.

Dirk

sky_blue
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Seems to me that there are two distinct uses of the track for sportbike riders at IMI.

1. Basic Skills - Riders seeking to learn to operate the controls of their bike, and proper operation in turns. Intermediate riders looking to go a little faster than prudent on the street.

2. Kneedraggers - Intermediate riders trying to get a knee down. Fast riders looking to get faster on this tight techincal track. Haul ass motards.

Sunday we threw them all on the track together, and hoped nothing bad would happen. So when it's really crowded, maybe Saturday/Sunday only, why not run two different sessions? I know rental carts are IMI's priority -- but why cant there be scheduled rental times and scheduled bike times? Is IMI just not making enough $$ off us to care? Sunday it seemed like we spent a damn long time sitting around waiting for rental carts.

Filo
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I know rental carts are IMI's priority -- but why cant there be scheduled rental times and scheduled bike times? Is IMI just not making enough $$ off us to care? Sunday it seemed like we spent a damn long time sitting around waiting for rental carts.

IMI kart prices are:

$25 for 5 laps
$35 for 10 laps
$60 for 20 laps

Most people go for 10 laps. That is what they charge us for the whole day. Their thinking is the rental kart people are only there for 10 laps, we are there for the day, we can afford to wait. It is, after all, a kart track

suzinpink
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM
WOW... I can't believe everyone. I just have to say I had a blast.... I met some new people and that's always great for me. Ya, some people have things to learn as far as track ling-o... but didn't we all have FUN????
To everyone I just met... It was nice to meet ya. To all my ol buddies I haven't seen in a while... It was so cool to see ya again. Think I'll hit it next weekend too. Hey Jay... Sat or Sun????

Bueller
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM
WOW... I can't believe everyone. I just have to say I had a blast.... I met some new people and that's always great for me. Ya, some people have things to learn as far as track ling-o... but didn't we all have FUN????
To everyone I just met... It was nice to meet ya. To all my ol buddies I haven't seen in a while... It was so cool to see ya again. Think I'll hit it next weekend too. Hey Jay... Sat or Sun????
+1 for the most part. Nice to meet you too.
Sunday June 10th is round 4 of the Rocky Mountain Supermoto Series. Races are done by 1:30pm, but generally they let karts run for the first hour or so, since they were waiting. You can probably ride by 2:30 or so.

Filo
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Sunday June 10th is round 4 of the Rocky Mountain Supermoto Series. .

Yeah, the races. You guys should come out and watch us race. You can even visit the HSR pits and meet the riders! Like me! No autographs during the races, though.

Bueller
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Yeah, the races. You guys should come out and watch us race. You can even visit the HSR pits and meet the riders! Like me! No autographs during the races, though.
Yeah Filo has his race face on during these high pressure situations.
So you are gonna show? No sand in your panties?

mtnairlover
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Debating whether or not to chime in and my stubborn side won out. So, here goes...

I really, really, really want to spend some time out at IMI. I haven't been there since March, though. Now that I'm off for summer, I may venture out there during the week.

This has nothing to do with anyone, experienced, or not...it has to do with me. I want to practice, but would rather practice when there is a better chance for a whole lot fewer bikes out there. It doesn't have to do with me being worried about the rider behind me, either. I'm always focused on what's ahead. I just want the practice without canyon walls every now and then.:)

Those of you who are newbs, or know a newb to the track...maybe we could do a weekday thing? Just a thought.

Carlsbad
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM
ja, weekdays are nice - today there were maybe 8-10 bikes out there total, often only a few out at once, and sometimes you get the track to yoself. Think I'll continue to avoid the ole weekends there....

krod
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I have a great Idea...... all ya Fucks go to Pubelo.:violin:

Bueller
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:47 PM

:spit::pointlaugh::lol::horse:

krod
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Except all you good looking female riders who came out to play. You can ride in front of me any time :)

Bueller
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Is that why you let Filo stay in front of you for so long?

krod
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
He has a nice ass.:gay:

dillinger09
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
i seriously doubt the people at IMI are gonna stop bikes from going out there, they need the money. the slow newbs are not the ones tearing up the track. they opened up the track too early after the repave.

i will say, coming from only doing nesba and TPM run trackdays, i was shocked at the lack of organization, but accidents happen............especially when you are cramming 30 (so i heard) riders on that tiny track all at once.

the only solution to help the racers would be to run diff. sessions........which i think will be diff. to accomplish, but def. worth a try. i think the wrong thing to do would be to talk newb's out of going to that track. its a great learning tool and a hell of a lot safer than learning on the streets. so lets all make an effort as a group to run sessions. non racers first to lay down some rubber for the racers next. 10-20 min. sessions. hell, we could even post some rules at the track or something of the like.

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Debating whether or not to chime in and my stubborn side won out. So, here goes...

I really, really, really want to spend some time out at IMI. I haven't been there since March, though. Now that I'm off for summer, I may venture out there during the week.

This has nothing to do with anyone, experienced, or not...it has to do with me. I want to practice, but would rather practice when there is a better chance for a whole lot fewer bikes out there. It doesn't have to do with me being worried about the rider behind me, either. I'm always focused on what's ahead. I just want the practice without canyon walls every now and then.:)

Those of you who are newbs, or know a newb to the track...maybe we could do a weekday thing? Just a thought.

Maybe there should be a local "Femmoto" day. Rita'd like to go and it sounds like there are a few other like minded ladies. I'll be an umbrella guy :slappers:

Carl

mtnairlover
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM

I think this f'n girlie newb will not be going to the track when you are there, even if ya do wanna watch my fat ass attempt to learn the line.:turtle:

:p:doublefinger:...oh...and :lol:

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 09:31 PM
i seriously doubt the people at IMI are gonna stop bikes from going out there, they need the money. the slow newbs are not the ones tearing up the track. they opened up the track too early after the repave.

i will say, coming from only doing nesba and TPM run trackdays, i was shocked at the lack of organization, but accidents happen............especially when you are cramming 30 (so i heard) riders on that tiny track all at once.

the only solution to help the racers would be to run diff. sessions........which i think will be diff. to accomplish, but def. worth a try. i think the wrong thing to do would be to talk newb's out of going to that track. its a great learning tool and a hell of a lot safer than learning on the streets. so lets all make an effort as a group to run sessions. non racers first to lay down some rubber for the racers next. 10-20 min. sessions. hell, we could even post some rules at the track or something of the like.

I don't usually last longer than 2pm. Maybe there can be a split day, where half the group can go in the mornings and half in the afternoons, switch with Saturday/Sunday (so learning with experienced folks helping in the mornings on Saturdays and afternoons on Sundays and the more experienced on Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings).

Just a thought.

Carl

mtnairlover
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Maybe there should be a local "Femmoto" day. Rita'd like to go and it sounds like there are a few other like minded ladies. I'll be an umbrella guy :slappers:

Carl

Ooooo...local Femmoto? But, ya know, no one would want us girlies to take up the track...maybe we need to do a fundraiser and rent the dern thing for the whole day, so we don't have to contend with "others".

I also like the umbrella guy bit...hmmm, oh Scott....?

krod
Mon Jun 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Come on now I was just playing around :puppy:

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Yes, I know.

I was trying to convey what others might be thinking when someone makes a comment like that, though. I truly want to get my tired old arse out to the track, but would rather do that on a day when it isn't so crowded. I'm not so newbish that I don't understand the "rules" of the track, but like I said, I've only had one day on the track...so, I needs lotsa practice.:)

ChaiOnKaw
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I need lots of practice too, Kathy, and after watching those guys on Sunday, it would HAVE to be during the week! I can go any day but Wednesday and would be happy to meet you up there. - Rita

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Welcome aboard Rita! Glad you ventured on here. I'll let ya know more info on my available days. Sending a PM so we can share info.:)

dm_gsxr
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Welcome aboard Rita! Glad you ventured on here. I'll let ya know more info on my available days. Sending a PM so we can share info.:)

Actually I think she's already on here but new bike, new account :D

Carl

suzinpink
Tue Jun 5th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I think a girl day is a bad idea. I like riding with the boys.... more competitive i guess. I was thinking about going this weekend too, but economics might prevent me. Anyway, I think rules should be posted somewhere so that people have the chance to do right... I mean if you're a new-b, how ya supposed to know? Be a psychic? Most people I know that ride out there are 'good peoples'... (few exceptions come to mind.... another topic all together). Maybe there could be a designated regular who people can talk to.... or something....? I dunno. Just thinking. Oh, and Carl, no staring at my heiny.... got my avatar for that! LOL