PDA

View Full Version : Frame slider installation and drilling

HDave
Fri May 21st, 2004, 10:02 PM
Anyone installed frame sliders that needed the fairing drilled?

I want to put on a set, but it will require the 2" hole on both sides. I found a tutorial online tht makes it sound easy. Is it?

Thanks Dave

macktastic brake grabber
Fri May 21st, 2004, 11:34 PM
it is quite simple . first install a bolt into where the frame slider is going to attach. then put playdoh, silly putty, modeling clay, something of this sort on the inside of the fairing install fairing, remove fairing. the putty will have an indentation where the bolt head is . that is where you drill a small pilot whole . then use duct tape to cover the area where you are going to drill the two inch whole. this will prevent the area around the two inch whole from scuffing. then simply drill the two inch whole with a hole saw. and you are done except of course installing the slider itself. i did this and it came out perfect.

mack (hole punchin fool) brake grabber

HDave
Sat May 22nd, 2004, 06:24 AM
Sounds easy.

I'll get'em ordered and start drillin!

Thanks!

dgoldan
Sat May 22nd, 2004, 03:05 PM
Really easy. Mine came out looking like a factory molded hole. Used the modeling clay on the back side, drilled a pilot hole, then taped the outside with masking tape. Drilled the 2" hole and sanded the edges with some 220 grit sandpaper to smooth it out. Mine even had to overlap one of the plastic mounting bolts, but came out looking great anyway.

Let me know if you need some more guidance.