PDA

View Full Version : Free Fiberglass class?

wulf
Sat May 22nd, 2004, 09:15 PM
Anyone wanna learn how to do fiberglass repairs on their bikes?

i've been doing my glass work and teaching one guy in my complex, and i just thought if anyone else wanted to learn how to do fiber glass repairs and primer on fairings.

Anything from chunks missing to cracks.

If you're interested, post up.

BATMAN
Sat May 22nd, 2004, 09:25 PM
I am interested. Email when you have a date set. bikeguy0@hotmail.com

Thanks dude :)

onef
Sat May 22nd, 2004, 09:33 PM
count me in

BigE
Sun May 23rd, 2004, 07:33 AM
Can you give instruction on how to make a rear hugger from scratch?

irdave
Sun May 23rd, 2004, 09:51 AM
I'd be up for some of that, too.

wulf
Sun May 23rd, 2004, 11:14 AM
wow, i'm surprised about this much response already.

Please understand this, I am not trying to take buisiness from our sponsors, this is for Do It Yourselfers, it will take more time than any body shop, but it will be cheap, using very few tools.

BigE, yeah, i could probly build one frome scratch, you'd need to find something with the contour you want for the actual fender part, to get the curve right. A tire would work great. Also, bring your bike so i can see how it needs to mount. We can get you started at the "class" then you can take it from there.

It will be held at my garage, there's plenty of parking for cages and bikes.

If you just wanna watch and learn, you're welcome to, if you have something to be repaired you need to bring your own materials.

I will be showing how to repair 2 missing chunks, and various cracks on an FZR 600 upper and right fairing, thanks to my friend dropping it in the parking lot.

I will also show you primer work for when you get to that point (very easy, once you know how).

I will try to set this up like a cooking show where you have various stages already done, no one wants to hang out and watch it dry.

No date as of yet, i didn't really think anyone would be interested, so i gotta prepare (clean garage)

Materials: All can be found at Home Depot, which i live NEXT to.

A chair, i only have 2 in the garage.

Gloves, disposable latex or kitchen gloves (not neccesary, but fiberglass resin is smelly and sticky)

A clean container that you don't care about (cut open pop bottle for example) and stir stick (popsicle sticks, screwdriver)

Plastic, empty blister packs work great (any plastic that feels like pop bottle plastic) fiberglass resin will not stick to this if you are re creating a section.

Duct tape, to hold the plastic.

fiberglass mat (you don't need much, if you're doing little repairs i can provide it.)and fiberglass resin (NOT Plastic body filler, actual fiberglass resin) both will have a picture of a boat on it somewhere.

you will have to let your project dry at this point.

Coloradoray
Mon May 24th, 2004, 09:56 AM
I'm interested also. I have several cracks in my plastic that need repairing.