PDA

View Full Version : Noise Ordinance in Denver Passed

GregsGSXR
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I guess this applies to us as well. 80db Is the same as a lawnmower or a blender.

http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/local_story_155214432.html

Shea
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 08:36 AM
I guess this applies to us as well. 80db Is the same as a lawnmower or a blender.

http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/local_story_155214432.html

Only if I take my bike to Denver. And since a $500 fine is not really something I look forward to I don't think I will spending any time there... :)

Brizz
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I dont understand why this topic is in this section. What does it have to do with canyon carving, if the topic is about denver?

GregsGSXR
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Just FYI. People come from all over to hit the canyons and it might be nice to avoid a $500 ticket getting there. Maybe go around instead of through Denver.

PhL0aTeR
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I usually avoid denver at all costs anyway..... but i gotta be there fri and sat for stupid traffic school... DOH

Timmay
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 12:11 PM
It actually does not go into affect until, July 1st. I think they will probably be really strict at first, and than they will get more lack on it like the window tint law.

Carlsbad
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 12:44 PM
cracking down on GDF-ing harleys and shitheads who like to drive above 10K rpms on rice rockets sounds like a great idea to me.

I don't see how they will ever enforce this though.

Raptor
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I bet the thread for this topic on the local cruiser forums is waaaay longer than it is here.
In hindsight, I guess I'm glad I didn't rush to upgrade the cans.

G.

dm_gsxr
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM
cracking down on GDF-ing harleys and shitheads who like to drive above 10K rpms on rice rockets sounds like a great idea to me.

I don't see how they will ever enforce this though.

Sounds pretty easy actually.

*wooo* "pull over".

Officer visually examines the can and doesn't see a stamp.

"Here's your ticket for loud pipes".

Easier than pulling out a tape measure, counting off 25', putting the decible meter in position, going over to the rider and having him (or her) hit 3,000 RPM (or whatever the law asks for), "here's your ticket for loud pipes". Not to mention having to deal with certifications and calibrations and testing.

Sounds like a piece of cake really.

Carl

ChefQ
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 01:25 PM
So I have yet to see where you are to get tested and approved, Anyone?

dm_gsxr
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Do you mean the EPA stamp? I think it only comes on stock cans.

Carl

mclarke
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 01:48 PM
So when are they going to make use put some sort of roll cage around the bike, o wait better yet lets just take away any and all freedom to do anything.

Why don't they just seal us all in little boxes so people can stop bitching about everything

dm_gsxr
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 01:49 PM
You mean like this:

http://thekneeslider.com/images/motorcyclerollcage.jpg

:D

Carl

DeeStylez
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM
That really sux, hopefully I will be ok with the stock that I have on my bike now.

"Hopefully they will stay out of Denver,"

:pointlaugh: yeaaa right

Jason ON
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Stock cans for the past 25 years (since 1982) are supposed to meet the 80dB limit. It's aftermarket cans they're going for.

ChefQ
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I dont get caught for speeding, maybe I wont get caught for loud pipes. haha jk anyone got a stock can for a 2000 gsxr 750 potential trade for yoshi pipes
Stock one must have the stamp though. Then I will hollow it out and really be a loud a$$hole

MrTucker
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
relax boys - it's a $500 fine that gets dropped if the problem is corrected in a certain amount of time. Translation = if you get a ticket run home, but your stock pipe back on and have it inspected. Then there's no fine. For the Suzuki boys with bolt ons, this will be cake!

salsashark
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM
relax boys - it's a $500 fine that gets dropped if the problem is corrected in a certain amount of time. Translation = if you get a ticket run home, but your stock pipe back on and have it inspected. Then there's no fine. For the Suzuki boys with bolt ons, this will be cake!

Good thing I hung on to the stockers off of the 14!

rider955i
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 02:42 PM
This is retartded if I get pilled over for this pipe thing chances are they will probably find something else to bitch about as well. I hate Denver pd as it is. All they need is another excuse to make a pointless stop. Pretty soon they will be able to stop anyone they want to whenever they want to just like watercraft.

Spiderman
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Just hope they don't keep track of repeat offenders.

mclarke
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Ok lets break this down into time for yah.

Traffic stop for the loud pipes, im guessing 15-20 minutes.
Putting stock pipe back on, another what 15-30 minutes.
Inspection travel and inspection time, an 1 hour minimum
Goto court to get it thrown out, well with the denver court system, what like 4 hours?

So the total is now around 6 hours.... what fun! I don't know about you, but I have a hard time finding 1-2 hours a week to fit other stuff into, I guess if I wanted I could take it out of my riding time... o wait, then id be left with none, so why ride anymore?

Point is, PD have better things to do, if they don't, fuck go hang out on colfax or federal for awhile, I am sure something worthwhile will happen. All of the other public whimpering law makers should go jump off a bridge, this is a stupid law and costs everybody a lot of time because a group of people want it to be quiet in their little world. Tough.. grab a tissue and deal with it.

Devaclis
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I fucking hate loud pipes as much as I hate emo kids but it still should not be illegal. If it is a noise ordinance it should cover all noise sources. Lawn mowers, the god damn leaf blowers that are run at 7 in the fucking morning, jake brakes on large trucks, ghetto ass $300 cars with $4k in stereo equipment in them, son of a bitchin' screaming neighborhood kids, and that soon to be dead neighbors dog that constantly barks at 1 in the "for the love of all that is packing heat make it fucking stop!" morning!!!

JustSomeDude
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM

I don't think you can get your exhaust tested. Basically, you have to have the OEM muffler with the EPA stamp or you're up Shit's Creek (sans paddle). Additionally, I don't think it would've mattered even if you had sound data to back up your after-market muffler under the old law.

According to the Denver Municipal Code, Chapter 36, Noise Control, Sec. 36-8 Motor Vehicle Noise, (c):

"It shall be unlawful for any person or for the owner of a motor vehicle to modify or change the exhaust muffler, air intake muffler or any other sound reducing device in such a manner that the noise emitted from the motor vehicle exceeds the sound pressure levels as established in Table B of this section [which is 80 dBA at a distance of 25 feet - any RPM] or, is increased above the sound pressure level of the vehicle as originally manufactured. Muffler cut-outs, by-passes or other devices which increase sound pressure levels, or change the original manufactured exhaust system of any motor vehicle shall be considered a violation of this chapter."

Reference: http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=10257&sid=6

So basically, even if you had some sort of documentation verifying that you met the 80 dBA limit at a distance of 25', the officer could hit you for having a modified exhaust. And now - all they have to look for is an EPA stamp. Without it, you're screwed.

As an acoustical engineer I plan to perform a variety of sound level measurements on my motorcycle in the coming days. Assuming I meet the old 80 dBA criteria as set forth in the Denver Municipal Code, I will prepare a document stating such and store it in my glove box. However, that will pretty much only be used with begging and pleading in the event I get pulled over - since it won't really matter without the EPA stamp. I guess it couldn't hurt to have on hand though.

:dunno:

RF900guy
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 06:19 PM
The CS PD has been targeting bikes for the past couple of years under this same ordinance. I stopped riding the RF900 because it had a D & D can on it and I bought it that way from Colorado Powersports (in Castlerock) as I also didn't have the motorcycle endorsement on my license. I bought a stock Yamaha V-Max a couple weeks ago and it seams a little loud but it is bone stock.

I took a MSF course and as of a couple weeks ago received my M endorsement so I am legal now.

jermag24
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
This is so frustrating to hear, why does it have to be one group of people? If they're going to enforce it to reduce noise, include ALL types of vehicles. In Colorado Springs, they tried to nab ONLY sportbikes with aftermarket pipes, and were looking for Yoshi badges, etc... Everyone I knew just took off the badges, and seemed to get away with it. I just ordered a stock pipe off of Ebay, than I will cut a few inches off to make it look decent.

I see WAY more sportbikes with stock pipes than Harleys. Is that why there wasn't any sportbikes on the news video? I guess the cruiser guys (and immature sportbike guys) have ruined it for us.

Does anyone hear have a Decimeter to measure our pipes noise level?

swademaster
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM

Too bad you just pu the new pipe on the SV.

This wouldn't bother me, but I have to go through Denver to get to work. At least I still have the stock cans. If I have to, I will gut them and put them back on. I'll just wait until I get pulled over first.

phire1
Wed Jun 6th, 2007, 10:56 PM
hmm, how does that work when you buy a bike that has upgraded/aftermarket pipes...

A) already from the factory? (ie, 1098s, etc)
B) already from a used bike?

theres gotta be some way out in these cases...if not, anyone good at photoshop? :dunno:

BlueDog
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Sounds like it has affected any vehicle for a while now, not just bikes. Buddy has an old VW Beetle with the megaphone exhaust on it that puts the loudest harleys to shame and has yet to have a problem. Hopefully most cops will see it as a waste of their time. But I am screwed if they do enforce it, my superhawk idling with the Jardines is probably louder than they allow...

R1chie
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 05:45 AM
I think that it will be similar to here in CS. If you are not hammering the throttle or reving the engine or jackrabbit starts, you will not be producing obnoxious noise thus not drawing attention to yourself.

If you drive past a cop and are loud and or going fast and noisy, it will give them the a reason to pull you over to inspect. It is another way to control noise for those who are obnoxiously loud. IMHO. I don't like it but it is obvious that there is a problem with noisie vehicals and this will allow police to hit the worse offenders. I hope it actually affects the Harley riders, when they have straight through pipes, it is difficult for them at any throttle possition to control noise. I think sportbike with upgraded pipes are usually not straight through so don't produce as much noise or at least is controlable so they may not be at as great of risk. We will see I guess

pilot
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Guess I'll be taking it easy with the Stage Two exhaust on my car. Danged if it doesn't sound good going through the canyons of downtown Denver.

On another note, several areas of the front range are controlled by Denver (parks, etc.) Just be careful if your passing by one.

I wonder if the "sound" of the exhaust constitutes the invasion of Denver's boundary? Obviously, if the vehicle is on Denver property that would be an offense. But, what if you sit just outside of the boundary and rev it up? Do they have the right to cite?

Spiderman
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Just FYI. People come from all over to hit the canyons and it might be nice to avoid a $500 ticket getting there. Maybe go around instead of through Denver.Good point. :up: I've moved the thread to the General Discussion forum, but have left a permanent redirect in the Canyon Carving forum for just that reason. 8)

chesthing
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 10:23 AM

And that's exactly what this is about, the GD straight pipe fartin' Harleys. I've never heard a sportbike at redline that was half as loud as one of these POS's at 2,000rpms. We don't have anything to worry about. Actually I think it's about F'n time.

LightningRider
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Found on Craigslist, Thursday morning.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/346942181.html

Loud pipes save lives

The city and county of Denver has decided to pass a law that says they can now pull you over for loud exhaust, I hope no one truly believes this is about exhaust. This is an excuse for them to pull you over, that’s that… they want us to start losing revenue like ks nv because people don’t want to be hassled ,lets show them what a stupid and unjust law this is no gas bought by riders, no clothes bought by riders, no nothing bought by riders , we can make a stand we can make a difference . simper –fi….. the right to ride free.

I'd wager it's from the Hardley contingent.

Archangel
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM
So where is this stamp? Is it on the can, mid pipe, or headers? Either way, with all the under-tail exhausts, and fairings on most sport bikes, do I need to carry allen wrenches around with my bike to dismantle it at request? Just out of curiosity, I'll have to try and find it on my 600RR w/ stock exhaust.

Snowman
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I kind of would like to read some of those threads in other riding groups…
Can you tell I board.
Anybody got any links?

dm_gsxr
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,9788.0.html

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1884744

http://www.hdforums.com/m_1727966/tm.htm

http://www.sturgis.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?p=429962&sid=6964ca0989912889ea11944be4296d48

Just the ones I found or know of.

Carl

devon
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Just so you guys know, it has been illegal to have an aftermarket pipe on your bike (or car) in the entire state for quite a while.
Denver just made it more costly.
From the Colorado Revised Statutes 42-4-225:
"No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all of the requirements of this section." ... "Any person who violates subsection (1) of this section commits a class B traffic infraction."

It used to be illegal to alter your suspension too... but was deemed unconstitutional in 1995.
From CRS 42-4-233:
"No person shall operate a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under the laws of this state upon a public highway with either the rear or front suspension system altered or changed from the manufacturer's original design except in accordance with specifications permitting such alteration established by the department."

Muffler alteration,,... still illegal. Harleys.. sold with pipes that are too loud for city laws, but legal to have because they came from the manufacturer.

All-Labout-me
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Found on Craigslist, Thursday morning.

we can make a stand we can make a difference . simper –fi….. the right to ride free.

I'd wager it's from the Hardley contingent.

Who ever it was they aren't a Marine. No Jar Head would ever misspell "Semper Fi".

MrTucker
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Too bad you just pu the new pipe on the SV.

This wouldn't bother me, but I have to go through Denver to get to work. At least I still have the stock cans. If I have to, I will gut them and put them back on. I'll just wait until I get pulled over first.

It's cool, I live in lakewood and hardly ever ride in Denver County. Besides, the LV is fairly quiet when you're easy on the throttle. Simple fix: when you see a cop, go to 5th or 6th, run at 2k rpm's, then get back on it - no need to cry. I think it's more aimed at the HD guys that run straight pipes that pop ear drums...I hate those damn things :scream1:

salsashark
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Who ever it was they aren't a Marine. No Jar Head would ever misspell "Semper Fi".

:lol: that's what I was thinking...

Andiamó
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Just got this from the AMA:

New Denver Noise Law Allows Tickets for Having Aftermarket Exhaust Systems

PICKERINGTON, Ohio - The American Motorcyclist Association has expressed
serious concerns about a new law passed by the Denver City Council that
essentially requires all riders in the city to use only stock exhaust
systems on their motorcycles.

On June 4, Denver officials approved changes to the city's vehicle noise
ordinance that allow police to issue tickets to riders if their bikes don't
have a federal Environmental Protection Agency sound-certification label on
the exhaust systems. The new ordinance, which takes effect July 1, would
apply to all motorcycles made since 1982, which was the first year that
federal law required motorcycles sold in the U.S. to comply with EPA sound
regulations.

In practical terms, that means the bike would have to have the original
exhaust system installed by the manufacturer. Violators would have two weeks
to prove to a judge that they have fixed the problem or would be forced to
pay a $500 fine.

Previously, the Denver ordinance required all motor vehicles to pass a sound
test that set a limit of 80 decibels at 25 feet. That type of performance
standard remains in effect for cars and trucks, except that the allowable
limits have been raised. Under the new ordinance, vehicles with a gross
weight rating under 10,000 pounds couldn't exceed 82 db(A) at 25 feet, and
trucks over 10,000 pounds couldn't exceed 90 db(A) at 50 feet. Only
motorcycles would be subject to the EPA sound certification labeling
requirement.

"We understand the motivation for cities to pass laws controlling sound
levels from traffic," said Ed Moreland, AMA Vice President for Government
Relations. "But the approach being taken in Denver creates a special class
of enforcement that unfairly targets motorcyclists. Loud trucks and cars are
every bit as annoying as loud motorcycles, but only motorcyclists would be
subject to this new provision of the labeling law."

To understand the restrictions being imposed on motorcyclists, Moreland
asked car drivers to consider the impact if Denver city officials had
instead required stock mufflers on cars, making it illegal for Denver
drivers to buy replacement exhaust systems from companies like Midas or
Meineke.

"That would force everyone who drives a Ford to return to the Ford dealer
and get the exact replacement muffler every time their exhaust system wore
out," he noted.

The AMA's position on the new Denver ordinance got support June 7 in an
editorial in the Rocky Mountain News which stated: "As more than one critic
of the ordinance ... noted, it just doesn't appear ready for prime time."

Several years ago, the city of Albuquerque, New Mexico, passed a similar
certification ordinance affecting motorcyclists there. Motorcyclist groups,
included the AMA, worked with city officials for two years before that
provision was rescinded and the city went back to a performance-based sound
standard.

The AMA has a decades-long history of opposition to excessive motorcycle
sound, and has hosted national summits on the subject that have brought
together riders, manufacturers, aftermarket companies, law-enforcement
officers and government officials. Those summits have resulted in the
development of "
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=xzdc8acab.0.rn5d8acab.vw9ldxbab.28131&ts=S0252&p=ht
tp%3A%2F%2Fwww.amadirectlink.com%2Flegisltn%2FSoun d_Advice.asp> Sound
Advice," a document that represents the motorcycle community's response to
this contentious issue. Among the groups that have supported that effort is
ABATE of Colorado, which has issued a position paper warning riders that
they could face this kind of discriminatory enforcement because of growing
public complaints about traffic sound levels.

The AMA is contacting Denver City Council members in hopes of opening up a
dialogue on this topic before enforcement of the new law begins on July 1.

"We look forward to working with the Denver City Council to come up with a
more reasonable solution for dealing with excessive sound levels from
traffic," Moreland said. "Our experience has shown that there are a range of
approaches cities can take to this issue without imposing restrictive laws
on motorcyclists."

salsashark
Thu Jun 7th, 2007, 02:05 PM
sweet... the chewbacca defense in action!

http://www.needtovent.com/reviews/South_Park/Chewbacca_Defense/Chewbacca_Defense.jpg

That does not make sense!

counterfit zx10r
Sat Jun 9th, 2007, 11:12 PM
If the AMA is already on it and fighting it then I don't think riders like myself have to worry about it quite as much. By "people like myself" i mean ones who got a brand new bike with an aftermarket exhaust on it already direct from the dealer and that have to drive across denver to get to and from work everyday. If they do try to make this shit stand, I say we go to every club we can find and pick 1 night to just go tear ass all over down town with the mufflers completely removed from our bikes to show them how bad it could really be.

FortitudoX
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 03:15 PM
What ever happend to Land of the Free? Seriously, this is rediculous. I have an aftermarket pipe, its nothing too crazy but now any cop can pull me over at a dime and ruin my night?

There has to be worse crimes then loud pipes, and why is my tax money going to be used against me. Why don't we worry about more important things, like gun control, drugs, ect ect.

Priller_Nate
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Why don't we worry about more important things, like gun control, ect ect.

:bs: Got more than enough of that! How about making people pay for true crimes. A criminal isn't going to worry about a stinkin background check on a weapon he intends to use in a crime.

bluedogok
Sun Jun 10th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Muffler alteration,,... still illegal. Harleys.. sold with pipes that are too loud for city laws, but legal to have because they came from the manufacturer.
Harley's with the pipes from the factory comply with EPA/DOT regulations and sound levels, the dealers changing the pipes is no different than you or I changing the pipes. Officially the bike was delivered from the factory with compliant pipes and any alteration made by anyone takes the bike out of compliance.

FZRguy
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 01:16 AM
This was being discussed on Steve Douglas’ KOA show tonight. I called in to explain that I hate loud motorcycles, however, this ordinance discriminates against all motorcyclists, loud or not that don’t have stock exhaust. The host is a cop and he believes that if it stands as is, there will be a flurry of enforcement followed by little enforcement, unless you have an obnoxiously loud bike (Harley with straight pipes). Hopefully, a more sensible law will be passed with the help of the AMA

FortitudoX
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 01:37 AM
:bs: Got more than enough of that! How about making people pay for true crimes. A criminal isn't going to worry about a stinkin background check on a weapon he intends to use in a crime.

Priller Nate,

How are you going to quote me, call my quote B.S. and then delete part of what I said?

I'm not debating how a criminal is going to use his weapon, I'm stating that their are more important things out there, that are life threatening. This seems like they're giving a reason for cops to pull bikers over. And I hope that having loud pipes isn't considerd a true crime!

Brizz
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Hopefully, a more sensible law will be passed with the help of the AMA

+1

R1chie
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 06:27 AM
What ever happend to Land of the Free? Seriously, this is rediculous. I have an aftermarket pipe, its nothing too crazy but now any cop can pull me over at a dime and ruin my night?

There has to be worse crimes then loud pipes, and why is my tax money going to be used against me. Why don't we worry about more important things, like gun control, drugs, ect ect.

Gun control goes against the second amendment which is our right. In the home of the free, there is no greater importance than to make sure our government does not take away our rights. It amazes me the indifference people have to our rights. Driving a bike or a car is not a right, it is a privilege and when anyone uses loud exhaust it effects everyone. The reason they pass these laws is because people are inconsiderate (whether Harley or sportbike) when they offend everyone around them with loud noise. I do not like restrictive laws but because there are so many offenders. It does seem like revenue generation though (Though the only way to enforce this type of law is to hit you where it hurts, in your pocketbook). If the government made it illegal for manufactures to make them, they would not exist and the general population would not have them. Then the cops could target people who truly are offensive. Like smoking, they make laws against individuals as well as small business (that should be able to make those decisions themselves) and tell them they cannot smoke in places yet the tobacco companies are not even touched, seems like hypocrisy to me.

The fault though lies in those who offend others by putting on loud pipes and eventually we will see less offense.

Brizz
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 06:49 AM
The fault though lies in those who offend others by putting on loud pipes and eventually we will see less offense.
Not sure if i agree with you here Rich. I have my exhaust for looks not noise..And many ppl do the same as me. They do it for looks..So by doing it to offend someone, thats on the individual.

FortitudoX
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Gun control goes against the second amendment which is our right. In the home of the free, there is no greater importance than to make sure our government does not take away our rights. It amazes me the indifference people have to our rights. Driving a bike or a car is not a right, it is a privilege and when anyone uses loud exhaust it effects everyone. The reason they pass these laws is because people are inconsiderate (whether Harley or sportbike) when they offend everyone around them with loud noise. I do not like restrictive laws but because there are so many offenders. It does seem like revenue generation though (Though the only way to enforce this type of law is to hit you where it hurts, in your pocketbook). If the government made it illegal for manufactures to make them, they would not exist and the general population would not have them. Then the cops could target people who truly are offensive. Like smoking, they make laws against individuals as well as small business (that should be able to make those decisions themselves) and tell them they cannot smoke in places yet the tobacco companies are not even touched, seems like hypocrisy to me.

So you're telling me its our right to have a gun (which I agree), but its not our right to ride? Its our right to be free, which would also mean its our right to ride. It's not a privlidge.

So by your logic? Your dog barks at night, i find that offensive! Shall we make barking dogs at night illegal? Or how about your shirt has an offensive image! Shall we make certain t shirt companys illegal. Or how about I don't like the collor yellow, its bright and hurts my eyes how about we make yellow cars illegal? I don't like laws that target specific goroups of people.

As far as loud pipes, whats the worse that happens, you might get woken up in the middle of the night? I never have, but hell the wind wakes me up.

I wouldn't even mind a law that declares some pipes illeegal, but a law that makes every single aftermarket pipe illegal? Wtf? As mentioned above, i like my chrome pipe, it goes with my custom paint job. The stock pipe, is well bleh.

Oh and back to gun control, I never said you couldn't own a gun, but no offense I don't want crazies owning a gun, by right or not. This isn't the wild west either, chances are if you need a gun for protection its too late anyway. I just think things like the VT shooting, or that denver bronco shooting deserve a lot more attention then loud pipes. Yes I know we're not in VA.

Brizz
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Stupid ppl offend me...BAN THEM.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I fucking hate loud pipes as much as I hate emo kids but it still should not be illegal. If it is a noise ordinance it should cover all noise sources. Lawn mowers, the god damn leaf blowers that are run at 7 in the fucking morning, jake brakes on large trucks, ghetto ass $300 cars with $4k in stereo equipment in them, son of a bitchin' screaming neighborhood kids, and that soon to be dead neighbors dog that constantly barks at 1 in the "for the love of all that is packing heat make it fucking stop!" morning!!!

I couldn't of said it better Dana. If we're going after noise, then let's address all of it. Let's not discriminate. These yahoo's in their piece of crap cars cruising neighborhoods with their $4k stereo's shaking the hell out of my house...make them have to change out their stereo to "stock", that f'ing damn dog 3 houses away that won't stop barking at 1 a.m....make the owners put a damn muzzle on it, etc., etc.

I can see the point of the noise ordinance, but to isolate and enforce with bias as it appears they will be doing is not making much sense to me. Might as well say the seat belt law only applies to those that drive red import sedans. Everyone else you don't have to wear your seatbelts.

What a joke.

Suki
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM
ghetto ass $300 cars with $4k in stereo equipment in them, and that soon to be dead neighbors dog that constantly barks at 1 in the "for the love of all that is packing heat make it fucking stop!" morning!!!

:lol: we saw one of these broke down cars yesterday bumpin his ride, looked like one more bass hit and it was going to fall apart!

as far as the barking dog i'm with you all the way! Last week i hardly got any sleep because someone's stupid freakin dog kept barking non stop. sounded like it was from a house across quincy, but i'll be damned if i'm going to jump in my car at 1am and cruise the hood of Aurora looking for some stupid dog!

And what i dont understand is that if this dog and wake up and keep me up and i'm across quincy, how the hell is it that the owners or neighbors are not bothered by it. if it was one of our neighbors dogs, i'd be over there at 1am pounding on their door! if you're going to be out that night, put the dog inside!

i haven't gotten night of decent sleep in about 2 weeks, i'm ready to go Son of Sam on everyone!

back to the noise ordinance, since it doesn't apply to every type of noise, does it atleast apply to the harley bikes as well as sport bikes? i dont know anything about those bikes, but i'm assuming that the noise their bikes puts out isn't from an aftermarket pipe. so what do they do?

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM
1. The noise ordinance applies to everyone. Check the noise laws. 50/55db in neighborhoods for regular noises (leaf blowers, lawn mowers). 82db for vehicles under 10,000 lbs at 25', etc.

2. The new exhaust ordinance applies only to motorcycles. If you don't have the etched in EPA statement (valid for 80db, etc...), then you can get a $500/999 ticket whether or not you're moving.

Yesterday at the tech day, had we been in Denver and had that police car that drove by stopped, he could have simply walked up the line of bikes and any bike where he couldn't find that EPA statement on the exhaust, he could have written up a $500 ticket.

Again, the problem is that the police officers have to be trained and have to be supplied with legal decible measuring devices. Yea, you can go down to Radio Shack and pick up a cheap one for $20 but for one that has to stand up in court it has to be more expensive ($1000 I think I read). The officers also have to be precise in their measurements so likely have to be trained in how to properly use the device so any ticket will stand up in court.

So police officers can certainly be called out on nuicance problems; barking dogs for instance. But the folks with the $300 car and $4k stereo aren't likely to be pulled over, same with aftermarket piped bikes. Mainly because by the time the cops arrive, they're long gone. If the cop was sitting at a light, patrolling and not between incidents, he might pull someone over if they had loud pipes. Assuming the biker doesn't take off of course and then everyone's up in arms "you chased a biker because he had loud pipes!? Are you crazy?"

Which do you think would be an easier to prosecute ticket? No EPA sticker on your exhaust, or a decibal ticket where you have to deal with certification and testing of officers and expensive devices?

Carl

pilot
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 11:55 AM
So, it's going to take a few weeks to a month for all that "law" to make it to "policy" at DPD. Then, training for officers before they hit the streets. At least that is the way it normally works.

Anybody got a ticket yet?

Anybody talk to a friend who is DPD to get the inside skinny?

JustSomeDude
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Anybody got a ticket yet?

Hey Pilot - It is my understanding that it doesn't take effect until July 1. So we're all in the clear for a few more weeks.

Kanabiis
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 12:39 PM
This was being discussed on Steve Douglas’ KOA show tonight. I called in to explain that I hate loud motorcycles, however, this ordinance discriminates against all motorcyclists, loud or not that don’t have stock exhaust. The host is a cop and he believes that if it stands as is, there will be a flurry of enforcement followed by little enforcement, unless you have an obnoxiously loud bike (Harley with straight pipes). Hopefully, a more sensible law will be passed with the help of the AMA

Any law that becomes selectively enforced, or is not enforced at all is a worthless law, and should have never passed in the first place.

The fact that there are cops that openly admit to selectively choosing to do their job, or feel that they alone get to decide what law gets applied to which offender, is much scarier then this noise ordinance.

And the police question why they receive no respect from people these days...

pilot
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Hey Pilot - It is my understanding that it doesn't take effect until July 1. So we're all in the clear for a few more weeks.That sounds right. I seem to recall reading that a while back. Thanks.

FortitudoX
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'm just surprised the law is so broad.

I wouldn't be so offended if the law satated something like....

"500 dollor fine if aftermarket pipes found on a bike while the bike was riding through a residental area after 10 P.M." That atleast makes sense to me. It's how the law is( will be) enforced that bothers me.

I don't understand how my aftermarket pipe is unlawfull on a a mid day cruise through Denver on the highway. Chances are you wouldn't even notice it.

Another question, does this affect Colorado residents only? Or say some guy from Wyoming wanted to cruise through, would he get poped as well?

Priller_Nate
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Priller Nate,

How are you going to quote me, call my quote B.S. and then delete part of what I said?

I'm not debating how a criminal is going to use his weapon, I'm stating that their are more important things out there, that are life threatening. This seems like they're giving a reason for cops to pull bikers over. And I hope that having loud pipes isn't considerd a true crime!

I was simply wanting to harp on the needing more "gun control" portion of your statement, without bringing in the other parts, as I think we have more than enough as is. And your preaching to the choir with me regarding the loud pipes being ticketed. Stupidest thing I have heard for the cops to be allowed to do that especially at the fine they intend to impose!

FortitudoX
Tue Jun 12th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Ah allright I wasn't sure what you were implying. No worries, hopefully things will change, because I agree it is absurd.

dapper
Sun Jun 24th, 2007, 10:35 AM
For weeks, I have read different articles about the 'loud pipes'. This one tops my list for the mind-twisting abuse. (Today's paper 6-24-07)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i252/dapperr/DenPostLoudpipesjibberish6-24-07.jpg
"Motorcyclists would be a lot safer if their unnecessary show-off noise didn't make people want to run them over."

WOW...

It's wasn't me officer...the noise made me do it.:no:

Jobe
Sun Jun 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM
^ How old is that reporter? He looks like they pulled him out of the coffin for his portrait!

wulf
Sun Jun 24th, 2007, 05:11 PM
If the cops have to have decible meters to prove their case, why then can they get away with writing speeding tickets based on their estimated speed?

It has held up in court that a traffic officers' eyes can be the definition of your speed, no radar/laser or whatever is needed.

I have a feeling this is going to be a one sided fight.

Quite honestly i agree with the law. Above 80db is within range to damage hearing, when you are injuring other people with your actions, you should be controlled.

tripledigits
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 06:42 AM
There are some problems with enforcing an 80 db sound limit.

The first is the sound meter. You point the meter at a bike going by, and it comes up with a sound reading. The problem is that the meter hears all the other noise as well as the bike. If there's a train nearby, it's part of the reading. Wind, other vehicles, aircraft all add to the equation.

I doubt that stock cans on a sport bike would pass the 80 db test at WOT anyway. My Gixxer 1000 with a Yoshi can, not one of the louder cans, consistently is measured in the 90 to 92 range.

I would think that if you ever went to court and brought up the ambient noise argument, the judge couldn't make the db part of the offense stick. Getting a ticket just for an aftermarket can opens up a whole new set of problems. If bikes can't have them, why should cars be exempt? Again, I don't think any of this will stand up in court in the long run. The entire aftermarket auto parts industry will unite against a law forcing motorists to use stock exhausts.

Any attorneys here who would like to take this new law to trial??

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 25th, 2007, 07:13 AM
There are some problems with enforcing an 80 db sound limit.

The first is the sound meter. You point the meter at a bike going by, and it comes up with a sound reading. The problem is that the meter hears all the other noise as well as the bike. If there's a train nearby, it's part of the reading. Wind, other vehicles, aircraft all add to the equation.

I doubt that stock cans on a sport bike would pass the 80 db test at WOT anyway. My Gixxer 1000 with a Yoshi can, not one of the louder cans, consistently is measured in the 90 to 92 range.

I would think that if you ever went to court and brought up the ambient noise argument, the judge couldn't make the db part of the offense stick. Getting a ticket just for an aftermarket can opens up a whole new set of problems. If bikes can't have them, why should cars be exempt? Again, I don't think any of this will stand up in court in the long run. The entire aftermarket auto parts industry will unite against a law forcing motorists to use stock exhausts.

Any attorneys here who would like to take this new law to trial??

1. The new limit is 82db to be aligned with the EPA requirements.
2. The EPA requirements have been a federal law since the mid 80's
3. The new law in Denver (or ordinance) is that the exhaust on your motorcycle must have the EPA label indicating it passed the federal 82db law.

I would think that if they wanted to try and enforce the federal law of 82db, they'd id your vehicle as being loud and then pull you into a parking lot for testing. In fact, that'd probably be the best way. Set up a testing stand in a big parking lot (like Wal*Mart) and randomly pull in vehicles for testing like they did in the 70's in California (and still might).

Carl

puckstr
Fri Jun 29th, 2007, 11:29 AM
weird thing my Carbs are louder than my cans....GRRRRRRRrrrrrrr
Also I do not see any db stamp on my exhaust, yes it is stock.
I want to change to a 4 to 1 Laser unit for a deeper tone.

I guess it is a good thing (the ordinance) to crackdown on the Harleys.

I had a 78 Honda CB750k with 4 to 1 and NO Baffel than made Harley guys weep... so freaking loud, my neighboors hated me.

dapper
Fri Jul 27th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Yes!
If you have the EPA info on your bike's muffler, no worries.

greenramp
Fri Jul 27th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Does the ordinance apply to I-25 through Denver?

dapper
Fri Jul 27th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Denver City and County ordinance. I-25 travels through Denver, right?
Keep your bike in a higher gear and you should be fine.

Brat
Fri Jul 27th, 2007, 03:43 PM
i rode through the denver area sunday, and i asked a person who lived up there about the ordinance. bc my bikes loud, and i had to pass a cop on the way tomy destination. she said that as long as im not riding like a fool the police seem to be lenient. are you locals seeing this? or are they just hitting up all bikes they can see/hear.?
Brat

Jason ON
Sat Jul 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM
In case you want to go to Glendale, I asked and this was me response:

Hi, Jason, our Glendale code is consistent with the state’s code. Denver’s new ordinance is more restrictive (as you know!) and only enforceable in Denver.

There are no plans to make changes in Glendale. Please spread the word and be safe!

Larry Harte
Mayor
City of Glendale

arcatacat
Sat Jul 28th, 2007, 08:10 PM
There was a story about this on Colorado Matters on NPR on July 25th.

The following link should start the audio version of the story.

http://www.kcfr.org/cgi-bin/comatters/comatters_play.asx?play=3291&type=comatters.asx

pf702
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
simple solution to this problem...don't ride in Denver....or get your aftermarket pipe stamped !!

dm_gsxr
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Yea I know, a little old but Ritchie brought it back up :)

As far as loud pipes, whats the worse that happens, you might get woken up in the middle of the night? I never have, but hell the wind wakes me up.

Generally I don't either however over the weekend some pinhead at 2am was riding around the neighborhood. Heck, if it happens just once as he's leaving or coming home it's not such a big deal although I'm annoyed by it. This yahoo was blatting in, up the street, back down the street, around behind me on the other street, out on the main street for two fricking hours. Damn sportbikers (he was on a yellow sportbike; couldn't make out what it was though).

I wouldn't even mind a law that declares some pipes illeegal, but a law that makes every single aftermarket pipe illegal? Wtf? As mentioned above, i like my chrome pipe, it goes with my custom paint job. The stock pipe, is well bleh.

No one said you couldn't have chrome pipes. Just do what they did back when chrome first was catching on. Find someone who chromes stuff and send him your pipes. He'll chrome them up and send them back. The aftermarket folks just found that there was sufficient business to justify selling chromed pipes. (Heh, I remember articles in Easyriders back in the 70's where folks were sending in bike parts to get chromed and finding out that some things are too thin to chrome.)

Carl

BrokenR1
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Wouldn't this only apply to Denver residents that have vehicles registered there?

Bueller
Mon Sep 17th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Wouldn't this only apply to Denver residents that have vehicles registered there?
No, you ride in Denver you are subject.

honda919
Tue Feb 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
does this apply to people that just travel through colorado?

honda919
Tue Feb 5th, 2008, 06:05 PM
cancel that comment i am an idiot

usmcab35
Wed Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
guess i wont ride thru there anymore, my hollowed out stock can might be a tad to loud, but it does sound sweet....

ElCid
Wed Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
loud pipes save lives.

this is the dumbest law :banghead:

FZRguy
Wed Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Your brain will save your life. Loud pipes give all motorcyclists a bad rap.

grafix
Wed Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
loud pipes save lives.

this is the dumbest law :banghead:

I have to agree with Cid, Im from Ohio and I have talked to many sportsbike enthusiast out there about stock vs aftermarket. Stock exhausts are soo quiet compared to the aftermarket ones, that people cant tell when they are in thier cars listening to god knows what kind of music and have thier windows up. They pull out infront of us poor bikes that are just crusing along becuase they dont take a second to look both ways. With a loud pipe, people can usually hear you coming. I have yet to have a jack ass pull out infront of me, or try and sideswipe me. However if the loud pipes dont work, I heard of guys that put thier foot in the side of the persons car that is about to sideswipe them and heard that works pretty well :lol:

We have a sound ordinance too, usually if you drive by the cop at a fairly low rpm (like 6th gear) they dont do anything, but if you are in 2nd or 3rd gear and riding at a steady 8k+ rpm they are going to tag your ass.

This sucks for me tho because I just moved here from OH and currently am living in boulder, but will be moving downtown in a month. I have a Akropovic slip on instead of the stock pipe on my bike. I guess I can pick up a stock exhaust on ebay for 50 bucks since mine is back home in OH.

FZR you are also correct, but i think that people with loud pipes that ride like jack asses give motorcyclists a bad rap.

DARK ANGEL
Wed Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
My rc has jardine race pipes on, ive ridden by many many cops in downtown (i work there too) BUT i do keep it cool and collected under 3k rpm and it just nicely hums along never been bothered... sometimes ill pull in the clutch and coast past em..

Moveman
Sat Sep 6th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Ive never had a problem riding down town at any RPM.. an just the other day I had the chance to chat with a denver bike cop about the law, an he said that they are olny enforcing it to those riders that cruz up an down the lodo streets reving there bikes an riding like ass holes on fir/sat nights.. so if that's not you then you should not have a problem..

keshtak
Wed Dec 24th, 2008, 06:44 PM
All the complaints I've heard have been about loud ass pipes on twins...the deeper sounds seems to penetrate buildings better and generate more of em... whether its a D16RR or a Harley doesnt matter.

Stank Juic3
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM
My bike is crazy loud with the 2 Bros never been pulled for it!

Mother Goose
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Wow, I'm sure glad we bump this once a month. :banghead:

dm_gsxr
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 12:38 PM

I wasn't going to say it :drink:

Carl

rforsythe
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM

I'm sure there is some reference to Big-J's mom that can be made here...

Mother Goose
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Bump, not hump! ;)

Speaking of Big-J's mom and noise ordinances.... I had to put a muffler on her last night cause the Denver PD was about to give us a ticket for breaking the noice limit. Bitches.... :no:

Matty
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
lol.

Sortarican
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 01:11 PM
http://www.w3bdevil.com/forums/Thread-Crap-Wont_Die.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/102/threadnecromancyns1nf0.jpg

Devaclis
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 01:23 PM
^^what release is that?

Is it Antiquities or Arabian Nights? How come there is no tap symbol on it? It is an instant or an interrupt or just a sacrifice for effect card?

MetaLord 9
Tue Jan 27th, 2009, 01:25 PM
^^what release is that?

Is it Antiquities or Arabian Nights? How come there is no tap symbol on it? It is an instant or an interrupt or just a sacrifice for effect card?
^^ Geek Overload, Exhibit A

lightspeed
Fri Feb 13th, 2009, 09:36 AM

It needs to be bumped..as bikers need to know that the 500 dollars they were planning to spend on mods could be going right to the city:cry: if they are the wrong mods...

We are slowly moving to the "Land of the Free (as long as the freedom is DICTATED to you by your King), Home of the Brave (but if you get too brave and step out of the herd for too long...Your gubment will swiftly put you back in said herd)

Oh and does this ordinance pertain to home invasion? If someone breaks in my apartment to steal my bike..and I let my mossberg loose:shocked:, will I get a ticket for breaking the noise ordinance...cause one shot is certainly more than 100db

Orange Crush
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I asked a state trooper yesterday about it, and he said that this is one of those things to be worry about in the mountains. In the city they are not that picky. I don't know anything about it therefore don't shoot the messenger.

dm_gsxr
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I asked a state trooper yesterday about it, and he said that this is one of those things to be worry about in the mountains. In the city they are not that picky. I don't know anything about it therefore don't shoot the messenger.

WTF? Dude, that makes no sense. It's a Denver ordinance. The cop was jerking your chain or just plain ignorant.

Carl

Mother Goose
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM
And thanks for bumping this! :banghead:

YZFRydn
Wed Mar 11th, 2009, 10:51 PM

State Trooper can give you a ticket for having an after market pipe that isn't DOT approved.

Not only can Denver stick you with a fix it ticket, if you have a loud pipe you're getting an extra $500 stuck on you.

Orange Crush
Fri Mar 13th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Well, sorry guys. I don't know much about things, that's why I asked. Believe me, I had the best intentions. I have no idea how it goes. I at least learned not to ask this questions in the future. Sorry again.
Best Regards,
Newt.

*TNT*
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Well, sorry guys. I don't know much about things, that's why I asked. Believe me, I had the best intentions. I have no idea how it goes. I at least learned not to ask this questions in the future. Sorry again.
Best Regards,
Newt.

Don't be sorry Bro :). We all learn lots of things by asking. You know I've been riding for a while but every single time I log on I learn something out of the Forums...so good luck to ya :slappers: !!!

Slo
Wed Mar 25th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I still haven't had any issues with my bike in Denver, and it's a little on the obnoxious side, I just don't act like an A$$ on the street.

Casper
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I for one am quite glad this kept getting bumped, because as I just moved to Denver, I have a handy 2-year history on people's experiences with this law, since it got implemented. Respect the bump!

btw I read somewhere else on them inner-nets that (sorry, I dont recall where) that these tickets, if written, were largely getting thrown out in court. Can anyone speak to that?

GregsGSXR
Wed Apr 29th, 2009, 01:00 PM
In these times this would be an excellent revenue generator.

Oldschool
Thu Jul 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I still haven't had any issues with my bike in Denver, and it's a little on the obnoxious side, I just don't act like an A$$ on the street.

I have to agree with this. With the slew of modified bikes i have ridden, if you keep the R's low, then the fuzz will generally leave you alone. http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

chanke4252
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 03:53 AM
didn't they already try something like this but throw it out because cop cycles couldn't meet the ordinance, or am I thinking of something else?

BHeth
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 06:27 AM
OK, so this thread is 2 years old with 5000 views.

Has anyone actually gotten a ticket or know anyone who has? Or was it all just a lot of bullshit and hype?

Matty
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 07:21 AM
OK, so this thread is 2 years old with 5000 views.

Has anyone actually gotten a ticket or know anyone who has? Or was it all just a lot of bullshit and hype?

Got stopped in Denver about 4 days ago. My new bike along with Temp Plates has a ridiclously loud ass M4 Full system.The officer just wanted to see if i was the registered owner. He made no comments on my exhaust.

Like it's been said beofre. If you're not being an ass-hat and rev'ing your motor at every red light or trying to get attention of some female, you'll be fine.

TheStig
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I thought I had to rev it at every light to keep it from dying!? Dang all those hoochies must have been laughing at me then!!!!!

Mother Goose
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Again?? Really??

salsashark
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I thought I had to rev it at every light to keep it from dying!? Dang all those hoochies must have been laughing at me then!!!!!

Hate to break it to you man, but now that you have the S3, the "hoochies" won't pay any attention to you...

You've moved up in the world from the Gixxer Groupies!

BHeth
Fri Jul 10th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Like it's been said beofre. If you're not being an ass-hat and rev'ing your motor at every red light or trying to get attention of some female, you'll be fine.

I'm not an ass-hat. You are not an ass-hat. But Denver is full of fucking ass-hats. There are hundreds, at least. Maybe thousands. That doesn't even count the ass-hats who just pass through Denver at 10,000 RPM. I just wanna know where the tickets are.

You know if some ass-hat got a ticket for loud pipes they would be out here, or somewhere else, bitching up a storm.

MrFreeze5
Tue Aug 18th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I live smack dab in the middle of denver and this kinda sucks. My FZR has a 07 R6 shorty can on it(with EPA stamp) but it is pushing the limit of the sound level. The can itself isnt that quiet since I dont have the emissions equip that the R6 does, but hopefully that EPA stamp will serve me well if it comes down to it.

There is a guy who lives about 2 blocks away who has several harleys. They have aftermarket exhausts that are loud, but not what I would call excessive, but Im not sure if they would pass muster or not. He usually rides right by my house at about 12-1am every night on his way home from work. I never wake up from it. It doesnt bother me. What does bother me is that it sets off the alarm of this one PIECE OF SHIT! ford pickup with every plastic stick on accessory and decal from auto zone. But I dont blame the bike. I can fart in my bedroom and set the alarm off. The train goes by 2 blocks away, it goes off, a big rig drives within a block, it goes off. It is so f'ing sensitive that it goes off at least 10-15 times a day/night. I doubt it reaches 80db, but the variance in tone is absolutly obnoxious and I want to light it on fire and do a little dance around it while it burns to the ground. Ive called the police for disturbing the peace complaints and they just dont give a shit. I beat on the door to tell them to turn it off and get blank stares because they dont understand a word Im saying. The bikes are fine, leave them be. But enforce the true distrubing noises!!!

Spiderman
Tue Aug 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I beat on the door to tell them to turn it off and get blank stares because they dont understand a word Im saying.
Get the same alarm as theirs, put it in a wooden box with a car battery, rig up a remote to it, put it in front of their door, hide in the bushes with the remote and turn it on. Turn it off when they open the door, then turn it back on when the go back inside. Lather, rinse, repeat. :twisted:

Mother Goose
Tue Aug 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM
http://postwhore.own3doutput.com/albums/userpics/10005/lovethread.jpg

whitebrad
Tue Aug 18th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Get the same alarm as theirs, put it in a wooden box with a car battery, rig up a remote to it, put it in front of their door, hide in the bushes with the remote and turn it on. Turn it off when they open the door, then turn it back on when the go back inside. Lather, rinse, repeat. :twisted:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!

don't forget the video camera! it'd be a you tube epic!

kawasakirob
Tue Aug 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I love my 100 buck slash cut GP exhaust system, especially when it's bouncing off the rev limiter.

MrFreeze5
Tue Aug 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM

No, I had a great idea that would piss them off. I was going to run a straight header with just a race baffle inside it and sit in the alley in the middle of the night(by their bedroom) and do burnouts. Cant do THAT now. Denver sucks! Now I have to return the baffle I just ordered a week ago. It hasnt even been delivered yet!!! I wish i had known about this ordinance before today. But glad I found out before this thing hit the road daily. Whenever i drive by the thing in my jeep, i rev the engine, or turn a certain song on and turn it way up so the subs vibrate it. Let the thing go off, then drive off. Otherwise, i never turn my system up loud enough to hear it outside the vehicle in residential areas, but it has great sound dampening inside.

If someone ever broke into the damn thing, theyd never know it the thing goes off so much.

GregsGSXR
Tue Aug 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
If you are really interested in the technical specs of this whole thing...

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=10257&sid=6

Chapter 36 Noise Control

HandleGrip
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Ok so, I'm new to riding in Denver and am wondering if this noise ordinance is only in the Denver city limits or does it include surrounding metro area? Or have any ordinances added this since 2009 or the last posting? I am putting a voodoo GP style exhaust on that is 97db's...

wulf
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM
There has been a colorado law banning louder than stock exhaust. It's rarely at best enforced though.

dm_gsxr
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 07:05 PM
It's a federal law. If your exhaust doesn't have the marks on it as indicated in the Federal Law, you are subject to fines.

One site I was on (I'm on so many, it could have been this one) had riders in Federal parks pulled over and receiving $2,000 noise fines.

Certainly it doesn't happen everywhere and most people don't get dinged for it. But if you swap your exhaust, you are subject to fines.

And states and local city/county governments have ordinances that follow these laws. Denver is one of many including Boston, the one in Arizona or New Mexico, and even cities in Canada.

Carl

Mother Goose
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Thought this was covered in the last 5 pages from 2009? :shock:

Fernman
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 07:17 PM
FYI your voodooo pipe will be louder than 97DB unless youre rocking it on a 250R

Arvada has the same law.

Denver has laid back on this, however if you draw attention to yourself then you will get pulled over. I have gotten warnings for this. these guys are too busy dealing with criminals.

All the Sportbike riders were blaming the Harley guys and all the Harley guys were blaming the Sportbikes. this law could have been beat if everyone would unite.

I would rather pay the fine, than get side swiped by the 16 Y.O. girl texting on her phone.

Be Safe.

JustSomeDude
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Denver has laid back on this ... these guys are too busy dealing with criminals.

Except now we're in a recession... and they'll do anything to generate revenues.

Cops/meter maids downtown are out in full force these days - handing out tickets for anything and everything.

fiveninerzero
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Except now we're in a recession...
Recession has officially been over in economical terms for almost a year now. The recession is never over when it comes to ticket revenue, however.

FZRguy
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Thought this was covered in the last 5 pages from 2009? :shock:

It's been brought back from the dead....just for you. ;)

Seriously tho, the sound issue (road and off-road) is not going away anytime soon.

JustSomeDude
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Recession has officially been over in economical terms for almost a year now.

The economical terms presented on my paychecks beg to differ.

I was going to put down a winkface, but it's too depressing to laugh at. So you get a frowny guy instead... :(

Spiderman
Sun Aug 14th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I would rather pay the fine, than get side swiped by the 16 Y.O. girl texting on her phone.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_w2cOsPw-lJ4/Sqvv15JX19I/AAAAAAAADIA/ca-T_VhSHx0/s400/T-Shirt+1+Back+PJ.jpg

Swift
Sun Aug 14th, 2011, 01:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGZG2kx5vD8

Scatterbrain
Sun Aug 14th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Yea this totally blows. Hopefully since it's only denver there won't be too many of us that get hit with this but once they get alot of people ya know it's going to move on to another city like aurora.

Ghost
Sun Aug 14th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Yea this totally blows. Hopefully since it's only denver there won't be too many of us that get hit with this but once they get alot of people ya know it's going to move on to another city like aurora.

Yup.

It's "free" money for them--just like all the new red light cameras going up.

Economy's in the shitter, can't raise taxes, so raise fines/fees instead...

koru
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I thought hitler died in 1945 not still making laws in this country thank god all our troops are fighting and dying for our freedom and constitution what a waste f*ck the bullshit liberals and there nazi crap. I hope they dont hear me coming with my epa approved exhaust and i run over their useless bodies.

Fernman
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 03:24 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_w2cOsPw-lJ4/Sqvv15JX19I/AAAAAAAADIA/ca-T_VhSHx0/s400/T-Shirt+1+Back+PJ.jpg

Its better to have had a pipe and not needed it than to not have one and need it.

we all do it.

I don't condone the rev limitier at 13000 RPMs at 3 in the morning, but a little growl from the bike will wake up that unattentive driver trying to multitask in traffic.

Ted
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Me wants an air horn !

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I don't condone the rev limitier at 13000 RPMs at 3 in the morning, but a little growl from the bike will wake up that unattentive driver trying to multitask in traffic.
It still doesn't help. Seriously.

Zach929rr
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I thought hitler died in 1945 not still making laws in this country thank god all our troops are fighting and dying for our freedom and constitution what a waste f*ck the bullshit liberals and there nazi crap. I hope they dont hear me coming with my epa approved exhaust and i run over their useless bodies.

10/10 would laugh at your superb logic again

Bueller
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:45 AM
10/10 would laugh at your superb logic again
Sounds like liquor logic

Zach929rr
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Sounds like liquor logic

Clearly, the 4th Reich is present on the City Council of Denver, and found that noisy motorcycles stem directly from the Jewish population of Denver. Their first-strike was a noise ordnance. What's next, Bill O'Reilly for Mayor?

Sean
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:49 AM
My current KTM950Adv is a lot louder than my prior 01 R6 and I have to say that traffic does notice me a lot more. It could help that the bike is also a bit larger in size. Does it stop the idiots from merging into my lane because they are to freaking lazy to turn their head, no. But every little bit helps. :up:

grim
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:53 AM
"Keep your head on a swivel" You cant rely on the noise your bike makes! /thread

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM
"Keep your head on a swivel" You cant rely on the noise your bike makes! /thread
If only this thread would end.

Ricky
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Sorry, but I can't hear your loud ass pipes in my nice quiet luxury car.... I don't give a fuck how loud your bike is.

grim
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Sorry, but I can't hear your loud ass pipes in my nice quiet luxury car.... I don't give a fuck how loud your bike is.

With that statement comes this...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/962833_o.gif[/QUOTE]

Bueller
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I am going to put this one on my wife's 250, it should help :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjxs1HAzrVg&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjxs1HAzrVg&feature=player_detailpage#t=17s)

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 02:29 PM

Fascists are conservative. But hey, have another drink.

Bueller
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Clearly, the 4th Reich is present on the City Council of Denver, and found that noisy motorcycles stem directly from the Jewish population of Denver. Their first-strike was a noise ordnance. What's next, Bill O'Reilly for Mayor?
Reinstating fired police officers that like to beat the shit out of citizens.:guns: