PDA

View Full Version : Blip it if U got it

Redflash3
Sat Jun 9th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I'm a newbie to CSC and I find the threads very helpful. Question. I'd like to learn the true technique of blipping the throttle. Can anyone give me some pointers/tips or a good book to read etc?:banghead:

lightning126zp
Sat Jun 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Here's something that might help you.
http://www.sportrider.com/ride/RSS/146_0402_shift_blip_throttle/

txrc51fatboy
Sat Jun 9th, 2007, 08:07 PM
pick up a book called "sportriding techniques". treat it like a bible

irdave
Sat Jun 9th, 2007, 11:09 PM
You know, I've stopped blipping the throttle. And I've stopped going down one gear at a time. Now I apply the brakes, grab the clutch, change down the required number of gears, and let the clutch out... No more blipping down each gear. Way quicker into the corners.

YMMV.

Redflash3
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM
irdave, is your technique a more common technique or just something that works best for you? Because I still see many racers blipping, not that I'm a racers but I am getting more track experience.

pilot
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
You know, I've stopped blipping the throttle. And I've stopped going down one gear at a time. Now I apply the brakes, grab the clutch, change down the required number of gears, and let the clutch out... No more blipping down each gear. Way quicker into the corners.

YMMV.Dave, are you doing this with a slipper clutch? And is this in race mode or street or both?

Me, I'm doing a bit of both on the street. But on the track, all brake-- then downshift. No slipper clutch either. So, my goal is not to let the rear end brake loose as I'm preparing to and entering the corner (straight braking, downshifting, and trail braking into the first 1/3 to half of the turn. All of this requires a hell of a lot of steering control, especially on a 600 pound+ Kawasaki, with NO steering stabilizer. (I need a sponsor-- preferably rich and cute and Swiss--there soooo orderly.)

On a better (see track) bike I'm sure I'd have more success with all these appendage contortions.

Redflash3
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Pilot, good meeting you yesterday at Scott's during the tech work. I was the african-american dude trying to absorb all the tech info. I guess I may just try both techniques and see what works best. I want to learn a technique that I feel comfortable with and applying in my riding on track days. Typically I see blipping so I figured that must be preference of choice across the board.

eklew
Mon Jun 11th, 2007, 11:11 PM
New issue of SportRider actually has an article under "technique" towards the back of the issue on blipping and sliding. Decent read.

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 12th, 2007, 11:49 AM
When I was learning I used the sport rider article.... Read it 5 times and went out on the ole hwy in the middle of no where to practice..... After about an hour... Nailed it down.... I still do it, I have a slipper and still do it.... Dropping multiple gears at a time with out blipping on a track will get you a new noggin.... The RPM change is so drastic doing that..... The back wheel would be all over the place... Just my thoughts.. Id never try it so I guess I can nock it...

Jeffro
Tue Jun 12th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Here's something that might help you.
http://www.sportrider.com/ride/RSS/146_0402_shift_blip_throttle/

Good article lightning. Short and to the point. Thanks.

mushin_man39
Tue Jun 12th, 2007, 10:02 PM
On the track I blip and slide the clutch cuz I don't have no stinkin slipper clutch. On the street I don't blip cuz it draws attention, just slide the clutch a little more. Oh, sorry, Bash and #1 Townie, I don't really ride street....

pilot
Tue Jun 12th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Pilot, good meeting you yesterday at Scott's during the tech work. I was the african-american dude trying to absorb all the tech info. I guess I may just try both techniques and see what works best. I want to learn a technique that I feel comfortable with and applying in my riding on track days. Typically I see blipping so I figured that must be preference of choice across the board. Good meeting you too Red. Have fun practicing.