PDA

View Full Version : How's the posture

counterfit zx10r
Wed Jun 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Finally got a few pictures of myself going through a corner and I am getting my knee down pretty easily (especially with some pilot 2CT's on there finally) Just wanted to know what some of the more experienced guys think of my riding position if it's good, bad, alright but needs to be changed a little here and there. I can see that I should be looking a little further ahead in the corners but not sure other then that.

Thanks in advance

Mel
Thu Jun 14th, 2007, 06:04 PM
needs to be changed to a race track :-|

mushin_man39
Thu Jun 14th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Only one pic, looks kinda motocross-crossed up. You're knee is down cuz you're sticking it out and leaning the bike while hiding behind the bubble. Plastic ain't gonna save you. Look through the mirror/corner apex and let the bike run. Good work so far, though! Keep practicing.

counterfit zx10r
Thu Jun 14th, 2007, 11:51 PM
That was the best picture i got really that shows how i'm leaning off the bike, here's another one that is a little better angel to show how far i'm leaning off

counterfit zx10r
Thu Jun 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM
oh, and this is in an closed parking lot, I try not to ride like this on the street but I haven't been able to see how I'm actually leaning in a corner yet so I wanted to get a few pictures

Bueller
Fri Jun 15th, 2007, 05:38 AM
second pic illustrates wat M-Man said even better. Look at your upper body, it is positioned in the center of the bike, so basically all your lower body hanging is just to get your knee on the ground and is useless.

All-Labout-me
Fri Jun 15th, 2007, 08:49 AM
CounterfitZX10R,
I will be out at IMI tomorrow if you would like to work on it on the track.
Of course Jay will be there and he may be able to get some video of you on the track. Might help give you a better purspective.

-Doug

counterfit zx10r
Fri Jun 15th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I would love to do that but working at a motorcycle dealer, I'm stuck working from 8 am till at least 5pm... I can do Sundays but not Saturdays. If I can possibly get my boss to let me have the day off, I'll pm you.

Cars-R-Coffins
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I rode behind you a bit today and your position looks better in person than it does in the pics you posted. A+ on throttle control through the turns. You definitely scrubbed in the edges on your CTs.

mjg68901
Tue Jul 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM
That was the best picture i got really that shows how i'm leaning off the bike, here's another one that is a little better angel to show how far i'm leaning off

I know it's a Carlos Checa, but good comparison angles between you and him.
Nice bike BTW!

Matty
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 12:02 AM
try straighten out your shoulders more.

pilot
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Rotate head (look through turn), shoulders and hips more into turn. If outside knee is hitting tank and keeping you from rotating, move butt back towards center and to the rear *against smuggler's box. This will allow you to rotate more into turn. Lay flatter on tank. Relax left shoulder. Keep centerline of body inside bike's centerline. Inside foot looks good.

Jayock
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Keep centerline of body inside bike's centerline. .

What do you mean by this. Keep it centered over the bike?

pilot
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 11:05 AM
What do you mean by this. Keep it centered over the bike?
No. I mean that from the nuts to noggin keeping them closer to the inside that the center axis of the bike. This would be looking at the bike from a front view. Lean the body into the turn more than the bike. This can really be seen while following most riders. Although the think that they are leaning into the turn, they are actually trying to face and lean away. This eats up valuable lean angle on the bike.

Jayock
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Ok, ill post one of my own. Tell me what you think pilot. Pretty good shot to see posture.

http://www.apex-cellular.com/justin/back.jpg

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Ok, ill post one of my own. Tell me what you think pilot. Pretty good shot to see posture.

http://www.apex-cellular.com/justin/back.jpg

SCHAMACK! :lol:

pilot
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Two ways to look at this:

One: You're serious in your question and my answer would be, your head is outside of the bikes centerline (draw a line through the tire then exhaust and see that it comes up through your left ear). This is placing that weight to the outside of the bike and you thus have to lean the bike more to have the same arc/speed combo with less lean--less lean at same speed means you have room for more lean and speed through the turn. In this shot your front suspension appears to be compressed... trail braking into a turn?. Acceleration marks appear to be ahead of you so at this point I'm taking it that you have hit your closest point to the inside of the turn (apex) and are rolling on the throttle. Having said that, I'm not an MRA racer. Your method works for you. I respect that. I was originally posting a reply to counterfit.

Two: You're having fun with the post (as NN pointed out) and I'd say, yes, that is a fine posterior shot.

pilot
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Here your upper body appears to be inside the bikes CL. As are most of the other shots of you. Looking deep through the turn toward your exit. Notice the rider behind you is looking toward the camera and not through the turn. Well, maybe he is, but his visor is pointing straight at the camera. *Thanks go out to Margaret Oliver for taking this shot and all the others on track/race days.

http://mra.uber-wheels.com/LaJunta_Aug06/818/images/_MG_4347.jpg

Matty
Wed Jul 11th, 2007, 08:10 PM
just remember just because you lean over, hang off the bike, and touch your knee doesn't mean it's the fastest way through the turn.

Jayock
Thu Jul 12th, 2007, 08:03 AM
No, it was serious. I feel comfortable with my riding style. Regardless, I believe there is always room for improvement. And while I (suspect I) may be faster around a track, you have the experience teaching and evaluating.

Had to pull out shots from a last year, huh?

pilot
Thu Jul 12th, 2007, 09:52 AM
No, it was serious. I feel comfortable with my riding style. Regardless, I believe there is always room for improvement. And while I (suspect I) may be faster around a track, you have the experience teaching and evaluating.

Had to pull out shots from a last year, huh?It's a great photo. Looks like you're on your concentration, getting on the gas and the suspension is riding level.

Thanks, I'm trying my best to pass on some reasonable knowledge and training. I'm far from perfect though, else I wouldn't have wadded it up a while back (1 foot more to the right and I would have missed that tree completely).

I'd get into racing, but for now, $$$$$ aint in the picture, so I support Terra, 112, in whatever way I can. Down the road, I plan on getting into suspension a bit more *not IRDAVE style--but still able to handle a repair/rebuild job or two.

Ride safe.

Matty
Thu Jul 12th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I'd get into racing, but for now, $$$$$ aint in the picture.
i feel ya 100%. i did the racing thing with WERA for about a year and half. couldn't afford it anymore. that and i was racing in the most popular and competitive class. 600cc.

albinohickey
Tue Jul 17th, 2007, 03:07 PM
All these are good suggestions, but I think one thing not mentioned that would help is just to drop your shoulder a little bit. You're very close, just need to get down and your head over more and you'd look text book

Another thing I've learned is your form is like your fingerprint. All are different and some very fast riders looked all sorts of crossed up on a bike, but at some point whatever works for you works.

Example: I'm sure someone would tell Mick her to "kiss the mirrors more" if he posted this. :)

Another example: http://www.vf750fd.com/motorbikes/doohan/doohan12.jpg

http://www.tyfo.com/sports/motor/news/doohan/motor_doohan01.jpg

pilot
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Drop (relax) the shoulder. Absolutely.

Kendo
Wed Jul 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM
All I can say is ...when I started dropping the shoulder and relaxing ...the turn feels so much smoother.....the bike just falls into the turn....