PDA

View Full Version : SuperHawk TPS Adjustment

Coloradoray
Wed May 26th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Has any of the SuperHawk owners completed the TPS adjustment? If so, was it difficult? I need to do mine, but am leary of tackling this myself.

Anonymous
Wed May 26th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Yeah, if you want bring it out to SCR this weekend and I can do it there for you or we can set something up in the evening next week sometime.

Remind me to bring the stuff and we can sync your carbs at the same time too.

Coloradoray
Wed May 26th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Thanks Ralph. Unfortunately, I will be doing mold abatement this weekend and will not be able to meet at SCR. I can be available next week; let's try to set something up for then. Send me a pm and let me know your schedule.
Thanks.

MattTLS
Wed May 26th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Being that the SuperHawk is carbureted (right?), why does it need a throttle position sensor? Just wondering ...

Matthew

Coloradoray
Thu May 27th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Matt, yes it is carburated, but it has a TPS. Don't know why; haven't had the bike long enough to figure that out. Chalk it up to Honda engineering! Maybe someone wiser than I (shouldn't be too hard to find someone to fit that bill) could enlighten us?

Anonymous
Sun Jun 6th, 2004, 03:42 PM
It has a TPS because the ignition is somewhat computer-controlled on the superchickens. The advance is fixed so you can't re-map it per se (i.e. you can alter the timing with an advancer that is a set number of degrees regardless of RPM). It may have to do with other things as well ... but TPS's on the chickens work best in a narrow margin of settings and are rarely that way from the factory.

I wondered the same thing, why would I need a TPS on a carb'd bike? But, it's there, and can really make the bike run like shit if it's off. Sync'ing the carbs will make loads of improvement as well. Syncing a twin is muy easy, I made a sync gauge with $4 in parts from Home Depot. Which reminds me, it's time to do that again... :idea:

There are a handful of tricks you can do to a superhawk that make worlds of difference... Ought to get the resident 'Chicken' owners together for a little mod-and-maintenence party one of these days so I can enlighten you guys... ;)

Hint: Buy a few bottles of premix Honda coolant from your favorite dealer, a 4-degree Factory Pro advancer ~$45, right side cover gasket $20. The rest of the mods/checks are free to do. If a group of you chicken owners are interested I can probably get a quantity discount on the side cover gaskets (i.e. dealer cost) and we can 'advance' half a dozen of these things in an afternoon. Maybe a little longer, with the mandatory beer consumption.

Coloradoray
Mon Jun 7th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Count me in! I'm fairly handy at wrenching and would not mind assisting.