PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Sportech V-Flow Windscreens

CBR-STEW
Wed May 26th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Well I purchased a new Black Chrome Sportech V-Flow Windscreen about a week and a half ago. I rode to work, and when I came out, my Gauge/Instrument Panel was partially MELTED!! :x Anyone considering purchasing this windscreen should be aware of this problem. I had heard of it happening with Zero Gravity Double Bubbles, but not with Sportechs. I sent a letter off yesterday to Sportech to try and resolve this issue. We'll see what happens...

Anyone else have any problems with the instrument panel melting, due to an aftermarket windscreen?

FlickerSV
Wed May 26th, 2004, 11:15 AM
I have never heard of this. So how would a windscreen contribute to melting gauges? :?

Slacker
Wed May 26th, 2004, 11:27 AM
WOW :o That sucks. I was looking at those last weekend. I have not heard of this as an issue. One would think they would test these things.

Anonymous
Wed May 26th, 2004, 12:11 PM
I found an article on the web about a certain PowerBronze windscreen (I believe) doing the same thing. It seems when the sun hits the windscreen at a very specific angle, it acts like a magnifying glass and melts whatever's at the receiving end of ir.

Sucks. Sorry to hear that dude.

I haven't had any problems with my Zero-Gravity Double Bubble on my R1, but I'm always parked in the parking garage at work.

BlueDevil
Wed May 26th, 2004, 03:19 PM
DB Zero Gravity will do it to a 954RR as well. Sun hits the bend and focuses the sun on the dah till oooops melted.

I have a ZG DB and a Puig on the Yamis and so far A OK

DarkKnight
Wed May 26th, 2004, 03:36 PM
I thought that the black chrome screens were opaque - you cant see through them, hence no way the light can be focused and melt the gauge housing.

ChUe
Thu May 27th, 2004, 02:44 PM
crap, i just order one on-line this past week i'll have to keep an :shocked: on it. :lol:

CBR-STEW
Thu May 27th, 2004, 04:14 PM
I thought that the black chrome screens were opaque - you cant see through them, hence no way the light can be focused and melt the gauge housing.

That was on the original Chrome Models. The new V-Flow Models are transparent.

By the way mine was on a 2001 CBR 600F4i. I got a call from Sportech today on my machine and they said they are going to take care of me. Refund me my money if I want and fix my bike. Hopefully they carry through with this. The guy said only a few problems like mine have been made out of thousands (can't remember the number he said) of these windscreens being sold. Apparently the sun and the angle of the bike have to be just write for this to occur. Bad Break I guess. I'm planning on getting a refund unless someone would like to purchase mine.

Fluuidity
Mon Jul 26th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Sorry to hear about your guages dude. Gotta suck. I just purchased a Yellow Chrome Sportech windscreen about two weeks ago. No problems so far. I'll have to keep my eye on my guages as the temperature rises. Keep us posted as to Sportech's response...

CBR-STEW
Mon Jul 26th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your guages dude. Gotta suck. I just purchased a Yellow Chrome Sportech windscreen about two weeks ago. No problems so far. I'll have to keep my eye on my guages as the temperature rises. Keep us posted as to Sportech's response...

I am assuming you have the original Chrome windshield (Non-Transparent) and not the new V-Flow Windscreen (Transparent). Anyways, Sportech took care of me. I had to take the bike to get an estimate to see what damage was actually done. After that Sportech dealt with the dealership on all the cost. The only thing that had to be replaced was the Gauge Cover. Lucky for Sportech there wasn't any further damage. So the end result between the Estimate, the gauge cover, and labor, Sportech had to pay somewhere around $150 for the whole thing.
As far as the windscreen, Sportech said they were working a fix to the new V-Flow windscreen (transparent) and I could either get the Black Chrome V-Flow with the fix, get the original Black Chrome (non-transparent), or get a refund. Whatever I wanted to do they were ok with. So I opted for the original Black Chrome (non-transparent) Windscreen. Overall Sportech was good about getting this taken care of. When I get a chance I will put the name of the individual I dealt with and a phone number in case anyone has any issues with their Sportech Windscreen.

Bryce
Mon Jul 26th, 2004, 05:36 PM
I gotta say I am really impressed by sportech's response that is awful damn big of them to pay for the damage when I started reading I expected to hear they told you to go pound sand

KooLaid
Mon Jul 26th, 2004, 07:01 PM
I just put on a clear ZG double bubble recently. Hope nothing bad happens to mine! Sorry to hear about ur F4i, atleast the company is hookin' it up.

Quick636
Thu Jul 29th, 2004, 05:19 PM
This is the third instance of the Sportech V-Flow melting someones instrument cluster now. I was going to get one until I heard of this problem.

In all three cases now, Sportech has offered a refund as well as replaced the instrument clusters. I too am impressed with this company.