PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed-want to lower my bike!

ChaiOnKaw
Fri Jun 15th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I'd like to lower it about 2 inches; is that possible?!? Any and all advice appreciated! :) thx, rita

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 15th, 2007, 10:41 PM
There's a company in Europe (UK) Hyper Pro that makes lowering kits for your bike.

http://www.hyperpro.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?p=adjustmentkit_models&mode=detail&id=16:0004

And here is a link to USofA suppliers

http://www.exoticsportbike.com/lowering_links.htm

myyamahabluebyyou
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Check Ebay. I just ordered the brackets for my bike.

Devaclis
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 09:03 AM
What kind of bike is it?

Lowering your bike can really upset the geometry quite a bit. I lowered my wifes SV650 and can share some advice with you if you want.

dm_gsxr
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM
She has a 2007 Ninja 650R. We went to the Kawasaki site and read up there as well. Basically I can raise the front forks (loosen the pinch bolts and raise the forks) without trouble and the kickstand will need a bit cut out of the middle. My question would be, what's a good solution for the rear shock?

I read: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0210_lower/ which was a pretty good article on what to look out for and an examination of the options.

I guess the main question is a look for folks who have done it and what would be the better way to get the bike lowered.

Rita's big problem (as I see it) is backing down the driveway. Since she's on toes, there's not a lot of room for error and any mistake will have the bike on the ground. I'm sure that happens in other places as well but that's my observation.

Thanks.

Carl

Nick_Ninja
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 10:09 AM
You can shave the seat down too. But as was said, lowering the bike at the forks changes the geometry and the bikes steering characteristics will handle differently. The rear suspension can be loosened (made softer) and that too will make the bike become loose in the handling department.

dm_gsxr
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I guess the best comparison is that she rides it as if it were a more comfortable cruiser. Speed limit, no canyon carving, kind of a smaller sport touring bike. While the geometry will be changed, I don't think she'd really notice it and doing it now might be the best option so she gets used to the new way it handles.

Carl

ChaiOnKaw
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM
What kind of bike is it?

Lowering your bike can really upset the geometry quite a bit. I lowered my wifes SV650 and can share some advice with you if you want.

Ninja 650R. Yes! Share what you learned. Thank you!!!

ChaiOnKaw
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I checked all the links and no one makes kits for the ninja 650r :banghead:. I called the kawasaki service dept and they don't know of anyone who makes them either, but he did give me the name of a machine shop in wheat ridge - a LSE Racing - anybody heard of them? So I'll give them a call.

Maybe shaving the seat would be less complicated...how is THAT done?!?! thx!!!

Nick_Ninja
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I checked all the links and no one makes kits for the ninja 650r :banghead:. I called the Kawasaki service dept and they don't know of anyone who makes them either, but he did give me the name of a machine shop in wheat ridge - a LSE Racing - anybody heard of them? So I'll give them a call.

Maybe shaving the seat would be less complicated...how is THAT done?!?! thx!!!

To shave the seat you need to pull the seat cover off and then take a blade (reciprocating knife works well) to the foam. Be careful as you can always take off a 'little more' but it is harder to add it back.

ChaiOnKaw
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks! I'll go take a look and see how much I can shave off and still have some comfort.

Nick_Ninja
Sat Jun 16th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks! I'll go take a look and see how much I can shave off and still have some comfort.

Just a little more from another site:

The cover is stapled on to the plastic pan. First get an idea of how much you want to remove and from where.
Then pull the staples out with a pair of small wire cutters and you will see the foam installed on the pan. Cut about half of what you think you want out (an electric knife is perfect for this job) and recover the foam with the seat cover. Tack it in place with about 1/4 the amount of staples and re-install the seat. Test drive it for a while and see if you need to take out more. If so, do it, recover and test. Once you have it where you want it, pull the cover tight, add more staples and enjoy....

ChaiOnKaw
Sun Jun 17th, 2007, 10:14 AM
There's not too much padding on this seat. I'm afraid if I shave some (an inch) off, I'll be sitting on plastic! Looks like we're going to have to lower it or buy another bike! Anyone want a brand new blue Ninja 650R?!?!? :crazy: