PDA

View Full Version : irresponsible cager lane changes?

rider955i
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 08:26 PM
So today on I 70 was cruizing along and not paying attention or checking their blind spot a red tracker or something similar tried to take me out. He had started to change lanes going around a turn (didn't want to brake hard), but luckily I saw it coming in time. I was started to mkove over and I pulled in the clutch and gave it a rev. That scared the hell out of them so bad that he turned out of my lane almost flipping his pos and swerved over into another cagers lane. Another exhaust saves my day! Why can't people grasp the idea of checking the lane before changing by turning their head instead of only using mirrors? This is not the first time someone tried taking me out this same way this season am I doing something wrong or how dumb are these fools? I like to take the bike when i am going places which means I usually ride solo. (Anyone have a statistic showing how much more dangerous it is to ride solo?):cussing:

64BonnieLass
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 08:34 PM
(Anyone have a statistic showing how much more dangerous it is to ride solo?):cussing:
I've wondered this myself. However, when I'm on my own, I am VERY watchful of being in others' blind spot. (which of course is not the perfect solution to others being ignorant ass hats). Slow down or speed up if you can, but get the hell outta da way.

Bueller
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Rode in this morning and realized as I entered the parking lot that no one cut me off or otherwise tried to kill me this morning, made me wonder if it was a good omen or bad, since it hardly ever happens.
On the way home there were two sportbikes ahead of me on the highway in the far left lane that decided they wanted to exit the off ramp that was quickly passing so they cut across 3 lanes of traffic, freaked out drivers and nearly caused several accidents. It ain't always the cages that wear the ass hat.

Slo
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 09:51 PM
+1, I have seen more motorcyclists purposely do stupid dangerous things. "Most" of the time cagers do things by accident and not knowing.

dapper
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 10:30 PM
(Anyone have a statistic showing how much more dangerous it is to ride solo?):cussing: Here is the requested link.:)

Matty
Mon Jun 18th, 2007, 11:11 PM
try riding in Los Angeles traffic. you come close to getting hit on a daily basis. one of the reasons why i'm moving to colorado.

dm_gsxr
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 06:01 AM
I don't know if it's all that much better. When I was going to class down on Arapahoe, every day I rode I had a close call. People jockying for position are the worst ones. I'm trying to protect my lane on one side and someone tries to merge from the other. That's a main reason I ride in the left lane.

But solo or in a group, you always have to be alert. Zoning out can cause you to be taken out. I like riding. It's a challenge and most times nothing comes of it, but all it takes is that one time that you were zoning for someone to merge into you or for you to miss the curve.

Carl

PhL0aTeR
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 06:53 AM
try riding in Los Angeles traffic. you come close to getting hit on a daily basis. one of the reasons why i'm moving to colorado.

after riding for a month in LA, i think i almost prefer LA traffic to CO :(

~Barn~
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I've only ridden LA highways on a few occassions, but definitely racked up the miles during those times. Two things stuck out...

1.) When traffic actually can (and is) flowing, people drive FAST. Like... "I don't care that we're all doing 90" fast. You absolutlely *must* keep your head screwed on, and not become an impediment! A potential deathtrap for a newbie or an apprehensive rider, to-be-sure.

and 2.) When traffic is stuck and crawling (like 80% of the time), they mostly seem to accomodate motorcyclists who lane split, and don't appear to have, or at least show, their animosity. i.e. They give room or even make extra room for your passage.

I'm sure there is a fair share of dickholes too, don't get me wrong; but for the most part, I've always been comfortable on their highways when I've been there. It's think it's almost nicer when they're just sitting there doing 5mph, and I'm cruising between them, than it is here in Colorado when traffic is moving just enough to get everybody anxious and impatient, and cagers make froggy moves w/out proper care. :dunno:

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 09:29 AM
in 2004 we lane split basically from north of Santa Rosa south on the 101 across the Golden Gate Bridge into San Fran. There were a couple of goofs that attempted to turn into our line but for the most part everyone held a high level of respect for our two wheeled mode of transport. It was a fine time. :up:

Matty
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 09:57 AM
ya i think having the ability to split lanes on the freeway and street does make it a lil bit nicer. (i know i'm going to forget ya'll can't split lanes and get a ticket.)

but ya, LA does drive a whole lot faster than ya'll. i was out in denver last weekend, and you guys drive slow. or let me rephrase that. you guys drive at the speed limit.

AshliRider44
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Dave and I were driving behind to bikes riding down C470 that got onto I70. One of the riders cut off a jeep on the on ramp leaving his buddy behind anywho, the jeep got pist at him and decided to get back at him he would cut off the other bike (on an RC wearing Repsol leathers)and did just that, followed by giving the rider the bird. Try not to leave your buddies to face the wrath of a cager for you next time :321:

PhL0aTeR
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
ya i think having the ability to split lanes on the freeway and street does make it a lil bit nicer. (i know i'm going to forget ya'll can't split lanes and get a ticket.)

when i got back, i forgot and did it, and was promptly told by a trooper who was yelling out of his window to cut it out.... lol

now i just nmake sure there isnt a cop around... lol ... j/k

tarded400
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I wish we could at least cut up to the front at stop lights. We accelerate faster than cars, and that way you're clear up front and only have to focus on your rear views. Plus, I would like knowing I'm not going to get rear ended. I like the idea of lane splitting.

Matty
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I wish we could at least cut up to the front at stop lights. I like the idea of lane splitting.

ya splitting lanes on the freeway is nice. especially when you're in bumper to bumper traffic. but ya splitting lanes on the streets is a life saver. i'd rather be in front of the traffic than be surrounded by it.

dapper
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Splitting lanes takes a great level of focus.
Sunday, I literally split lanes during my ride.
I even road up to the front of the line at the stop light. ( 3 X )
I was on my MT bike.
That makes it legal, right?:p

Matty
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I was on my MT bike.
That makes it legal, right?:p
wha wha wha...... :slap:

tarded400
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Actually I don't like bicyclists that do that more than if a motorcycle were to do it. At least a motorcycle has the power to get out of the way.

Ricky
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
I was riding yesterday at Hwy36 & Sheridan, got off at Sheridan, ready to make a left turn to start heading north. I was behind another biker, 2 people not wearing helmets or any safety gear. We made a left turn, then I switched to the right lane, and started to come up on him when he decides to throw his left hand up to change lanes to the right, then he nearly hit me because he didn't actually look before coming over. I had to nearly slam on my brakes, as I was in the left side of the lane. I was surprised to see such a careless move.

~Barn~
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:18 PM
<snip...> I was surprised to see such a careless move.

That's your first mistake. ;)

Ricky
Mon Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:48 PM
hahaha, I guess you're right :)

Prowler67
Fri Aug 10th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Something I learned in my short time of riding, look at the drivers heads, anticipate the worst and don't be there for it. It is something I even do in my car for better situational awareness.

Bassil Duwaik
Fri Aug 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Yea I noticed that. In CO you ride like they don't see you. In CA ride as though their out to get you!