PDA

View Full Version : Beat the heat ride Saturday 6-23-07

denverbusa
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 01:11 PM
No this is not about outrunning the cops! :banghead:

It's going to be over a hundred on Saturday so Deckers is not going to be a good option. :fire: We need to get a little higher into the hills. Anyone up for a nice long scenic ride. I am thinking it would be a good day to do trailridge road going out 40 through Frasier then back East to Estes and back down peak to peak to CCPW then people could drop off as they want down to their part of town.

I personally have not taken Trail Ridge Road so anyone who has would certainly be more than welcome. Not looking to make this in some kind of record speed so there will be stops for head counts, breaks and pics as needed.

My hope is to leave the Conoco by 9:00 sharp. The map link below says 227 miles and 4 hours 50 minutes driving time. Add in the breaks, lunch and pictures... we should be back around 4:00 give or take.

So who would be in? If Sunday would work out better let me know cause I am ridding both days and this is a trip that more would be merrier on. So all of you that talk about getting out for a ride but don't, and you know who you are, get that baby shinned up, gassed up and get off your dead ass.

yahoo map (http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1 dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=m&q5=morrison,%20colorado&q4=black%20hawk%20colorado&q3=estes%20park,%20colorado&q2=frasier%20colorado&q1=morrison%20colorado&trf=0&lon=-105.470123&lat=40.086477&mag=9)

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I can go on Sat. You should go 'counter clockwise' so i can meet you in Lyons. 9 is a little late tho :D

denverbusa
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 03:25 PM
9:00 is a little late but there are a bunch of lazy butts on here that would complain and then not go. I figure if they will complain about 9:00 then to hell with them.

If more people want to leave early I am usually ready by 7:00. Traffic on Sat AM going into the park from the West is lighter than from the East, or so I have been told That is why I chose the clockwise direction. It is certainly open to discussion though.

Post up posers!

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM
If you leave the CONOCO at 7:00 traffic should be a non issue either direction. :D

BlueDog
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 03:43 PM
9:00!? :shocked: Are you mad?

How many miles in total? I am interested but the Superhawk has terrible mileage and an ass buster for a seat so, not the ideal bike for long trips.

leviathin
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 04:19 PM
sounds like a good ride, if i dont have to work ill go, of course my route would take me from "c" to "e" first thing in the morning and then say bye at "c" again later in the afternoon.

ChefQ
Tue Jun 19th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Like an idiot I did this ride counter clock over memorial day weekend. Traffic was nuts took me four hour from denver to Grand lake (two and a half hours from estes to grand), however that should not be the case on regular weekends and I would be interested in doing it again but would not be able to do it until the following week.

Chris
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 01:25 AM
I am in if it would be a ride. Not one of those ride for and hour then bullshit for and hour rides.

CanyonCarver
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 01:42 AM
oh chris, go fix your junk suzuki and quit bitching. I am in if it's not a hardcore ride. Back tire almost toast!

dillinger09
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 06:37 AM
oh chris, go fix your junk suzuki and quit bitching. I am in if it's not a hardcore ride. Back tire almost toast!

like you could make it that early!

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 07:30 AM
9:00!? :shocked: Are you mad?

How many miles in total? I am interested but the Superhawk has terrible mileage and an ass buster for a seat so, not the ideal bike for long trips.

It's 235 from my front door over TR & Berthoud.

WordFliesNverted
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I'm in for Saturday. Sunday is a no go.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I cannot wait until 9AM so I'm going to do the ride clockwise. I'm going to leave the intersection of 6 & 93 at 7:00 AM. Breakfast in Idaho Spgs. If you want to go early than hook up.

Bugkiller1
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I would but (insert lame excuse here post)

...just kidding! I'll be ther at 830ish. (hopefully) Great ride; I did it with Bueller three years ago.

CanyonCarver
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 02:58 PM
like you could make it that early!

Well.... Ok, your right. No i may make this one actually! :alien:

denverbusa
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Ok I will stick with the original plan.
9:00 depart, occasional stops for necessaries, a good photo op and a good lunch. Not stopping every 20 miles though as that drives me nuts aswell. But we will make certain the whole group it intact, safety issue and that is why I like riding in the group.

The map above says 227 miles Conoco round trip, and 4hr, 50min travel time.

I ride "The Pace" if others want to jet ahead, that's cool. As long as everyone makes it home I am happy. I am in complete control of only my throttle and brake... You are in complete control of your throttle and brake. Hopefully it's all gooooood.

Next time NN, I like getting out early too but wanted to get a good long day trip in with a larger group from the club and an early depart drops out too many.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Ok I will stick with the original plan.
9:00 depart, occasional stops for necessaries, a good photo op and a good lunch. Not stopping every 20 miles though as that drives me nuts aswell. But we will make certain the whole group it intact, safety issue and that is why I like riding in the group.

The map above says 227 miles Conoco round trip, and 4hr, 50min travel

I ride "The Pace" if others want to jet ahead, that's cool. As long as everyone makes it home I am happy. I am in complete control of only my throttle and brake... You are in complete control of your throttle and brake. Hopefully it's all gooooood.

Next time NN, I like getting out early too but wanted to get a good long day trip in with the a larger group from the club and an early depart drops out too many.

I'm sure that some of the scenery will be left after I soak it all up in my camera. I guess you can also look at it as I will be running interference for you folks :D.

denverbusa
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 09:28 PM
clip you can also look at it as I will be running interference for you folks :D.

I wasn't going to say it and jinx ya but since YOU said it first.... THANK YOU! :up:

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I wasn't going to say it and jinx ya but since YOU said it first.... THANK YOU! :up:

I run radar and have this thing called earlybird syndrome on my side. There will be NO problem whatsoever. :twisted:

Yamacati Bob
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 07:18 AM
Sounds like a good plan to me. I will even have my wifey along to keep the back tire from coming off the ground.
Morrison Conoco 9:00am :hump:

Andiamó
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM
I personally have not taken Trail Ridge Road so anyone who has would certainly be more than welcome.

yahoo map (http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1 dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=m&q5=morrison,%20colorado&q4=black%20hawk%20colorado&q3=estes%20park,%20colorado&q2=frasier%20colorado&q1=morrison%20colorado&trf=0&lon=-105.470123&lat=40.086477&mag=9)

I drove TrailRidge in a cage full of gawkers last weekend and it was mostly clean. 55 degrees at the top. If I were you I would leave earlier, 'cause it fill up with cars and such not long after 9 on the weekends. It's a slow ride in any case, as there is meltwater running across the road in several places and the turns are very tight in other places. Beware peds and suicidal zipmunks running across the road and dingalings suddenly stopping to look at the view.

I don't think I'll join you 'cause I'd rather do something a mite zippier.

Have fun.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 10:47 PM
I run radar and have this thing called earlybird syndrome on my side. There will be NO problem whatsoever. :twisted:

It must be the Geritol

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 21st, 2007, 10:48 PM
It must be the Geritol

And the eight-ball of cocaine ---------- youngsters :roll:

Bugkiller1
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:22 AM
Mark... did you call the other Mark to see if wants to do this ride? I rode with him last weekend so I know his shoulder is doing better. I wonder if Finnigan would do this trip on his 1098...

CBRNCO
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:41 AM
Me and my girlie will probably be up for this, 9 am is fine, earlier is fine as well, sounds like a great ride! Thanks for the idea Busa

CanyonCarver
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
have a funeral to attend. Won't be making this one. Maybe sun

opie
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
I'll be there.

WordFliesNverted
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Does anyone ever use "chase truck" on these long group rides with trailer in tow just in case?

Not that we're ridin a bunch of thrown together hogs... but we'll be a long way from home.

Just curious. First Colorado group ride.

aka. Newb.

Word

ChaiOnKaw
Fri Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
Yes, there's always a chase vehicle "just in case." And there's also a cooler in the truck loaded with our favorite beverages too! :devious:

PK-R1
Sat Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:04 AM
I Would love to go, but I bought one of those recalled Pilot Powers from TFOG, before I knew that they were recalled and hopefully today TFOG can get it changed out for me.

BlueDog
Sat Jun 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
Sorry to hear about the funeral Steve, give me a call if you want to ride tomorrow.

thunderseye
Sat Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:00 PM
awesome riding with you guys today. it was a great ride

opie
Sat Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:17 PM
Had a blast riding today. Here's a couple of shots...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1025/605029998_842f3b9f42.jpg?v=0

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1312/604827849_baf8e04940.jpg?v=0

My ride (just turned 57,000 miles)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1057/605030732_f45b36c1eb.jpg?v=0

CBRNCO
Sat Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
good ride all!

Cars-R-Coffins
Sat Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:38 PM
Enjoyable ride. Got pics? Post 'em!

WordFliesNverted
Sun Jun 24th, 2007, 11:23 PM
That was some sick riding boys. Good times. Can't wait to do it again.

Word

Bugkiller1
Wed Jun 27th, 2007, 07:44 AM
That was an excelent ride... we beat the heat till we got to Estes!