PDA

View Full Version : Tire repair

Messina748
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 08:36 AM
This tires practically new and has a visible screw hole in it. If you fill it, it will go flat in about 45 seconds.

Can this be patched from the inside and still be safe?

If so, what shop would you guys/gals recommend?

~Barn~
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 08:46 AM
You're gonna get conflicting opinions on this, but my take is that provided the hole is in an apppropriate spot, you can buy a plug kit and be perfectly happy and safe. Follow the directions perfectly, take your time, and don't rush to ride it if it needs curing, etc.

I've ridden (hard) on plugged front & rears, and never had any sort of problems. Others will tell you it's dangerous, and to replace the tire.

Not sure if you'll find a shop that will perform the patch/plug for you, but it's not terribly hard to do at home if you have 10 minutes to kill.

rybo
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 08:51 AM
If you can get the tire off of the wheel any tire repair shop (discount, tires plus etc) can do an internal "radial patch" for you. They are effective and I've ridden on them for many many miles without issue.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 08:57 AM
TFOG did an internal patch on a brand new AVON rear for me once :cry:. I put 6K very hard miles on the shoe after that without issue. The puncture was dead center in a tread grove.

Messina748
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks.

~Barn~
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Not sure if you'll find a shop that will perform the patch/plug for you....

Either that, or any tire place will.
:lol:

Thanks Scott.

daemon
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 10:28 AM
i have yet to find a place that will do tire plugs.
liability they say.

i have a tire that i had someone put a cheap fiber plug in.
it's held up for me and i still have it.
i usually reserve these for the non-agressive riding season

The GECCO
Wed Jun 20th, 2007, 10:39 AM
TFOG did an internal patch on a brand new AVON rear for me once :cry:. I put 6K very hard miles on the shoe after that without issue. The puncture was dead center in a tread grove.

+1

Take it to TFOG, those guys are awesome

cogsxr
Sun Jul 8th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Some shops have told them they won't do it. I have had good luck with Slim (the green stuff).

DevilDuc
Mon Jul 9th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Well ... I personally would not recommend Slime for street motorcycle tires for several reasons, with the main one being that it will cause the tire to be out of balance at higher speeds. Using Slime on a motocrosser or bicycle is fine, but a street bike is a different story due to the consistently higher speeds (and resluting tire resonance) that you would be running.

As long as the puncture is small enough, and is at least an inch and a half from the sidewall, you should be able to remove the tire and install a radial plug-patch inside the tire as a permanent repair. Tire plugs that are installed from the outside of the tire are meant as a temporary repair to get you to a shop that can replace the tire for you. If you installed a tire plug to get you to the shop, the hole that is reemed out in order for the plug to fit will usually render the tire un-repairable using a plug-patch inside of the tire.

If you check most motorcycle tire company websites, they will state that depending on the type of puncture, you should be able to make an effective permenant repair using a plug-patch. The caveat is that this should be done by a "qualified" repair facility, and most bike shops are concerned with liability issues and will refuse to repair the tire for you. I can understand their reluctance to do this type of repair given today's sue-crazy society ... I mean, you do only have "2" tires on the ground, and if you catastrophically lose air in one of them because of a failed repair the the chances of you crashing and getting seriously injured or dying are very high.

I am one of those "qualified" people concerning tire repairs, and I still replace my tire if it has been punctured rather than repairing it. The last thing that I want is to be worried about my tires while riding ... Just my $.02 worth.

AKRider
Mon Jul 9th, 2007, 07:49 PM
+1

Take it to TFOG, those guys are awesome

I just had the guys at TFOG patch my brand new rear tire (why do they always pick up nails when they are new???) and they had it done in 15 minutes! I'm very impressed and will be taking my business there in the future.

daemon
Tue Jul 10th, 2007, 12:28 AM
i recently had a small brad nail invade a 4000 mile tire.
what is the location of TFOG?

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM
i recently had a small brad nail invade a 4000 mile tire.
what is the location of TFOG?

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=tfog&near=Golden,+CO&fb=1&cid=39723110,-105179683,12626603483230082600&li=lmd&z=14&t=m

daemon
Tue Jul 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM
thank NN

AKRider
Tue Jul 10th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Check out the website

www.tfogracing.com